Spintunes Contest

Skip to the bottom

• @vomvorton  8 weeks

Hey everybody. If you're interested in another challenge to fill the void post-FAWM, the latest incarnation of Spintunes starts on March 6th:

https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/

It's a knockout contest with judges so a little more competitive than FAWM, but the schedule isn't as frantic - you get 9 days to turn in a song, then there's a five-day gap to the next round while the judges write their reviews etc.

I've taken part a few times and it's an interesting challenge - check out the rules / schedule / other info over at the blog, and if you do fancy it then you need to fill in the form to sign up in advance, i.e. by March 5th.

• @tcelliott  8 weeks

As a past participant, I'd recommend it if you don't mind being "judged." In that regard, it's a lot different than FAWM, 50/90, Songcrafters, etc.,

But I've learned a lot and it give me the kick in the rear I need to polish things beyond the demo phase. Production does matter, but if the song is good then it typically does well in the rankings regardless.

• @lastnightilie 8 weeks

Thanks so much for sharing this! I've come across this a few times, but always just miss the deadline for signing up. I know you can still submit songs for fun if you're not signed up but I just never bothered with that.

• @ayehahmur  8 weeks

That looks kinda cool. Will try and bear it in mind and at least tune in and see how it plays out this year even if i don't get around to signing up.

• @vomvorton  8 weeks

Good point @lastnightilie and probably worth a mention - if you don't sign up but one of the challenge catches your attention, they welcome "shadow" (out-of-competition) submissions and will still add them to the bandcamp compilations. Also if you do compete and get knocked out, people often hang around and submit shadow entries, and if any of the remaining contestants drop out for any reason then people can get reinstated from the shadows. So it's definitely kinda fun to hang out and write songs, as per FAWM the real victory is writing a bunch of songs, right? 😁

• @laotranati 8 weeks

Sounds cool, I wonder if they'll accept songs written in other languages 😏

• @vomvorton  8 weeks

Hey @laotranati, I checked with the organisers and yes, songs in any language are welcome - however for some rounds of the contest it may be worth including a translation if possible, as there's a compulsory challenge for each round that may relate to the lyrics (for example last year there was a challenge for the lyrics to be based on a movie plot or scene).

• @laotranati 8 weeks

@vomvorton cool, thanks! I signed up anyway thinking of asking them later, glad to have that clear now 😀

• @scottlake 8 weeks

This looks cool

• @regis  8 weeks

You talked me into it, @vomvorton. I'm in.

• @mardeycranbleson 7 weeks

Sounds great. In some ways seems like the anti-fawm as they seem to take it very seriously. That could be a good change though here I just toss out whatever comes in my head with very little work put into it this would be a good change.

• @vomvorton  7 weeks

Giving this a bump now that FAWM is done and some people may be looking for their next songwriting hit 😁

They've posted info on the judges on the blog now if you'd like to know who will be making the calls on who progresses through the rounds.

• @terroratspacecamp  7 weeks

FAWM has been so refreshing with everyone being so good and helpful. I'm going to let all those positive vibes fuel me as I navigate the minefield of SpinTunes (it's really not that bad) and then the hellscape challenge of the Nur Ein (it really is that bad 😁).

• @ayehahmur  7 weeks

Think I'm just going to watch along this year. (Might have FAWMed a bit too strenuously. Me music muscles feel all wobbly).

- but thanks again for the heads up!

• @vomvorton  7 weeks

I was unsure if I was going to take part, to be honest - but I've talked myself into it!

• @ayehahmur  7 weeks

Good man! Looking forward to cheering you on!

• @psyt 7 weeks

I'll give it a shot. I don't like that I'm signing up to unknown challenges, but I like that reviews are basically guaranteed.

• @sw1n3flu  7 weeks

Vom! I’ll (ok we - good guy sojabe) will be there \m/

• @terroratspacecamp  7 weeks

Spintunes definitely has its charm and it has listening parties. Who doesn't like a party?

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

Helpful Spintunes Contest Hint: Sign up. Just do it. If you don't do a song for round one then no big deal. But if you end up wanting to do a song and you didn't sign up then you won't be in the contest. (You can still "shadow", play along, but you'll not be eligible for the prizes*.)

*There are no prizes. Other than being able to list a contest win in a bio and maybe judging the next contest if you want.

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

Yes, this looks interesting; I'll send as many folks as I know, too. The immediate prior posted explains enough to see it looks like a look. We shall sea. 😀

• @nightwing521  7 weeks

I'm definitely not signing up. Not this year.

Not because I'm not confident of my songwriting (though I will admit that I'm not, I'd still do it) but because I'm VERY confident of my production skills. That is, I'm confident that they are horrible!!! 😁

I'm'a definitely shadow though. Except that I don't see how to submit a shadow song??? (For that matter, I don't see how to submit even an actual contest song.) Can someone point me at that?

• @vomvorton  7 weeks

@nightwing521 there will be an email address to submit finished songs to, I'm sure they'll list it once the first challenge is announced.

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

*nightwing521 intending to help here, but new to me too; so I did a quick scan of allot of prior there (I'm pretty good at that 😉 ) , - and I noticed, and could be meaningless since the judges change (a wonderful thing actually if think about it); but, I noticed that the 1+1, not over produced or gimmicky stuff did well.

I read only one "brutal" review 😀 (but prefaced as, was not in a good place when did them, so to speak 😀 ) - and for that, I know folks my not like ones work, but does not mean it is not good. (I really do not like opera, at all, but know a good one when hear it and would not go to the trouble to comment that in a review, but, that's "me" 😀 ) hahhh.

So, again, don't know the place, or you, but see lyrics you have done here, that have consideration and heartfelt and that may count for more than plastic loops mixed over an auto-tuned vocal. I got the impression, that crowd, is not looking for "nash-ville" heros 😀 so to speak.

They also look to be re-organising, per the new lead moderator.

And, yes, - it's not as conventionally organised as some places folks are used to, but, I think some "method" like that may be on purpose, ?, so to speak. And, it all runs off direct contact, emails.

E.g. of tremendous free labor 😀 they extend as a "running it member", is the 3-5 hour youtube "listen party" roll up, - lots of *work by folks do it for the music it looks like. And someone sits there to host if for 5 hours as it runs? Wow, impressive.

If they say, e.g. my songs offended their ears like bullets through the brainium and wrote 250-300 words as to *why*, - I'd have a look at the content/context of it since no one "seems" to be there ? to make "our/your" line shorter nex to their, - agenda = music, just the music.

So, we'll see. But, had I not used my superfanctastic internet skills to run it all down in nanoseconds, neither would I.

Also, I looked hard and so no "krappolla" agenda hate or politics of any kind. So, I'd watch that 😀

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

From what I read of the Challenges, hahhh, I'd be more afraid to have nothing "good" to say and not submit rather than phone in a half-fast-track 😀 hahhh.

- But, that's just me

Again, if that helps, - my only intent.

- Looks like that can get as many as 100 ? ish songs or just 2. If it gets, ever to 14000 😀 hahhh, don't see how it could work. Small, remember small ? ... small may be better, or have to implement a cut off. But, I do digress! 😀 Appologies, appologies, "wtf" do i no ? don't listen to me ! 😀

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

@nightwing521 - There have been some stellar G&G (guy/girl and guitar) songs with less than perfect recordings that ranked pretty high on a challenge in the past. I'd encourage you to go for it. That being said, shadowing is cool and I've done it in the past. If that's what you feel you should do then that's what you should do.

re: Email. - Vom is exactly correct. When the challenge is posted it will have information on how to share, where to send it to. (Actually, there is already information on how to share, but the submission bit is always included with the challenge.)

• @ustaknow 7 weeks

Oh, I forgot, - one of the great things (as I see it) I noticed, (actually *another friend commented about it), - no Forums.

You submit, and, that's it. It is what it is.

I don't see blog comments.

I did read a comment about bad sports-person-ship 😉 don't do it, and don't see it done.

I do see a "submitters" vote/ranking at one stage of it, rubric, and see folks voting for others, - if understand the ranking thing.

So, it really does look like, - do your best and see what total strangers say. Wow! 😀 And, done.

That's it. No "other" stuff 😀 Uhhhh, whatta relief!

(Well, if have the time commitment... but 9 days! to write one song? OMG 😉 ) hahhh!

• @mardeycranbleson 7 weeks

Yeah seems a bit intimidating but what the heck doing it anyway. @ustaknow thank you for the invaluable commentary regarding the general nature of the competition

• @vomvorton  7 weeks

If anyone else is considering this (copied and pasted from the organiser):

"You've got 15 short hours to put your name in for SpinTunes 17! The first challenge goes up tonight at 12:01 am."

• @emkaydeebee  7 weeks

Thanks for sharing this @vomvorton - I've bitten the bullet and signed up. It will be good to have something to focus on with a deadline. Not expecting much, but would like to make it past round 1, I would be happy with that.

• @vomvorton  7 weeks

@emkaydeebee that's how I see it too, it's fun to have a challenge and a deadline and get a new song written, anything else is a bonus 😀

• @emkaydeebee  7 weeks

Exactly the line I almost wrote - Anything else is a bonus! It feels good already to know I have something to aim towards again, and that it is different from here is no bad thing for separating the two out in my head. 😊

• @bitshred  7 weeks

It says to submit the song by email, in AIFF, or WAV, (not mp3). Aren't those file formats rather large to email?

• @vomvorton  7 weeks

@bitshred the songs for each round get uploaded to Bandcamp, which requires uncompressed tracks. I've generally used a dropbox or google drive link to send over the larger files.

• @emkaydeebee  7 weeks

@bitshred I’d use wetransfer too 👍

• @bitshred  7 weeks

Ok, makes sense. Submit via email, with lyrics, and a link to dropbox/googledrive etc, is acceptable. Just didn't want to mess it up, if i do sign up and submit.

• @dzdandcunfsd  7 weeks

I don't know how years past have gone for them, but have a feeling they're going to probably be getting a lot more submissions than they're used to 😉

• @tcelliott  6 weeks

@bitshred There are directions/instructions in the posts/emails for each challenge. The easiest way is to upload your track to bandcamp and make it downloadable so they can grab it there. (I thought about starting a new/separate account on bandcamp just for odd things (that can be deleted later) as a solution to not polluting my main account.)

I always upload to my own hosting and provide a link. You could use any hosting service that allows downloading, though.

• @vomvorton  6 weeks

It begins! If you signed up then you should have already received the challenge via email, but if anyone was thinking about playing along unofficially or submitting a shadow entry, here are the details:

"Pleasure To Meet You: Introduce yourself with a song. You may present yourself truthfully, embellish your image, or adopt an entirely fictitious persona."

Examples and submission info is on the blog:
    https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2021/03/spintunes-17-round-1-...

• @emkaydeebee  6 weeks

Surprisingly hard challenge this one... head is spinning off in so many directions, but mostly with songs that already exist! Aargh!

• @tcelliott  6 weeks

I actually wrote one in FAWM that would work for this challenge. Now I'm having trouble with an angle. But I will endeavor to persevere.

• @psyt 6 weeks

I spent an hour writing lyrics (7 verses, no chorus, but a repeating element to start every verse), and another hour writing and arranging the music, now all that's left is to record those vocals, and automate whatever needs automation, but I don't feel like doing that right now. Maybe tomorrow.

• @emkaydeebee  6 weeks

https://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12054&p=2...

This is the forum post on songFight dedicated to Spintunes - nice bit of clarity from a former judge on what they’re looking for re the brief.

• @ustaknow 6 weeks

Yes, they do explain the criteria of the Rubric well; however, there's other reading beyond the summary. Their detailed rules link was great. It say's it all and it references specifically the "new" today format as was explained this is, with an offer of a suggestion box, - there.

The one thing that stuck out to me, it being a "competition", but the prize is a few more good songs, indeed, was, "good sports-person-ship". As that former judge said, at "n-many" songs and 4 judges, limited resources of regular folks doing it just to do it, - they're looking for any good reason to cull out the volume. I get that.

As a matter of consideration, while all the pre-contest-presumption pre-start-help to spread the word is great, (and they cite all the "forums" we all consider, and possibly under different ID's), "me", if "i" came to an entry and could not decide, I'd likely scan all these forums as well.
    - They do not have a forum there, which I think is fantastic.

So, me, as one who doesn't care about winning, esp at anyone's expense or demise, and I do like to see all win no matter whom you may be, - I'd be careful with comment content in any forum, or recycling any prior work.

As stated, the "idea" is to see what one might come up with, from the Starter flag, to the End flag, - like an "Iron Chef"..., "cook, stop, taste". It is what it is. Some meals get burned, but they look so good while doing it, - they still win! 😀

- Or, just ignore me, what do I know! 😉 But, I hope you all "win" with another good song you'd otherwise never've had.

• @daveyboy103  6 weeks

@emkaydeebee Thanks for the steer, I have asked to register.

• @emkaydeebee  6 weeks

@vomvorton Thanks so much for sharing this - it has been just the push I needed to continue on creating new music! Positively buzzing now!

• @vomvorton  6 weeks

@emkaydeebee you're welcome! I was only passing it on for the new organiser, but I'm glad it has given you some inspiration. I hope to be joining you in the buzz before the deadline!

• @psyt 6 weeks

I submitted my song for the first challenge. 😀

• @nightwing521  6 weeks

@ustaknow and @tcelliott : Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not talking about "overproduced" or anything like that. I'm talking about just getting a very basic recording done that is legible. (What would be the equivalent word for a sound recording? "audible" isn't quite right; perhaps "intelligible".) You may notice that I've only got two demos posted here in FAWM. The "Liquid Bread" one took me most of February. The other ("Surreal Blue") took me almost a week.

• @nightwing521  6 weeks

I am gonna TRY to submit a shadow though 😀

• @emkaydeebee  6 weeks

So there’s a meet the contestants blog up now (also on the songfight forum):
    https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2021/03/spintunes-17-meet-con...

47 contestants signed up, which from a comment I saw seems to equal their highest entry level to date. A few names I recognise from here 😃

• @mardeycranbleson 6 weeks

I keep vacillating but seeing my fake name listed there with everyone else is getting me a little more motivated.

• @emkaydeebee  6 weeks

@mardeycranbleson You can do it - but you know that! (Wondering which name is yours now...........)

• @mardeycranbleson 6 weeks

@emkaydeebee I’m buku Chauney on there that’s where I’ve put my stuff under bandcamp the past couple years .... saw you there !

• @emkaydeebee  6 weeks

@mardeycranbleson Excellent! It’s nice to be keeping an ear out for fellow fawmers! Cheer each other on and all that! (Can you tell this is helping fill the massive post-fawm void for me???!)

• @thedutchwidows  5 weeks

Song submitted... No idea if it's good, ok or awful. Thought it was good two days ago, but not so keen on it today. It was done though, so figured that I may as well send it in... Big thanks to @ayehahmur for the info on MT Power Drumkit - they're super musical and so easy to tweak, once you've got you're head round the process of incorporating them...

Good luck to everyone else sending something in!

• @ayehahmur  5 weeks

Hooray! Can't wait to hear it @thedutchwidows! (And all the other entries too).

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@thedutchwidows Yay, brilliant!! Looking forward to the listening party (on catch up - *not* staying up til the small hours to catch it live!!)

• @mardeycranbleson 5 weeks

Just submitted mine. Was a little caught off guard by the prompt but I think I made a decent entry. Usually only work on songs for about an hour so laboring over it over the course of a week is a bit different but pretty much why I wanted to try this. Don't think I can deal with the listening party though that's too much stress. Looking forward to listening to everyone's songs. Think all 47 will submit? I need to increase my chances of not getting cut 😀

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

I've just sent mine! After struggling with energy and motivation I finally drank enough coffee to get going, and I'm pretty happy with my song in the end.

@mardeycranbleson I feel like there will probably be at least a couple of no-shows but the number of cuts each round is going to be pretty rough! Glad I'm not judging, haha.

@vomvorton yeah I did okay on this one if I’m lucky to make the cut really need to step up my game for the next

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

Yeah, if all there, they’ll be cutting 14 each round I think? An unenviable task for the judges - 47 is a lot of songs to listen to and give due attention to! Well done for the submissions though... I agree, 9 days is a long time to sit with a song.

I thought about that I tried to make mine short to the point and without taking too long to get going.

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@mardeycranbleson very good thinking... mine is looooong! 😬

• @dzdandcunfsd  5 weeks

@mardeycranbleson that's another reason I wanted to do it as well I usualy spend no more than 1-2hrs on something. 9 freaking days? I wouldn't know what to do, but then I did about the same here. I submitted mine I think 2 days after the prompt was given with no desire to redo it and I might of spent 3-4 hours total on it. So getting better? I guess? LOL Tried to keep it pretty short as well, that's the last thing I'd want as a judge having to isten to ton of songs is have to sit through some 6-7 or more minute long thing that really does nothing but repeat itself, don't think they'll be too into ambience or mood for the sake of it, but who knows.

@vomvorton yeah judging this thing would suck, I'd be having a bad day and just hate everything for no reason more than likely LOL

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

With nine days to work on it I inevitably ended up doing nothing at all until yesterday, but I guess it was nice to have the time to let the idea evolve in my head for a bit before I actually wrote anything down.

• @dzdandcunfsd  5 weeks

True and while 9 days does seem like an eternity for any of us that do fawm it probably is a short amount of time for most sane people to write and record a song.

@dzdandcunfsd yep your description is exactly what happened to me. Thought I would do something really slick and well thought out but ended up just doing mostly what I usually do (keeping first takes etc).But I did take an extra day or so to really think out the chord progression before recording and did a little touch up after so that’s progress I guess.

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

I've observed that most people are, if like a song, as interested or more interested in the 1+1 demo, e.g. Tom Waits demos, "Get Back" (Beatles) coming out in Aug '21 this year (I may even watch it 😀 hahh), all the other many, many video documentaries with raw bounce tracks of non-auto-tuned or over processed "radio ready (?)" stuff. Why? (It has it's very good value.)

From what I supposed by all the pre-listening and reading, vetting there of priors (Spin), and why I thought it was likely a uniquely different, good "contest" if one, - submitted a "radio ready" BIAB versus a "Tom Waits" demo, the heart felt demo could possibly do better. As they describe, - to see what you can come up with, "just like that", or learn how to finish "writing" a song to present; - didn't say "finish" a song, -- finish writing so others could hear it.

That may be to subtle for some, and that's okay, it takes all kinds. However, it is a primary driver, "here".

So, again, aside from a somewhat rare blunt reveiw, there, (that was prequalified as, may be blunt, - but just in that headspace as I took it) to have total strangers write a paragraph for you to know is a good thing.

And, it's like Busking, some streets folks stop and drop money, other streets they cross the street and keep walking, - does not mean "you suck"... it just means you're on the - wrong street. We all need to learn the difference and how to correct it. Both, nonetheless are good information to learn good information from. And then "toilet paper their house" 😉 hahhh (kidding, kidding...).

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

A good summary @ustaknow ... did you enter in the end?

35 entrants our chances are looking up!

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

Oh, interesting! I didn't there would be that many people not to submit. Looking forward to hearing the ones that did!

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

Yes! Says they’ll eliminate 11 this round with 24 going through! 🙌

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

Have a great listening party folks... sharing link here for anyone else interested in listening in to 35 new songs (I’ll be in bed asleep alas but there’s always tomorrow)
    https://youtu.be/R5nbeZIPY0c

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

If you were sleeping, or left early as I did, just check the program list as played with all relevant in the links for the tracks:
    https://spintunes.bandcamp.com/

Great stuff!

• @nadine 5 weeks

Thanks for sharing! So many interesting ideas on that topic. Some songs were radio ready some very rough.
    So how do they decide?! On taste? Clicks? Quality?
    Good luck y'all!

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

The judges usually decide based on their perceived quality of the songwriting and how well the songs met the challenge. They'll all post some kind of reviews by the end of the week, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

If anyone's thinking about revisiting the listening party, be aware that at some point YouTube adds in the chat archive, which is always interesting! But for these longer streams it tends to take a few hours before it shows up.

• @ayehahmur  5 weeks

That was a great couple of hours of listening, guys! Well done to y'all. Games definitely upped all round!

• @declan  5 weeks

They seem to have put compression or something on mine.

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@declan did you send as a wav (or other bandcamp acceptable file?)... they said that if they received mp3s they would try and convert them but could affect sound?...

• @declan  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee I sent the Soundcloud link from which they downloaded the wav.

Not a big deal just sounds more like the pop band Radiohead than I intended.

I liked your song btw

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@declan ah cool... (nowt wrong with radiohead 😉)
    Thank you! I’m really enjoying listening to them all - such different responses!

• @declan  5 weeks

Yeah Radiohead are OK.

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

The chat replay has appeared on the listening party now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5nbeZIPY0c

• @rayboneor  5 weeks

Lots of good tunes there. Way to make us proud participating fawmers! I will bask in whatever derivative prestige falls my way--'cause I couldn't possibly take part in something like that 😀

Not managed to listen to all the songs yet, but the FAWM force is strong! Some excellent stuff in there from those whose names I've picked up on. Which are the FAWMers, so I know I've listened to them all? @emkaydeebee, @vomvorton, @mardeycranbleson and @psyt I've definitely heard, and all are excellent. Who have I missed?

Declan

Great - thanks. And Good Guy Sojabe too. Both excellent.

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

@tcelliott is Pigfarmer Jr - Kind of an odd fellow, tbh.

• @dzdandcunfsd  5 weeks

I'm one of the fuzznuts 😉

There was a lot of great tunes in there I enjoyed all of them, not envious of the judges.

@seemanski was there and I recognized at least one other fawmer.

@thedutchwidows I liked your title when it was typo'd LOL. I only halfway listened to them all during the listening party thing I was doing other stuff, but just watched the whole thing.

@tcelliot that little ending breakdown on yours I didn't catch last night(like I said was doing 2 or 3 things at once) but that was an excellent middle aged bedroom rockstar breakdown! I applauded 😉

Ah, one of the fuzznuts, I really liked that one a lot. It was in my top 3 for sure.

• @dzdandcunfsd  5 weeks

@mardeycranbleson Yours cracked me up! It's another I didn't really catch until listening through a second time. I would of probably went a very similar route had I not already wrote a bio for my "band" like two days previous to the challenge. I'm waiting for the rest of that SS number though 😉

Judges have their work cut out of for them for sure.

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

So here’s who I think is actively in the SpinTunes comp from here (shout if I’m wrong, or you don’t want linking, or I’ve missed anyone):
    Also in Blue - @scotttestmusic
    Buku Chauney - @mardeycranbleson
    David G Harrington - @daveyboy103
    Declan IOM - @declan
    The Dutch Widows - @thedutchwidows
    EmKayDeeBee - @emkaydeebee
    Good Guy Sôjàbé - @sw1n3flu @avidfanman @raindancerzero
    Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost - @terroratspacecamp
    Melody Klein - @psyt
    Pigfarmer Jr - @tcelliott
    Regis Michelena - @regis
    See-Man-Ski - @seemanski
    Vom Vorton - @vomvorton
    Yo Mammy and the Fuzznuts - @dzdandcunfsd
    SHADOW: Hutch - @nightwing521
    (There’s about 3 more who didn’t submit an entry in the end, and no doubt more who are choosing to remain as their alias!)

So at least 14/35! More than a third! (Two fifths in fact... and possibly more!)

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost is @terroratspacecamp's band.

There are a couple of others that I'm aware of but they seem to have consciously chosen a different name over there so I'll err on the side of caution and not out them.

• @sw1n3flu  5 weeks

Yes Good Guy Sôjàbé is me, @avidfanman and @raindancerzero

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

Brilliant - I’ve updated above! (Hello @terroratspacecamp! Great song!)

Thanks @vomvorton @sw1n3flu !

@sw1n3flu so is that you on the third verse then? The way you come In with those first couple of lines is incredible my favorite part of the song. I’ve listened to that song over again more than any of the other entries. Takes me back to when I was in middle school coming up on late 80s rap you guys nailed it.

• @terroratspacecamp  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee Thanks!

Lucky Witch is myself and my wife. There are two more members of the band but the likelihood that they show up in SpinTunes is unlikely but you never know.

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

@dzdandcunfsd said, "Judges have their work cut out of for them for sure."

Listening to the songs again and I'm sure I'll be cut (at least I'd rank me in the bottom quarter or so.) But it's fun to see so many entries and see so many Fawmers making good music.

• @nightwing521  5 weeks

And Hutch (shadowing) is @nightwing521

• @nightwing521  5 weeks

I must say that I'm glad I'm shadowing. I'm NOT pleased with the quality of my submission for the first round. The lyrics ain't bad but the recording sucks! That's my project for the year. Figure out how to record a better demo: higher quality, and more efficiently. The latter is the key, I think.

Yeah I didn’t want to be downer or sound like I was fishing for compliments but once I heard the rest I really started thinking mine sucks. I could only choose like 3 or 4 I thought were worse than mine and maybe 9 I thought could easily be ranked above or below mine. The rest like 25 I think were better songs. I don’t think I’ll make it through but if I do listening to everyone else’s might give me some ideas where to go which was my reason for doing this in the first place (challenging myself to do better).

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

@mardeycranbleson I am not a judge so my opinion doesn't particularly matter, but yours was one of my favourites, and I thought it was a really good take on the challenge too. Would have ranked top three for me.

Ah maybe I’m just being overly negative then. Either way I’m enjoying taking part. The competition aspect is motivating. Probably going to start doing songfight also.

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

Having read comments from previous judges, they look for anything to help them rank, and will be quick to disqualify if they don’t think it hits the remit. Listening to all 35, I think as fawmers we’re perhaps more used to writing to briefs between all the challenges/skirmishes we’re familiar with, and I think that shows. I think the bottom 11 this time could simply be disqualifications rather than ranking below the cut-off if that makes sense? (My way of saying keep believing in yourself! I believe in you all!)

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@nightwing521 Really cool to be shadowing and using the challenge to further your skills. Not sure what you’re hearing that I’m not - the sound quality is really clear and the balance between vocal and instrument seems good?

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee I don't remember too many disqualifications from the last couple of competitions (one or two maybe?), but they will certainly rank people lower if they don't think they have done a good job with the challenge and that could definitely have a big effect with so many eliminations. There are one or two that I could see possibly being DQed this time but I would be surprised if it was any more than that! All depends on the judges though I guess, and how mean they're feeling this week 😀

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@vomvorton ah that’s good! I’m on tenter hooks for tomorrow!

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

I second the "probably rank it lower but won't DQ it" tendency of the judges. It's been years since I judged but the conversation surrounding, what I thought was, an obvious disqualification was more "benefit of the doubt" but ding them on the score.

That being said, they do DQ songs.

• @sw1n3flu  5 weeks

@mardeycranbleson oh man - thanks! High praise indeed.
    Yes I am the Bé in Sôjàbé ... 😁

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@tcelliott ah that’s cool - I’ve obviously misinterpreted something I read, so that’s all positive 👍

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

When I reviewed this group, Spin., - what I found inspiring and different was the many different names of people in otherwise incestuous groups on the Net providing more of the same from more of the same, and not just one more of the same. What a nice surprise! 😀

They to me, or would not have encouraged anyone to proceed, appeared focus on success, what's the good of what you did, not the disqualifying elements. Not the negative. So, when "judging" ? (policing?), anything, one may do a superior job if focus on what's good in any of the songs and the one with more "good", well, is more, good 😉 Versus, what's bad, negative or wrong with it, and then consider this is not the worst of it yet, so wins (?). (Wonderful prize indeed)
    - One may have a very aggressively negative tone, or contrarian manner toward any project, or, - not. The "Science" shows, the aggresively positive, is always superior in action, if even supposition.

One is unifying. One is not.

And that's the good I saw of this SpinTunes group and why I sent, anyone, there.
    - Hoping for the best, good and fun of it for all, - all win, not a disection pre-pre-post-mortem for what then finally "worked out" per supposition and feelings.

Kind of the pure, and goodly FAWM thing we have and renewed every year by the wiping of it.

- I didn't hear a bad, or disqualifying song. If I did, and then said so, I'd be appologising for encouraging anyone to engage it.

As the Spin. Mod said, lets see what you can come up with and learn how to submit a song for review, - in explaining a/the intent as I read what was provided. Like FAWM/5090, the "prise" is, the work product and good relationships from it all. "That" is far easier to accomplish if focus on what's "right" with a piece of work product, not wrong, (and beyond, way beyond "i liked it' (?) ).

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@ustaknow Hear hear!

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee To be fair, new judges every contest so who the hell knows what will happen?

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

@tcelliott exactly. They might decide to disqualify everyone on a technicality.

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@tcelliott I guess all four have to agree to actually DQ?...

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee if it's anything like the judging for Nur Ein (similar contest that I judged last year) then if there's any doubt about a song then the judges will discuss it and see if any of them can make a case for it meeting the challenge, even if it's in an unconventional way. I think it would take a concerted effort to fully ignore the challenge to actually get kicked out, and this first round has plenty of room for creative interpretation in it (more so than, say, "write a song without using the letter E" or something that can be objectively verified).

• @zecoop  5 weeks

I have disqualified my own song... Oh wait, I didn't join. But that's how I wanted to introduce myself!!! I am such an enigma. 😉

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@zecoop 🤣

@vomvorton you judged Nur Ein? That’s so cool! I was eyeing that up for a nice follow on from SpinTunes...

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee yep, @owl and I won it the previous year so we took on the role of judging. Somehow I found it more exhausting than competing! Although I did write a shadow entry for seven of the eight weeks too so probably mostly have myself to blame 😁

It's a fun competition though, definitely worth giving it a go when this year's starts!

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

What I liked of what I saw and looked into their past events was the "culture" of them, even, regardless of the specifics. Like the FAWM culture it will work for many and not at all for some. Likely that overall feel is easily accessed.
    - Yet I always say, you never know where you are unless been there typically 2 years 😀 online, ftf, irl, fantasy worlds 😀

I don't think, imo, the Spin. "rubric" is arbitrary in any way. If it were many who instinctively engage it would not. There are many online groups that I can immediately see will not be something I'd be interested in.

How important that may be is arguable. However, remembering way back to Berkeley Online in Coursera when there was no rubric, it seemed good, but failed many if even "free". Many took the classes and off-lined it in groups.This goes back a good while.

Then magically the "peer review" was "weighted" min'mly and then https://teaching.berkeley.edu/resources/assessment-and-evaluation/d...

were clear. And if were not, - were "weighted" so as to actually not matter in a peer review environment.

Then they evolved into their Capstone thingy.

Many "test" curriculum's. Berkeley is just the easiest to reference since many know of it.

Quite often a "good" thing is defined by the *interpreter of a Rubric and in any facet of life.

For example, at work, approached about a person that was brilliant, but, contrarian to the point people would not engage them. Me as "consultant" and at hundreds of companies was asked what to do - fire'em?!

The person there for 10+yrs, with annual training at $n/year was quite an investment. My suggestion was, "gap" analysis. Since so good at seeing the BAD in ALL 😀 hahhh, a good leader, leads their people to success, not failure.

Yes, they were shocked since recently scheit upon by them. But hey, - who cares 😀

And so worked 'till retirement I understand but never knew why 😀

Same for music, - "not good" or not for you? Polka anyone?!

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

(Yes, diff Berk, but all I could find in a minute and works 😀 )

• @emkaydeebee  5 weeks

@vomvorton amazing! I can imagine judging would be far more exhausting. So many to listen to and give due attention to. So much feedback to collate, and just how to rank them when so different etc. Bet it was a fascinating process all the same.

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

@emkaydeebee Back in the day, it only took a majority of judges to DQ an entry. But in the case of four judges (are there only four judges? I somehow thought it was five but maybe I'm confusing nur ein?) three would have to agree.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

@tcelliott yup, four... Cybronica, Denise Hudson, Jocko Homomorphism and Wil Whalen (aka tenmere)

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

Liking this new prompt!

Those who are experienced in these competitions, besides the obvious of taking on board the content of the reviews, is it best to try and do something wildly different with your second song (whether a shadow or still a contender) to show breadth and avoid boring people, or is it a case of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? Do you intentionally mix it up, or stick with what worked?

• @terroratspacecamp  4 weeks

@emkaydeebee I'm of two minds on this question.

The competitor side of me says:
    You haven't gotten the reviews back from the judges yet so you don't know what worked for you in their eyes and figuring out their whims is a part of the game. You don't want to go black metal for a set of judges who really like jazz.

As the guy who runs Nur Ein:
    Cream always rises to the top. Go in guns blazing with the best song you can and the judges will follow suit. Plus I think taking part in these contests should be scene as a creative endeavour and that means taking chances sometimes.

Playing it safe will only get you so far. You will land on the middle of the judges ranks. But as time goes by, you'll find that safe spot will get increasingly unsafe as it edges closer to the bottom.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

Thanks @terroratspacecamp! Really helpful and thought provoking... looking forward to seeing the reviews for all the songs and building that picture of the judges...

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

I love this new challenge. I will revisit it in the future.

I went from too many choices down to two that I really wanted to do down to a rough lyric and now to a possible final lyric. All in a very short amount of time.

• @dzdandcunfsd  4 weeks

That is a cool next prompt. I'll be playing along even if not in the "competition" anymore. It's a prompt of something I often start out doing, but as with most things I never stay on track.

@tcelliott I'm in the too many choices stage 🤣, but did just read it.

I find it slightly odd knowing the prompt for the next round before the decisions from the one before, but it probably helps keep the "shadow" songs coming if you've already started or at least starting thinnking about a song probably more apt to submit one anyway.

• @psyt 4 weeks

Someone posted his unofficial reviews for a few of the songs already on the SongFight forums. It seems he'll be posting reviews for all of the first round entries. 😀

https://songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12061

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

@dzdandcunfsd - They used to give us the next challenge when the scores/results went up (or shortly thereafter) but I like having the extra day even if it's only spent contemplating the challenge. And when it's a good challenge, like this one, then I'll be happy to shadow as I'm sure I'll like my song whether it's in the contest or not (and whether it's really any good or not.)

• @mardeycranbleson 4 weeks

Ha got cut - but along with 2 of my top 3 picks so not too upset. Completely agree with pretty much what I read of the reviews. Felt like it was a pretty bland offering after hearing the rest and somehow it got even more muffled and flat sounding after I passed it off. Congratulations to those going to the next round!

• @vomvorton  4 weeks

Bad luck @mardeycranbleson, I honestly thought you'd cruise through but every judge is different I guess (as perfectly indicated by the wild discrepancy between some of their rankings!)

Congrats to @emkaydeebee and @scotttestmusic for each ranking top with individual judges, very cool!

• @declan  4 weeks

Last and some unfathomable comments.

I think I went too pop.

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

@declan Too pop!! Muahaha

• @dzdandcunfsd  4 weeks

@declan yeah and I guess I went "too live" with my "live performance filter".....is that really a thing? smdh..... I read everyones reviews I think I agree with you on the unfathomable bit too, but yeah you definitely went too pop for that crowd 🤣

@mardeycranbleson I had @emkaydeebee in my top 5 and I think that's the only one of those that made the cutoff LOL.

Like I suspected I'll probably still send in a shadow tune, just because I'm already thinking about it, but I know when I'm not welcome to a party 😉 Congrats to everyone moving along!

• @declan  4 weeks

Anyway the artwork in Tate Modern Cybronica refers to in her review of my song is Babel by Cildo Meireles.

I love it, including the audio, which is why videoed it. https://twitter.com/declaniom/status/1373464073426374656?s=21

I even use a selfie taken in its glow as my Facebook image.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

Wow, what an interesting process it is... thanks @vomvorton - ranking first with one of the judges blew my mind, but I was soon brought back to earth by being ranked 33rd by one of the others, ha ha! Well done on your placing third overall though, that’s stunning!

Sad to see those who came below the cutoff - the reality of it suddenly feels brutal when it effects people I know! (That’s just me recognising my emotional response - I know this is the competition we all entered freely and in knowledge of how it works!) In one way we all introduced ourselves well by presenting our style of music and writing, regardless of whether the lyrics actually said “this is me”, but I recognise it was required to be more explicit.

For my part, I recognise I need to up my game lyrically. I love the next prompt, but after reading the reviews I am now in danger of overthinking every aspect of it... eek!

• @thedutchwidows  4 weeks

Well done to those that ranked well, and commiserations to those that didn’t. It's a tough crowd and the judges seem to have pretty disparate views…

How should one reconcile the judge’s comments with one’s own view on what you did? Should you try and do something that you think will work for the judges, or just do what you do? Probably a redundant question for me, as everything I do sounds pretty much the same whatever the intent!

Will struggle to play to the judges too much anyway, as I'm not sure I could second guess what they're looking for - one of the judges wanted more of a bit in my song that I absolutely hate – it was there as a placeholder for 4 bars until I could think of something better, but couldn’t, so left it. I almost took it out at the last minute as I thought it was so crap it ruined the end of the song, but that was the bit the judge focussed on… Opinions, eh?

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

As Niveous said, the best strategy is usually to write the best song you can and make the best production you can. There's no way to please all the judges.

Part of the issue is that each judge can judge with different criteria in mind. For me, it was always, do I want to listen to this song again. But I'd have to temper that with genres that I don't usually listen to. Some judges want the best technically written/produced song. Some want the most original or least "boring" (whatever that is.) So playing to the judges based on their comments in one round would be nearly impossible, imo. Although reviewing the top five or ten songs of a judge might give a hint... but maybe not.

Any competition or contest involves playing to the judges. But I think that's a general "up my quality" as opposed to writing or producing the way you think an individual judge or group of judges would want.

• @daveyboy103  4 weeks

I squeaked through the first round, PHEW!

I think I need to up my game in the next round.

• @psyt 4 weeks

I'm befuddled as to that low 28 I got from one of the judges (while the rest gave me 3, 9, and 12). It doesn't help that her ranking didn't come with reviews, Until further notice, I'm just gonna have to assume it's strong bias against my genre.

• @declan  4 weeks

I notice some of the other lower scorers got criticism for vocals being too low in the mix and for impressionistic rather than figurative lyrics. Admittedly this prompt was leading towards the latter but those are still valid songwriter choices.

Anyway I’ve got to remember my approach to creative contests (I enter poetry slams and short story contests locally) and FAWM too to an extent is -

1. Get really excited about the creative possibilities.
    2. Realise what I’m planning is structurally in some way “wrong”, and (musically at least) limited by my skill set and preference for semi-improvised, immediate creativity (practice, rehearsal, retakes, writing down beforehand is cheating). But I will find it creatively fulfilling and fun. So it’s fine if the judges ultimately don’t like it because I don’t expect them to.
    3. I then get really excited by what I’ve made because its subject matter, form, word choice are things that excite me. And convince myself I’m going to win.

• @rayboneor  4 weeks

I've been following the spintunes judging with a certain academic fascination. It's easy for me to imagine that some of my favorite all-time songs by some of my favorite artists might fail to make the cut. And just this morning I read Virginia Woolf's assessment of James Joyce's Ulysses: "An illiterate, underbred book it seems to me: the book of a self-taught working man, & we all know how distressing they are, how egotistic, insistent, raw, striking & ultimately nauseating.” LOL. Come to think of it, I think the worst book ever written is Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. I can't believe that thing ever got published--and he won the freaking Nobel Prize. It seems to me that you're the ultimate winner if, like declan, you "find it [the songwriting challenge] creatively fulling and fun."

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

@rayboneor - thank you, I needed that!

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

How’re folks getting on with this next prompt?...

• @psyt 4 weeks

I finished mine 3 days ago.

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

I wrote a song the first day (Saturday) and half of another song on Sunday. Recorded most of the parts. Just need to mix and send it in.

Might finish the second song as a shadow, maybe.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

Wow, impressive! I had to re-read the book first...

• @vomvorton  4 weeks

I'm nowhere yet. Terrible week. Hoping I can pull something together this weekend.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

I believe in you @vomvorton. I’ve had nothing til I made a start today... there’s still time 👍

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

I hope you can find the time and inspiration, Vom. You're an early favorite of mine.

• @declan  4 weeks

Mine's based upon a well known folk-tale, I've read several variations on the tale, and several academic pieces on it. I'm drawing on these to write my version, and have written 1000 words of the first draft of that story (I'll finish that tonight - it'll be 2k). I've made the backing track and written 38 words of the lyrics.

To do

1. Finish the first draft of the story.
    2. Finish the lyrics
    3. Record the singing
    4. Add texture to the recording.
    5. Mix and upload
    6. Write the explanatory comments
    7. Compile a glossary
    8. 2nd draft of the story and editing process of that. But that can be done after the song's been submitted.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

That sounds epic @Declan! I really wanted to up my game lyrically this time, so have spent a few days re-reading the book I wanted to source from, and I wrote about 20 pages of notes on my character to draw my lyrics from. Of course, whilst the lyrics are now really relevant to the story, the nuances of them and reasons for some word choices won’t necessarily jump out at people who haven’t just read it! 🤦🏼‍♀️

• @declan  4 weeks

There's a danger that you go too in depth if you immerse yourself in the text. The challenge is the same as when drawing from one's own life - make the specific universal.

• @emkaydeebee  4 weeks

Alas, I may well fail!

• @tcelliott  4 weeks

To do list:
    Brag that I've sent in my song and can have a free weekend.

Good luck to the rest of y'all. (Except Melody who has been in for five days already.)

• @thedutchwidows  3 weeks

I'm not sure a song about grief in 3/4 was quite the pick-me-up I needed this week, but my strange quirk of a song is done and submitted.

Good luck to those burning the midnight oil over the weekend!

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

Well done guys! 👏

@thedutchwidows A song about grief in 3/4? Well that already has me smiling... I’m sensing it will be poignant?...

Almost midnight here and I’m turning in for the night, but song is close now. Been very grateful for support in realising the vision in my head... Still need a title, and then should be able to submit at some point Saturday... (working in the afternoon though, so that messes things up a bit.)

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

Just submitted mine... shattered now. Clocks change here tonight too...

• @thedutchwidows  3 weeks

Well done @emkaydeebee - you can enjoy your Sunday now!

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

@thedutchwidows it’s a relief for sure! And today is now a much needed chill-out day... might even watch a Star Wars with the kids...

Hoping everyone still writing is doing okay... it’s not too late til it’s too late! Another 16-17 hours I think?...

• @tcelliott  3 weeks

16 hours 12 minutes as of now. There's a timer on the blogspot page:

https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2021/03/spintunes-17-round-2-...

• @vomvorton  3 weeks

Ugh, just scrapped my lyrics and started again.

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

We’re all rooting for you @vomvorton!

• @vomvorton  3 weeks

Thanks @emkaydeebee, I pulled something together!

Last-minute pressure is the best inspiration...

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

@vomvorton Yay! Brilliant! 👏

• @sw1n3flu  3 weeks

boom

• @declan  3 weeks

Got mine submitted. It's quite long.

• @regis  3 weeks

I had a hard time figuring out my angle on this one, with several false starts. I came *this close* to a Chipmunks on 16 speed-type of song (singing over music that was slowed 50%) based on “Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu” but it didn’t quite get there - had fun rereading the book, though!

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

So 23 of the 24 got their songs in, and Rackwaggon have been reinstated as highest in the cut list from the first round.
    Listening party tonight at 9pm EDT on youtube... (and thereafter on bandcamp)

https://youtu.be/5AC8C-NLvsQ

• @vomvorton  3 weeks

Chat replay is already up!

• @emkaydeebee  3 weeks

What a stunning collection of songs! Everyone across the board upped their game. I don’t envy the judges trying to place one above another, but they’ve got a fantastic week of listening ahead. They’re all corkers, and I feel honoured to be alongside you.

• @tcelliott  3 weeks

I heard most of the songs last night and will finish this morning. Everything I've heard so far proves what a great challenge this was.

• @regis  3 weeks

Agreed. I don’t recall a single entry that I immediately thought wasn’t a contender to advance.

• @emkaydeebee  2 weeks

The next round’s challenge has been announced... Palindromes!

http://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2021/04/spintunes-17-round-3-c...

• @psyt 2 weeks

One of the reviews I just saw on the songfight forums for my round 1 song just flabbergasted me. It was negative as a whole, but sure, whatever, not everyone will be into my genre, and there's plenty biases to go around between all of the reviewers, but the thing I'm taking issue with is that she says of the lyrics: "no attempt at crafting or rhyming" -- it's specifically her call out of the lack of rhyming I take issue with, as it is factually incorrect. Every pair of lines in those lyrics end on a rhyme (a few are imperfect, but still rhymes):
    Chick / It; Bed / Instead; Girl / Twirl; Them / BDSM; Come / Succumb; Am / Tamed; Games / Them; Play / Layed; Parks / Box; Ignored / Before; Freak / Links; Own / Shown; Know / Go; Smart / A lot.

What the hell?

• @declan  2 weeks

One of my reviews began “GOOD GOD, MAN!”

• @zecoop  2 weeks

@psyt - I am not even IN the competition and have had major issues with several judge’s song reviews. It was like they didn’t even listen to the same song I did. Obviously personal taste has a big part in it, but certain basics about a song can’t be argued - or I guess they can.

@declan - that is a ridiculous comment for an official judge to make, no matter the contest. DQ the judge. 😎

• @tcelliott  2 weeks

And on the third day the pigfarmer had nothing. Anyone else struggling?

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

Yup. Intriguing challenge but quite a tricky one! Although I suppose the difficulty level depends on how deep down the palindrome rabbit hole you go. But also the subject / title is a total free-for-all this time, I like a challenge that pushes me in a direction, all this freedom is hard to handle!

• @thedutchwidows  2 weeks

Glad it's not just me then. I got a drum beat and that's it. I'd assumed the well had run dry - hadn't thought about option paralysis. Just too much choice.

• @vomvorton  2 weeks

@thedutchwidows it had better be a palindromic drum beat, or *shakes fist*

@vomvorton I did consider recording something, and then just reversing it for the second half, like a massive song palindrome. I still might if I can't think of something better.

• @psyt 2 weeks

I wrote some music for this two days ago, with several of the melodic lines being palindromes, and I was about to write lyrics when I came across that review, which soured my mood, then not long after I saw I was cut off anyway, and had very little desire to continue working on it as a shadow submission.
    I'll use what I wrote at some point in the future, but not for SpinTunes. I'm out.

• @emkaydeebee  2 weeks

Glad it’s not just me. I’m finding this challenge really hard! Playing around with all sorts of lyric ideas, playing around with chord progressions... it leaves me feeling like a total idiot right now tbh for how naff it all sounds, like there’s nothing original left to create. I should be on a high for getting through but I’m feeling so flat and deflated right now. (Plus issues with my daw subscription playing up again means I have nothing to record on just now.)

@emkaydeebee - sounds like there are a few struggling with this one... Hang in there - something will happen! A last minute panic and a phoned-in track on Sunday is my current plan.

What DAW do you use? My son uses ProTools and had similar sounding issues. He had to buy a USB licence, and then a protective case for it and some kind of insurance. Sounded like a rip-off, but it did cure his online licensing issue.

@psyt - some of the reviews are pretty cutting. All you can do is be true to yourself, and not let the opinions of others bother you. They're just opinions, no more right than anyone else's. Isn't there a phrase about opinions and a**eholes? Everyone has one...

• @emkaydeebee  2 weeks

Thanks for the encouragement @thedutchwidows! Yes, my DAW’s pro tools too. I have the iLok USB license. The whole system has worked well for me for 3 years, but these last couple of months have been stressful!

• @emkaydeebee  2 weeks

Okay, who’s finding they’re now reading everything they see backwards?...

...sdrawkcab ees yeht gnihtyreve gnidaer won er’yeht gnidnif s’ohw, yako?

• @emkaydeebee  2 weeks

Em tsuj? On?

• @vomvorton  1 week

I wrote two complete lyrics for this round. Decided the first one didn't cut it and started again from scratch. This is not normal!

Think I'm starting to get somewhere... definitely won't be as last minute as the last round which is surely a good thing.

• @tcelliott  1 week

I'm more than likely not going to finish a song. Or at this rate do much other than begin a song. Life has fucked me once again. Good news is I'm getting used to it. Suffice it to say I'm tired of spending time in hospitals (visiting, not a patient.)

• @emkaydeebee  1 week

@tcelliott - aw that sucks. Sorry you’re going through such a rough time. In the grand scale of things, this is just a song comp, there are bigger things going on in real life.

@vomvorton I know what you mean... so many screwed up bits of paper on my floor right now.

• @ayehahmur  1 week

I've been following and enjoying the contest so far and *really* looking forward to hearing your efforts this time round. Love this challenge!

Good luck,all. (And all best wishes to all concerned @tcelliott.)

• @vomvorton  1 week

Managed to get mine mostly finished today! Feels good to be a little ahead of the game after coming down to the wire last round.

• @emkaydeebee  1 week

Have just submitted! This has been hard - it’s a relief to let it go!

• @thedutchwidows  1 week

Well done @vomvorton / @emkaydeebee - you're both well ahead of me! Look forward to hearing what you've done. Hang in there @tcelliott - hope everyone's OK.

I have music that is adequate at best, and not much else... Working for much of today, but hoping to find a couple of hours to do something with it tonight...

• @emkaydeebee  1 week

Fingers crossed for you @thedutchwidows! Well done @vomvorton !

• @vomvorton  1 week

Just submitted mine. I really went all-in on this challenge, haha.

Congrats on getting yours in early @emkaydeebee! Good luck @thedutchwidows! Hope things improve for you @tcelliott!

• @declan  1 week

I didn't shadow this time. I got the Covid Jab on Saturday morning and the after effects lingered.

• @emkaydeebee  1 week

Writing this now before we lose this method of communication!

This last round on palindromes has produced some really clever songs - I’m totally in awe of those of you who wrote line-unit palindrome songs!

@vomvorton Thanks so much for bringing this contest to our attention! I know it’s been a mixed bag of emotions for each who entered the ring. For my part, it has helped me work on my polishing skills, and definitely made me push myself further than I ever have. I’m stunned to have made it to round 3. I’m grateful to @zecoop for his support through it, and for pushing me to be better.

And everyone who has entered a song at any point, you will get to rank the final four, whoever they end up to be, so do return and do that when it comes to it!

@scotttestmusic
    @mardeycranbleson
    @daveyboy103
    @declan
    @thedutchwidows
    @sw1n3flu @avidfanman @raindancerzero
    @terroratspacecamp
    @psyt
    @tcelliott
    @regis
    @seemanski
    @vomvorton @dzdandcunfsd
    @ustaknow

• @vomvorton  1 week

@emkaydeebee no worries, glad you've gotten something out of it! Everyone did excellent work this round, it was a fun challenge and I loved hearing everyone's different takes on it.

• @thedutchwidows  1 week

Yep, cheers for flagging it @vomvorton. It's been fun working to a brief in a short timeframe, and the comments/competitive element really force you to raise your game to avoid lazy habits and being sloppy (both of which I'm very keen on).

I found this round really difficult and it's so interesting to see what everyone else has done; they're all so different, and yet all really good. To my ear, there are two stand-out songs, but then if I've learnt anything since the start of March, it's that it's all massively subjective and so they'll probably both be knocked out!

• @declan  1 week

Yeah it's been an interesting experience, even if I finished last in the first week and one of the judges ranked me last of the shadows and entries last week.

Really like @thedutchwidows track this time.

• @siebass  1 week

This whole contest seems like it would have been a lot of fun; I'll have to remember for next year's FAWM to keep an eye out.

• @vomvorton  1 week

There's another similar challenge that usually kicks off in May (I think). Looser challenges, tighter deadlines. Just FYI, if anyone's desperate for more punishment...

https://nure.in/about.php

• @regis  1 week

I'll echo the @vomvorton appreciation for bringing this to our collective attention - I enjoyed getting to give my production more effort than it typically gets. There were a lot of solid entries in the palindrome round, and I too particularly dug @thedutchwidows this time around. Looking forward to the finals, and taking another crack at this down the road!

• @terroratspacecamp  1 week

Thanks for the Nur Ein mention @vomvorton. Nur Ein is a monster of a contest. It is a challenge of creativity and time management but there is something about the contest that brings out some amazing songs. Check out the archive. There have been some very good tunes over the last 15 years.

And I invite all of you to come take a shot at the challenge when it starts up again in May.

• @emkaydeebee  6 days

So as we’re still here just now... the round 4 (final) challenge has been released ahead of the round 3 results due later today.

http://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2021/04/spintunes-17-round-4-c...

The challenge is to write a song containing no more than 25 separate words... icosapentalogia.

• @emkaydeebee  5 days

Congrats to the final four! Including two fawmers - bravo! I do hope the fawmers in 5th & 6th also shadow, just in case!
    Well done everyone involved! Such a mixed bag of scores overall, with three different 1st AND 14th rankings for three fawmers!

• @vomvorton  5 days

Congrats to Also in Blue and Seemanski! Wild range of judging again, kinda knew I wouldn't make the cut this time but had no idea who would.

Will see how it goes with the shadowing. I have some other musical projects I've been putting off that would be nice to get into, but if I get a solid idea for the challenge then it'd be good to get a shadow in...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...