Project Notebook?

Skip to the bottom

• @nerdjealous  5 weeks

Does anyone keep notebooks with their ideas in to prepare for songwriting challenges? I'm wanting to keep a simple notebook with my ideas in, similar to how Kurt Cobain / Richey James would as they came up with ideas, wrote down catchy quotes or references to past art/literature.
    Edit: I’ve ended up with a cheap notepad from the book store for when on the go. Does the job fine for me and I like the pattern on it!

• @rayboneor  5 weeks

I would be lost without google docs. I do like the idea of writing in an old school notebook, but I tend to forget where they are. And when I come across stacks of my old notebooks I notice that they are mostly empty, once you get past the first few pages. I wouldn't be able to do FAWM without google docs and voice memos

• @dzdandcunfsd  5 weeks

I have probaby 50 or 60 little tiny pocket sized paper notebooks and whie I do lose them all the time just the physical act of writing something down usually helps me to remember it later. The ones I do have and can find are written on in barely legible writing in every available area so I rarely make it very far into reading one before an idea gets sparked.

• @quork  5 weeks

I keep a journal, full of thoughts, song ideas, descriptions of what’s going on around me. During FAWM it gets filled up with song ideas, rough drafts, finished songs. At the beginning of each FAWM l go through it to see if there are any ideas I think I can work with. I also use Notes and Memos on my iPhone during FAWM yo capture ideas and work on lyrics wherever I am.

• @zecoop  5 weeks

As I do not write lyrics, I guess it is not surprising that I do not have any kind of notebook or way to write down ideas. My songs are born in the moment every time. I have tried recording ideas to work on later, but they never get worked on later. The one exception are drum tracks. I record a bunch usually onto 8-track cassettes and then write songs to them one at a time. But I have no idea what the actual SONG will be when I record the drum parts, which are arranged as a song might be. It's cool how everyone has different methods. 😀

• @johnstaples  5 weeks

I keep text notes in a memo app on my Android phone. I also record snippets of musical ideas on the phone. I find the musical ideas harder to come back to because you have to listen instead of a quick visual scan. A bunch of my FAWM songs came from notes. I also like a written journal but like someone else said I rarely finish one and routinely misplace them!

• @andygetch  5 weeks

I now primarily use Scrivener for generating music ideas and free writing. However I still do use notebooks.

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

I used to start a new notebook for each FAWM, the first few years I took part. But now I mostly use Paper, the Dropbox notes app / website which is like a very stripped down version of Google docs - I like that it doesn't have too much Stuff going on. I also like that I can work on a lyric there, then fire up the app on my phone to use as a prompt when I'm recording the vocals.

I do still keep a notebook around though, it's nice to write things down occasionally.

• @gm7  5 weeks

I do write down chord progressions or ideas..but mostly i develop a song "on the fly" from a simple riff, drum loop or maybe a potential song title. I do make an effort to write down the final mixed song in some sort of structured format mainly on paper...if i don't ...I will forget. Now were are my glasses???

• @nadine 5 weeks

I use my notes app, voice recording app or post its for rough ideas and wait for 2-3 weeks. If they don't develop into a at least full song part, they are thrown away. Otherwise they are rough produced in my DAW or torn into a lyrics or chord sheet. But I only print these when finished. Yes, my songwriting folder is made of paper and collects (nearly) all lyrics and chord sheets I've ever written. That's important for me.
    Bullet journals or sketch notes didn't work for me.

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

For, me, the best "idea", is the one in the moment, and that's what gets used. I make more, all the time 😀 - ideas. All context driven.

However, stuff gets culled. That's called the krappe pile.

I have piles, years old. However, I know where each one is and what's in it and where 😀 One day, someone tried to "help" me and cleaned up. It was like erasing a fragmented harddrive, that was working quite fine prior to the defragmenting; then, - need to be formatted and reloaded.

Fortunately, I subscribe to the best idea is the one now, - and fcukit, burn it all, and start over paradigm. So, literally all burned (in the "organ-ized" pile 😀 ), in the wood heater and now I have new piles, many years old and my "helper" helps me in other ways 😀 hahhh! However, I'm always in need of firestarter!

Anytime, anywhere, I say, - "want to write a song, right now, rite!?" Sometimes they do; sometimes they think they can't just do it, without a whollotta stuff, so do not. Every great piece of music started on a dirty napkin, envelop back and 1+1 in that moment or not. So, seeing a few methods of "how-to" in my life, I went for the pile it up and burn it down method, - it's greener and the flowers love the ash.

- Rough ideas, are the demos and live on Bandcamp.

• @phenola 5 weeks

Not a notebook, but I do try to film riffs that I come up with when I'm doodling around on a guitar. I had about twenty riff ideas in a folder on my desktop at the start of February. I think I used about half a dozen of them.

• @candle  5 weeks

I had a Word Perfect Lightning session with a bunch of ideas scrolled onto a note that was sort of my catch-all brainstorm sheet for FAWM. Beyond that, I do carry a notebook around with me everywhere (in my ever present backpack full of useful & not-so-useful items). I used to do a lot of journal-like entries - more passing observations at a given moment in space/time - back when I was in university (and the odd time since). But, it's a practice that fell into disuse as I've aged. Something I've always thought I should start to do again.

See You In The Shadows…

• @gubna 5 weeks

Yeah it’s a real good idea.

What if google docs goes bye bye?
    Write down the important stuff. Or print lyrics out and keep in a few places.

Back up on drives.

• @scottlake 5 weeks

My prized possession notebook is one made by my high school band mates. He ended up being the keyboard player in The Verve Pipe and I became an engineer in the automotive industry.

He makes notebooks using old LP covers for the covers. Mine has Big Country’s self titled album and it’s one of the coolest things I own. Tablature and regular staves, blank pages, etc. He sells them on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/LykaStore. These are truly one of a kind and I think every FAWMer needs one!

• @scottlake 5 weeks

Note, no really listenable vinyl is sacrificed in the process!

• @quork  5 weeks

@scottlake Very cool.

• @dzdandcunfsd  5 weeks

@scottlake those are pretty cool, and would make a good tough durable cover that's still flexible enough if you carry one in a backback and might need bent a little to not be awkward.

• @nadine 5 weeks

@scottlake Such a great idea! I really miss cover artwork in these days of digital streaming.

• @tunecat  3 weeks

I keep meaning to. Like others. I start with a notebook, which I lose. And then sometimes I'll write the chord sequence down while working on something - though it's actually usually only the bass notes. And I write lyrics most often on an app - notes. So tend to type rather than write. I tend also, to create the song in one bash, and rarely go back to it (though it does occasionally happen). I quite often slightly over-write.. as I find it useful to have words to play around with and cull rather than the other way around. I mostly write the first part of the song with music, and then ensure I've got enough lyrics to finish the song, but increasingly the lyrics might be generated (or at least some of them) whilst on the DAW.. so they get recorded rather than notebooked.. I do use the notebook function of the DAW. I hate unfinished lyrics tho... as I basically find that its like the proverbial "sow's ear" if for some reason a lyric wasn't working: its pretty much a given that it won't come together .. I sort of beleive that lyrics flow from a state of mind, almost a snapshot of time, and hence any return to them beyond minor tweaks is doomed. Back on topic: this year I ended up doing youtube videos all unlisted. It could be an interesting "notebook" or journal. There were still probably a dozen or so tunes that failed to make it. I think what's useful is maybe to have recordings of ideas and impros that you listen back to (before deleting at some point) and that feeds into what you're writing in the now. Not deliberately reproducing ideas you once had, but finding that they are getting developed by being "watered".

• @jonmeta  2 weeks

Yes.
    No. 2 Staedtler pencil and a small notebook in my bag during February.
    Large notebook on the music stand. Both are a mess of notes written every which way, scratchings out, circles and arrows... Those plus going for walks are the tools that get ideas moving. Otherwise I just stare blankly into space trying to "be creative" and getting nothing.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...