How DO I get constructive criticism on my songs on FAWM

Skip to the bottom

• @johncrossman  Jan 28

Just preempting a common topic. FAWM isn't known for it, but it's possible.

What are your tips? Mine:

1) Ask for it. FAWM is primarily supportive and kind, so you have to explicitly ask if you want something different or more. See https://fawm.org/help/#etiquette for more words on the wonderfully encouraging vibe here.

2) See #1. Ask on your sound board (profile page). Ask on the song page when you post.

3) Be specific. Do you want commenters to tell you what's wrong with your bridge? Do you want to know if the song would be better faster? Slower? An octave higher? With more cowbell? (yes!)

4) Start a forum topic and create a space for exchanging constructive feedback. You scratch my constructive feed-back and I'll scratch yours.

You still may not get exactly what you're asking for, and that's ok, but some specific behaviors will increase your chances. FAWM on!

• @elainedimasi  Jan 28

FAWM on! is right!

I like to remember, that just as there are many new songwriters here, there are many new song commenters and song considerers.

With all the best intention, we may be applauding your song unconditionally because we really do love it and are so glad to have discovered it.

We may not really know that with a little more work on the bridge chords, or by shortening the length of the last line in each stanza, or _______, the song would be even more effective.

But by reading great comments we continue to learn 😀

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 28

I've used my profile to flag constructive criticism as 'welcome', adding it to my pronouns and my collaboration policy. My page is starting to look like a human 'settings' screen, but I figure the insight into my inner being will be welcome when all most of you have to go on is a head in a tricorn.

• @zecoop  Jan 28

@stephenwordsmith - My profile bio is HUGE now, but get the information out there, right? Communication is the key. 😀

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...