PSA: The site will go into "hybernation" on ***APRIL 14*** this year!

Skip to the bottom

• @burrsettles  7 weeks

Lovely fawmer friends!

I hope you'll agree that this was one of the BEST. FAWMs. EVER!

This is a public service announcement that β€” since most of the FAWM action happens January-March β€” this year the admins agreed to take the website offline on ***APRIL 14***, and will re-open it fresh in January next year. We'll replace it with a landing page that includes some cool stats, testimonials, other info, and an email signup for would-be fawmlings who find us during the off-season.

We actually used to do this in the early years. More recently we have tried leaving it open year-round, but it generally turns into a ghost town overrun by spammers around April anyway. This is painful to maintain and doesn't leave a good impression on newcomers, so this year we are going back to our roots!

This means you have until April 14 to leave comments, participate in the forums, and archive your 2021 activity:
    https://fawm.org/myfawm/archive/

In the meantime, make sure to follow FAWM on your social media platform(s) of choice! This year, we plan to have some fun social content and announcements for the FAWM community year-round, so that's a great way to stay in touch during the off-season:
    - https://www.instagram.com/fawmers/
    - https://twitter.com/fawm
    - https://www.facebook.com/fawmers

Don't worry, we'll bump this thread a few more times and send out reminders via social media and email as the April 14 date draws near...

Thanks again for making this such an amazing, record-breaking FAWM!

ALSO: Big thanks to @ericdistad and @jendistad who handle donations, file-hosting, and merch... as well as @headfirstonly, @helenseviltwin, @nancyrost @robynmackenzie, @ductapeguy, and @timfatchen who are our fearless site admin/moderators!

• @burrsettles  7 weeks

A few other resources for those of you who want to stay in touch with the community during the off-season, there is a Facebook group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmers

There also some **UNOFFICIAL** Slack and Discord communities, although someone who is more involved in those should chime in with links...

• @metalfoot  7 weeks

Wow, uh, OK. Makes sense but this is new turf for me! I will be sure to get at and comment like crazy this month and archive like crazy next month! 😁

• @lennie  7 weeks

Kinda sad, as I thought I had a year's worth of listening ahead of me.

• @sapient  7 weeks

Thanks for the heads-up @burrsettles! 😁

• @alyxanderjames  7 weeks

Appreciate the PSA, @burrsettles - will be sure to get my listening, commenting, and downloading in this month!

• @aeye 7 weeks

Can do join the fawm slack if you want to keep on chatting with folks all year round! Fawm.slack.com

• @andygetch  7 weeks

I'm all for whatever works best to keep this viable.

• @aeye 7 weeks

Can also. Ugh the eye hasn’t had enough coffee today

• @johnstaples  7 weeks

@burrsettles wait, I was asking for *more* time not less! πŸ˜€ This is actually an interesting development as it has made me more mindful of getting my listening and commenting done in March!

Oh and thanks for FAWM and for all you do to keep it nice for us to play in!!!

• @celineellis  7 weeks

Is this a sign of some site overhaul and feature updates?! πŸ₯°πŸ₯°

• @leslie  7 weeks

Thanks for letting us know @burrsettles - this gives us time to do what we need to do and months of downtime to the admin/mod teams who TOTALLY deserve it!!

• @psyt 7 weeks

Based on my experience in previous years, I think you've chosen a pretty good arbitrary point for it. I'm setting myself a reminder to archive stuff on the 13th. πŸ˜€

• @headfirstonly  7 weeks

Given that I've just suspended another two spam accounts that popped up in the last hour, I think this is the best way forward. And I think it will make us treasure FAWM all the more because it's not a whole-year-round thing.

• @mariekevinkmusic  7 weeks

@burrsettles If we need to pass the hat around to collect money so you can take a whole year off to re-code the site, let me know and I shall whip out my baseball cap πŸ˜‰ You spend so much time on keeping it running...

• @airbagtester  7 weeks

I can't imagine what it looks like for a real person who decides to sign up in July or something if the site is actually up and running...

• @carleybaer  7 weeks

At first I was like "aww man!" but in the time since reading the PSA and grazing through the comments to get here, I'm actually really onboard for this. Not only for the mods/admins to not have to spam-hunt for most of the year, but also having an end date means I actually will get around to my listening. Before, the lack of deadline meant "I'll get around to it" and surprise surprise, I never would. Having a nice mid-April deadline means lots of time to get to everything, and knowing they'll actually see the comments when they come back to archive.

+100

• @unpronounceable 7 weeks

😞

• @yam655  7 weeks

I'll rely upon Slack and email to stay in the know.

I do want to say that I signed up for FAWM in April of 2011. I was convinced to try FAWM instead of just be a listener around October of 2013.

If the FAWM site weren't available during the off-season, I'd never have found my place here.

I understand when things are unmaintainable, though. When the site gets the rewrite, perhaps some other solutions regarding spam mitigation can be considered. (Simplest alternative I can think of would be to suspend new signups while still allowing existing folks to use the site.)

• @johncrossman  7 weeks

I'm already looking forward to next year, thanks Burr!

• @tuneslayer  7 weeks

This is your standard everyday "me too" post. My only real complaint is that I don't do Facebook or Instagram so it will be harder to keep track of events; on the other hand, I'm on the FAWM Slack and at least one Discord where a few FAWMers hang out, so there's that.

Here's a contribution to the cause: A little poem for the FAWM front page after April 21.

Tick, tock, the FAWM is locked
    And nobody else can play
    But never fear, we'll reappear
    In January of next year.

• @klaus 7 weeks

Hah, how ironic that this Greatest Fawm Ever ends in less than six weeks. But that's ok and it's understandable, spam and all.

I used to go to Fawm when the 50/90 Challenge started to check people's music if I didn't remember them. It would be nice if Fawm went hibernating in July.

But I understand the situation. "We'll always have Paris." πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  7 weeks

Another unofficial challenge has sprung up in between FAWM and 50/90. Details at this thread: https://fawm.org/forums/topic/11828/

• @kathym  7 weeks

I'd better make sure I can download some of the great songs I have been hearing so I can enjoy them again at some point.
    I'm sorry to see it go down, but if I'm being honest, I think it's fair to @burrsettles and the team so they don't have to deal with the off-season nonsense.

Okay, so for a moment, let's pretend that I don't know what a slack is ...

• @speciesanomaly  7 weeks

Can’t we just... lockout new registrations or something? I really thought I had more time to listen.... #stupiddoctorate

• @sheilerk  7 weeks

@kathym Can I pretend I don’t know what a Slack or a Dischord, um, Discord is too?

• @dreamscuba  7 weeks

@burrsettles thanks for the heads up!!

• @mariekevinkmusic  7 weeks

When the site returns, will we still have our watchlist?

• @psyt 7 weeks

If I could have one feature request for next year, it'd be for bandcamp based songs to play from within FAWM, without need to open an external link.

• @edwardsmusic 7 weeks

What a pity. In 2018 and 2019 I did leave comments long after the challenge ended (in 2018, I actually got to 200 comments in October).
    I like to periodically check the site from time to time, just to see if there's anything new/any signs of life left!
    I think it'd be more fitting if this were applied to 50/90, given the lesser number of participants over there.

• @johncrossman  7 weeks

@mariekevinkmusic the watchlist usually stays (unless there's some more drastic rebuilding but I think we'd be warned).

Everybody knows this is run by wonderful volunteers, right? Thanks to them and many cheers!

• @coolparadiso  7 weeks

I noticed watchlists usually stay but i screen shot them this time just in case! @mariekevinkmusic . Not losing that hard earned list!

• @ianuarius  7 weeks

@burrsettles Thanks for the heads up!
    Do you think it would be a good idea to add a link and something like "come chat with fawmers at fawm.slack.com" to the landing page? Some people hang around there all year round.

• @lennie  7 weeks

OK. I've read the why and the wherefore and accept this now.

I need to start thinking about it as part of what FAWM itself is all about:

IT'S ANOTHER TIMED CHALLENGE πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

I don't have:
    - https://www.instagram.com/
    - https://twitter.com/
    - https://www.facebook.com/

I'm such a "Neanderthal"; however, we make the best Rock.

Oh, and Roll when we get to that wheel thing-y πŸ˜‰

• @cairobraga  7 weeks

I think this is right and alright. 😁 no amount of thank yous in the world would express the extent of my gratitude to all of the volunteers that keep and have kept this beautiful machine running. let's get to listening, reading and commenting, peeps!

• @gm7  7 weeks

A big shout out to all the volunteers that keep FAWM going.

• @br0th3rh00d 6 weeks

Does the archive stay accessible, who to/how!? What was the instruction there!?

• @wylddandelyon 6 weeks

My only suggestion, which you are free to ignore, is that some people get all focused on taxes in early April, at least here in the US, and it might be kind to archive a few days after tax day instead of the day before.

Thanks for all you do!

• @tamsnumber4  6 weeks

I totally understand and am thankful for everything that is done to keep FAWM going. My only concern is that the FAWM board is one of the main communication pieces for FAWM Stock. Of course, this year there will probably not be one, but maybe a group of FAWM Zoom Stocks? It occurs between FAWM and 50-90, not all folks are on the same social media and FAWM is the place where you can email, not all folks join up at 50/90. Hope if anyone has plans, they can start collecting information now and guide everyone to where they can discuss a summer event.

• @helenseviltwin  6 weeks

Perhaps there could be a link to a 50/90 thread about fawmstock (or another place if better) on the landing page.

• @looprication  6 weeks

@burrsettles - thanks for the explanation...

a humble request:

*please* don't make it like 2013 where the site didn't reopen until like January 30th. The social element in the last two weeks of January is super important to a lot of us, and without it, 2013 was the worst year for me.

I know you added tons of new features that year that have lived on and have made the site and the community better. Just stating a wish and a fact. Cheers.

p.s. Still want your data πŸ˜€

• @stephenwordsmith  6 weeks

If this is going to all disappear in a month, let me take this opportunity to point out that @timfatchen killed JFK. Cheers.

• @johnstaples  6 weeks

@stephenwordsmith while we are sharing true facts... @quork shot the sheriff (but not his assistant)

• @timfatchen  6 weeks

@stephenwordsmith On reading your statement I was dismayed, appalled, horrified. But then I realised my youthful follies were all going to catch up with me one day, and I've had a reasonably long and enjoyable existence. It was Qanon put you onto me, wasn't it? I know I shouldn't have demoted that Iranian spammer the other day...

• @lemonstar 6 weeks

Why not just shut down the forum and close new registrations - at least people can carry on listening and leaving comments?

• @caseewilson  6 weeks

I really like @lemonstar 's suggestion. I often link to tracks if I blog about FAWM. I expect them to break after a year, but a month and a half feels so short...

• @caseewilson  6 weeks

You could close new registrations, but allow interested people to leave details for the mailing list and email when regs reopen. That way, visitors would also see all the support we give eachother on the forums πŸ˜€

• @quork  6 weeks

Don't tell anybody, but @johnstaples is actually Ringo and I'm Paul.

• @coolparadiso  6 weeks

I can confirm I heard from a source it was @timfatchen

• @timfatchen  6 weeks

Dammit are ALL my youthful follies going to line up and accuse me? Aren't the regular nightmares sufficient punishment, with their flared suits and paisley shirts and long socks in sandals??

• @tuneslayer  4 weeks

@timfatchen I fail to see why that bothers you so, it perfectly describes the way I'm dressed right now.

@burrsettles Two questions: (1) Will file hosting for those of us with rock hands still be available? and (2) Will we still be able to access The Muse? I'm guessing (1) is 'yes'; (2) I have no idea but I hope so since I find Titular in particular a source of inspiration.

• @burrsettles  4 weeks

@tuneslayer yes, muse.fawm.org will still be operational, and file hosting URLs will still work, it's just that the corresponding song pages will be offline.

• @burrsettles  3 weeks

Hi all! Just bumping this thread as a reminder! Two more weeks to listen, comment, and archive your stuff!

• @cairobraga  1 week

@burrsettles will there be an email warning for the peoples that might not know?

• @timfatchen  1 week

Three days left! Ticktickticktick (the spammers will be devastated!)

• @ustaknow 1 week

So the way I read this is, - on the 14th it is offline. So, up to 11:59 pm on the 13th posting could occur, - only to be deleted moments later πŸ˜€ (so to speak, after mined for the wisdom it may imbue).

Yet, I am sure there may be someone that comments, "I thought I had the 14th, all day, to still," - "Archive" and etc.
    - Just thinking out-loud and looking more to the 5090 site which I do see stuff noted, "just in case", ish. πŸ˜€

Happy FAWMOVER! πŸ˜€

• @burrsettles  1 week

Actually, this may get pushed back to the weekend, since I haven't had time to make the placeholder site... such is the way things are...

@cairobraga i've gone back and forth on that, but probably should...

• @tcelliott  1 week

@burrsettles Email warning is a must, imo. We rarely have this many people still here in April and a lot of people tend to archive in January. Y'all have always been great about not sending too many emails out (being respectful) but this is one of those necessary times, imo.

• @cairobraga  1 week

@burrsettles Email warning is a must, imho as well. This is a huge change of habits, for the reasons @tcelliott described.

• @johnstaples  1 week

@burrsettles I'm gonna suggest again...just leave it as-is except maybe close commenting on songs and disable forum posts. Let it stand as a static archive, at least until January as everyone has come to expect. Arbitrarily deleting everything now will most certainly result in a bunch of very sad FAWMers who never got the memo! And yes, I agree a mass email would be good but time has already run out on that option.

So many wonderful conversations here. So many lovely songs. So many awesome comments.

So why the rush to erase it all?

• @jwhanberry  1 week

@johnstaples Amen Bro.

• @carleybaer  1 week

@burrsettles personally I'd love it if it were held off til the weekend, and I'm sure I'm not alone on that. (archiving today just in case, but there's still listening and commenting I have to do)

That said, when the day finally arrives, is it gonna be FAWM rules-- i.e. site goes down when it's no longer 4/14 (or what have you) anywhere on earth?

• @candle  1 week

So does activity on the 50-90 site pick up dramatically tomorrow? πŸ˜‰

See You In The Shadows…

• @ustaknow 1 week

@candle - some never left, just not much happening, yet.

It's kind of why I suggest some of the threads I started here, could continue there, - just as an idea. Meaning, - I know I am not the only one who's not on social media any more πŸ˜‰ hahhh... man, I am so glad I kicked that bad habbit; if even just an occasional "look see".
    - There's just nothing at all there of any interest for me. And, I can only handle one project at a time with IRL work, family, etc. I never understood how some belonged to 500? songwriting groups, and et alia the rest of it πŸ˜€

If all the folks I am "real" friends with ever happen to text or WhatsApp me the same day, hello scheit!, that's the entire evening, thumb-typing πŸ˜€ ouch!! Cut's into actual real instrument playing time too, - I don't play plug'n's πŸ˜€ so, it's a bit diff'rent for me πŸ˜€ hahhh! (just kidding, just kidding...).

• @complexissimple 1 week

@burrsettles April 14 according to whose timezone?

• @ustaknow 1 week

Well, it's 14April2021 12:38:27 and...

• @ustaknow 1 week

Well, it's 14April2021 11:53:31 and... it's a little like "Russian Roulette" with an eight shot revolver. You just know there's a prize in every box, but..., just..., not..., yet... πŸ˜€

Thrilling actually πŸ˜‰

What if it misfires..., or comes out Nerf Balls..., or candy?! πŸ˜€

11:57:35 PM... well, we'll SeA tomorrow I guess πŸ˜€

• @aeye 1 week

Someone forgot to press the pause button lol

• @zecoop  1 week

Fake news!!! πŸ˜‰
    😁

• @tcelliott  1 week

Somewhere Burr mentioned it might be this weekend before the red button gets pushed.

• @timfatchen  1 week

The hopeful spammers keep arriving for their 17 minutes of glory!

• @burrsettles  1 week

Hi people.

Sorry.

As you can see, it's past April 14 and the site is still up. πŸ˜€

I've been too swamped to create a "hibernation landing page" that I'm happy with, so it will probably come down this weekend? I guess?

• @fuzzy  1 week

At your leisure, sir. πŸ˜€

• @headfirstonly  1 week

@timfatchen I got one today after five minutes. Not my fastest, but I will keep swatting them.

• @timfatchen  1 week

@headfirstonly You gotta sleep sometime then I'll have room to move, er swat..

• @johnstaples  1 week

Just turn off comments. BAM! Problem solved.

• @jwhanberry  1 week

And turn off new members. No spammers.

• @timfatchen  1 week

@jwhanberry We've got the spammers covered 24 hrs a day now! All the world's time zones! Spammer lifespans measured in minutes! (Granted some come in like bluebottle blowflies and drop their maggots live into the forums, but they get burnt out reasonably quickly too)

• @aeye 6 days

@burrsettles just make it of a cat asleep surrounded by music gear. BOOM! lol

• @tuneslayer  5 days

Now here, man, don't worry. Take your time, don't hurry.

• @burrsettles  4 days

OK so... for mysterious reasons I'm a little embarrassed to get into, the site hibernation will take a little longer than expected...

Apologies for folks who were bracing themselves...

And apologies to the mods who keep spam-swatting...

• @headfirstonly  4 days

No worries, Burr. And knowing the reasons why, I totally sympathise. I'd do exactly the same.

And anyway, swatting those spammers is *fun*!

• @candle  4 days

@headfirstonly you're having too much fun (of course, too much fun is what life is all about, right? πŸ˜‚ )

See You In The Shadows…

• @sailingmagpie  4 days

I'll be honest, I'm glad the hibernation hasn't happened yet as I just realised I haven't archived yet!

• @ustaknow 4 days

I stopped sitting here hitting "refresh"... and feel much better for it πŸ˜€

• @dzdandcunfsd  3 days

I for one like the mystery and anticipation that it all just may go away any minute 🀣 .........not a lot of excitement in my life right now, gotta take it where I can get it.

• @ustaknow 3 days

I'm back to hitting refresh... it's now 20April2021 7:28:49, 56, ... it's just so thrilling, really πŸ˜€

• @candle  3 days

For some reason I keep hearing the Jeopardy music in my head every time I come to the site. It's like we're in Final Jeopardy with time ticking away…

Awesome Songwriting Communities for 500, Alex πŸ˜‰

See You In The Shadows…

• @ustaknow 3 days

... still here, 10:53:45 sec...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...