The Infinitone - How to escape the tyranny of the Piano!

Skip to the bottom

• @candle  6 weeks

So I stumbled across this interesting article: https://expmag.com/2021/03/it-looks-like-a-saxophone-but-plays-512-...

Yeah, it got my attention. I've played around with temperment, intervals, exotic tunings & other non-western musical tools in the past. It's something I've always been very interested in. This new instrument (& its soon to be released software) seems to really open up some interesting possibilities. I might just have to get my hands on the software when it's released. Hopefully it's a VST 😁

See You In The Shadows…

• @fuzzy  6 weeks

That does look extremely interesting!!
    I was really enthused until I saw that it was played with an iPad. 😞
    I was hoping for something with no electronics involved.

This article has me thinking; I have a piano I very rarely play.
    Perhaps I should just de-tune the thing and experiment.

• @candle  6 weeks

That sounds like a fun experiment, @fuzzy. I could see you doing all sorts of interesting 50/90 songs on your de-tuned piano.

As for the electronics, yeah I have to agree. But at least it's something new. Maybe someone else might take the idea & make a completely analogue instrument that can achieve similar results.

See You In The Shadows…

• @nadine 6 weeks

So actually... how do you know if you're out of tune?! And how does it go along with instruments which are NOT able to play the in betweens?

• @candle  6 weeks

I guess, technically, it can't be out of tune, maybe? And as for playing with standard tuned instruments, it might be a challenge, but not an unsurmountable one. A little math, physics & creative composing should do the trick (as has been done with non-western instruments when they are integrated into western bands). Or, you just perform solo - or in a group of Infinitones.

See You In The Shadows…

• @nadine 6 weeks

A fretless bass, violin or something could work. But a piano?!
    My mind is bugging out imagining musicians in their rehearsal talking about "tuning" and "scale". It may sound like this:
    "Hmmm the main note is 420 Hz and ... hm I think 10 per octave is a good division so 210 Hz would be the octave below. Does someone have a logscaler?!" - "Sorry, man, how do I compute logarithm?!" - "Waaaa my sticky dots just fell from my bass."
    Fascinating and daunting at the same time.

• @fuzzy  6 weeks

Actually composing?
    Nah, straight up improv would be my preference.

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

Trombone as a pairing with an infinitone makes sense.

• @fuzzy  6 weeks

Or the human voice.

• @nerdjealous  6 weeks

I would buy this if it was made into a physical instrument. I haven't read the article but this concept is something that I wish to dabble in.

Can imagine this opening up some cool perspectives on the electric guitar/slide if it was made as such to allow that kinda thing.

• @sph  6 weeks

I remember that a schoolfriend's DX21 had several temperament settings back in the day. For those keyboards it's just another calculation.
    More difficult is playing with an orchestra not tuned to 440Hz. For example the Vienna Philharmonic use 443 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Philharmonic) - Toto did learn this the hard way when they had to recut all their prerecorded stuff for the Dune Soundtrack.
    But I disgress...

• @dzdandcunfsd  6 weeks

I love his complicated answer about how he thought that up.
    I think he just saw a Futurama episode with a holophoner 🤣

I agree with @fuzzy though sad its not really analog in any way.

Pedal/lap steels with lots of strings and no frets could accompany that in any way. Violins/Cellos/etc. as well as a trombone like @metalfoot said. Pianos can also be tuned into any myriad of possibilities even most uprights all but the bassiest octave have 3 strings to tune for each note.

That software could be fun to play with though!

• @candle  6 weeks

The old pre-hard-drive-crash version of Jeskola Buzz (aka Old Buzz) used to have an addon programmed by a fellow Canuk that allowed for easy re-tuning of the entire program. You just clicked on a menu & selected a new basic frequency tune by typing in a new value (other than 440 Hz). I still keep a copy of Old Buzz with the addon (called Overloader) for when I want to play around in odd tunings. I wish "New Buzz" had the same sort of tuning ability. It's the one thing I really wish someone would code into the the program (like they did for the old one).

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  6 weeks

@dzdandcunfsd holophoner for the win! 😁 That's one of the best episodes of the series, IMHO.

See You In The Shadows…

• @dzdandcunfsd  6 weeks

@candle I've seen them all so many times, but had just watched that one the other day too right before I saw the picture of that thing 🤣 I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite but that one and the truckstop bathroom egg salad sandwich one never fail to make me laugh.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...