Misinterpret a song title game

Skip to the bottom

• @robotkitten  7 weeks

Take the title of a well-known song, and guess what someone might think it was about out of context.

Example: Goodbye Old Paint sounds like a song about home renovations.

• @cblack 7 weeks

Enter Sandman is a play about surfers.

• @lyricslinger  7 weeks

No more tears, by Ozzy Osbourne. It's a song about how annoying it is when you bend over and your trousers rip.

Rock bottom, by UFO. It's a song about the plight of Sheffield United. Or the Italian rugby team. (Or insert the relevant team from your preferred sport).

How come it never rains, by The Dogs D'Amour. A song about the Atacama Desert

• @lyricslinger  7 weeks

This thread also reminds me that there's a Planet Rock radio station presenter who takes great delight in announcing Aerosmith's 'Sweet Emotion' as 'Sweet Emulsion'. 😀

• @tuneslayer  7 weeks

You Light Up My Life, the new theme song of the Stage Electricians, Gaffers and Allied Trades Union

• @bradbrubaker  7 weeks

Spoonman - A cereal jingle about a superhero cartoon spoon who, with his cartoon dog Scoop, defends kiddos from sugarless breakfasts.

• @stephenwordsmith  7 weeks

Kelly Clarkson's The Trouble with Love Is, in which she spends three and a half minutes pointing out the problematic aspects of a cartoon naked couple.

• @nightwing521  7 weeks

Some bluegrass favorites:

The Banks of the Ohio - A song about financial institutions in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Dayton
    I'll Fly Away - An advertising jingle for an airline
    Somebody Touched Me - [Trigger Warning] A song about sexual assault
    Unclouded Day - A remake of ELO's Mr. Blue Sky

• @tuneslayer  7 weeks

You Don't Owe Me -- Good news to Lesley Gore's former debtors

• @hmorg  7 weeks

The Final Countdown -- This time we're actually all going to nail the intro and play through the whole song

• @celineellis  7 weeks

John Mayer - Battle Studies : War Historians weekend reenactment soundtrack

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Stones in the road : an ode to windscreen chips and cracks

Bruce Springsteen - darkness on the edge of town : letters to the council about broken streetlights

• @fuzzy  7 weeks

"Living After Midnight" by Judas Priest is a song about vampires.

• @gindark 7 weeks

"The Man with the Child in His Eyes" by Kate Bush - worst babysitting accident ever.

• @ampersandman  7 weeks

Rocket Queen is about a female space technician.

• @andpow81  7 weeks

Sweet Child O' Mine - An Irishman has Jelly Babies.

• @fuzzy  7 weeks

"Hot Legs" by Rod Stewart is about Kentucky Fried Chicken.

• @dzdandcunfsd  7 weeks

"Hot Pants" by James Brown is about an unfortunate coffee spill.

• @andpow81  7 weeks

"Hot Blooded" by Foreigner is about animals capable of thermoregulation

• @dzdandcunfsd  7 weeks

"I Want to Kill My Brother, The Cymbalhead" by The Flaming Lips is not about wanting to kill his brother who has cymbals for a head.

Simon and Garfunkel's 'The Sound of Silence', a jaunty 1960s re-imagining of John Cage's 4'33"

• @candle  7 weeks

"Jeremy" by Pearl Jam is a song about a boy named Sue.

See You In The Shadows…

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

"I want to hold you hand", is about a person, hanging off a high cliff, ledge, bridge 😀

And and when I was a kid, thought the line in Purple Haze was,
    "excuse me, while I kiss this guy" (krappey radio... 😉 )

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

Oh, and "Happy Birthday, to You" was originally, really,
    "Happy Birthday, to Hue", never intended for everyone!

• @philkmills  7 weeks

"On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson: a sequel to The Beatles' "Why Don't We Do it in the Road?" (in spite of the chronology 😀 ).

• @candle  7 weeks

@ustaknow, you make me remember that when I was a kid I thought CCR's Bad Moon Rising said: "There's a bathroom on the right". I told that to my wife when we were first dating & she says that's all she hears now when she listens to the song. LOL. Sorry if I ruined the song for anyone else!

See You In The Shadows…

• @andygetch  7 weeks

'Vertigo' by U2, as a medical school instructional song.

@candle one bar I frequented back in the late 80's had DJ's who would sing some songs with a type of karaoke dance-mix backing tracks and when they played Bad Moon Rising, the DJ's would sing 'there's a bathroom on the right'. @ustaknow another bar band, Truc of America, did comedy skits in between or during songs would sing Purple Haze acapella to the tune of King of the Road and did include 'excuse me while I kiss this guy'

• @candle  7 weeks

Well, that makes me feel better @andygetch 😁 I'm not the only one!

"Swallow My Pride" by Green River is a song about eating Lion meat.

See You In The Shadows…

• @robotkitten  7 weeks

Oh, you're definitely not the only one. It's a whole phenomenon--google "mondegreen".

• @spazsquatch 7 weeks

Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" is a anthem for anti-vaxxers. and of course Cinderella's "Shake Me", the 80's rock anthem about the frustration about deciding between 32 flavours.

• @nancyrost  7 weeks

I am not-throwing-away my ... shot.

• @theresaj  7 weeks

Christina Perri’s “Jar of Hearts” is about a demented serial killer who keeps the victim’s hearts in jars, obviously.

• @theresaj  7 weeks

Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Are Made For Walking” is a jingle for a popular footwear company advertising how comfortable their boots are.

Basement Jaxx's 'Wheres your head at?', a 4-minute compendium of people asking to speak to the manager.

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

@theresaj - re: boots - I'm pretty sure that song has been used for that purpose, actually. *sad face*

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

@candle re: Bad Moon - In my cover band days we would sing a verse and chorus of our very own lyric about toilets overflowing etc., with the tag bathroom on the right. I should have finished another verse and recorded it at some point, but it's all lost to history now.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...