Any Up for a Sunday Zoom FAWM Song Circle?

Skip to the bottom

• @pipewrench67  Mar 1

I'm thinking of setting up a Zoom thing Sunday Noonish my time (CST) Every week in March, people can perform songs written that week in FAWM so the first week would be songs written Feb.1-7, the second week would be songs written Feb. 8-14 Etc.

It would be a good opportunity to revisit the month and relearn those songs to see if they work for you performance-wise a month later. Trying to gauge interest, let me know (I've never set up a Zoom meeting, so it will probably be a mess, but it could be fun.)

• @prsongsmith  Mar 1

Yes!

• @tuneslayer  Mar 1

I like this idea. There would be some technical challenges related to Zoom, like limits on how long you can hold a meeting via a free account or how many people can be involved, but those should be easy to work through. Maybe someone with access to a company Zoom account could "sponsor" the circles.

Anyway yes, definitely interested!

• @nancyrost  Mar 1

Thanks for pinging me - I'd be up for some of this. If you need help setting it up, let me know - I've gotten a lot of experience with it this year!
    Edited to add: I have a pro account, can probably figure out how to "sponsor".

• @headfirstonly  Mar 1

That is a marvellous idea, even if I'm not the sort of FAWMer who can stand up and perform his songs (not until cloning technology come on a pace, at least!)

• @wacha  Mar 1

I'd be interested!

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 1

hi great idea 😀 i would be up for it. also up for hosting the zoom meeting if that helps? (techwise i mean not to tread on your your actual hosting toes!) i have a pro account so no time limit and have been doing a few zoom gigs

• @kenmattsson  Mar 1

Interested!

• @pipewrench67  Mar 1

@wobbiewobbit I have no hosting toes, they froze off in the recent Polar Vortex.

• @midwayfair  Mar 1

I'd be up for this if you'd have me (but not week 4 -- I can't perform my only week 4 song live).

• @dragondreams  Mar 1

I'd be up for being an active listener. A bit like @headfirstonly, I'm more of a recording musician than a performing one. 😀

• @wylddandelyon Mar 1

There have been a lot of Zoom filk circles, and they are a lot of fun. We've mostly ended up using the "raise hand" feature with a moderator to determine who sings next, and there are some technical tweaks so the zoom spoken voice algorithms don't try to filter out your music in the background that are helpful too.

I am definitely interested, though there are some filk zoom things planned for March, some of which would doubtless be happening at the same time. (I don't think it's avoidable, really, since the zoom meetings are set up by people who don't have to worry about how long a zoom meeting goes. Well, there's a 30-hour cutoff which we hit not so long ago...)

• @bradbrubaker  Mar 1

Keep me in the loop!

• @airbagtester  Mar 1

Thanks for the head's up @pipewrench67!
    Put me in the same "active listener, not performer" category, unless I end up putting music to one of my lyric songs that I might be able to perform. But the odds of that are slim.
    I would still love to be in the audience though!

• @andygetch  Mar 1

Oooh, that would be great fun and give me a reason to play a FAWM me-and-guitar song. Also the FAWM Zoom meetups have been a great way to connect a face and voice to the name.

• @sph  Mar 1

I'm also interested - not necessarily playing but let's see

• @lastnightilie Mar 3

I would attend if I'm not busy!

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 3

Sounds fun!

• @scubed  Mar 3

Sounds great!

• @yam655  Mar 3

I have a noon my-time (Eastern US) meeting, so I'll likely be late regularly, but I'm down with this.

Besides, there needs to be at least one person there comfortable doing lofi acapella in front of people, just to set the bar for those who feel nervous.

• @kanttila  Mar 3

I'm interested, this sounds like fun and I'd love to try performing my songs like this and hearing everyone else.

• @julesbf  Mar 3

Never zoom performed but would love to work out how it all works and have a bash

• @kenmattsson  Mar 4

@yam655 Lo Fi a capella is my middle name! Happy to do that one.

• @yam655  Mar 4

@kenmattsson I don't know. A well-trained voice like yours? You can use lo-fi equipment all you want, but you may not be realizing exactly where you're setting the bar. I kind of think your lowest possible setting is at least mid-fi.

I'm happy to be wrong. It's just... have you heard yourself?

• @mhorning Mar 4

I have an on-line (zoom) Science Fiction Music convention this weekend, so I am likely to already be in a Zoom music circle. But I could certainly drop out of one circle and join another.

As wylddandelyon said above. It can work well as long as you turn on original sound and someone is willing to do some minor moderation.

• @tuneslayer  Mar 4

Uh oh. If there are two zoom music circles coming up this weekend, and if one of them is filk (the SF music @mhorning mentioned) and one is FAWM . . . I'm afraid filk will win out.

*sigh* So many things to do, so little time.

• @carleybaer  Mar 4

Yeah I’m interested!

• @carleybaer  Mar 4

@pipewrench67 I’d perform, sure

• @kenmattsson  Mar 4

I'm pretty sure I can. We're doing things we wrote in the first week of FAWM, right? I'll have to see what I want to rework.

• @yam655  Mar 4

@pipewrench67 I'm totally in.

• @yam655  Mar 4

@pipewrench67 When talking about each of the four weeks of FAWM you're talking about days 1-7, 8-14, 15-21, and 22-28, right? Regardless of where they are in the week?

It's the same difference to most of the world this year, but since the US treats Sunday weird it would probably be best to clarify.

• @kanttila  Mar 4

I'm down to do a song.

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 4

I’m happy to!

• @cicpisces Mar 4

Happy to attend and cheer from the sidelines.

• @bradbrubaker  Mar 4

Looking over my tunes, they are mostly multitrack tunes or electronic instrumentals. But I wrote a pretty good acoustic song in the final week. I'd happily play that.

• @sph  Mar 4

I could do a guitar instrumental

• @aeye Mar 4

Sounds fun! I’d be interested (performing for us though would just be loading up the DAW and playing the project file for you lol)

• @andygetch  Mar 4

I need to practice playing in front of people and this crowd is the most supportive I know. So yes, I would like to play one.

• @scubed  Mar 4

Sure, I’d love to do a song.

• @midwayfair  Mar 4

@pipewrench67 I still am 😀 Just need a bit of a heads up about day and time so I don't plan something on top of it.

• @prsongsmith  Mar 4

@pipewrench67 - confirmed! just send the coordinates when you have ‘em! If we really want to get fancy, it would be neat to livestream the zoom to Facebook so others can tune in...

• @vegansongs  Mar 4

I am so low tech but could try- It would be great fun to join in if laptop settings all work..I think I fixed them . But otherwise would still enjoy the listening!

• @tuneslayer  Mar 4

@pipewrench67 I'll most likely be spending this weekend at a different Zoom event, but if I have a heads up as to time I can do a number (and arrange my schedule so I can hear the other participants).

If we're splitting the performances by week I'd want to be in week 3, I think. I originally posted "Murder Hornets" on the 14th, but the demo went up a day later.

• @gardeningangel1  Mar 5

This sound like fun, I should be able to join in. Would be cool to see y'alls faces and I kinda miss open mic nights.

• @lastnightilie Mar 5

@pipewrench67 You didn't tag me but I would be looking to perform!

• @pipewrench67  Mar 6

This was the schedule, updated version below.

• @tuneslayer  Mar 6

@pipewrench67 What day is this happening? If you said, I missed it.

Week 3 works for me. I might be able to do weeks 2 and 4 also; I'll check my list.

• @mhorning Mar 6

Will plan to be there.

• @midwayfair  Mar 6

@pipewrench67 What day is this happening?

• @pipewrench67  Mar 6

1st week is Sunday March 7
    2nd week is Sunday March 14
    3rd week is Sunday March 21
    4th week is Sunday March 28

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 6

hi all thanks @pipewrench67 for organising. i will be hosting (technically) and will post the zoom link here tomorrow. can also stream to facebook or youtube if people would like that. let me know so i can set it up if so. looking forward to seeing everyone 😀

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 6

@pipewrench67 and @wobbiewobbit I didn’t take part until the second week. So technically that gives me no songs to play until the second week. Also being 5am at that time it would be nice not to be on second.

• @wacha  Mar 6

@pipewrench67 sorry for the delayed response. I'd be interested in performing at one. Either way I'll log in to check out some folks.

• @pipewrench67  Mar 6

For the sake of simplicity I will take out @fearlessflight2014 and replace with @wacha these schedules will be fluid, I'm making the schedule to try and minimize dead air/ down time & so we have a basic road map.
    I'll update when I'm at a computer

• @pipewrench67  Mar 6

This was the schedule, updated version below.

• @vegansongs  Mar 6

Sorry but this wont work for me!!

• @vegansongs  Mar 6

@pipewrench67 Thanks for doing this but that time( 4 am ) wont work for me and I guess week 2 or 3 would be my preference..
    Oh maybe this is actually 8 AM for me..Still won't work! Sorry!

• @vegansongs  Mar 6

Thanks @pipewrench67 10 AM won't work either.. Week 3 and 4 will be better in terms of songs for me.. Thanks! Sorry to be so particular!
    Best times for me to sing and play after 12 noon before 10 PM my time ( I can tune in to listen earlier)

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 6

here is link. https://zoom.us/j/92806923346?pwd=UEs2SXZlQjZDMVFZLyt3M285b05OZz09

Meeting ID: 928 0692 3346
    Passcode: 378511

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 6

i can be there beforehand if anyone wants to check their set up

• @pipewrench67  Mar 6

Updated performance schedule for Zoom meeting
    Sunday March 7, 12:00 noon CST (6:00 GMT) here is a time zone converter if you need it; https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Songs performed week one (this week) should be chosen from songs posted to FAWM during Week 1 (Feb.1 - Feb.7), Each person will perform 1 song.
    We will see where we are in regards to time and interest after the first round.
    I rolled some dice to randomize order.

Here is the order of performance for Week 1
    @kanttila
    @wacha
    @pipewrench67
    @sph
    @wobbiewobbit
    @midwayfair
    @lastnightilie
    @andygetch
    @kenmattsson
    @yam655
    @scubed
    @carleybaer
    @prsongsmith
    @gardeningangel1

See Wobbie’s post above for link to zoom

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 7

Thanks @pipewrench67 and @wobbiewobbit will tune in and listen tomorrow!

• @midwayfair  Mar 7

Hey folks, I'm going to be trying to do this during a fishing trip with my dad, so there's a possibility that I won't have reception or will have some other technical difficulty. Just wanted to give a heads up so it doesn't seem like I just flaked out if I'm missing! Still gonna do my darndest.

• @scubed  Mar 7

Looking forward to this! Many thanks to @pipewrench67 and @wobbiewobbit for making it happen.

My husband Bill is planning on listening in from an undisclosed location (OK, from his office across the hall), if no one minds.

• @kanttila  Mar 7

I'm all good to go! This will be fun!

• @midwayfair  Mar 7

And the technical difficulty is ... I can’t install zoom on my work phone. We’re driving home now though I should be back ~1:30 EST.

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 7

This is great so far 😀

• @fuzzy  Mar 7

Agreed, @sw1n3flu!
    Hey, @pipewrench67, I'd like to do something for the second week broadcast, if possible!

• @mhorning Mar 7

Sorry, I had a confilct with the Filk Convention (I was signed up to play opposite) Next week

• @guatecoop  Mar 7

Did it end already?

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 7

Oh man that was so cool!!
    Thanks so much for setting this up..
    Cu next time

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 7

This was really great!, thanks so much for hosting this..lovely to see some familiars in the flesh!, cu next week,

• @pipewrench67  Mar 7

Looking forward to next week putting together an email list for sending zoom info missing emails (from above) for;
    @mhorning
    @vegansongs
    @sw1n3flu

If you don't want to put it here you can email me at pipewrench67@gmail.com

• @airbagtester  Mar 7

Sorry I missed this; I had to watch my kids and was trying desperately to get the 2 year old to take a nap 😞

• @guatecoop  Mar 7

@airbagtester : I was in EXACTLY the same situation! My 2 year old kept wandering out of his room, so I’d quietly pick him up and get him back. He finally slept, but too late for me to be at the zoom.

• @kahlo2013 Mar 8

Oh I would love to join next week if I may!

• @wacha  Mar 8

My email is catherinewacha@yahoo.com

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 8

Cawolff29@yahoo.com

• @fuzzy  Mar 8

Me for next week.
    Dhalgren23@gmail.com

• @pipewrench67  Mar 8

@headfirstonly found yours in my emails.
    @Wacha have yours now
    @bradbrubaker have yours
    @kanttila got yours
    @aeye got yours

• @mhorning Mar 8

mine is mhorning at eskimo.com

• @pipewrench67  Mar 8

@mhorning got it

• @pipewrench67  Mar 8

Week 2 info is over here;
    https://fawm.org/forums/topic/11878/

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 8

@guatecoop I'm so sorry you missed it, i saw you had come to the door before and after but missed the actual thing, BTW we have a clock change from GMT to BST i wonder what we should do ie what time to keep it on.

• @pipewrench67  Mar 8

Just need emails on @sw1n3flu & @cicpisces and there are few people who were on zoom, that I can't remember or don't know their FAWM name.
    All new discussion will be at; https://fawm.org/forums/topic/11878/

• @cicpisces Mar 8

HI
    @pipewrench67
    You can contact me : cc060369@aol.com

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...