? about when we post songs

Skip to the bottom

• @apolez3 Jan 31

When we post songs where do we use the hashtags # for certain challenges and can you use more than one hashtag in a song? And anything else that would be useful around this, thanks.. from a newbie FAWMer! & now know called a FAWNling.

• @wacha  Jan 31

Welcome to FAWM @apolez3 ! Yes, you can use more than one hashtags.

Make sure you keep them all one word.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask me. I'll help any way I can.

Also of note, if someone comments on your song and you want to reply be sure to go to their page to do so. I didn't learn that until my second year.

• @tseaver  Jan 31

@apolez3 Also, there are some "official weekly challenges" which have special fields (a drop-down, if I recall correctly) in the song posting form, rather than hashtags. There are also fields for marking a song as a "favorite," "feast" (one of a bunch of songs written as a batch) and "NSFW" (not-safe-for-work, i.e. explicit / profane). When using hashtags, you can join multi-word items with hyphens, e.g. #guy-with-guitar, #girl-with-piano, #needs-lyrics, etc.

• @cblack Jan 31

Also, I recall there's a link somewhere for how to properly post a demo, whether using FAWM file hosting, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, etc. Don't know where that page is...

Can someone provide a link?

• @cblack Jan 31

Thanks, @tseaver !

• @metalfoot  Jan 31

Also, and this is counter-intuitive at first... DON'T USE # when posting hashtags in the song itself, but DO use # here in the forums to click through to lists of songs.

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@tseaver Thanks.. I'll go check that out. the drop down list. and actually that was my next question @wacha um is it okay to use profanity?
    @cblack thanks for the information... @ tseaver for answering. And @metalfoot okay now i"m really confuzed .. they saw to tag with a certain word or phrase, so what do you do? where? huh? I assumed #likethis after the song or a certain spot for tagging or ? hmm.

• @metalfoot  Feb 1

There's a field for tags in the song submission form, @apolez3 . It'll make sense when you see it!

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@metalfoot okay hehe, thanks πŸ˜€~

• @apolez3 Feb 1

I have another question if anyone knows @metalfoot , @cblack , @wacha so, with due to collaborative works, do you just post the song lyrics if you did that part and the other post the sounds or how does that work exactly.. and if more than 2 if that's a thing? Just want to clear it up for me..

• @wacha  Feb 1

@apolez3 yes, you can use profanity. There will be a a box you can check that either says "NSFW" or "Not Safe for Work".

It's up to you and the person you collaborate with. Generally I do that through email but a lot of lyricist post their lyrics. I work with them and then just post my song and add them as a collaborator. You need to have someone on your watch list to tag them as a collaborator.

Make sure if you are looking to put music to someone else's lyrics that you post on their song and ask them if you can work on it. Just to make sure no one else is already working on it.

• @cblack Feb 1

Yep, there's a spot for collaborators on the submission form. As many as you'd like, I think...

Generally, only 1 person will post the song, but when you add someone as collaborator it shows up on their page too.

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@cblack thanks yeah just reading up on some information on that...

Posting

Discuss with your collaborator(s) about who will post. If you’re adding music to a #lyrics-needed post, discuss whether you’ll add the demo to the existing post or will create a new song post. The FAWM website will only support two collaborators on a song post. If there are more, you will need to create a duplicate song post as a workaround.

• @kovbleu  Feb 1

Welcome @apolez3! Once the site is "unlocked" to start adding songs it will make more sense. But definitely shoot any questions you have out in the forums. Everyone here is super friendly and happy to help! Have a wonderful FAWM - I hope you love the experience. It's a special place. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Feb 1

Yes, @apolez3 please keep asking questions! It's how you learn how things work around here πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Feb 1

@cblack 50/90 has multiple collaborators, sadly FAWM still only has 1 slot. So for 3-way collabs you kinda choose who gets the 2 credits. The poster and 1 of the others.

• @cblack Feb 1

Ahhhh...

• @tseaver  Feb 1

@apolez3 Your questions are great, not only for your sake, but because they are probably things bothering other fawmlings -- keep asking!

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@tseaver thanks ... I just might !
    @metalfoot yeppers..& ty for the help & ty all
    @kovbleu yes probably hehe, ty πŸ˜€ I'm really inspired already for greatness.. hope I can hold to it! 😝

• @apolez3 Feb 1

So, I was debating to make a new thread or keep it here, It does have to do about posting but with the: Skirmish songwriting challenge/game.
    My question is.. well for this and regular songs as well, When he explains @plainwhitetoast says write and record. Is it possible just to do the writing part? or do you have to sing it? I mean I can attempt but.. lolz.. @tseaver @wacha @metalfoot

• @cblack Feb 1

You can do as much or as little as you like. Plenty of people do lyrics without recording. Sometimes someone will offer to add sound. But if it remains text-only, unfortunately you're likely to get fewer comments.

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@cblack okay thanks. πŸ˜€

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@cblack I have another ?, ship hmmm oh when you post is there a way to say like rough draft or needs editing still or final ??

• @cblack Feb 1

You can tag things like #needs-music or #unfinished and people will understand. Or else you can mention it in the liner notes. Basically, there are 2 text fields when you post a track. 1 is for lyrics, and the other is for any comments or explanations or background info that you want to add, called "Liner Notes". You can explain the situation there if the tags don't seem like enough. πŸ˜€

• @wacha  Feb 1

@apolez3 for a skirmish, lots of people post either lyrics or music or the music with the lyrics written and don't record the vocals. You can just make a note that collaborations are welcome. You can even use the #collaborationwelcome when you post the song.

There are really no hard set rules. I look at it as it's supposed to be fun so keep it as fun as possible.

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@wacha thanks for the info on skirmish.. @cblack thanks xoxo
    I have a new questions. so I posted one "song" and used feast because i was going to write another.. I posted the second song.. do I put it with feast or no?
    like if i was to post another i should and if no more don't or idk hmm

• @ericdistad  Feb 1

@apolez3 The Feast tag is for songs that you write quickly that you want treated differently from other songs. It originated from people doing a large group of songs in quick succession and wanting a way to separate them from their other songs and set expectations - I.E. "these songs are quick one offs or improvs so comment accordingly"

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@ericdistad oh I thought that meant i'm going to do another song really quickly or something thank you.

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@ericdistad what is considered quickly lol

• @ericdistad  Feb 1

@apolez3 - lol - that is up to you!

I've seen people complete 14 songs in a few hours and not mark any of them Feast. The tag is all about setting expectations for other Fawmers, just like the Favorite tag as well.

During the first part of the month there's generally more eyes and ears available to check out songs, but as the month goes on and the sheer number of songs to listen to climbs, it can be helpful to have a way to help people sort out which of your songs to check out more thoroughly.

• @apolez3 Feb 1

@ericdistad gotcha! Thank You Again!!

• @apolez3 Feb 5

@cblack or anyone I have a stupid ? ,,, when does week 1 end and week 2 begin?

• @cblack Feb 5

7 days per week, @apolez3 . Week 1 ends on the 7th, week 2 starts on the 8th.

πŸ˜€

• @apolez3 Feb 5

Okay thanks @cblack lol

• @apolez3 Feb 5

@cblack or anyone,, what does a locked song mean?

• @apolez3 Feb 5

like does that mean no one can ssee it i assume? just trying to clarify fully

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 5

@apolez3 people can see the song there, just can't click on it to read/listen until you unlock it

• @apolez3 Feb 5

oh okay thanks @dzdandcunfsd

• @apolez3 Feb 5

fyi apparently when you lock it or the other collaborator locks it.. only the original poster can view a locked lyric/song

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...