Are y'all workng on zongs?

Skip to the bottom

• @standup  Feb 25

There are over 400 right now. Let's bring that down. That's what I'm trying to do tonight.

• @cblack Feb 25

Challenge accepted!

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

Absolutely. I'm working on getting rid of them and also creating more...

• @sugarfix Feb 25

Attack of the Zongs starts tomorrow!

• @prsongsmith  Feb 25

Yes!

• @cts  Feb 25

Yes - I've been doing that along the way.

• @guatecoop  Feb 25

Absolutely I am! That is a terrible feeling to have worked on a song so hard to have no one listening

• @declan  Feb 25

Please don't comment on Zongs, unless you have something to say about the song.

It's often, especially this late in the month the only comment I'll get. If you've nothing to say, leave it for someone else.

• @cblack Feb 25

Yes, @declan has a good point. For me, when I go zong-hunting, I still only comment when I have something to say. I might be listening only to zongs, but I'm still commenting in a thoughtful manner.

• @theodamus  Feb 25

Frick yes! It’s why I’m so behind on my reciprocal and tit for tat comments coz I’m on a ZONGBUSTING MISSION. And definite hard agree about find something about to song to comment on ❤️

• @headfirstonly  Feb 25

I've busted 62 so far. And what @declan says is so, SO important. Although it applies to all songs, it's particularly important for Zongs. There is nothing worse for me than getting a comment that just says "thanks for sharing!" which gives me no idea what somebody liked or didn't like in a song. If a song of mine stays a zong for long, I want to know why. What was it in the song that motivated you to make a comment?

• @majordanby  Feb 25

Yeah, the site slowly starts to die in the last week. Only the FAWM hardcore commenting.
    I accounted for it this year and started really fast and have eased off now.
    Still listening and commenting ☺️

• @fuzzy  Feb 25

Like @headfirstonly, I also have 62 zongs busted so far.
    I've been spending the month hanging out on the Songs page and ambushing those zongs as soon as they are posted!
    Quality comments only, of course!

• @sunnymae  Feb 25

I bust zongs every night when I finally get to bed. It's nice as a community to support each other.

• @mardeycranbleson Feb 25

I will work on some this weekend thanks for the reminder

• @ianuarius  Feb 25

Quality comments only, of course

• @seppo Feb 25

Must. Bust. Zongs.

• @phenola Feb 26

Heh. One of my songs got a comment without the individual in question even bothering to listen to it. I know this, because you can't listen to a three-minute song in the one minute that was available between my posting it and the comment appearing.

• @andpow81  Feb 26

Got a couple more done today, trying very hard for quality comments only but I feel bad every time I have to skip over something because I just don't have anything to say

• @mikeb Feb 26

I try to find a few every day - at 113 right now!

• @misterd Feb 26

Yep . I’ve finished my 14 th song last night ) so I’m going zong hunting now . So much cool stuff out there to explore !

• @misterd Feb 26

Oh yeah let’s Bust those Zongs !

• @ianuarius  Feb 26

I'm interested in how many zongs FAWM closes with.

It comes down to numbers, doesn't it.
    -more ppl every fawm
    -less insane commenters who just comment on zongs

The number of zongs we close with is going to keep going higher in the coming years if we assume that fawm keeps growing... and why wouldn't it?

What's the solution?

Well, if we want to close with 0 zongs, then we should be more conscious about not commenting on anything except zongs the whole fawm. But that means, we'll be missing a lot of great music.

Realities, realities...

I was distraught by the fact that there's more music released on Spotify every week that I have time to listen through. Actually, even if I listened 10 seconds of each release (note: not every song, just release), there wouldn't be enough seconds every week to go through everything.

So, are we going to have to accept at some point that not everything is going to have a comment on it? Maybe. BUT NOT TODAY!

• @cblack Feb 26

I'm pleased to announce that my 100th comment was on a zong. Didn't do that on purpose, but it still makes me happy. 😀

• @mikeb Feb 26

As I take a look this morning at the list of Zongs (447 at the moment), and go all the way to the oldest, I see a pattern - people who post multiple songs in a row, and many have no liner notes, no lyrics posted, only a link to a song hosted elsewhere. And I see people who post partial lyrics - a verse/chorus, for example.
    It doesn't seem fair to me to comment on these when people who have taken the time to post full songs, notes, etc, have Zongs waiting.

• @standup  Feb 26

@mikeb i agree, I tend to avoid massive dumps of songs from people who aren’t very engaged with FAWM, I prioritize people who appear to be more deeply entangled

• @fuzzy  Feb 26

Agreed, @mikeb.
    I tend to bypass that kind of thing in favour of zongs from individuals who seem to have put some effort in to their song posts and are part of the FAWM community; there are only so many hours in the day to bust zongs, after all.

• @ianuarius  Feb 26

Well, but maybe the community isn't the point to some people. Yea, it's fun to comment when it's reciprocated, but I didn't write any comments this FAWM until the last few days (going to hit century club soon), but I've still received like almost 200 comments.

Some people find community stuff tough. Some people are more introverted. I don't think it's fair to just say that let those guys rot because they don't enjoy the same things we do.

• @fuzzy  Feb 26

Nah, @ianuarius, I just said that I have to prioritize my listening time and so I follow my preferences. I've absolutely nothing against people who don't actively participate and just post songs. As I said, there are only so many listening hours in the day. 😀

• @ianuarius  Feb 26

Ah pardon, I probably just misunderstood

• @trolls2 Feb 26

i love listening to zongs. makes me feel like an explorer.

• @gm7  Feb 26

I have 54 busted and i can say that many of these are sooo good...
    I use the 'play random' button and they will show up.

• @mardeycranbleson Feb 26

I get the feeling on a lot of zongs I comment on they don’t care either way.

• @cblack Feb 26

@mikeb I noticed that pattern, too.

• @standup  Feb 27

Over 500 at the moment.

• @timfatchen  Mar 2

WAY over 500! C'mon folks, let no song go unheard. But remember to actually hear/read. People are real, their efforts and art are real, zongbusting is NOT just an off-hand bubblewrap-popping exercise.

• @daveyboy103  Mar 2

Doing my best, 149 busted so far

• @audrey  Mar 2

I've busted 46 zongs, but all ones I wanted to comment on. @timfatchen No "off-hand bubblewrap-popping" happening here. 😉 Nice analogy, by the way. It made me smile.

• @roddy  Mar 2

I've only done 32 but more on the way now that we are past the 28th of February. I understand about the importance of leaving meaningful comments but also I think that a zong is a rather sad thing - a piece of someone's work that is in a sense, ignored. I think it would be better to comment that you had listened to a song than to listen to it and leave no comment at all.

• @coolparadiso  Mar 2

Its hard to bust them all as some don't even have anything in them at all. I had a real go at lyrics today - which is cool for a change . Some really good ones as well.

• @roddy  Mar 2

@coolparadiso That's true about the empty songs, I've noticed that too. I wonder if some people don't know about locking songs and placeholders and have posted an empty song to go back to later.

• @nahlej381  Mar 2

Zongs are my favorite thing to bust that aren’t rhymes! Lol I’m in.

• @gm7  Mar 3

Yes 73 busted!!. some really beautiful music too.

• @tamsnumber4  Mar 3

I've been busting Zongs, just found this guy, has lots of zongs and he is a good lyric writer, I can't stay up and do them all, but hope someone goes in and discovers him. https://fawm.org/fawmers/theseanovan/

• @rayboneor  Mar 3

Well, I wouldn't call it work 😀 I just listened to a couple of really nice tunes. Why did they linger so long in zongdom?

• @ustaknow Mar 4

I don't think I'll be hitting 400, only 358 to date, - so much IRL work.
    - And be meaningful "for me too", not just "un-zonging", which is a wonderful thing! (which some do to their own tracks, - I love that 😀 )

I listen, and sometimes I just don't get a "hit", so don't say anything.

- Anyway, came to mind, e.g., generalized voodoo math 😀 14000/250 = 56 songs each. Hahhh... oh well. We dew what we dew... and canne what we canne. 500/150 = 3.33 like the old LP's! 😀 I'll take all the .33's.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...