What are the ethics of releasing a song made from Creative Commons samples?

Skip to the bottom

• @glasscrow Feb 24

That's pretty much it...

Should I recreate the sounds myself (with synths) before releasing? Or is it justified as-is as long as I follow the CC license rules for those sounds?

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 24

It's just that, those sounds are there for your own use as long as you give credit where its due. I would think anything un-ethical would be recreating those sounds and calling them your own 😁 but that's just me.

• @quork  Feb 24

Is it any different from using presets on a piece of hardware or software? If that’s unethical I’m in big trouble.

• @johnstaples  Feb 24

Yeah I'm gonna say it is deinitely ethical. No problems using these as long as you just follow the license requirements,

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

• @elesimo  Feb 24

Just make sure you follow the licenses. Some require attribution, some cannot be modified, some cannot be used comercially.

• @ustaknow Feb 24

Hey @glasscrow - great question, dbl checking. πŸ˜€

Generally, speaking since you are so ethical πŸ˜€ as with Public Domain re-writes, or use of some phrase, hook of 2-3 lines (the only thing that exists 150yrs later, e.g., a field-hand "work chant"), it's great to "reference" it in a liner note, etc.

Like, e.g., the song "Cocaine", or the one I seem to keep fighting with, "Satan..., gonna burn your kingdom down". (How I got "started" on that one?, - Robert Plant never referenced it, that I could find when looked then, - and knew the (c) to him was for the performance, version, etc. πŸ˜€ ) (I also get why legally he may do that, - just say'n, just say'n πŸ˜‰ )

In academia some say, "Plagiarism" (none-referenced stuff), may not be illegal, but, eh, it's icky πŸ˜€
    - In corporate amerhika it's called "boiler plate", hahhh! πŸ˜‰

I just love music!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...