How to Get Better at Forum-ing?

Skip to the bottom

• @ginomakesmusic  Jan 29

Anyone have any tips/tricks/insights about getting better at using the forum? Or are you someone who feels similarly? Whether it's due to awkwardness or anxiety or whathaveyou, I for one get overwhelmed easily by the vast amount of posts and people. And while it can be fun to get lost in it for a while, I find myself struggling to participate in them in meaningful ways. The forum is such a valuable resource and lets people from all over connect in all these communities, and I wanna do better at making myself a part of it. So here's me reaching out: heeeeelp!

• @complexissimple Jan 29

@ginomakesmusic Honestly, you're off to a good start just by making a thread. I have no suggestions better than that.

• @guatecoop  Jan 29

Hehe @ginomakesmusic , I completely understand that feeling. I just go for the topics that I either know about or want to know about. Once you post one, like you just did, you will find people will relate to you, appreciate your input, or answer your questions. We are all here for the same reasons. Best wishes to you!

• @nancyrost  Jan 29

By default, when you click on the forums it displays recent threads. One way that might make it less overwhelming is to pick a category from the discussion menu. Then you can focus on your interests and the kinds of connections you want to make, whether that's sharing songwriting techniques, arranging collaborations, discussing your local/regional scene, etc.

• @ampersandman  Jan 29

I think there is no right or wrong, no good or bad at forum-ing. Not everything that is posted here is meaningful, in fact, a lot isn't. The forums are for fun, and a lot of us spend more time here than is generally considered reasonable. That being said, FAWM in general is such a friendly and supportive environment that you don't need to shy away from expressing what you think. The only rule is 'don't be an a-hole', but that should go without saying. On threads like for example 'I remember my first FAWM' you certainly got a story to share like everyone else here. To engage more with the community you could try engaging in songwriting challenges and collaborations, if that suits your way of working. But the 'good' comes down to your own liking, not to peer pressure.

• @ginomakesmusic  Jan 29

@complexissimple Thank you, it took a lot of deliberation to figure out how I wanted to say stuff.

@guatecoop Thanks for the empathy. I'll try browsing the forums for relevant things! Best wishes to you as well!

@nancyrost This reminds me of the whole analysis paralysis concept, wherein it's tough to "just pick", but I'll take your advice bc it's a good way to counteract that!

@ampersandman Thanks for the reminder that there is no good or bad forum-ing. I'll try to remember to take it easy on myself and just enjoy the whole process.

• @airbagtester  Jan 29

First things first - start participating in the Most Important FAWM Threads:

0. (added as per @timfatchen's reminder)
    FAWMku is a thread
    More challenging than band names
    Lyrical bench press
    1. A is for ABBA
    2. Fake band A is for ABBA
    3. Mornington Crescent (I don't know how it is played but I suspect nobody else does either)

Seriously though, this thread you started is already a good example of good Forum-ing 😀

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 29

+1 to @airbagtester 's advice: Any sort of forum game or 'introduce yourself' thread is a pretty safe space to contribute without causing offense.

Worst that can happen is you get gently roasted for screwing up the alphabet, but you would be upholding a tradition only minutes less old than the A for Abba threads themselves.

• @andygetch  Jan 29

@ginomakesmusic just wanted to say this will be my 10th FAWM and somewhere around now (a few days before February and songwriting starts) I also get overwhelmed by the enormity and frequency of the forum posts. As @nancyrost suggested I learned in year one and still stick to the categories I am most interested in with a focus on songwriting, balanced with listening and commenting on others songs.

• @icedmochakitten Jan 29

I feel awkward about the forums, too. It tends to feel like I've walked into a room of strangers uninvited, and started shouting my opinion at them 😁

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 29

@icedmochakitten Probably the only place on the internet where that's usually actually welcomed though 😁

• @candle  Jan 29

As was suggested above: pick topics that interest you; participate in the forums games (make sure you use the '77 Jubilee ruleset for Morngton Crescent, or at least that's what we're doing this year - but look, there really are no rules except to make it look like there's rules & strategy involved. It's all a gag, really. Just make sure you pick London Underground Station Names - that's the only real part of the game). Otherwise, my only other advice is to be yourself, be respectful & have fun.

See You In The Shadows…

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

I have long held that there is only one thread which must be pursued to the exclusion of all else--and was in the past--and that is FAWMku. But alas, the Fake Band A is for Abba people have run off with the leader board and the puns, of which the world only has a limited supply..

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 29

Puns are finite? I beg to differ, sir. Language is ever evolving and there's a new bit of wordplay to be found for each new and challenging life experience.

What I'm saying is: When I find myself in times of trouble, puns are a renewable recourse.

• @elainedimasi  Jan 29

@ginomakesmusic , your question reminds me of something young professionals wonder about the workplace. Somewhere along the line we learn that we're supposed to "network". We go to the networking breakfast or whatever, and we wonder what we're supposed to do.

I was over 50 by the time I encountered any decent answer to this. "Show up, and be curious about other people." This, it seems, is what makes us memorable, and being remembered is one of the points of workplace networking. Maybe we'll get the gig or the callback.

I hope FAWM is a relaxing relief from that! Where we can just wander around all these conversations and explore!

But if anyone on here is looking to market their music, riffling through the "LinkedIn" world-of-wisdom about networking is probably not a waste of time in my opinion.

Enjoy FAWM!

• @ianuarius  Jan 29

@ginomakesmusic to me it's similar to self confidence. People think I'm self confident, but really, I just started to take it one day. And because nobody stopped me, I kept doing it.

So, just start writing crap. Start slow. Realize that nobody cares. Most of the threads are just listing stuff anyway and nobody replies to anything annoying else says.

Express yourself with boldness.

• @kiffa Jan 29

@ginomakesmusic You're doing great! The main advice I'd give you is to remember that we're all here for the same reason. Most, in fact probably all, of my interactions with other FAWMers have been positive, because that's just the general vibe here. People are excited about making music and about sharing their tips, tricks and knowledge with others. I struggle to some extent with social anxiety as well, but I hope that like me, you'll find that once you've made a few posts, that just kind of melts away here.

Good luck!

• @oddbod  Jan 29

Just immerse yourself slowly.
    At first it's like walking into a party where you don't know anyone.
    Pick a topic you're comfortable discussing and make a contribution.
    Perhaps reply or add to someone else's comment and tag that person's name so they can see you've reacted to their comment for example...

@timfatchen it would make for a very boring forum if that were the case

• @tabitha Jan 29

I am glad to hear others feel this way. I am gradually trying to find my way to contribute to conversations. Even though from reading through the forums I can see it is one of the loveliest places, I still fear I will find a way to mess it up!

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

@oddbod For the last 3 or so decades, my wife has suggested that a quieter, boring life might be appreciated. I try to please her, and fail each time, as I have here! 😁 @ginomakesmusic down to @tabitha , don't fear you'll mess anything up. I was absolutely terrified I'd mess up during my first FAWM (and that's a good thread to read, too) and look where I am now! umm..no, wait... 😁

• @audrey  Jan 29

@icedmochakitten Of course you're invited! We're ALL invited and welcome, and it's always nice to hear a new voice, so comment away. No one's judging. This site is unlike the vast majority of online sites. I think we all want to help each other in here. At least, that's how I feel about FAWM. Maybe I've been deceiving myself for 5 years, but I don't think so. 😀

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

What @audrey said. But also: don't be afraid to comment on songs. Even if it's just to say "I like the second verse" or some such. (If there's nothing to say or the music isn't to your taste, no need to say anything). Keep in mind this is not a judgmental but an encouraging place, we want to get the creative juices rolling. Just get them rolling. Cleanup and selecting keepers can come later; for FAWM, "don't get it right, just get it written"! (in a GOOD sense!)

• @chipwithrow  Jan 29

This is my 14th (FAWM) and often I still feel like a stranger (obscure Grateful Dead reference) in the forums. And I too get overwhelmed by the vast array of topics and numbers of posts.
    I try to read every post that came before mine, so I sometimes avoid threads that already have a lot of posts. (I almost skipped this one.)
    I would say I'm a semi-regular forum poster, but I've still made lots and lots of FAWM friends over the years. And once the songs start rolling in, I spend more time listening and commenting that forum-posting.
    Even when it comes to commenting on songs, I'm only semi-prolific compared to others.

• @airbagtester  Jan 29

@timfatchen I can't believe I forgot to put FAWMku at #1 on the list! That is usually one of the first forum threads of the season IIRC...

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

@airbagtester but you've made handsome amends for your unbelievable lapse, so that's all right. Now I can go to bed free of angst. (Until tomorrow...)

• @metalfoot  Jan 29

You've succeeded at Forum-ing by creating this useful and interesting topic for us to discuss!

• @ustaknow Jan 29

*ginomakesmusic I see you're ID is from 2016, 6 yrs now.

Aside from all the great comment above, which is about "it" for advice/comment; the elements, which I comment are, - it's not different here than IRL, - you have to be some place, anyplace for (me) about 2 yrs, (new neighborhood, new job, new friends... etc.); then, regardless of what you may be advised, you see what you SeA 😀

- I've found, e.g., like in a new job, (ever have one?), some of the "office folks" who pounce on you (day one), so so friendly and gushing... versus the ones that remain in their office/cube (not so friendly ?), may "reverse" in about 6 mos to 2 yrs 😀 hahh. The persons locked away working will ACTUALLY help you allot if asked, and yet, so so busy, don't jump at the next "new person" to do so. And therefore, my point, the - vise versa, - as life goes, it seems 😀

To complicate it, or make it better, is, - it's new every year. People change, and People change. I love the "fresh start" every year, the "gentry" get their roots ripped up and have to replant every year 😀 unlike other "on-line" communities, - useless after 6 mo's ? 😀 (well, everyone's got an oh-pin-yun I am sure).

I think, me, what folks need to key in on is how they (self) react to stuff, badly, goodly. (I see folks wish, knowing they'd have to "live with these people", not do what they did; and so, the annual wipe, - a very good thing 😀 Fresh starts, indeed - well, if *want too.)

- You'll have expectations, yet disappointed? (start a new thread 😀 )
    - You'll have great surprises, "wow, loved that thing you did in that track" (you were concerned with that krapped it up, - not)

If you, like "IRL" look there, you'll find your niche and may be re-occurring beyond the annual "wiped clean" change here and 5090.

I believe from every comment you may glean that persons philosophy of it all, and from that proceed in new directions, or familiar ones.

- Well, I don't think to much about it, but, my experience.

• @davidbreslin101  Jan 29

I've learned that it's possible for me to overdo it here and get burned out... I need the odd day away before I dive back into the party. Plus, when you were raised in East Anglia (the Sarcasm Capital of the World) it can take a while to believe that everyone really /is/ being that positive.

• @klaus Jan 29

@ginomakesmusic You can always just read threads and if you like what's being said, say something like "This is a great thread!" People do that every once in a while.

Oh, by the way, this is a great thread! 😀

• @apolez3 Jan 31

@elainedimasi sounds like sound advice,,, SHOW UP! Hope I will too...

@ginomakesmusic thanks for the post, I'm very new & very confused a bit; figuring it out though.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...