Anything Goes Exquisite Corpse

Skip to the bottom

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 29

For those not familiar with the term, this is a songwriting game based on the old parlour game "Exquisite Corpse" where a piece of paper is folded and each participant draws a part of the picture without seeing the other parts of the picture. The final drawing is revealed typically to much mirth and merriment.

The musical one is a little more coherent and in my opinion, way more fun.

How it works: sign up here and we'll have 4-5 people per corpse. For the this one I will be stitcher and start it off.
    Each person receives the last 10s of the previous section of music and the idea is to build where you think the song was going from where it left off. As each person finishes their 45s-1m long segment, they pass the full section back to the stitcher (*waves hello*) and the last 10s to the person following them in the corpse.

Anything goes indicates the recording quality expected for this particular collab, for all of you who are not maybe studio tinkerers.

1. @dzdandcunfsd (stitcher)
    2. @ballyhoot
    3.@spikedirection
    4.@reklov
    5.@emkaydeebee
    6. @wazylizard

I enjoy these a ton so can do another, do you want to stitch it sph? I will if you don't want to.

1. @dzdandcunfsd
    2. @hornesgiftshop
    3. @bradbrubaker
    4. @fuzzy
    5. @bandybum
    6.@sph (stitcher)

1. @kahlo2013 (stitcher)
    2. @w1n
    3. @pipewrench67
    4. @downburst
    5. @ballyhoot

1. @declan (stitcher)
    2. @dzdandcunfsd
    3. @richardmasters
    4. @loveonamixtape
    5. @nateger

1. @dzdandcunfsd
    2. @emkaydeebee (stitcher)
    3. @ballyhoot
    4. @kahlo2013
    5. @bangstick ???????? ........hello @bangstick are you out there?

• @ballyhoot Jan 29

I’m up for a corpse.

• @spikedirection  Jan 29

I heard "anything goes" and in came running. Sign me up!

• @reklov  Jan 29

I'll give that a try!

• @emkaydeebee  Jan 29

I’ve always liked the idea of this but been too nervous or too caught up in my own plans. So this year it’s time I bit the bullet. I’d like to be in!

• @sph  Jan 29

This is always fun. Please count me in or put me in a new group since 5 participants are already there.

• @hornesgiftshop  Jan 29

Can I join please? Do we get a BPM or is it really anything goes?

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 29

Yes, please.

• @fuzzy  Jan 29

Me please!

• @sph  Jan 29

Fine, I can do the stitching on the second one. Please tell me if someone else wants to begin. @hornesgiftshop I think "anything goes" can be interpreted as "as loose as you want". Since it is easier to start we often exchange the bpm / chords of the former part. But you're absolutely free to change from there as you like.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 29

@sph I can start it, if no one else wants to..... just don't want to commit to stitching two and not come through or I'd do it as well. Unless someone else wants to go first. I'll go wherever.

@hornesgiftshop yeah feel free to disregard any "rules" here 😁 well other than the golden one 😁 You can pass on any chords you played, bpm, whatever.

• @sph  Jan 29

@dzdandcunfsd perfect!

• @kahlo2013 Jan 30

If another one gets going I would be happy to join in!

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 30

@kahlo2013 Why not 😁 I'll jump in another too if it ends up needed more people. You wanna go first and stitch? πŸ˜‰

• @kahlo2013 Jan 30

Will give it my best shot!

• @w1n  Jan 30

I'm up for taking place in a corpse, can stitch if needed.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 30

@kahlo2013 Then that'll work! πŸ˜‰

• @ballyhoot Jan 30

I can jump in on the 3rd one too but put me toward the bottom.

• @pipewrench67  Jan 30

I'll play round 3 if we can gain enough members

• @downburst  Jan 30

Yes please. Can stitch.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 30

Got everyone(I think) to this point.

I'll get those first two out to the next person in line probably by Tuesday or Wednesday (I can crank out the 1min bits, it's "fuller" songs that give me hang-ups) 😁

Does anyone know if while listing collaborators here on the fawm site can only still add one other?

• @wazylizard  Jan 31

I'm up for taking part in it, if another set of people comes together.

• @metalfoot  Jan 31

The standard practice for corpses is to name @corpsecorps as the collab partner to indicate that it is a corpse.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 1

@metalfoot Thanks! I knew there was something tricky about adding more than one collab partner!

• @bandybum Feb 1

Ooo yes count me in please 😊

• @ballyhoot Feb 2

My entry is done for corpse 1 and has been sent to the appropriate people! I think I’m just gonna do corpses this fawm.... too lazy to make full songs.πŸ˜€

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 2

@ballyhoot 😁 I think that's why I like them so much too 1min segments are much easier hahah. I got your full segment and I'll get the second one sent out sometime today.

@bandybum I'll tack you and @waylizard on the end of one of them

• @bandybum Feb 2

@dzdandcunfsd Sweet, dude

• @downburst  Feb 2

Corpses always seem to let me give myself permission to be weird and do things that I wouldn't do in a "song." I've listened to my old corpse segments lately (there were, like, 40, it's crazy), and they're so much more interesting than a lot of my full-length songs! I wish I could turn off whatever it is that makes my normal songs so conservative.

• @ballyhoot Feb 2

@downburst , I’m curious. Do you hear a difference between your corpse segments that kicked off a corpse and the ones that came later in the sequence?

• @declan  Feb 2

I'm interested if there's still room.

• @downburst  Feb 2

@ballyhoot That's interesting! Maybe. The starting off ones were really driven by an idea, I think, and were more about setting things up than just going with whatever I was given. Endings are different too, I always feel like I have to go for a big finish.

I always have trouble in corpses with not making my part too long, for some reason. Some day I'd like to do one where people *didnt* have to stick to a minute and were able to stretch out. Maybe we'd end up with a "Supper's Ready"-esque monster.

• @downburst  Feb 3

I still have a bunch of those old corpses, including several kaijus. I hate to think no one ever listens to them but me. Some of them are incredibly good. We should stash them someplace online where people can hear them.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 3

@downburst well this is an Anything goes 😁 my starter segment for second one clocked in about 1:20 and I didn't really want to stop, but it was probably for the best hahah.

I'd be up for one more if there's more takers!

@declan you get the honor of starting and stitching then it looks like 😁 unless you don't want to.

If I missed anyone or anyone else wants to join just @ me or leave me a soundboard post. Or start another if you want some specific parameters/etc. 😁

• @ballyhoot Feb 3

If the last one needs another person, you can put me there, but if we end up with an orphan, I won’t mind giving up my place.

• @declan  Feb 3

@dzdandcunfsd I'll be happy to start and stich.

• @spikedirection  Feb 4

Apologies for the delay, I've now got my chunk done and sent to the relevant people.

• @reklov  Feb 5

@dzdandcunfsd Is it allowed to post my one-minute-contribution as an own FAWM-song, too?

• @sph  Feb 5

@reklov there's nothing wrong with it. The only one would be that your song now is counted two times and you're a bit nearer to "winning FAWM".
    I surely did post some of my contributions in the past as a separate one. Usually I did wait until after the whole corpse was released. This way the surprise how the collaboration evolves is preserved.
    Sometimes I also reworked my contributions, like adding another instrument, backing vocals or even more verses.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 5

@reklov yeah I'd agree with what @sph said as well. I could be wrong, but I think at fawm since you can only add one collaborator, and others have to be tagged in liner notes that the only the person that posts it will have it add to their total song count? I'd be more than happy to let someone else post the one I'm stitching when done with it. Unless I hit a wall somewhere in the next weeks I'm sure I'll have more than 14, and I've already won in my book by writing a few I wouldn't of been inspired to otherwise.

• @sph  Feb 5

Concerning the number of collaborators, here's a suggestion @metalfoot wrote in another thread:
    The standard practice for corpses is to name @corpsecorps as the collab partner to indicate that it is a corpse.

• @richardmasters  Feb 6

I'm up for this!

• @kahlo2013 Feb 7

[@w1n]
    I put a link on your page with 10 sec for you to add your song to the chain for our EC!

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 8

I'll join in! "Maybe not studio tinkerers" is exactly my demographic! πŸ˜€

• @nateger Feb 8

I'm down for the next group!

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 8

Hi, can I check where we’re up to with the first one pls? @dzdandcunfsd @ballyhoot @spikedirection @reklov (and @wazylizard but you’re after me so I know you’re not done!)

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 8

@emkaydeebee I guess we're up to @reklov I've got the first 3 segments.

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 8

@dzdandcunfsd thanks! 😌

• @w1n  Feb 9

@kahlo2013 I'm on it, will record and send of my part and 10 sec segment it tonight.

• @bradbrubaker  Feb 10

@fuzzy, I have posted a link to your Soundboard.

• @fuzzy  Feb 10

Gah! This snuck up on me!
    I'll get right on it!

• @reklov  Feb 11

In case there'll be some irritation: A Fawmer named "Waylizard" doesn't exist, but there's a @wazylizard here. Maybe this could be corrected? By the way I would like to recommend his daily videos with loopbox improvisations!

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 11

@reklov thanks! I no read and write good! it should be fixed.

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 11

O.M.G., I have loved doing my part for this today. (Just sent it through to your email now @dzdandcunfsd and sent you the 10s worth @wazylizard.)

I am totally hooked! Is there time this month to do another one? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!! πŸ™Œ

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 11

@emkaydeebee sure! you wanna start and stitch it? I'll go second, and can stitch if you don't want to, and we still got @ballyhoot in a reserve, so at least 2 more open spots.

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 11

@dzdandcunfsd I’m happy to stitch, but would rather not start it if that’s okay? I absolutely loved running with what someone else gave me to deal with...

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 11

@emkaydeebee That works for me!

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 11

I wonder if @declan or @kahlo2013 want in again, as they both were starters this year for theirs?...

• @kahlo2013 Feb 11

I would be happy to!

• @kahlo2013 Feb 11

Just let me know what is needed! I would prefer not stitching

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 11

@kahlo2013 you might think otherwise if you'd of just heard the minute and snippet I just sent @emkaydeebee 😁 I ALMOST feel bad about it hahaha, but too late now!

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 11

Ha ha @dzdandcunfsd , but then we both know it won’t be anything like that by the time it gets down to @kahlo2013! (But er yeah, thanks a lot 😳)

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 11

@emkaydeebee πŸ˜‚ anytime! I have faith you'll make something nice out of that noisy mess!

• @bangstick  Feb 11

Any room for a piece of corpse for me?

• @w1n  Feb 12

Sorry I took so long been having equipment failure problems but finally sent my part for EC3 to @kahlo2013 and my last 10sec to @pipewrench67

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 12

@ballyhoot I've just emailed you my 10s from my hotmail account with the subject: FAWM Exquisite Corpse 10seconds. Can you let me know you've got it please?
    Shout if you need any more info from me...

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 12

@emkaydeebee I just threw @ballyhoot in there since was in reserve for the previous one, so we'll see hahahah, might be busy or something, but is a good sport. 😁

• @fuzzy  Feb 12

I've just sent my part off to @sph and the last ten seconds to @bandybum.

• @ballyhoot Feb 12

@emkaydeebee got it!!! Looking forward to working on my bit!!

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 12

@ballyhoot ace!!! πŸ™Œ

• @ballyhoot Feb 13

Done! @emkaydeebee , @kahlo2013 , did y’all get my email?

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 13

Got it @ballyhoot - nice one!

• @pipewrench67  Feb 13

@kahlo2013 Done with my scrap will forward link when I have one.
    @downburst 10 seconds coming your way.

• @downburst  Feb 13

Got it! Will work on it tonight.

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 15

@bangstick - just checking you’ve seen the 10s from @kahlo2013 and are on it? You’re the final piece and I’m itching to stitch it all together! πŸ˜ƒ

@wazylizard how are you getting on with the 10s I sent you? πŸ™‚ You’re the final piece in that corpse too πŸ‘

• @wazylizard  Feb 16

@emkaydeebee I sat down today but didn't manage to get something in a finished state. I should have it ready tomorrow!

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 16

@wazylizard πŸ‘ No super rush I can stitch it up pretty quickly(usually) until I said something now it'll take me a week 🀣🀣

• @downburst  Feb 16

I've been sick for a couple days so my bit of number 3 has been on hold. sorry. I'm better and working on it today.

• @downburst  Feb 16

OK, I sent my end bit to @ballyhoot and uploaded the whole piece. @kahlo2013, you're still stichin'?

• @ballyhoot Feb 17

Central Texas freeze!!! No power. Almost no water. Network spotty. Don’t expect anything from me till this weekend....

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 17

@ballyhoot good luck! we're getting another round of it here too that just started blowing in.

• @kahlo2013 Feb 17

@ballyhoot stay safe and warm! So sorry!

• @wazylizard  Feb 17

@dzdandcunfsd I sent you an email yesterday evening with my contribution (European time), can you confirm that you received it? (I used my work email by mistake...)

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 17

@wazylizard Thanks, I just saw it. I should have it stitched up today sometime.

• @wazylizard  Feb 17

@dzdandcunfsd Excellent, looking forward to hearing the whole piece! Good luck with the stitching

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 17

https://fawm.org/songs/118923/

First one of these done!

• @ballyhoot Feb 17

Woohoo!!!!

• @sph  Feb 19

And here are the results of round 2 by @dzdandcunfsd, @hornesgiftshop, @bradbrubaker, @fuzzy, @bandybum and me:
    https://fawm.org/songs/119844/

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 21

Hi all, so it's been a full week with no reply or acknowledgement from the person originally down to complete this particular corpse, no doubt life has got in the way, so does anyone else fancy it? There's 10 seconds ready and waiting for you from @kahlo2013, and yours will complete the show - it's a prime spot!

1. @dzdandcunfsd DONE
    2. @emkaydeebee (stitcher) DONE
    3. @ballyhoot DONE
    4. @kahlo2013 DONE
    5. DECLAN

EDITED to avoid further confusion.

• @kahlo2013 Feb 21

Hello, I’m tasked with stitching one of the Exquisite Corpse that we are in.
    @downburst you are next and then you pass your 10 sec to @ballyhoot who is last. Please send your MP3s to me via email when they are done as I am working off my iPhone and I will stitch them up! Looking forward to your contributions! My email is epetty2013@icloud.com
    Thanks!

• @kahlo2013 Feb 21

@ballyhoot you should have already gotten the 10 sec from Rod.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 21

@emkaydeebee I'll do it if nobody else jumps in, but will give it a day to let someone else have a chance πŸ˜‰ or happen to hear from @bangstick

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 21

Thanks @dzdandcunfsd - be quite interesting if you do, as you started that one but haven’t heard the in between... but good idea to give it another day. πŸ‘Œ

• @declan  Feb 21

Update on the Corpse I'm stiching together.

1. @declan - done
    2. @dzdandcunfsd - done
    3. @richardmasters - done
    4. @loveonamixtape - Should have received 10 secs from @richardmasters
    5. @nateger - tbc

• @declan  Feb 21

@emkaydeebee I'll be delighted to jump on the remaining gap in yours

• @ballyhoot Feb 21

Yea I got the 10 seconds from @downburst but wasn’t able to do anything with it because if winter strike here, power outage, water cutoff, and other shenanigans. Things getting back to normal though. I worked on my segment yesterday and almost finished but hate my vocals so will pick it back up later today to see if I can fix it

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 21

Yay @declan !! Brilliant! The 10s (ish) is here: https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8o647phfcuep270/CarrotsCele

1. @dzdandcunfsd DONE
    2. @emkaydeebee (stitcher) DONE
    3. @ballyhoot DONE
    4. @kahlo2013 DONE
    5. @declan

Woohoo!

• @declan  Feb 21

On it's way to @emkaydeebee

• @spirulence Feb 21

@emkaydeebee I'm down to complete this one! Thanks for tagging me. Should have something done today.

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 21

Aaaargh @spirulence - @declan has now done it! So sorry! (Foiled again!)

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 21

Can always slap another quick one together πŸ˜‰

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 21

@dzdandcunfsd @ballyhoot @kahlo2013 @declan
    Round 5 is LIVE! I give you Space Pirates on a Diet...
    https://fawm.org/songs/120813/

• @spirulence Feb 22

Doh! Well, here's an alternate universe where I checked the thread sooner..... https://fawm.org/songs/120863/

• @ballyhoot Feb 22

My bit for corpse 3 sent to @kahlo2013 .

• @kahlo2013 Feb 22

@ballyhoot @w1n @downburst @pipewrench67
    Our Exquisite Corpse has risen! I posted it with @ballyhoot as a collaborator since I just picked in alphabetical order. You can download from my post and post on your own site if you would like. I think it sounds great and I loved all of your awesome segments! I hope you are okay with the stitching.

https://fawm.org/songs/120906/

• @ballyhoot Feb 22

Awesome! Great job @kahlo2013 and everyone else !!

• @declan  Feb 23

I dropped a note on @loveonamixtape 's profile just to get an update on how he's getting on.

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 23

Yup, just got it over the weekend, will have my bit done today.

• @declan  Feb 23

Thanks just wanted to make sure it was in hand. Don't feel pressured.

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 23

@declan no worries! πŸ˜€ Just sent full 1min off to you and the last 10sec to @nateger !

• @declan  Feb 23

@loveonamixtape cheers

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 25

Hello hello helloooo! Great news! @bangstick came back to me with a part, and it creates the PERFECT ending to our existing Exquisite Corpse, so I have updated the post to include it! You can hear it here:
    https://fawm.org/songs/120813/
    @dzdandcunfsd @ballyhoot @kahlo2013 @declan

• @declan  Feb 25

@nateger how are you getting on? My weekend is filling up. So from a time management pov an idea of when the piece will arrive would be great.

• @nateger Feb 25

@declan I'll be able to get you the piece by the afternoon EST

• @declan  Feb 25

Cheers

• @nateger Feb 25

@declan And sent!

• @declan  Feb 27

1. @declan (stitcher)
    2. @dzdandcunfsd
    3. @richardmasters
    4. @loveonamixtape
    5. @nateger

Our corpse is up.

https://soundcloud.com/declaniom/bettyscorpse

It's pop, dream-like and ends on a banger.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...