Is anyone else writing #MeToo songs? Share them.

Skip to the bottom

• @leslie  Feb 17

I've run discussions at cons about songwriting as a means of channelling trauma and how therapeutic it can be. I'm not a trauma counsellor, but I am a survivor, and I write about my experiences and share my stories from the stage.

My 7th song is a #MeToo song and I wondered if there were more of us out there writing these kinds of songs. Please share any of your FAWM 2021 Me Too songs here if you feel comfortable. I would really love to hear them.

Blind Spots https://fawm.org/songs/118801/

• @tunecat  Feb 17

Interesting. Half my songs this year seem to be about the death, or grieving for my Dad (who passed away in November) one is about Herstory (skirmish title) and taps into a bit of that metoo vibe in the realisation of the sense of powerlessness.. I'm gonna check your song out and come back perhpas..

• @ustaknow Feb 17

😀 okay, thanks for clarifying!

• @ustaknow Feb 17

Oh, so #MeToo only, or - "channelling trauma and how therapeutic it can be"?

- I'm glad to " 😀 " my post, if misunderstood, just let me know. It's not a problem at all, if focused versus in general.

- 😀 okay, thanks for clarifying!

• @trolls2 Feb 18

@leslie are you asking us to share #metoo songs written outside of FAWM or just during 2021? I was working on a musical monologue on keyboard before the pandemic addressing 'Time's Up" and have performed 2 one woman shows with music that address survivor issues. Anyhoo...this song I wrote this week in FAWM and there is definitely to me a 'survivor' theme in it https://fawm.org/songs/118407

• @nancyrost  Feb 18

Thank you for starting this thread, @leslie . I've written about this in fiction, but not songs, so far. Will be listening and consider doing my own when I'm able.
    I think we keep this specifically to the original intent of the metoo, which is specifically against sexual abuse and harassment of women.

• @leslie  Feb 18

@tunecat My mom passed away in October. I feel that, too. My first FAWM song was for her this year.

@ustaknow I was thinking FAWM 2021, yes, and Me Too themes specifically. I will listen to yours. Thanks for sharing.

@trolls2 I was thinking of FAWM 2021. Thank you for sharing yours. I love that you are finding ways to focus on these issues in your art. I wrote a Time's Up song (aimed at Joss Whedon) last week, too, called Hell You Create. What kind of one woman shows were you performing? Musical?

@nancyrost You're welcome. I would love to hear any Me Too song you create, when and if you choose to create it. I agree; I was thinking of Me Too songs specifically when I started this thread.

• @trolls2 Feb 18

@leslie My one woman shows were a combination of music and dialogue/monologues and another was poetry and song called "The Herstory of her body" the show i was working on before the pandemic is a more nuanced look at METOO through the lens of a survivor with a focus on male/female power dynamics. Ironically enough Joss Whedon is my cousin!! I'm curious have you worked with/met Joss? My singer songwriter name is actually "Tenney Whedon Walsh' it's a small world.

• @leslie  Feb 18

I've always been afraid to count myself among the brave people who have said "me too." I have a history of looking at what has happened to me and comparing it to what has happened to others and thinking, "my trauma isn't as big a deal. Other folks have much more of a right to the support they will or may receive than I do, and rightfully so. I can handle what has happened to me by myself. I don't need help. I don't deserve help."

This isn't true. Rationally, I know it's not, but I've believed it for a long time. I've mostly looked at the individual harms done to me in isolation until recently, and always found a way to bury or explain away each one. But as I've had the courage to step back and look at them all together, patterns emerge. Things I let happen. Things I told myself I didn't care that happened. Things I didn't stop happening because I told myself, it'll be over soon anyway. Things I can't remember.

All this, and I still feel like a pretender. I don't want to feel that way anymore. I hope if anyone reading this has felt the same way about themselves, that they know there's no right way to take this journey. No guidebook. But I am so grateful there is community.

https://metoomvmt.org/

• @leslie  Feb 18

@trolls2 Joss Whedon is your cousin? Really? Wow. Definitely a small world. Depending on how you feel about him, you may or may not like the song I wrote. No, I've never met him. I am believing the stories that are surfacing about him, and I've been uncomfortable with his work for a long time. He's not the only one, but he was the one at the top of my list last week.

Did you find performing your shows cathartic or healing or empowering? I don't share my whole story when I'm on stage, but I share a lot of it in my songs, and the stories I tell between songs are places where I can share more. My shows are half story, half song, and I've used folklore, myth, and female archetypes to help me say more than I otherwise was ready to say for many years now.

• @trolls2 Feb 18

@leslie i'll leave a note on your song inspired by Joss seperately! You know he's my cousin so I love him of course. I don't want to say too much about the stories circulating as he is a public figure but I will speak form my own experience as a professional actor who worked as a young woman with alot of famous actors-i would never rely on a printed article as a true source of information or the whole story. When someone has achieved the kind of Cult worship Status Joss has (or J.K Rawling for that matter) I think it's natural for fans to want to tear them down much like an idol. I relate alot to the style of your shows-i definitely have a 'persona' I sing from and it's not really all 'me'. So glad you are exploring and sharing that world. I have found it empowering for sure-especially when folks can relate my experience to their life.

• @leslie  Feb 18

@trolls2 thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'd like to refocus the thread back to me too. songs.

• @vivalarayna Feb 26

@leslie - I had a title that I knew was going to go this direction. Finally had the chance to write it out and record the hastiest of a-crap-ella demos yesterday. It's kind of a Time's Up/me too theme. I wanted the listener to interpret it with their own meaning, although I have my own very specific experiences in mind when I wrote it.

"Blame the Abused" https://fawm.org/songs/122854/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...