4 documentaries about recording over the years - free on YT!

Skip to the bottom

• @wolfkier Feb 27

I found 4 really interesting documentaries about recording, studios, and music covering 5-6 decades of popular music history, I'm pretty sure many of you will enjoy (after FAWM, of course) . Bonus, all free on YT.

1 * The Wrecking Crew - session musicians for everyone and their dog since the early 60s.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZgBexrZvM0

2 * Hittsville: The Making of Motown - *sigh* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzkyK3iXIP0

3 * Muscle Shoals - Famous Studio in Alabama where everyone and their dog recorded - Aretha Franklin, Stones, Allman Bros, U2 more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmGUIM1uAI

4 * Sound City - Famous Studio where Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Nirvana etc made magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kREXK5sVjQ4

+ Im sure there's one about Air Studios in Montserrat but I can't find it/remember it's name.

While watching I thought, ah, so that's how the other half FAWM'd back in the day 😀

If you know of any others freely available like these, maybe share the links here. Enjoy!

(PS. Thanks to all for a wonderful FabFeb. )

• @sailingmagpie  Feb 27

It's not about recording but Dig! is on YouTube. It's about The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols but it doesn't matter if you're not into either of them, as it's a more a study of artistic integrity vs selling out.

https://youtu.be/JvWcfD5cW7k

More recording orientated though, I think quite a few of the Classic Albums series are on there too.

• @wolfkier Feb 28

@sailingmagpie thanks for the tip, I'll check your suggestion out next week. And I agree that the Classic Albums series is worth watching, I can't count the number of times over the years I've gone back to the Rumours and Never Mind The Bollocks episodes especially.
    Also, I've been thinking there MUST be at least one documentary (at least) out there about the storied history of Abbey Road Studios. The closest I've ever come is a wonderful (somewhat sneaky, if I remember) walkthrough video I saw a few years ago snapped by our @wobbiewobbit 😀

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 28

haha thanks @wolfkier that will be 9 years ago this year!

• @wolfkier Feb 28

@wobbiewobbit *!*

• @bradbrubaker  Feb 28

Thanks, @wolfkier !

• @conorg Feb 28

For anyone who enjoyed Sound City, you need to check out Sonic Highways. I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan but Dave Grohl is very watchable when it comes to this type of documentary.

• @thefinalfrontier  Feb 28

Awesome! I LOOOOOOVE in-studio documentaries. Can't wait to watch these.

• @smudge  Feb 28

@wolfkier Thanks so so much for all these!:)

• @airbagtester  Mar 1

Thanks for the recommendations @wolfkier ! I am definitely bookmarking those. I have not seen most of those, but I think I saw the Muscle Shoals one on Netflix a few years ago. IIRC it was definitely worth repeated viewing!

And also thanks @sailingmagpie for the tip about Dig! I just bought my first Brian Jonestown Massacre album two years ago (their self-titled 2019 release) and I feel like I need to work my way backwards into them.

• @wolfkier Mar 6

BUMP: Because everyone has a little more free time on their hands than when I first began this tread. Still looking for more recommendatons to this tread as well.

• @alboe Mar 6

Ah such a shame, video’s are not available in my country.

• @guatecoop  Mar 6

@sailingmagpie : I watched Dig!, or as much as I could stomach. I was never into Brian Jonestown Massacre, and now I am even less interested.....maybe even repulsed. You’re right, it is about integrity vs selling out.
    Sound City and Muscle Shoals were definitely worth it.

• @sph  Mar 6

Not available in my country as well... 😞

• @guatecoop  Mar 6

I also liked Fugazi’s Instrument. It has lots of live and background footage, but also a bunch of studio. Liking it may depend on whether you like that sort of music, but I love them.

• @sailingmagpie  Mar 6

@guatecoop Sorry, my Dig! recommendation should've probably come with a health warning!

• @sailingmagpie  Mar 6

@alboe @sph Would it work with a VPN?

• @guatecoop  Mar 7

@sailingmagpie : I’m not at all attracted to those who are disinterested in the welfare of others, but especially when they are destructive. It seemed like that main guy is a self-appointed cult of personality and self-appointed genius who really seems to be “creating” music that is derivative. Yeah, the heroine didn’t help either. BUT you definitely characterized it correctly, so it’s not on you!! Actually, I always wondered what the big deal was with that band anyway.....as some very suspect people were enamored with them that I knew.

• @wolfkier Mar 7

@alboe and @sph sorry to hear that. All I can suggest is try searching the titles on Vimeo or bing/videos https://www.bing.com/videos/ , they usually have most anything I can't find on yt.
    With bing videos they usually come up with a dozen similar tasty things to what you were looking for in the first place too. Good luck.

• @sailingmagpie  Mar 7

@guatecoop Absolutely! He comes across as utterly repellent. I think some of the Dandy Warhols guys came out against the documentary, saying he was unfairly portrayed. Admittedly, I don't know a great deal about either band other than the doc and their famous songs but I'm not sure its possible to misrepresent someone who literally kicks a member of the audience in the head while onstage!

• @airbagtester  Mar 7

@guatecoop @sailingmagpie Heh... wow I started to watch a bit of that today and I see what you are talking about now. As someone who only recently started to listen to them 20 years later, I think I will just stick with the music portion and leave the rest. Like I do with Oasis, or Guns n' Roses.

• @guatecoop  Mar 7

Oh, and I definitely second the Sonic Highways recommendation. I didn’t always like the song that they recorded at the end, but the shows were definitely worth watching.

• @gubna Mar 7

Here’s one I saw recently on a studio that is trying the old school approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-scxybnp0

• @guatecoop  Mar 7

@gubna : WOW, look at all of that beautiful green Altec!! Well, not to mention all of the classic (and crazy expensive) gear. I will be watching that one.
    Last night, I watched another depressing one....Tear the Roof Off. I’m wondering if I can ever listen to P-Funk again 😒.

• @mistermann  Mar 7

Soundbreaking was an EXCELLENT documentary series that’d fit right in with these. I love and highly recommend it.

• @burrsettles  Mar 7

I've had a tradition of watching music documentaries over the holidays for the past few years. While these aren't explicitly about *RECORDING*, they mostly do include bits about recording, so they count. 😀 Here are some of my favorites that haven't already been listed:

- Searching for Sugar Man (2012)
    - 20 Feet From Stardom (2013)
    - Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)
    - A Band Called Death (2012)
    - Danielson: A Family Movie (2006)

I'll also second DiG! and Sound City that have been mentioned. I still need to watch Muscle Shoals and Sonic Highways...

• @burrsettles  Mar 7

@wolfkier looks like that "Hittsville" link has already been taken offline. 😞

But here's a cool mini-documentary that Reverb made about the Motown recording process that I found very informative:

"Can We Recreate The Motown Sound?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysRGMSjtpQ

• @zecoop  Mar 7

@gubna - that was a very cool piece! Fascinating to see how they approached everything in each situation. 😀

• @zecoop  Mar 7

@burrsettles - I've seen all but Danielson and enjoyed them all. Death, Anvil and Sugarman especially. Sound City was fantastic, as was Muscle Shoals. I just really love music documentaries. 😀
    (checking out the Motown one now)

• @audrey  7 weeks

I've seen Muscle Shoals before and it's great. Just watched Sound City and really enjoyed it. On to The Wrecking Crew.
    Thanks for the list @wolfkier These are great documentaries.

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

American Epic, 4 parts (I could'a sworn was "free", at one time); nontheless, these previews give the idea and maybe can get it via Netflix, Amazon, etc. I loved watching all four when first released.

1925 "electric" recording starts (American Epic)

😀 it influenced "how" they recorded due to the technology.

This features a favorite of mine Alabama Shakes:
    https://youtu.be/JFHbfApw9kk?t=39

- The wanted to sell, record players; now, they needed, records 😀
    That "Machine" where this video starts, is the story. You had as long as it took the weight to drop to the floor that drove it.

• @audrey  7 weeks

I've watched and enjoyed all four now. My favourite is "Hitsville: The Making of Motown". What a great documentary.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...