A quick PSA if you're feeling stressed

Skip to the bottom

• @headfirstonly  1 week

Folks, if you're stressing for any reason during FAWM, whether it's over the number of songs you've written so far, the quality of the work you're doing (or not doing) or even just how many comments you've left on other people's songs, please don't. Give yourself a break!

The people taking part here live in a wide range of circumstances. Some FAWMers have more resources available (like time, or gear, or just a quiet space to work in, or to listen to songs uninterrupted), so don't beat yourself up if you're not keeping up with them. If you want to have a happy FAWM, stop comparing what you're doing to anyone else here. Just create what you can, and revel in it: if you get one song written, you're doing great!

And if you're really struggling to make space for FAWM, nobody is going to think ill of you for taking your foot off the gas. Taking part every February is supposed to be *fun*, okay? We'll be here again next year. And there's always Fifty/Ninety in the summer, remember.

Don't stress: relax. Do what you can. Whatever that is, it's enough.

Have fun with the madness of it all.

• @nateger 1 week

Thank you ❤️

• @dasbinky  1 week

• @wacha  1 week

I always look at it as, no one is paying me to do this and supposed to fun. Even if my intention is to release the music eventually there is no reason to worry about any of that and even the "bad" songs re goor writing exercises.

• @laotranati 1 week

Thanks, I needed this 😀

• @jeustan  1 week

Thank you.

• @scottlake 1 week

FAWM is about the joy of songwriting and experiencing that joy in a welcoming community. Even if you don’t write a single song, you are in the FAWMily regardless by being here. That is what matters.

• @scubed  1 week

We need a ❤️ button for posts like this. Thanks, @headfirstonly!

For all the FAWMers who are juggling work and/or family responsibilities, coping with physical and/or mental issues, and otherwise struggling to get through the Pandemic - please let this be your safe and happy space. And if what would make you safe and happy right now is letting go of FAWM, then please do that. FAWM is first and foremost a community. Your fellow FAWMers want you to be kind to yourself.

• @ustaknow 1 week

Yes, indeed; and in particular, don't pee in someone else's cornflakes looking for something to relieve stress with. That's not what FAWM is for.

We have no idea what's going on, the other side of our PC screens.

One can't have trouble, if don't go looking for trouble 😉. If one decides to come back (FAWM), - sometimes, it is forgotten in the feel-good moment that, you may have to live with them for, hmmm, years.
    - Good thing it all gets erased 😀 aye!

• @mikeskliar  1 week

Great thread, and yes.....don't stress about number of songs, quality of songs etc! Think of each thing you create as a positive, a 'more then i would have before' rather then 'oh i didn't get to x number'! Best to everyone in this not-easy-for-many-of us time!

• @tawalker 1 week

Thanks for this PSA 🙏 I’ve been finding it tough to keep up the pace this FAWM - I’m currently about a day behind “schedule” (!), but that’s only down to me making a real effort to post something - and sometimes anything - as a “song”.

That said: I feel my standard this year has been higher than my personal “FAWM average”. I only have one or two songs so far that I’m not keen on, and I’d count a few others as being among the best I’ve written in the last couple of years.

I do apologise that my commenting has been so sporadic this time around, and I think I’ll have to make up for it during March!

• @wylddandelyon 1 week

Also, songwriting is emotional. It can help to let out the emotions, but it can also be draining.

And songwriting is a learned skill--and one that people don't learn in one day or even one FAWM.

Writing a lot of songs in a row is even more of a learned skill. I had to learn to trust that I wouldn't lose the tunes to my lyrics because I had a demo recorded, that I wouldn't accidentally erase a song stored on the computer the way I have sometimes done on my cellphone, so I could go back and listen to what I did before I could (slowly) let go of the need to have a song firmly memorized before moving on to the next one. That may not be an issue for you, but it's a thing I learned to do because of FAWM, and is offered as an example. Use FAWM for whatever you need it for, and enjoy it as much as possible. It only comes once a year, but you can use those skills whenever you want, once you've gained them.

• @fearlessflight2014  1 week

What is a PSA?

• @themelgoexperience  1 week

@headfirstonly thanks so much for this post! I am/was feeling stressed about the deadline of doing 5 more songs by the 28th. This helped give me a grounding check. Cheers!

• @phoenixash 1 week

Thanks, was feeling rather down this year for not keeping up with my usual output

• @headfirstonly  1 week

@fearlessflight2014 Public Service Announcement

• @vomvorton  1 week

@fearlessflight2014 Public Service Announcement 🙂

Thanks for this @headfirstonly. I have been trying to go easy on myself during FAWM because everything else in the world is so constantly stressful at the moment, but it's always welcome to have a reminder.

• @sirius 1 week

Mhw @headfirstonly. Meow mmrr hhmrhr, mhhw hhhw heow mrr. Mhhr ehhw mehw mhwhew, meoow mahh mrr.

• @headfirstonly  1 week

What @sirius said. Couldn't have put it better.

• @quork  1 week

@headfirstonly Amen. This is my fifth year and I’ve never hit 14 songs, but each year I come up with at least two songs that wouldn’t exist without FAWM, that I think are keepers. It’s all good.

• @glasscrow 1 week

I don't even have a job and I'm not going to make 14 songs lol...I thought for sure I would. Being a mom is very time consuming! On the other hand, I guess FAWM has taught me more about my habits and where I put my time!

• @sheamiejay  1 week

Comparison is the thief of joy.

• @caseewilson  1 week

Thank you very much for this. I've been struggling with it all with being in a new country, new job, new language, and DURING A PANDEMIC. I think that's a big thing to remember. You aren't just writing new songs, you are doing it during a pandemic. Every song is a victory. Every minute spent writing is a victory. Every moment you are still breathing and alive is a victory. We've all already won. xxx

• @chroes  1 week

Thank you for this post and especially for acknowledging the difference in circumstances (and therefore privilege). I may have needed that.

• @cblack 1 week

I'll admit, I was always self-conscious in past FAWMs. So many talented people here, and I objectively sucked. Sucked at singing, sucked at guitar, sucked at keys, sucked at recording.

But what @wylddandelyon said is true. These are learned skills that don't come overnight. Since my first FAWM about 10 years ago, I've come a VERY long way! I can now play drums and guitars adequately with occasional moments of greatness, keys quite well, learned to sing to the point that it's now my main instrument, learnt to use a DAW, learned to make electronica a little.

This FAWM has been all about learning to record actual songs, rather than learning how to play.

But it took 10 years to get this far, and I still have a ways to go before I can make "professional" songs. 10 years.

So if you're feeling like you aren't good enough, that's fine. I haven't been chased off this site yet, and I can almost guarantee you have more skill than I did in that first FAWM. 😀

• @yam655  1 week

My big struggle is usually to get all my lyrics transcribed for my songs. Doing that, _and_ adding instrumentation to them is a lot of work.

I got behind my personal goal for the year. The weather messed me up, changed childcare plans, etc. I could've still written songs, but I didn't fight it.

So I've changed tactics. I'm just writing lyrics until I'm caught up.

Adapting to the circumstances is what keeps a lot of us going some years. Sometimes that means lowering your expectations, or even realizing you don't have the resources this year but you'll be here again.

You can win FAWM with just lyrics, though. It doesn't matter what you end up doing with them, lyrics that you love will inspire your return as well as thoughts of how to experiment with your process next year.

"A demo for every song" is the norm for some folks, but an annual struggle for others.

• @sph  1 week

Thank you. I know it, but it's good to read it as well.

• @tawny249  1 week

Another thank you here. I was doing great and then I suddenly hit a wall and the joy was gone. I think it's mostly isolation stress. I will try to be happy with what I managed thus far, and if I get anything else this FAWM it's just bonus. <3

• @willow1 1 week

Thank you for the PSA! I found the multiple skirmishes were taking their toll on me energy-wise this weekend, but I’m now glad I did the ones I did. It sure is fun to just hit record and see what happens, even if my little kids are super noisy right beside me 85% of the time. I like the nothing to lose looseness in creativity that FAWM tends to instill in it’s participants.

• @wylddandelyon 1 week

My first year, I did no demos. It wasn't until the second or third year that I started learning to do that, and I'm still recording acoustic-one-take. It might not be the first take, mind you, but it's essentially a live performance. Last year I did a lot of lyrics-only songs, and regretted it later, so this year I'm trying to push to demo everything, or at least everything I think I'll want to sing in the future.

Also, last year was the first time I "won". (I always figured if I got even one song I really liked that I wouldn't have otherwise written, doing FAWM was a win for me.)

So my goals each year change, as I learn things. What's next year? Maybe learning to do more than one track? I'm not sure, but I don't need to decide that now.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...