Daylight Saving Time

Skip to the bottom

• @jmadison  Mar 13

Well, this is definitely shameless self promotion, but I thought it was a good day for it. This year I wrote a song about how we shift the clock twice a year. Here it is:

https://fawm.org/songs/123070/

And, remember to shift your clocks (if it applies to your time zone) tonight.

• @candle  8 weeks

DST makes me *almost* want to move to Atikoken, Ontario or Saskatchewan. *Almost* (two places in Soviet Canukastan where they don't do DST).

See You In The Shadows…

• @yam655  7 weeks

They don't do DST in Arizona.

In Indiana they only recently adopted DST. It did, however, allow for modern studies on the effectiveness of the process.

Guess what they found?

1. It _wastes_ a significant amount of electricity. It shifts daylight to hours that people aren't awake or outside so more lights are used.

2. It _kills_ people. There's a statistically significant increase in deaths when we lose the hour. Nurses, doctors, long-haul truck drivers and anyone else with 12-hour shifts have a much harder time recovering from the lost time. This takes at least two weeks before death rates taper back down to normal.

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

I love DST. We should move to it and never return, imo. It's the changing that I hate.

• @jmadison  7 weeks

I grew up in Indiana, near Chicago so we did do the daylight shifting hokey pokey. But I went to college in Terre Haute and then lived in Bloomington for a few years. That was all before the rest Indiana decided to join the madness.

I really don't care which time it is, I just want the shifting to stop. My favorite compromise (and the last lyrics of the song) is, "Can't we just move it by a half an hour and quit?"

Anyway, I had a lot of fun doing the song. So there's the bright side. (pun intended)

• @tuneslayer  7 weeks

I'd be all for going to DST on a year round basis (or stay at standard time, which would be OK too) but I've been told there's a federal law that states that, while you can opt out of DST entirely, you can't vote to stay on DST year-round and not go back to standard time. Which I don't get, but I didn't make the rules.

I heard a proposal a while back that we split the US into two time zones, probably at the Mississippi, with everyone in the east being on New York time and everyone in the west on Los Angeles time. And we do away with DST. But I doubt that would fly either.

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

Slightly off topic, but it was cool researching standardized time in the U.S. Basically, the railroads had important reason not to have different times in each town/county/state (not having crashes because trains weren't on the same time) and eventually railroad time became standard (more or less.)

• @kenmattsson  7 weeks

Living in the Boston area, we are waaaay east in the Eastern Time Zone, and it's horrible. We should be in the Atlantic Time Zone with Nova Scotia, etc. Only when we go on DST is it manageable. I get so depressed when we change back in November, and changing to DST in March is my favorite day of the year. If we stayed on standard time, our sunrise in June would be 4 a.m. and sunset in December is 4 p.m. (Maine is even worse!)

I'd love it if we were switched to Atlantic time, and then went on DST in March.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...