Does anyone else do this--vocal cues when tracking or any other recording helpers?

Skip to the bottom

• @guatecoop  1 week

I accidentally posted a version of a song in the last week that had my vocal cues in it! I quickly fixed that, but that got me to wonder whether anyone else did this, or whether anyone else uses different methods to keep track of where you are...Of course I use paper and pen, but here is a sample of what I do when I am having a hard time with the structure of a song--whether it is mine or someone else's....
    https://files.fawmers.org/FAWM_2021/guatecoop/guatecoop_FAWM2021_On...

• @sunnymae  1 week

OMG...I loved hearing this and yes!!! I cue myself, especially with large production and shifting time signatures, but mostly what I cut out are my sailor mouth comments, that when I listen back, are hysterically funny, especially when I'm singing all spiritual and shit, make a mistake and go into a foul mouthed tirade in the same breath. πŸ˜€

• @mikeb 1 week

No, I don't need another track to try to remember to mute when mixing! If there's a place where its hard to get the vocal started right, I will just keep recording takes until I get it right - then do a few more for 'luck'!

• @tcelliott  1 week

I actually will put in little musical cues... a little hammer on in the bass on the acoustic guitar track is the most common. Sometimes it's doubling the number of bass notes leading into the bridge or something.

The advantage is that I don't have to erase them, mute them, etc.,

• @pipewrench67  1 week

I put markers in my DAW to note where changes are, this is usually needed earlier in the process when the song is still forming, but is also useful when coming back to a tune after being away for a few weeks.
    If a vocal harmony is particularly tricky or comes in odd, I will put ia instrument in play the vocal (I used to do this more, last year I made a point of not doing it for FAWMand have continued with that this year). It can be a challange but it also sharpens your instincts.

• @yam655  1 week

I'm known to watch the waveform of a particular track for timing. It's pretty easy to put a few midi notes on a fresh track specifically for the purpose of a visual cue.

When doing procedural song generation, I'm known to use an explicit marker track specifically to indicate segment-type changes. (Verse vs. chorus, etc.)

I like text markers, but I've never got the hang of using those in anything other than Audacity.

Mind you, I'm not playing instruments, so I can be smack dab in front of my computer.

• @sph  1 week

I'm also looking at markers or the arranger track where I can give sections different colours. But those vocal cues are a really cool idea. Like those IEM mixes by stadium bands that have their cues for synching up with their lightshow/special fx. (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYt0LKuL2Po)

• @scottlake 1 week

Yes.

• @burrsettles  1 week

I don't think I've ever done this... I've been known to record scratch vocals early on before recording most of the instruments, and then (usually) re-record them, but I guess the stuff I do may be formulaic enough to not need cues and reminders like this! Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

• @guatecoop  1 week

I definitely use all of these ideas, aside from @burrsettles scratch track...well, maybe a guitar now and then.
    @sunnymae yes, the foul mouthed tirade usually precedes me deciding to do vocal cues with a mic. Then I wonder what took me so long to do it!
    @mikeb unfortunately I didn’t remember to mute it, which led to disparaging and foul mouthed comments...
    @tcelliott 95% of the time I use musical cues or just remember it.
    @pipewrench67 and @yam655 markers and waveforms are my next defense, but my back is turned when I’m playing drums. For everything else that makes it much easier.
    @sph I definitely have cues for the choreography, but I’m not sharing those today. Maybe tomorrow or next year

• @thefinalfrontier  1 week

@sunnymae yes! me comping vocal takes is mostly cutting out the "and to you my love....F*CK" and "the wind through the trees DAMNIT REMEMBER THE WORDS"

• @rshakesp  1 week

My workflow this year has bern - record guitar track first over an in ear metronome, with a distant mic’d amp whilst humming the lyrics. Them tecord the lyrics over the guitar track - then add everything else. Ive found that means i don’t make time expensive mistakes in over ir undr counting phrases. So no profane tracks to delete for me!!

• @theodamus  1 week

@sunnymae @thefinalfrontier yep the constant stream of swearing, it’s what makes my vocal takes so lit πŸ˜‚

• @sailingmagpie  1 week

This is a great idea that I'm 100% stealing! I always record scratch vocal takes, especially when I haven't finished the lyrics yet. If I'm having trouble hitting a harmony, I'll record the starting note on an organ for a few bars before I need to come in.

• @rustyp 1 week

Once I'm recording a vocal that might be a keeper, or at least a cleanish demo, I usually know when to come in, but if there is a particularly sparce track, I might record a cue.
    But I happen to be blind, so I can't read lyrics, in the traditional way, so I have my screen reader reading me lyrics in my headphones. I often wish I could have a cue track playing in my ears when I perform. πŸ˜€ I forget lyrics all the time.
    the other day I was recording a lipsync video as part of a music video and I prepared a special track to lipsync to which contained a click and count-in so I could play the guitar in time, and also lyrical cues so i would lipsync the right words. πŸ˜€
    I was pretty impressed with the track and wish, again, that I could have that kind of track in my in-ears when I perform. πŸ˜€

• @hmorg  1 week

I'm an awful, afwul singer, so since last year's FAWM I've done a tune track for the vocal melody (if applicable) to try to help me sing in tune. Of course, that has probably worked exactly once and even then not spectacularly.

• @jmadison  1 week

I do a lot of the above. Scratch track for vocals and guitar is my starting point, then I use markers in the DAW to indicate chorus, verse, etc. When re-recording I watch the actual waveform for the big bursts that happen, or say switching from chunky guitar to ringing strums. I should probably work on simply using my ears more. πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow 1 week

They change per the context of use, need. E.g., for "drums" (live) a lead sheet with a bunch of | /// | /// | 1/2 fill |

For songs, if done live and "new" - always a performance note at the beginning. And, all (for me the cue), the chord name over the word when occurs; for some environments is has to be prior (where formatting won't hold like "here", (G) word word word, (C) word word word).

And as I just love when this happened, hahh, I "mistakenly" put up a lead sheet, may have even been pdf, with all my short hand and one fine fellow kept insisting that Bb meant Bflat when right above I had a πŸ˜‰ "Bflat" since the Bb meant "sing - b" in the Triad πŸ˜‰ hahahahaha... jah, just can't correct yourself sometimes if not reading the answer. (e.g., Cg, c-chord, sing g)

- So, no more leadsheets. There maybe a few still on the BC for lyrics since didn't bother. Now I just strip it all clean and avoid the self-Tab con-fuse-shion πŸ˜€

Hahh, what a gift, (OP track), - to get an "in ear" that says, hey drummer, this is coming... I usually need an end of phrase half/quarter rest to make up time for the guitar player that does not play 4/4 in 4/4 πŸ˜‰ - they have to add a few now and then for some reason, and make it 6/4 and etc. (I had a guy, long ago, only want "me" since would make up time for him, - most that I know, will not, hahhh, period, - play the click and if you drift, oh well... that's not good either, but hilarious to see, well, sometimes πŸ˜‰ )

• @scottlake 1 week

In our band at church our click track also has section verbal cues

• @hmstreetteam  1 week

When multitracking, I usually have a big sloppy handwritten diagram of the song on a sheet of paper that has all the measure numbers. I don’t know why that feels easier for me.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...