NY Times on the diminished hegemony of the chorus

Skip to the bottom

• @rayboneor  8 weeks

The NY Times has an interesting article today about how streaming is affecting the way songs are written. In particular, the authors discuss the waning influence of the verse/chorus model in pop music. It's probably behind a paywall: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/03/14/opinion/pop-music-so...

• @mardeycranbleson 8 weeks

Not sure if I have heard it much but I don't really listen to current music much. But if it's true I welcome the trend, not really as a listener but as a songwriter. I get sick of hearing my songs if they go much past the 2 minute mark and I've started to accept that I don't need 3 choruses or whatever I'm just going to do what I want. I've been making songs with basically a verse and a transition and damn the rest! I'm starting to think of them as little self contained sketches. Interesting article thanks for posting.

• @emkaydeebee  8 weeks

Fascinating article - thanks for sharing it. Interesting to see the changes and developments over time, including recognising the verse/chorus model as one such example of change/development.

• @ustaknow 8 weeks

Great topic.

How we listened to music has been influence by tech since there was a way to record it, e.g., player pianos were a hot item at one point and all anyone wanted to own, was the paper; then, the sheet music to sell to all since, well, no radio, TV or internet 😀 - just each other. So, to keep from killing each other, you sang songs at each other? 😉

Then when a behemoth machine was delivered from town to town across America a few year ago, to "record" masters 😀 on round hard wax discs, for reproduction, so when "Record Players" were then sold for the first time, - they had something to play (Jack White did an excellent documentary on that if care to look it up, - worth the time, imo). You had ONE mic for ALL and "Mixed" by placement. Also, your Tempo was dictated by the amount of time it took the weight to drop on the machine to cut that track. 😀

Once amplified instruments came into existence, the music changed significantly, 180 degrees what "pop" music was, then became; tech influenced to be sure. No one wanted to play the Tuba anymore anyway 😀

Then, hmm, lets give the Beatles the credit on this one, - Studio only music that could not be performed live unless have a separate live version as T. Swift does today, (several from tiny venu to fantasy video), - that influenced it. (Lets throw in Tull, Floyd, Grand Funk 'cause I like'em, Hendrix, say circa 1972 "narrow band/focus/free-musicians music era stuff.) Nile Rogers, "always" started with the Hook in the Chorus first seconds of the song, then proceeded.

- That first 10-15 sec of a track, to grab and keep interest, then formulaic "build" in timed increments, has been around a *long time. Some great "formulas" for song structure are demonstrated in many public domain hymns in many public domain hymnals 😀

Random e.g. search-hit:
    https://youtu.be/5NV6Rdv1a3I
    2013, 9 years ago +- released

• @ustaknow 8 weeks

The sources, many, (so many "experts" 😀 ), vary on "when" about streaming and "what it be" 😉 :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media
    - It could just be a Cultural Deficit Disorder Thing'y of which many seem to be developing just recently 😀

It may have nothing to do with streaming or music, cause, effect, affect, - like I said, interesting topic!

Oh, yeah, and the Grammy's are in the news too, so that may drive the NYT's topic$ 😉 hahhh, nahh, never! 😀

• @ustaknow 8 weeks

So, searching on:
    [most recent hit as of March 2021 pop music]

Brings up in random hit:
    https://youtu.be/UVHCUSuvCos

- None of it I'd necessarily listen to; one or two pop up within it, and esp within the other disparate songs 😀 sound pretty good; - but not formulaic as I hear them in 10 sec pass 😀 hahh!

Allot sounded like the same song? Well, other than the stuff that did not 😀

- Get off my lawn! 😉

• @ustaknow 8 weeks

Ah so, between other stuff, I'm doing online,
    - I thought, hmmm, I don't think to much stuff is "new" 😀

https://youtu.be/v2AC41dglnM

1990, 31 years ago. And, it's all hook 😀 hahh!

Starts with hook, structure? 😀 formulaic or non? So, now I'm comfortable with the NYT's being wrong, - again 😀 hahhh!

But, great topic! 😀

• @zecoop  8 weeks

It would have been interesting, but the reality is that "Hendrix, say circa 1972" was very very very quiet. 😞
    You are right, Jimi near the end, 1970 - very adventurous and experimental in a completely different way than he was adventurous and experimental with the Experience, I agree. And Nile was/is a freaking genius. Hit them with that hook. 😀

• @phenola 7 weeks

The guitar solo was always the best part anyway.

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

@phenola +1

• @andygetch  7 weeks

Interesting article.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...