Artist and band photos

Skip to the bottom

• @nadine 2 weeks

Today I'd like to come up with a quite interesting topic: Artist and band photos!

How and where did you get yours?
    Are you contented with these?
    Where did you get the inspiration where to shoot and what to wear?
    Do strangers associate you with the right genre or instrument?

Let me hear your thoughts!

• @nadine 2 weeks

I have lots of trouble with this topic for multiple reasons.
    I don't have the slightest idea how and where to take pictures of me. I'm songwriter and producer - not an instrumentalist. I don't own a studio and I write music in lots of different genre. I don't feel associated with a certain scene or fashion.
    I have paid for some photo shootings and they gone awry, so the photo you're seeing here is shot by a acquaintance. I think he nailed this better than photographers I paid, but I still have the impression, that strangers associate me with the wrong genre(s).
    Sometimes I feel like it's easier to imagine a cool photo shoot for another artist / band than finding an appropiate setting and outfit for me.

I'm looking forward to your ideas and stories. Maybe some of you have had the same issues... or know how to solve this.

• @coolparadiso  2 weeks

I am fortunate as my wife is a photographer and she takes pictures everyday so we talk photos regularly! She has done 5 of my album covers i think! I still like my first one best. It was fairly simple the main idea was to capture how i felt i should look to match the music and the title! The album was called highway of life so we took it next to a highway with me dressed a bit like a wandering troubadour with my guitar on my back. I uses the Vista of my favourite landscape near my home for my album Vista! My theory is make a link between the pic and the album and make it something you like!

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

I don't think an image necessarily defines "you", versus you defining the image that you use to indicate "you".

To me, a fine example is, came to mind immediately and could cite them in bulk:

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

A little less esoteric possibly? What kind of music you think you're gonna hear, here?

• @tcelliott  2 weeks

I have shit photos and I'm not happy with them. But, then, I'mnot entirely unhappy with them either. I just mock shit up and go with them. I did like the Tik Tok Tinman album cover for our Evil Grin release. And the Hold This single cover isn't awful. But pictures of me suck so I don't like them.

• @nadine 2 weeks

@coolparadiso
    Lucky one! You make me curious but I cannot find your pictures! I like your idea about album covers.

@ustaknow
    A wonderful approach I haven't thought about yet. I think this workd fairly well for album and single covers. I'm speaking of photos of yourself for radio stations, interviews etc. that are not related to a special release.

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

Ahhh..., here you go:

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

I realise you are now referring to straight pictures. All I can say is in my experience, - you'd never recognise'em in person anyway πŸ˜‰ Unless "that' is part of your Product, e.g., Britney Spears, Hannah Montana (not what she looks like, Taylor Swift, Tiny Tim... don't let a "Producer" guide you (always a bad idea).

E.g., Tal Wilkenfeld arguably may be an example of image change, direction and not optimal response. However Hannah Montana did transition to Miley Cyrus and survive it.

One associate I've known for a long time tried to transition from one "real-face" image ? to another, and had a hard time doing it. I tried not to laugh, but, it was hard not to. So, the eye makeup and beautiful hair with extentions finally had to go and made it hard to take him seriously, esp if the waist long hair pics showed up. The interview was ony about *that, nothing else.

Like the last interview I saw with Billy Bob Thornton when trying to transition to "musician", - that was an ugly interview due to his real life "new" image. It's like throwing on a cowboy hat and 10 lb belt buckle and calling yourself a cowboy, - you may get your ashes beat out of you.

So, for "Radio" do you need a promo, face image? or is an Icon (of mystery) more functional? I'd guess it depends on agenda, effect intent.

Imagine Paul Simon other than his, kind of locked in, Branded image. Or Miley Cirus now as Hannah Montana πŸ˜€

- Prior to what you ask, - what is it you want to do? Specifically and why?

A $3 Polaroid may be the best solution, not the soft lense, full make up, - is that the person in the picture, glamour shot, - promo-pic, or not?

It's like music itself, -- all arguable, and once niched, that's it. However, most folks do not know how to "market", anything.

Certain artist are fun to watch evolve, e.g. E. Clapton, it's all about his music. They just put his name up, then play his music. - So many to consider.

- Pink Floyd comes to mind, a hansome person πŸ˜€

• @nadine 2 weeks

"don't let a "Producer" guide you"
    Good, that I'm producer myself 😁 But yeah, I know what you mean. After my first photoshoot, I looked like a rising RnB singer! In terms of quality, the photos were pretty cool, but I don't do RnB and I cannot sing.
    Still wonder what the stereotype of my music looks like. A bearded guy with mid long hair wearing chucks and leather jacket?! Or even a woman dressed in gothic gowns?! Or a tall hot blonde with sporty clothing?! Sorry, I make music for all these cliches, but I just don't look like ANY of them.

"It's like music itself, -- all arguable, and once niched, that's it. However, most folks do not know how to "market", anything. "
    You're right. I've been niched once and it is really hard to escape! I hate marketing for that reason. Good that I'm unknown.

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

I like different folks for different reasons, so, e.g., "Jack White" - how many bands, business' and etc., does he belong to? I remember folks saying, "what?, three bands?", really why? Or when he brought back Vinyl and located in nash-ville... and why. I remember his initial websight text, ... something like, "if you don't like it, tough, ebay it"... or likewise πŸ˜€ hahhh. And, you had to subscribe! (One of the pioneers of that too if one maps that out, who what when.)

People will niche you, no matter what. And, some folks want a very specific niche'd person in some things. So, it goes back to, first, - what is it you want to do and why. I see your "answer" in what you say but you don't say it.

And glad you got my humor πŸ˜€ You should see some of the stuff I say about "Producers". In that regard, like anything, there are folks that provide great, highly valuable service and advice, and then there are those who have convinced folks they do, however, do not. How they do that and proceed is an interesting study, (not what I'd want to do).

It's said, one may call their self the "leader", or just look, see whom, what folks are following regardless of status quo, peer pressure. It's actually a formal study, "Organizational Behavior" under management-leadership, or likewise πŸ˜€ leadership-management. So, to say, - not opinion spewing here, - you can vet and study this self engaged.

- Just when you're rich an famous, (reference) me πŸ˜‰ some person you ustaknow who said something one day that may have been somewhat useful, use, full πŸ˜€

• @coolparadiso  2 weeks

@nadine i put the links on your wall.

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

"... Still wonder what the stereotype of my music looks like. ... ... You're right. I've been niched once and it is really hard to escape! I hate marketing for that reason. ..."

- So, I don't see other developing here concerning this.

"... ... Maybe some of you have had the same issues... or know how to solve this."

I don't see things getting "solved" within topics such as this and espcially from folks of different cultures and languages and head space at the time. However, I do see great ideas coming out of comments made and then considered later over time. That's a topic itself that never gets developed propery in a forum thread anywhere.

So, for me, it goes back to your focus and goal and not necessarilty from as I read what you ask, then comment as this develops.

Briefly, you may be incorrect in your thought of need for a headshot as you specify for your reasons. Moreover if one is necessary for some reason, and you're not happy with any, - the shot setup for "it" then face the other way, back of you head. It's a great effect and not a new idea, but many don't even realise it.

Then consider others who are where you want to be and observe what they do, - copy it for yourself.

1 of 2

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

2 of 2

Every one knows the Stones by the "mouth and tongue", - no pics and if Keiths name under it, - good'nuf.

There is actually "studies" concerning, e.g., context being "online" and teaching and learning (like this), call it what you like - "university", labels are useless since are misguiding.

So a professor does not ID their face, last name or even "real" name (nick), gender etc. - and the class goes a certain way. Introduce a Photo, Old White Man, Young Beautiful Non-white Female, etc., and it goes another way.

- Consider THAT element of why, and you may redirect you effect.

Me, in one class, I had a "Chimp" in a collared shirt and tie with animated thumbs up (real photo) - and that always had the intended effect I wanted. Many online use a bakini clad young female and are obviously not that and have another effect. Then there are accurate photos which then actually work against you though you think is not (very much wrong, but, who can advise that πŸ˜€ ).

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

From an "Expert" πŸ˜€ (OMG) I love this stuff:

"... ...
    You have an [opportunity] coming up... You’re getting [ready]. But you need to make sure you have butts in seats, and chances are you don’t have a big budget to market your event.
    One of the most important things to consider at the grass-roots marketing level is a good poster that is distributed in the [*]community about your concert. But coming in just behind that in importance are good publicity photos [- no, define "good"].

Let’s talk about the why and how of publicity photographs with answers to some important questions.

1. Should I pay for a professional photographer or use my cell phone? Let’s not even talk about using your cell phone. The difference between a selfie and a professional image is vast and speaks volumes as to how seriously you take yourself, your career, and your brand { B U L L S H I T ! }. You want to stand out in a remarkable way { M U S I C A L L Y } – not be simply another silly phone photo on Instagram. Plus, a professional image is the difference between getting published in newspapers and online zines or not. Publications want and respect good quality imagery and you need publicity! [again] { B U L L S H I T ! }

A true professional photographer will work with you to develop [- $$$] the look and feel that you want to project to the world. This is called Personal Branding Photography. Most headshot and portrait photographers do this kind of work and specialize in it. This is why your buddy Joe who shoots landscapes is not a good choice to shoot your publicity photos – they are different specialties. Choose a photographer who specializes in publicity/headshot work for the best results. [again] { B U L L S H I T ! }
    ... "

- Art "degrees" are "specialized"? Which art is that?

1of2

• @ustaknow 2 weeks

2of2

I had a moment this fine morning and decided to [ "how to pick a publicity head shot" ] internet search πŸ˜€ I would never have done it if not for thinking of this now. I just know the 100% krappolla I'd read, predictably.

In the "art" world there are those who are what I'll lable "homeless" and do not have the money for krappe like this; and, the suburban "hobbiest" who has the money and "they" will take it. There's also the "miserable egotist" that is just sure we've all made a mistake in not recognising their greatness and go eveyhwere they can to advise this unfortunate mistake all have made πŸ˜€ Everywhere πŸ˜€

The movement I like to cite is the "coffee house" era that ended doo wop and birthed R&R, Punk, Grunge, et alia... (lots of overlap, as human history goes, in general), - it was not the "posters" that got folks interested, it was the "Posters".

An artist I like to cite is John Denver, - drove around, found a town, found a venue, stapled "posters" around town, did the deed and moved on. People came because of his work product. Likely the "simple" poster was MORE effective, for so many reasons.

So, get past the { B U L L S H I T ! } that some "expert" on the Internet "said...".

- Am I an expert you should listen to? No. However, my first degree concerned "art" and worked as a photographer in various capacities, private, news print, recruited for adult but passed - NYC is just full of money and "opportunities" to screw up πŸ˜€ Also, if you give the right person a back rub, that seems to make a difference, ummm, no, but thanks πŸ˜‰

Remember, music is part of the "art" world; and in my observation and experience "that" is not how it works, if even a way in for some people. The ones that last, - work, and wait and remain ready for, - if called; like any other "job". And they make friends since *are, authentic, friends, no BS-artists trying for Facebook likes, et alia, as further e.g. Many great artists are not very likable πŸ˜€ status quo BS standards. πŸ˜‰

• @chipwithrow  2 weeks

I've been following this thread - it's nice that we're using post-FAWM to address some interesting issues!
    To start, I'll answer @nadine's fourth question: Yes, people would associate me with genre based upon my photos. And that's because I'm usually doing something (see my profile pic) in the photo.
    Back when I did music for kids and families, my first album back cover was me showing my daughter a bloom on our lemon tree. My second was me performing, wearing a brightly colored hat. That was years ago, when our college freshman daughter was 4-5 years old.
    These days, my wife and I own a yoga studio, so photos of us are part of the marketing. And me being a musician is part of that marketing.
    The photos I mentioned above for my album covers were taken by my wife, probably on a cheap digital camera at the time. And many of the marketing photos of me over the years are phone photos taken by my wife or our daughter. We do have a semi-pro yoga teacher/photographer/social media person on staff, and she does great work, too, but spur-of-the-moment phone photos can often be just as awesome!
    And to answer the question about where to shoot and what to wear: lots of outdoors photos, and usually in shorts and a t-shirt because that's what I wear almost every day.

• @ustaknow 1 week

chip - yes, as you say.

And in your example, I am aware of, IMO, - if one went to much, e.g., "slick" if makes sense, "glamour shots" or high quality ? so to speak, if makes sense, - could have an unintended effect.

If one, back to cover art (versus publicity head-shots), got to slick, - they could be commented as "all hat and no cattle" πŸ˜€ (if the tracks did not go over as well as the cover art).
    - Ever walk into a road side bar and everyone's wearing a HD T-shirt, but your bike is the only one in the lot out front? Very weird experience and, don't stay beyond using the Toilet.

- On a side note and not sure if folks even considered this much in their "IRL" stuff, -- all the side stuff folks do could be added value into your local following concerning, e.g., a "Yoga" practice. "If", folks there used CD's or know to rip them for the mp3s, or just burn mp3s, upon new folks sign up, etc.-other, - they'd get a "candy bag" of stuff. I would think if one is relaxing, and to, e.g., your music, - that could have a good effect, longitudinally.

Also, add in, "rewards" for say, e.g., 5 year Students (followers of the music, etc.-other), a 1x a year, House Concert, B-B-Q (tofu or beef? πŸ˜€ ) and etc. Accessibility, concerning the music and in all the Genre one engages, I don't personally see many artists engaging for any reason, let alone "appropriate", if even "soft" promotion. Folk will simply like your art, visual, written, etc.

I'll example "Praise and Worship", a genre that sort of shot itself in the foot in my region. Rather than, - engaging others in "it", orig-music, et alia, - they made their "Selves" as "exclusive" as a "stepping stone" to "rock stardom". That krappolla lasted a good while too and yet the good it did "them", unwound other things and, - not to good effect.

There are actually a number, if not "many" places that music is now an issue, not a blessing, - which IMO is truly 180 degrees REGARDLESS of Genre, - I just love music, period.

- Rock on πŸ˜€

• @blacksabs 4 days

Reading your comment, I came up with a very interesting idea that will help convey you as a person . You can connect the art in your life with the colors. Take a strict style as a basis and add a little pampering to the frame. Seriously, I can assure you that it will be very interesting. And besides, you can make a beautiful makeup that will emphasize your beauty. I recently took similar pictures and I can advise you to add more false eyelashes to this image acelashes such as these, which will betray a certain farm to your . I hope I was able to help you.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...