The Month-Long Song Challenge

Skip to the bottom

• @cairobraga  Jan 30

I was thinking how annoying it was that right on this FAWM of all FAWMs, the one with so much trapped inside that needs to come out, I'm just starting a new job with a crazy 2/2 shift schedule and I won't be able to dedicate as much time to it as I wanted to. (let me make it very clear that I am VERY happy to have gotten this job). so I decided to commit to write some little amount of lyrics everyday just to keep the juices flowing and the roads of creativity open. and then I thought: what if I write 3 or 4 or 5 lines on the first day and on the next one I do the same in continuation of the first one, and so on and so forth?

BUT WAIT! (I also thought), there's a challenge here!

let me break down the proposition:
    - write a stanza of 3/4/5 lines everyday;
    - they must "continue" into one another to constitute a very long song with at least 28 stanzas;
    - you have to post it on the last day of FAWM and tag it #monthlong.

things to consider:
    - this is proposed as a lyrics challenge, but these rules can also be applied to instrumental composition (write 8 to 16 bars per day) and production/recording (make 8 to 16 bars or 10 to 20 seconds per day), so everyone is welcome to participate in any medium;
    - this can also be adapted to fit a collab dynamic and I'm excited to see what y'all would come up with in that sense;
    - the challenge is to write EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. OF. FAWM! but there's nothing wrong if you end up losing some of them, don't feel discouraged, keep doing it because the results will be interesting nonetheless.

if y'all have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

• @sunnymae  Jan 30

I like the concept. Necessity is truly the mother of invention. Great idea. Go for it. You may have company!

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 30

@cairobraga congrats on the job!

I might give this a whirl. If nothing else I've already musically been doing this through January. I had planned on splicing together snippets of all my favorites of my Jamuary stuffs into one long concoction of sorts. It might take another month to do that 😁

• @loveonamixtape  Jan 30

I'm into this -- I can't always do much every day of February for FAWM, but a little bit everyday sounds fun!

• @cblack Feb 1

As a slight variation, I'll set myself the goal to start a song today and NOT finish it. Instead, I'll come back to it whenever I'm bored and have no inspiration, and polish the crap out of it until the 28th.

Let's see how great a song I can come up with!

Thanks for the inspiration @cairobraga !

Not necessarily continuing on at every step. Probably more like a 4-minute song that I keep tweaking, rather than a 10-minute epic. Kind of quality vs. quantity...

• @lastnightilie Feb 28

Has anybody actually completed this challenge? I only decided to do this challenge a week ago (decided to do as many challenges as possible due to lack of motivation) so it's a weeklong song instead, and currently no music to listen to, but here's mine: https://fawm.org/songs/124375/

Did anyone actually do a full month? I'd be very curious to hear it!

• @cblack Feb 28

@lastnightilie Nope, I didn't. I worked on mine for 2 days only...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...