Uploading to FAWM hosting?

Skip to the bottom

• @frozenlonesome  Feb 2

Just made my donation which includes hosting. I’ve read through the help/faq and can’t figure out where to upload my files to the FAWM hosting service. Advice would be appreciated.

• @alyxanderjames  Feb 2

You'll get an email soon if you haven't already that includes all the details!

• @frozenlonesome  Feb 2

Thanks @alyxanderjames !

• @kathym  Feb 2

It might take a day or so, but just keep moving in your own space and ou can catch up with posting once you've got things squared away. I'm looking forward to hearing your songs.

• @frozenlonesome  Feb 2

Thanks @kathym

• @gmcgath  Feb 2

@alyxanderjames Ah, that explains it. I signed up with a spamtrap email account, so I had to dig to find the message with the hosting info.

I have to wonder why only the antiquated MP3 format is allowed, though. I understand not allowing WAV, since it's a storage hog, but formats such as Ogg Vorbis work as well as or better than MP3 and are widely supported.

• @shintai  Feb 2

hahaha, I had the same Issue. I was about to upload my first song and made the donation an hour ago. Then I have to be a little bit patient πŸ˜€

• @downburst  Feb 2

@gmcgath MP3s, for all their faults (which are pretty minor IMO) are universally playable. If you're using iTunes, you cant play flac or (I think) ogg files without converting them first or installing a codec, which many people won't know how to do. If you want as many people as possible to hear your music, go with MP3.

• @roddy  Feb 2

I have used the FAWM file hosting service for years. In my view it is excellent. Always works and allows you to give something back to the people who run FAWM. Just today I had a technical problem that was entirely my fault and the FAMW people responded to my email in under 10 minutes and fixed the problem instantly. πŸ˜€

• @burrsettles  Feb 2

@gmcgath everything about FAWM is a little antiquated. πŸ˜€ although you're the first, i think, to suggest other more modern audio formats.

the core of the website was written by me in a 2-week coding sprint just before FAWM 2009, with a few facelifts and life support upgrades since then. it is my dream to someday be able to really dive in an make a decade's worth of improvements β€” including automating the rock-hands and file hosting, which is admittedly a slightly clunky manual affair. but so far time/$$/life just hasn't allowed. although to some people, i think the antiquated clunk is part of its charm??

• @yam655  Feb 2

@gmcgath Something else you might not be aware of is that the big group pushing for "don't use MP3 anymore" is the company who used to own the MP3 patents, but they expired. The number one reason folks talk about it like it is an obsolete format is that it is no longer patent encumbered.

Admittedly, that isn't the group saying, "use Ogg Vorbis instead," but "broad device compatibility" being what it is, dropping MP3 may mean using a different Fraunhofer codec.

Also see: https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_audio.asp -- they only mention the three popular audio codecs, but some browsers support others (such as FLAC). According to that page, neither Edge nor Safari supports Ogg Vorbis. (Edge doesn't even support WAV.)

• @gmcgath  Feb 2

@yam655 There are a few other problems with MP3. It's a stream format without a container (a couple of metadata extensions have been adopted to make up for this); other formats have better quality for equivalent compression; and while it isn't patent encumbered anymore, it's still not an open format. I don't know whether the erstwhile MP3 consortium is pushing for not using MP3; at the time the patents expired, news stories from several sources claimed they had declared MP3 obsolete but never gave a quotation.

It's not a huge deal. It's just that (as you may have guessed by now) I'm a file format geek and wonder occasionally why anyone still uses MP3. And don't get me started on JPEG... πŸ˜€

• @spikedirection  Feb 2

I'm still sad about flash player getting killed off.

• @jendistad  Feb 2

@gmcgath, if you check with @ericdistad, there might be some other formats (besides mp3) that work with File Hosting.

• @airbagtester  Feb 3

@burrsettles @jendistad I personally look forward every year to the "Here are your rock hands" emails that are sent from an actual person πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ But yeah, I know what you mean.

• @tunecat  Feb 7

CAn someone advise me how to upload onto the FAWM site.. I've tried to figure it out and searched in the forums several times now. I've read and reread all emails. and tried a link that won't work. I've got my rock hands and rearing to go..

• @cathymc  Feb 9

So, followed all the directions and advice and first song loaded through FAWM mp3 hosting just fine. Uploaded second song exactly the same way - except for the title of course - and it won't play. And when I click the "download mp3" button it says there's a URL error and the site doesn't exist. (Yes, my song really is on the hosting platform in my account). Huh?

• @ericdistad  Feb 9

@cathymc - OK this is really odd. The only difference I can see between the file in your hosting account and the Demo field on your song page is that the word "Of" in your song's title is lowercase O on the filename but was entered uppercase in the Demo field? That is enough to cause an issue with the player, unfortunately.

If you change one or the other and it still doesn't work, chime back in here or send an email to donate at fawm dot org and we can straighten it out together.

• @cathymc  Feb 9

@ericdistad OH geez...I must be REALLY tired...that fixed it [shakes head at self] Thanks for catching that!

• @harperjen  Mar 1

It would be great for those of us who don't regularly do a lot of file uploads, if the email with instructions said things like "After you log in, go to the Browse tab and click 'Upload file'". Because tonight it literally did not occur to me that I needed to "browse" anything (after all, the file wasn't up there to "browse" for!), and I lost an hour being frantic that I wouldn't figure this out before FAWM was over.

• @nancyrost  Mar 1

@harperjen, you still have until 7 a.m. on Monday to post your song. And you can post a placeholder if you need to go to bed. And look at the bottom of your folder for where it says [upload file]. It's kind of small.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...