What are your favorite gaming memories?
    What did you play last?
    What did you think of it?

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

Have you made games?
    Are you interested in game development?
    What's your favorite game soundtrack?

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 26

1) Wordscapes, mainly. Usually on the train. Or the smallest room in my house.

2) As a spectator, from a very young age, watching my older brothers play Manic Miner on the Amstrad. As a participant, since the early 90s, as I could play Luigi in Super Mario Brothers without compromising the gameplay for whoever was Mario.

3) Beating Sonic II (Mega Drive/Genesis) back in 1994 - first game I ever 'clocked'. Or pouring half my childhood into Gauntlet IV. And half my adolescence (and pocket money cf. AAA batteries) into Pokemon Blue. Or half my early highschool years into playing Quake online.

4) A 30-year anniversary edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on the BBC website.

5) It made me want to raze, mutilate, kill and defile. I understand this is the typical response.

6) I used to code text adventures in BASIC when I was a child. I got heavily involved in map making for Quake and module making for Neverwinter Nights, but haven't made a game from scratch.

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 26

7) I enjoy the WYSIWYG cut-and-paste creation aspect, but scrutinising code seems a little too much like work

8) It's probably Light Crusader, the only game soundtrack I have listened to on Youtube. I also enjoy the 16-bit era Sonic games and first gen Pokemon soundtracks, but my enjoyment is partially attributable to nostalgia-tinted earbuds.

• @aeye Jan 26

What kind of games are you playing?
    Currently going through stuff on my modded PS Vita. but I'm looking forward to Ys 9 Monstrum Nox.

When did you start gaming?
    I think when I was really young. I remember we owned an Atari 2800

The ones that really stick out are when I saw the opening to Final Fantasy 3 (6 in Japan) for the first time as a kid. It blew my mind.

The world of Horizon Zero Dawn. I have hever been pulled into a game world quite like that. Literally everything about this game is amazing. The pacing, the music, the really awesome looking machines etc. Sometimes I wish I could wipe my memory of it and experience it all over again. Even the DLC chapter was incredible.

Experiencing Resident Evil 2 for the first time on PsOne ( and the amazing remake of it recently which is probably the best RE game ever. )

And hanging out with my Destiny clan. Which disbanded. None of us really play anymore.

• @aeye Jan 26

What did you play last?
    Borderlands 3 and Harvest moon friends of mineral town on my vita

What did I think:
    BL3 is lame compared to 2. The moment to moment gameplay is better but everything else just isn't as good

HM:FOMT is probably my favorite Harvest moon. I owned it on the GBA and played it a lot then.

• @vomvorton  Jan 26

Currently mostly playing Dead Cells. Picked up a Switch last year after a significant break from regular gaming.

I started gaming probably around 1990, I guess? I had a C64. It consumed my every waking moment.

Favourite memories include Sensible World of Soccer and Worms tournaments with friends after school. My first Zelda - Link's Awakening, on my uncle's Gameboy.

Last game I finished was Wandersong, a sweet and melancholy musical adventure that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Made some games in QBasic in the late 90s but my friend Dave was the real talent. Not really interested in game development, software is my job, don't want to bring it home (lol working from home oh no)

There aren't many game soundtracks I've listened to outside of the game, but Rhythm Heaven on the DS had some killer tunes.

• @seanbrennan  Jan 26

1) Lately, I've been into OpenRCT2. It's an open-source mod of the first two RollerCoaster Tycoon games that features many QOL additions, as well as some bug and balance fixes, that add flexibility for sandbox-style play.

2) At the ripe age of four, my dad got "me" a Sega Genesis. (He's always been curious about state-of-the-art tech, even when he's not interested.) Joke's on him, I've been hooked ever since.

3) Currently having a ball in a semi-vanilla Minecraft server with some friends. Throughout the years, I've loved a good late-night marathon through some simplistic hack-'n'-slash with friends. My entire first playthrough of Celeste was transcendent. In high school, I got really into text MUDs (they never went fully extinct!). Some terrific literary journeys there.

4) Road Redemption, a spiritual successor to the Road Rash franchise (albeit far more gory).

5) I think it's great fun. It's missing something in the intangibles, so it feels a bit impersonal, but the gratuitous car

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

Yippee, a gaming thread! Hey @judypie!

Mostly FPS but I also love well-written adventure games and simulations.

In the late 70s when Space Invaders came out in the local bars! Then I bought an Atari and played 'em all!

Well, they are all great but I remember Space Invaders and Asteroids being amazing. I discovered and LOVED Infocom text adventure games. Then, my head exploded when Wolfenstein 3D showed up and the FPS genre was born. Then Doom and all of its variants. Tons of awesome shooters and then Fallout 3 followed by Skyrim. Oh and don't forget Half Life and HL2. Honestly way too many to mention.

What did you play last?
    Styx and Subnautica.

Styx was incredible! I normally don't like stealth and assassination but this game implemented it so well I just totally loved it. Subnautica is my current game but I'm not far enough along to assess it.

Have you made games?
    Yes! I made my first simple game way back for the original IBM-PC and sold it to one of those disk-of-the-month magazines. During the Doom phase I created lots of custom levels. And I designed a bunch of coffee break type games in Flash (before Steve Jobs killed it!)

Yes but I am too busy doing web dev and writing songs!

Gotta be Fallout 3 or Skyrim. But the Quake soundtracks by Trent Reznor stand out as truly awesome too!

• @cts  Jan 26

*RPGs, man.

Back in the 80s. I sucked at all of 'em - Pac Man, Tempest, Tron, Mr. Do, Space Invaders, Galaga, Centipede, Burger Time, et al.

*Being immersed in the world of Mass Effect. That entire series has left an incredible impression upon me. Best. Series. EVER!!
    *Playing Dead Space...gave me the creeps
    *Those new Tomb Raider games are incredible

What did you play last?
    *The latest Avengers game from the folks that made Tomb Raider.

*It's a bit on the sucky side...

• @cts  Jan 26

@johnstaples - hey man, what did you think of Subnautica? Uh, scratch that - I see you're still feeling it out.

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

@cts my son just finished it and he loved it so much I went and got it to play too. He kept telling me he was going crazy not talking to me about it but said it really surprised him and delighted him!

• @cts  Jan 26

@johnstaples - you guys playing it via Game Pass, I take it?

• @aeye Jan 26

Forgot to answer the soundtrack one:
    A few
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Nier Automata
    The Assassin's Creed Ezio Trilogy games
    Final Fantasy 6

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

@cts nah, he played it on XBox One and I'm playing on the PC! No consoles for me...I'm a WASD man! 😁

• @kable  Jan 26

Two words:

Beat Saber.

Nothing like slicing virtual blocks in half with lightsabers to the rhythm of a pumping soundtrack. It's easily my favorite now, and I'm starting to transition from expert to expert+ difficulty.

Aside from that, I just finished playing through a game called OMORI, a small indie RPG. That game destroyed me emotionally.

• @judypie  Jan 26

Yassssss!
    I’m just gonna play god of war but always time for gaming questions 😁My favourite games are games with a really involving story. Action adventure mostly. Far cry series et al.
    I am late to the party but finally playing God of War on PS5, absolutely loving it but sad I know I won’t finish it before February arrives! Before that I polished off Watchdogs Legion and Spiderman Miles Morales, my first 2 games on my PS5, they looked GORGE 😍. I think my last PS4 game was ghost of Tsushima, I love Japan so this was a dream to complete, wish I’d kept it for the ps5 upgrade but happy to play it again in the future!
    Because I play mostly for story, I tend to only play one game at a time, sell it and then buy my next one but I am dallying with Sackboy at the moment every now and then for some light cute relief 😁
    I was raised on consoles so started playing as soon as I had fingers I guess (or maybe a few years later) 😂
    Fave memories are Super MarioKart on the SNES

• @judypie  Jan 26

....and the theme tune from Thomas the tank engines on commodore64 😁 Also Jurassic park on the mega drive is so fondly remembered even though I was way too scared to ever leave the visitor centre 😂 Ooh and Alex Kidd on the master system of course. The SIMS on PC of course! Just ALL the games ever basically.
    Also PSVR, had some totally awesome gaming experiences on that and I wouldn’t be without it.
    My favourite game ever is The Last Guardian IDST!!
    I am most excited about Horizon Forbidden West!
    I WISH I had applied myself at school and realised then that making games would be the COOLEST JOB EVER. Alas, I did not have this foresight and I’m too stuck in my ways now so am more than happy enjoying other peoples output. Yes, I did also get the PlayStation symbols tattooed on myself. I’m that person. It’s in ma blood quite literally now 😜

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

Regarding game music, first of all...

Too many to keep track of. Here's some I could find from Spotify.
    https://open.spotify.com/user/1150039910/playlist/5ckdpKcFuJpZKmopH...

^ HIGHLY recommended!!!

And then Cities XL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AugCB0yG9gI

Little Nemo Dream Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBD_Dqf4K30

Order of Ecclesia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sR35xUJnto

This theme from SC1 that can't be found anywhere!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrDd66egnMQ

Shovel Knight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjMhyw7aWAE

Super Puzzle Platformer!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11AO4Wq4jHI

Absolute favorite Unreal and Age of Wonders from the same composer (tracker music)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd67viF7Q54
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuSzWcloE4E

Cave Story+!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CFvy4lMCcA

If you don't know any of these, then please, please, please, LISTEN! I'm very passionate about this stuff!

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

I'm not currently playing anything, I'm taking a year off of video games. But I DID play through Cyberpunk 2077 during December. Wow! Breath-taking world and pretty great story, too.
    https://twitter.com/JuhaKeranen/status/1339721100725522435

When did I start gaming? Well I kinda answered this on Gslade's podcast. 😁 You'll have to listen to find out.
    https://gsladeshow.captivate.fm/episode/ia

Have I made games? Yup, since 90s. That's my passion ever since I played SMB on NES. I was lead on a game called Riptale when I worked at Super God.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/616000/Riptale/

And I'm currently working on my own project called One Knight Stand on Unreal Engine 4.
    https://twitter.com/StandKnight/status/1317499128126070786

And there have been like 200 failed projects along the way. But it's been fun!

• @elesimo  Jan 26

What kind of games are you playing? My favorite game is Baldur's Gate, a game from 1998 that I still play every now and then. I also just started playing Witcher 2 and Skyrim on my girlfriend's XBOX 360.

When did you start gaming? Back in 1984, on an Atari.

What are your favorite gaming memories? Playing Gauntlet with my dad at the arcade, back in the 80's.

What did you play last? Witcher 2, I just started it.

What did you think of it? The fight mechanism are too complicated for me. 😝

Have you made games? Yes! I've made 2 games for pyweek.org, a challenge were you write a Python game in 1 week. Sounds familiar? 😀

Are you interested in game development? Not really.

What's your favorite game soundtrack? Starbound.

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

And like everyone else, too many favorite memories.

* Visiting random relatives and playing on one of my 40 cousins' old 386 or whatever some STUNTS.EXE or maybe Tank Wars. Or what about Populous?
    * Trading NES games on the playground and going to random kids' houses that I barely knew to find out about games like Super Mario Bros 2 or Blaster Master or so many games.
    * Spending summer at my neighbors and playing Castlevania 2 and many random US imports he happened to have (connections hmm) one cartridge had like 700 games or something. All of them were awful, but hey! 700 games!
    * Lan party and playing CS beta 0.7. Or maybe finding out about Thief from a dude there who was like 6 years older. Delta Force 2???
    * Shareware CD-ROMs that had me sell my soul to Warcraft 2.
    * Going to a friends house with my copy of Diablo to play it through because his PC was slightly better. (they didn't seem to mind)
    * Unreal with my cousin.
    * Aaaagh, so few characters...

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

Oh, by the way, the dude who made VVVVVV soundtrack, also made this intro music for MANvsGAME
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6q1EgtDZvo

Goddamn, I learned so much from this piece of music about layering different melodies on top of each other. It's glorious. I don't really like chiptune, but I could listen that for hours. And I have. (In case you were wondering where I got my chiptune inspiration.)

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

@ianuarius how buggy was your Cyberpunk 2077 experience? I bought it for my son on XBox One but I hear it is almost unplayable there. Even so I hear great things about it. When a game that buggy still gets rave reviews you know there is something there, right? I'll buy it at GOG for PC but they gotta drop the price from $60US!

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

@johnstaples Not very. PC. I had to reload a save a couple of times because of a bug, but other than that, it was smooth sailing. Yea, I heard the console versions are dreadful! Yikes.

Don't trust reviews though. On any game.

1. Game companies buy advertisements on publications that review their games (conflict of interest? hmmm)
    2. If you give bad review scores, you'll get blacklisted. That means no pre-events, no review copies, you'll be late on everything and everyone else will get the scoop.
    3. If you try to have a backbone and be honest anyway, you'll get fired.

Review scores are paid by the companies that make the games. And vocal majority who play those games have been hyped for them for 2 years before and will crucify anyone who doesn't agree that the game is amazing (even when they haven't played the game yet).

Hype is real. The concept. It moves copies and makes reviews utterly pointless.

But CP2077 was really really good. 😁

E: Hmm, damn, yea I paid full price. That's like one of the four games I've ever paid full price for. (Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2). And Playnite tells me I have over 1500 games (Steam, Gog, EA, Ubi, Epic).

• @yam655  Jan 26

I used to think I liked games. I don't think that anymore.

I don't like MMOs. I don't really like first person. I avoid multiplayer unless I already know who I am playing with, and prefer LAN multiplayer over world multiplayer.

I play games to have fun and relax, not to be stressed out. Quality cheats make games better for me. Timed segments have caused me to quit games.

I'm a sucker for roguelikes, and roguelites, and the words "procedurally generated world."

These days, I mostly play games with my 9yo. We like Stellaris, Streets of Rogue, some LEGO games, The Sims (various versions), Stardew Valley, 0AD, Hedgewars, and recently started playing Unrailed!

Sometimes we breakout Retroarch or settle in beside the RetroPie and go old school retro.

He's a big fan of games we can play on the same computer, and I'm a big fan of HumbleBundles.

• @yam655  Jan 26

@johnstaples If you want a quality cyberpunk game that isn't buggy or likely to cause a person seizures, I'd like to recommend Neofeud.

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

@yam655 You speak my language! Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is the ultimate stress-relieve-game for me. There's barely even any competition. It's just driving 300mph and rock music.

And procedurally generated is the best!

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

@ianuarius yeah the folks I listen to are players I trust. Sometimes I will look up a game on Metacritic and try to ascertain a rating.

I just got a new computer with a kickass graphics card so I am ready for Cyberpunk but I won't pay the going rate yet!

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

But seriously, anyone else play Stunts? 😁

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

@ianuarius while I understand your mistrust of reviews, if the game companies had as much influence as you claim they would not have a 56 out of 100 rating for the XBox One version of CP2077 over at Metacritic!

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

I don't know Stunts (yet) but it reminded me of an ancient favorite, Stunt Island!

• @yam655  Jan 26

@judypie Anyone can learn to program. Part of the issue is that you may be looking at AAA games and thinking, "I can't do that." Well, yeah, the AAA games are made by huge studios with big teams. Look in to the smaller oddball games, though. There are still -- popular -- games made by a single developer.

https://itch.io/ has a lot of independent games available.

Plus, these days there are a lot of programming environments that are easy for people starting out.

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

@johnstaples Sure there would.

Reviewers think about their own asses. They look at the general atmosphere. "Oh look, everyone says the game doesn't work on PS4. Well we sure aren't gonna give it 90/100 then and make ourselves look like ass."

All self-service.

And since everyone does it... CDPR can't exactly blacklist everybody.

• @aeye Jan 26

RE favorite gaming moments: This is probably one. Learning how to solo Crota (6 person raid boss) in the original destiny https://youtu.be/_pPyDqmUzPQ

• @vomvorton  Jan 26

I'm more into indie games than AAA stuff but I did enjoy Breath of the Wild. My favourite game that I've played since getting a Switch was A Short Hike, which is a melancholy little 5-6hr game with great vibes.

Love procedurally generated stuff too. Spelunky is probably my favourite game of all time. Can't wait for the sequel to come to Switch later this year.

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

has anyone played SOMA? lots of hiding and discovery. some puzzles. totally terrifying. and mind-blowing as you slowly figure out what is going on. I still think about it years after playing!

• @carleybaer  Jan 26

@vomvorton Breath of the Wild! Yes! I don’t consider myself a gamer, but I fell into BOTW in a big way, to the point where I downloaded the expansions after freeing all the Divine Beasts because I didn’t want it to be over. Just a really beautiful, well done game.

• @ianuarius  Jan 26

People who shy away from games generally tend to still enjoy stuff like Sims or Stardew Valley. Hey, I do too.

• @judypie  Jan 26

For sure @yam655 ! I guess I’m just sad I’m not gonna be working on the Last of Us 3 or anything 😂 I love a romp through a small info game too.
    Yasss I played a few hours of Soma @johnstaples before crying like a baby and giving up😂 I would love to play more horror but I don’t have the balls for it sadly. Can’t even fathom how people play Resi Evil inside the VR, I wouldn’t make it past the loading screen 😂

• @splittybooms  Jan 26

I have been waiting for someone to start this thread!!!

A friend of mine bought me PUBG and I've been playing the heck out of it with a crew of friends. SUPER fun with them...not so much without them.
    Outside of that, can't stop playing Rimworld and I'm kinda into Littlewood.

We had an Atari 400 in the house when I was little, and I'd watch my Uncles play PacMan and Donkey Kong until my Aunt and Ma started snatching the joysticks from them and showing them up. I never got a turn lol But I just enjoyed watching them. My first system was an NES one Christmas, I believe 90'. It was magical. I remember I would stand up in front of my tv to mimic playing an arcade game.

So many.
    Chrono Cross was my first RPG and the first time I got emotionally invested in a game and its characters.
    At Michigan State when I would stand in the middle of the hallway and just yell "SMASH BROTHA

• @splittybooms  Jan 26

AASSSSS!!!!"...and peeps would begin to emerge from their dorms into our little room and we'd play without sleeping.
    Playing minecraft, again without sleeping, with my little cuz.
    All the COD sessions with my cousins..."NO SCREEN-LOOKIN'!!!"
    And every session of Smash Bros with the same cousins...A game of Smash would be played almost every weekend from Melee up to Ultimate. I cherished those times.

What did you last play?
    Last thing I played was Fallout 4, cause I always always always go back to that game time and time again.
    Last thing I beat was Deus Ex Human Revolution

FO4 - I think this may be my all-time favorite game right there with any Smash and Minecraft
    Deus Ex - Unfortunately, I rushed through this and eventually started to cheat lol I had to make room on my SSD quickly so I could install PUBG to play with my friends. Even before that, though, the experience was as immersive as the first Deus Ex.

Have you made games?
    If you count mak

• @splittybooms  Jan 26

making my own modpack for Minecraft, then yeah. Never shared it. Was just for me and my cuz.
    I did however, make a one-song soundtrack for a student game for someone; game was a tempest-like shooter. Was really cool!

Nah. I don't have the focus/commitment/patience to learn or stick with it.

Hmm, that's a toughy.
    I'd say Sonic 2. I think there are only like 2 songs on the entire thing that I don't love. (Mystic Cave slaps!)

Sorry (not sorry) so wordy, but when it comes to games, I can talk (write) forever!

• @cts  Jan 26

@johnstaples - wow! Yes, I've played it but did not finish because it scared the crap outta me. That one and Outlast. I can't get past that one, either. Creepy as all get out man.

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

@splittybooms I remember hearing that Sonic 2 theme over and over and over while my kids played it! Soundtrack of our lives for a couple of years!

• @johnstaples  Jan 26

OMG @judypie and @cts you gotta finish SOMA for the Big Ending! Blew my mind!

• @vomvorton  Jan 26

@carleybaer I got the expansion stuff too! But never finished the additional quests, I should go back to it really. It was my original lockdown game, definitely a wonderful world to explore when the real one is out of bounds.

• @cts  Jan 27

@johnstaples I remember there's a setting where those mechanical creatures aren't so threatening or maybe I don't take much of a hit. Either way, if I take the easy route does that diminish the ending as far as the story and the reward of finishing the game? It's still in my digital locker along with my other games so I can definitely play it.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@cts no problem! I played it on a low difficulty setting and the story is the same. Of course, even then I spent lots of time being terrorized by those things!

• @judypie  Jan 27

@johnstaples I can’t deal ok! Im a wuss 😭

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@judypie she seems nice?

• @judypie  Jan 27

😂😂

• @kanttila  Jan 27

I'm def a casual although I have got a lot of games and systems over the years. Most of which I haven't beaten. Working at the Pawn Shop did that to me. I mainly just play whatever COD is new and then some old games. I like NES games for the simple aesthetics and design that go with the challenging gameplay.

- FPS

- When I was 4 and my older cousin handed me down his Sega Genesis. Sonic 2 was my first game and it will always be my favorite and the one I'm best at.

- Halo 2, four player split screen at my friend's place many years ago. I always loved playing Halo with my friends in split screen. Only once did I get to do 4 player and that was an experience.

What did you play last?
    - Cold War, doubles with a friend

- The game is fun, not great, just more of the same from COD

• @kanttila  Jan 27

My favorite soundtrack would be Sonic 3 & Knuckles. In Grade 6 I listened to Sonic music and Michael Jackson the most. That is thanks to the classic YouTube video Michael Jackson's Sonic 3 which got me into Michael's music! I am a sinner and I mostly play games on mute so I can put on records (I played Nier Automata like this and anyone I tell that to is always outraged by that).

Shout out to Sonic Heroes also, love those songs especially the cheesy but super nostalgic title song and Seaside Hill.

Halo 1-3 would be a super close second, if not the first. Those are games that playing through them is just like watching a great movie trilogy and the music adds so much. The end of Halo 3 is just goosebump raising.

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

@stephenwordsmith - Sonic 2 was my life for an entire summer vacation. And I also loved playing as Luigi in SMB...made the entire game feel different even if it was just a palette swap! My lying uncle tried to make me believe that Luigi could jump higher than Mario lol

@aeye - The RE2 remake was so friggin good! Its my first time playing RE2. Its the best RE experience I've had since Director's Cut. (i'm too scared of 7...) Have you played the Friends of Mineral Town on Steam?

@vomvorton - That was also my first Zelda game...I can't remember the game as much as I can remember being curled up in a chair in our living room in the dark with a lamp on...just playing until the batteries would start to go (or my grandmother would make me "get off that game!")

@seanbrennan - you're speaking my language! An open source RCT??? I had no idea such a thing existed...and with QOL stuff??? I must look into this immediately.
    And sometimes...you just want a bit of Vanilla Minecraft. Th

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

And sometimes...you just want a bit of Vanilla Minecraft. Though, I do still prefer beefy and complicated modpacks, chock full of stuff that I'll never even get around to messing with lol And lastly - Road Rash 2 consumed me for a very long time...I was obsessed. Once I learned the cheats from a video game mag (Game Informer!), it was crazy. Not familiar with Road Redemption...must check it out.

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

@johnstaples - I enjoyed Subnautica! Love the atmosphere. The base building is a little clunky, but I really like the resource gathering of this game, mainly because of the unique setting and the feel of adventure and intrigue. However, swimming anywhere near the downed ship gave me such a feeling of foreboding and anxiety! I legit got the heebie-geebies. I need to revist that game...
    And I wonder what the odds are that I played one of your WADs (is that what they used to call the mods? Or am I remembering wrong?) I was all about using my 10 minutes of internet (dial-up) time that my mama let me have daily to find new maps lol

@cts - I sucked at each 80s game you mention, too. It was so frustrating because EVERYONE I knew was so good at Pac Man...even my mom could get a higher score than me!
    I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2. Its my next game I'm trying to complete so I can make room for Cyberpunk. I've started and re-started this game for years and I'm finally gonna stick it out and beat it. "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite forum topic on the Citadel"
    Dead Space...one of the games that made me actually holler. Dude...
    And I was pretty excited for the Avengers game, but everyone I hear from says its not worth it...sad.

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

@kable - I SO want to try Beat Saber. I feel it'd be a good calorie-shredder, as well!
    I'm going to see what omori is about - I like a good emotionally-destroying game.

@judypie - So who did you shank to get your mitts on a PS5??? Lol just kidding. Congrats! I want one just to play Spider-man. I went PS3, then XB1...so I'm looking forward to (one day) getting back to Sony. I love PC, but I also love consoles. Really intrigued by Ghost of Tsushima.
    Super Mario Kart...oh the SALTINESS back in college from that game... Legit fights almost broke out.
    SIMS! In my all-time favs...i've loved every version of the game. Do you get sucked into buying the add-ons??? I'm ashamed of the money I've spent...

@ianuarius - will be checking out those music links.
    I'm looking forward to clearing space so I can install Cyberpunk. Its good to see someone who enjoyed it and isn't bashing it. I'm going in with an open mind.
    The NES game-swapping...I missed out on this because my Ma didn't trust other kids lol Someone leant me their Batman, but I had to immediately give it back and couldn't play it when my mom found out lol
    I also missed out on LAN parties...I would look into windows of rented out store-fronts as kids of all ages would be playing Unreal or something. It seemed like it would be heaven if I could get a chance to be a part of it. But I had no friends...nor the money to get setup.
    Shareware...good grief. I had a shareware disk full of Apogee games - Jill of the Jungle, one of the Keen games, and Blake Stone...LOVED Blake Stone!

• @aeye Jan 27

@splittybooms i haven’t played the new FOMT. The story of seasons one right? I’ve only played the original but have heard the new one is great. I played RE2R to the point of getting the platinum trophy (100% of trophies) on the PS version. Playing on hardcore was something lol. I was gonna play 7 but it just didn’t feel very RE to me. Tried it at a friends and it’s intense in the beginning but just felt more Silent Hill then RE. (Id also love a new silent hill after that PT demo they put out. So scary) I’m curious about 8 but waiting to see more.

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

@elesimo - I felt the same about Witcher 2...and that kept me from getting into it. Witcher 3 seems cool...but I just keep starting and stopping with that one.

@yam655 - I also avoid multiplayer unless I'm playing with peeps I know. Its too stressful... I usually suck at games, especially first-person shooters, and I automatically know I'm gonna be the weak link...and I just don't feel like getting cursed out by someone who is taking it way more serious than I am, or who gets so angry just because I suck lol
    Rogue games also stress me out because I get attached to characters too easily...not good for those kinds of games. Streets Of Rogue is way too good, though.
    Ooooh! You just reminded me to check the latest HumbleBundle...I often forget about that!

@johnstaples - I did play SOMA...and like @cts, got way too scared lol I found it quite intense with an awesome atmosphere...very immersive which played right into my fear. I didn't get far because the drive it was on crashed. But that's one I'm itching to re-install.
    Have you who played SOMA also played Alien Isolation? They remind me of eachother being that you're just a scared little pile of meat running from scary things. Alien Isolation is scarier than SOMA to me...but they both truly play up the fear factor.

• @aeye Jan 27

@vomvorton since you’re into indie and procedurally generated have you tried Enter the Gungeon? It’s ridiculous and pretty fun

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

@carleybaer - I got BOTW a few Christmases ago and am embarassed (truly) that I have yet to complete it. I flat out suck at it. No two ways about it. I am ashamed at how bad I make Link look lol
    But it is an AWESOME game!

I'm curious - anybody into Animal Crossing? It kept me alive and sane. But after a while, just like all prior entries, New Horizons eventually lost my interest. This time, though...I have a palpable guilt for neglecting the game, my island, and my neighbors. Anyone feel that way?

@kanttila - 4 player split-screen Halo...I, too only got to have that experience a handful of times, and it was so enjoyable that I still remember it today. Couch multiplayer...there's just nothing like it.
    Curious - did you get into Warzone?
    Sonic games seem to historically have amazing soundtracks, don't they?

ok i'm gonna stop talking now...its just that I love talking games and don't get to do it much, that I just gush when I get the chance!

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

(I lied!)
    @aeye I'm very curious about the harvest moon one. I've only played one entry in that series long, long ago on PS3, I think, and loved it. So I'm not sure how this new one is setup - if its seasons or what. It just looks awesome.
    Interesting comparison to Silent Hill for RE7...I could see that. I did get a sense of the raw fear that the series gave me back in Director's Cut in 7...but amped up to like 10,000. Maybe...maybe I'm just a wuss now lol
    RE 4 was also amazing.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@splittybooms OMG I can't believe I forgot to mention Alien Isolation! Def one of the Best Games Ever! Sooooo much hiding and stealthing. Soooooo much dying! And just when you think "I got this" you're like "Oh F...a nest???" My son has played this like 20 times and I always just watched him play. I was too scared to play it on my own. Then, after the COVID thing locked us down, he convinced me to try it and I shared my screen with him while zooming with him on my phone. Basically he could see and hear everything and guide me through the whole game!! For a game like that it was a delight to have my Obi-wan right there with me saying "Go left...NO...go left...she's gonna pop out of that vent...DON'T RUN!"

• @kanttila  Jan 27

@splittybooms I didn't really play Warzone. I played a few games when it come out for MW but Battle Royale type games aren't my thing.

and yes Sonic games are usually always good on music. The Genesis games are of course the best. Then we have all the great cheese Crush40 songs and who could ever forget "Sonic Boom" from Sonic CD. TROUBLE KEEPS YOU RUNNING FASTER!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@splittybooms HA! I have the same negative experiences online gaming with strangers! I remember in Battlefield Vietnam I loved the gameplay but never really learned how to do everything. So I would jump into a helicopter and start it up. Then a whole bunch of guys would jump in and start yelling "Let's go. Fly this thing!" Then I'd get it off the ground and promptly nosedive into the ground and kill everyone on board. And they would say mean things to me!

• @yam655  Jan 27

@judypie Writing games can be like writing music. You start small. You get popular. You suddenly get picked up by a big publisher.

Shoot, one of the most popular games written by one person? Minecraft. The initial alpha version was made by one person.

But just like with music, you've got to get started.

• @yam655  Jan 27

@splittybooms I tell you, quality cheats make for a quality gaming experience. This alone can be enough to steer me away from a lot of multiplayer games.

Stellaris is a big 4X space game, but you can load saved multiplayer games in single player mode and use cheats there. There's a command to switch to other players, so even in single-player mode you can cheat for the second player. Then it's a matter of saving the game again and loading it back up in multiplayer mode.

• @yam655  Jan 27

Fun fact: I learned software development as a kid specifically so I could cheat at video games.

This may relate to why cheating is so important to me.

• @kable  Jan 27

@splittybooms Beat Saber is truly the best, but of course, VR equipment is still prohibitively expensive for some. The Oculus Quest 2 is the price of a Nintendo Switch console at the moment, so it's a great budget entry device into VR games. I've been playing it with a Valve Index system. The Index is fantastic, but it's not as portable.

• @heuristicsinc  Jan 27

Let's see, games I played this week... Skyrim. Spelunky. Slay the Spire. Portal 2. Minecraft (with my kids). Wingspan. Terraforming Mars (I think that was the last computer game I played). I like boardgames and some of these are boardgame experiences on the computer.
    I started gaming ... at a very young age. We had an Intellivision. There were a lot of great games for that. Some of those make for good memories too.
    When I was younger I did some game programming, a little recently as I'm trying to work with my son on that. Since I do software for my day job I don't do much at home. I have also done some boardgame design.
    For soundtracks, yeah! The Half-Life soundtracks by Kelly Bailey are great. Skyrim too!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@heuristicsinc oh yeah I LOVED the Intellivision! I once spent a couple of weeks cramming for my FCC Radio license and all I did during that time was study, play Intellivision, eat and sleep over and over!

• @vomvorton  Jan 27

@aeye I have not! The bullet hell vibe looks a bit intense for my liking, although everyone seems to love it so maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

• @cts  Jan 27

@johnstaples and @splittybooms do NOT get me started on Alien Isolation. I had to drop that one, too because it was freaking me out. However, I plan on finishing that one at some point. And yeah, The Avengers is truly $29.99 lost.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Game Development Advice

@judypie I always tell aspiring game developers, think of the simplest game imaginable. And they go something like "Super Mario". No, think simpler. "Pac Man?". Simplerrr... like Tic-Tac-Toe. And if you really want to be creative, list like 20 things that don't go with that game and pick something that wouldn't blow it out of proportion and try to make it good.

Example (super random):
    Tic-Tac-Toe with bears
    with communism
    the crosses are christianity
    with wind physics
    you have to make all your moves simultaneously
    the music changes gameplay
    with three players
    timers that make the squares explode
    you can buy gear to defend spots
    TRAINS (somehow?)
    alcoholic circles with square crosses
    game story where you're filing criminal reports by doing TicTacToe idk
    ooh! Lawyer game and you defend your case with the pieces!

Some of those really could be done with minimal effort. Some not so much. Just gotta recognize what and why.

Once you've finished that game, you've graduated to maybe Match-Four.

Games like Super Mario Bros will take you years to finish, if you can finish them at all. It's better to build confidence in the basics so you'll already know each step there might be to finishing a game like SMB.

Of course, the absolute best is if you can find a cool person to do the game with you so that one will do the programming and one will do art. Music and all that other stuff is an afterthought. It's absolutely necessary and can make a good game an excellent one, but it's not exactly the difficult part or what takes 99% of the time.

The thing with partnerships is tho... often the other party loses interest after a few months (or few days) and then the project is essentially dead. Happened to me probably fifty times. But that shouldn't discourage you. If you have the right friend or something, it'll be the most fun you ever had!

Just start small! 😁

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

About Cyberpunk 2077

@splittybooms I didn't follow any of the CP2077 hype, I just wanted to play it cos I used to play 2020 when I was like 13 with my friends and have a ton of Shadowrun books etc. So I didn't know what they promised the game to be or any of that, I was just waiting for it to release. But from what I understand, people feel betrayed, because CDPR promised stuff and then the game didn't have any of that. Awful management; they're getting what they deserve.

But so why I liked the game. The city is massive. Like it's the size of GTA5 city or something, but it's in five layers. I can't trust the markers at all, because I probably have to go around some mega building and then up the elevator to 120th floor. And there are so goddamn many things to see. Even if you don't PLAY the game, just going around and looking at things is worth it. I can't stress this enough. Look at that tweet I posted!

And many of the characters are just fun. I started to develop real relationship with them and felt like I knew who they were as people. The Keanu Reeves character is the BEST. The plot is VERY Cyberpunk, probably since they worked with Poundsmith. Many games claim to be "cyberpunk" but it's just the aesthetic. This game is VERY punk. There's a whole movement inside the game and you play thrash metal and all that. I was super satisfied.

I just wanted to be a street samurai. And boy did they deliver. You think running in the og Doom is fast? Haha. Try sprinting that fast, then doing double jumps over freeways and slicing 10 baddies with your katana before they even know what's happening.

A lot of Witcher-vision type of detective work too!

But I also want to try being a hacker and more sneaky approach. So, I'll play it again next year. 😁

It's a very linear game to be called an RPG. But I happen to like that, so it was perfect. Just a good story from beginning to end.

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 27

Your podcast with @gslade makes me wanna get the Nintendo out!!!

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

@sw1n3flu Top 10 NES games??? GO!

Ok, I guess it's easier if I type mine in this post.

Super Mario Bros 3
    NES Open Tournament Golf
    Ice Hockey
    DuckTales
    Little Samson
    Mega Man 3
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master
    Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
    Solstice
    Shatterhand
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Spike V'Ball
    Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
    Mega Man 2
    Blaster Master
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

Wait... how many is that??

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 27

Super Mario Bros
    Super Mario Bros 3
    The Legend of Zelda
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
    Mega Man 2
    Kid Icarus
    Pro Wrestling
    Castlevania

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 27

those are some of the ones I enjoyed and remember well! Excitebike was always a bit meh.

• @judypie  Jan 27

Woah, so many gamers who gotta game! 😁 @kable Beat Sabre is my FAVE too! Though I do sometimes think I prefer Thumper which was somewhat of a precursor to it for me. First rhythm game inside the VR and it blew my mind, I still have nightmares about the final level and the amount of sweat it took from my body 😁 Beat Saber is more fun admittedly, I got a few expansion packs and would gladly keep pouring money in, never gets old! I have done expert and most of them and scraped expert+ on a few but I can’t ever see making an A grade ok expert+ Did you play the campaign? I did that first, how solid are the ones where there’s a limit on how many metres you can move your arms?! Or a minimum you have to achieve! 😂 The game is genius in its life of fun!
    @splittybooms haha I was just VERY determined to get one at launch so was just a morning of constant refreshes over various retailers 😁 At first I wasn’t bothered about getting it at launch as loved my PS4pro so, but obviously once they were like gold dust I just HAD to have it. No regrets! Loading screens are all but a thing of the past now 😁
    With the Sims I normally would prohibit myself from buying the expansions, I didn’t deem it worth all the money the game actually ends up costing, I’m sure the Sims 4 must cost about £2k if you get all the additions? 😂
    @johnstaples Ad bought me Alien Isolation for Christmas one year because he knows I love the films! You’d think after 15 years together he would also know I can’t play horror 😂 I put it on, walked around the ship for 5 mins, picked up a blip on radar, and then took that disc right out the disc tray 😂

• @adforperu  Jan 27

Me and @judypie (try and) share the PS5 but I'm a very different gamer - I'm basically moving between FIFA 21 and Warzone at the moment. I've been playing Warzone pretty consistently for nearly a year now, and STILL don't have a solos win under my belt, which is ridiculous. But it's too fun to give up.

For someone who has gamed so much since i was 8 or so, I really don't have a wealth of different games under my belt, I prefer games I can jump in and out of without too much worry. Having said that, The Last of Us and the sequel are both incredible games.

• @judypie  Jan 27

Haha that’s cool advice @ianuarius ! Cos who DOESN’T want trains incorporated into tic tac toe? 😁 Yes I see how it can be like songwriting for sure, and I don’t think I’d struggle too much with coming up with the ideas! But I’d come to a swift stop when it came to putting the ideas into practice! Much the same struggle as I have with music as it happens 😂

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

For anyone who wants to try game development and spend like 2 hours making a simple game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPV2KyIb3jR53Jce9hP7G5xC4O9A...

That's 10 videos, plus an intro video. @judypie 😀

I've done that tutorial once and it's so simple and straight forward. Just download Unity and follow along.

• @atitlan  Jan 27

I pretty much only play strategy and simulation games these days.

Back in the deep dark depths of the 1980s - VIC20 was my first machine capable of playing games reasonably (had a ZX80 before that)

Sim City 4 - went full addict on that to the point that I learned 3DS Max in order to create buildings. Football Manager is eternal - been playing its various iterations for a very long time. Loved Skyrim - until I didn't.

What did you play last?
    At the moment I'm rotating between MS Flight Simulator, Crusader Kings 3, Cities Skylines and Football Manager 2021

MS Flight Sim is amazing in scope and although it has its issues I'm really enjoying it. FM21 is the best in a few years. CK3 is always fun - the politics of court give it touch of Game of Thrones.

• @rollasoc  Jan 27

Started in 1978 with pong. but properly in 1982 when I got a Zx spectrum/

Last played some game for easy gamer achievements. was trying to get 10,000 achievements points in a couple weeks, managed about 8700, which is good, since I normally do a couple hundred a month.

BUT. Postly playing Stardew Valley, Elite Dangerous, Conan Exhiles and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

• @judypie  Jan 27

Thank you for the resources @ianuarius but I am very limited here, with just my iPad!

• @chasingandromeda  Jan 27

---

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

Ahhh @chasingandromeda Infocom's Bureaucracy was aces. In fact every Infocom game was the best! Lurking Horror. Zork. HGTTG. Suspended. Planetfall. Deadline. Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Even Fooblitzky! I still have them all and love dropping into one from time to time! I have always LOVED the goodies that came with each game! A matchbook. A drink swizzle stick. A Zorkmid coin. All pure gold!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@atitlan I spent so much time in the various Sim City games! So much fun. I also had Sim Farm and Sim Ant and pretty much everything Maxis ever published!

Also sooooo many delightful hours in MS Flight Sim! Played the original on an amber monochrome monitor! Tell me this...do they still have Meigs Field in it?

• @dasbinky  Jan 27

I spend most of my gaming time on Factorio. It's my gaming opiate of choice. You automate all of the things and it's open ended enough that I can play a given save for 150 hours before I decide to start over.

I just finished (and am doing another playthrough of) Disco Elysium. Feels like the kind of game songwriters would enjoy. Extremely dialogue heavy, and very dense lyrical language, if a little nihilistic for some tastes. I really dug it.

I have never not gamed. Favorite memories are discovering RPGs like Wasteland and Bard's Tale back in the 80s. Played a lot of Wasteland 3 in 2020, so there's been some nice continuity.

Other favorite in the past few years was The Return of the Obra Dinn. 1-bit graphic mystery. I wish I could erase my memory and play it again.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

Any PC gamers here unaware of GOG.com? Thousands of classic games very cheap and legal with all DRM removed! Plus some newer games too! I've bought a bunch of my old faves just to be able to play them again since many came on floppies or cds.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

Oh and I much prefer GOG to Steam since you get the games with absolutely no required interaction ever with their servers, unlike Steam. To me Steam is just another form of DRM.

• @atitlan  Jan 27

@johnstaples I think Meigs Field is still there, but there's an add-on version, so I'm not sure it's there as one of the detailed airport by default.

Of, course, no one airport is quite as significant now we have the whole world. RTW trips have been very popular since release given the quality of a lot of the scenery.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Out of the Maxis games, I think I loved SimCity2000 the most, because I never had it. I always played the original which waws a bummer. But then we also got SimTown from somewhere and played that with my sister. A really fascinating one that. Precursor to Sims, hmm??

• @aeye Jan 27

@splittybooms For FOMT it's a big different then the 3D ones that were on PS3 ( those are great though). This one has a more compact town, but there is still plenty to do with farming, mining, seasona and festivals etc. It's probably why I like that one so much as it's everything about the series sort of distilled down a little bit. But definitely my favorite. There is also Stardew valley as well which is a modern take on the HM style of games.

• @yam655  Jan 27

@judypie There's an app for that: https://www.apple.com/swift/playgrounds/

Lots of game developers aim for cross-platform play (and so avoid writing Swift), but core "how programming works" stuff is very portable between languages, and if Apple's putting out a product to teach people to code, it is going to run well on the iPad.

• @rickatfulcrum  Jan 27

@johnstaples my brother does GOG and is quite content with playing and replaying anything he finds there. But he also has a Steam account, which makes it easier for me to buy him gift cards for his birthday and Christmas.

I'm on Steam too, so far mostly to play Arkham Horror with my fair lady over the P2P functionality of Tabletop Simulator. Soon, with a more powerful computer, I hope to start recording and editing Cities Skylines builds. That will probably have to wait till after February though.

• @judypie  Jan 27

Awesome thanks @yam655 that can be my new hobby for March I guess 😁

• @kable  Jan 27

@judypie holy smokes, how could I have forgotten THUMPER!? In 2017, that was the one game I couldn't get enough of, favorite non-VR rhythm game to date. Eventually, I only ever played it on its brutal play+ mode, and with a lot of practice, I achieved the 8th best score on the entire play+ campaign on PC for a brief period. That ranking has since fallen out of the top tens and into the low double digits. Probably way out of practice now, don't know if I could do it again.

As for Beat Saber, I have completed all the campaign challenges, and all that's left is the virtually unlimited skill ceiling of custom dual-saber maps.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@rickatfulcrum yeah I have a Steam account too for those games I simply MUST play and can't get at GOG (like Alien Isolation!)

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Since many are fans of Bandcamp on FAWM, here's something interesting if you want to support the devs of a game.

Steam takes a 30% cut of a game's profit.
    GOG takes 30%.
    Microsoft Store takes 30%.
    All console stores take 30%
    Humble Store only takes 25%, out of which 10 points go to charity.
    But here's the kicker...
    Epic only takes 12%.

What does that mean? Well, especially with indies, that could mean the difference between being able to make another game or calling it quits.

Epic is a weird beast. Owned 40% by Tencent, they seem to still be pushing some very pro-developer practices (perhaps because that's their background) and they're trying to build a good customer base to force other stores to drop their cuts as well. Take is however you want.

Also, I have like 130 very quality games on my Epic Library and I haven't bough single one of them. They just give them away.

I even Alien Isolation there. Yeah, there's DRM, but free is free.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@ianuarius Epic sounds interesting. I quickly perused their main store page and saw CyberPunk 2077 at the same (high) price as GOG. Did you really get Alien Isolation there for free? The free games angle doesn't interest me much as I already have a lifetime's worth of free, retro, recovered games filling a big drive! I like the idea of supporting devs if Epic had a game I wanted. One thing that bores me to tears is the huge number of side scrollers on GOG. They must be easier to make; there are just so many. And I lost interest in that genre 20 years ago. I'll keep an eye on Epic. Thanks for the tip.

Btw I think GOG is giving the dev of Cyberpunk 2077 100% of proceeds.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

GOG gives CP2077 100% of the proceeds because they're the company that made the game. 😁

Epic gives out free games weekly, so each week you have a different free game you can add to your library and then it's replaced with something else (like GTA5, Just Cause 4, Civ 6 etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/EpicGamesPC/comments/e9vj2c/updated_list_o...)

Sidescrollers are indeed relatively easy to make, but they're also trending now. 90s saw a huge influx of sidescrollers and now people have nostalgia for that.

Epic has also given away millions of dollars to indie developers just to get their games made. They offer their Unreal Engine out for free (which is default these days, but it's a really good engine) and they've given away a giant load of free game assets like 3d models and animations for free. They like game development!

But yea, the thing that doesn't excite me about Epic is the Tencent factor. Tencent is like a proper Cyberpunk mega corporation from good old China. Their revenue in 2019 was 58 billion usd. And their practices have been questionable. But so far, they haven't really made any move regarding Epic, except they own 40% of the stock. Time will tell.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Tencent owns Riot Games who made League of Legends.
    Also 11.5% of Bluehole (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds),
    5% of Ubisoft,
    5% of Blizzard,
    80% of Grinding Gear Games (Path of Exile),
    84.3% of Supercell (Clash of Clans),
    Platinum,
    Yager,
    Frontier,
    Paradox,
    Discord
    and so on

• @auditasum  Jan 27

This is a fun thread.

1. What kind of games are you playing?
    Right now I'm addicted to Animal Crossing New Horizons. I also play Sims 4 which I'm getting disillusioned with because it's missing so much compared to 2 and 3. (Yes, I have spent way too much money on this franchise)

I've always been into computer games. One of my earliest game memories is watching my older cousin playing the Sims 1 and knowing I HAD to have it. As a kid I also played the hell out of Pajama Sam, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and this Carmen Sandiego game.

Filling Strangetown with half-alien babies in the Sims 2. (The best iteration of the Sims). I also have fond-yet-guilty memories of skipping college classes to play Skyrim.

What did you play last?
    Animal Crossing. Lesss than an hour ago.

It good.

Have you made games?
    Nah

I would be but I already have too many hobbies.

Currently jamming out to the ACNH soundtrack. The Sims 2 soundtrack is also classic (Mark Mothersbaugh is King)

• @auditasum  Jan 27

@ianuarius that's good to know about Epic. I have games through Origin and Steam but I'll look at Epic in the future for indie games.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Oh, I just noticed, Epic also has dropped the licensing fees for games built on their Unreal Engine, normally 5% of the revenue. So, if you build a game on UE4 and release it on Steam, Epic takes 5% of the revenue as per their engine licensing contract. But they don't take that 5% out of the copies sold on Epic Store.

• @judypie  Jan 27

Oh you played it non VR huh @kable ? Thats cool, I guess VR didn’t add that much to it but with the headset on and the earphones in, man I was ion another plane I’m sure 😃 One of my first PSVR memories and really showed me how much I was gonna love it! I bow down to you scores! I have no idea where I was on the leaderboard, I don’t once remember checking it actually, I just needed to get through that last fucking level for my own sanity 😃
    Ah man, I’m so jealous you get to play custom maps on Beat Saber! Is there no limit? You can play whatever fucking song you want? I need new material man!!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@auditasum OMG Pajama Sam! I was so delighted that Humongous Entertainment came along right when my kids were little. And yes, they got every game! Putt Putt Joins the Parade, Putt Putt Goes to the Moon, Freddi Fish, Spyfox! It was wonderful to watch my tiny offspring embracing gaming!!!

• @kable  Jan 27

@judypie Thumper is fantastic in VR and not in VR. I've done both, but I perform better non-VR.

There are mods on PC that let Beat Saber load custom songs made by others. On console, well . . . I don't know if it's possible yet on console.

• @yam655  Jan 27

One of the reasons side scrollers disappeared was because "OMG! We can do 3D now! Make it all 3D!!1!1"

It turns out that first-person 3D just isn't always fun. It makes certain types of games possible. It makes other types of games just miserable.

A prime example of this is stuff on the Nintendo where, say, Mario exists in 3D first-person, but the big fun is had in the platformer versions.

I mean, PacMan is a franchise that had no reason to go first-person 3D.

These days, too, we have 3D games which we interact with in a 2D manner. 3D is used so you can zoom and rotate and it all looks good, but nothing about the gameplay actually requires it.

• @auditasum  Jan 27

@johnstaples Pajama Sam was great for kids. All the puzzle-solving. It was my brother's game but I think I played it more than him. I remember playing Starfox at a friend's house too.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@yam655 I remember when my kids spent hours, no, days, weeks, months playing Sonic and other side scrollers. Then Sonic 3D showed up and they were actually disappointed with it as the 3D made it harder to play and didn't add much.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@ianuarius Thanks for the list. I perused it and saw three that I actually paid for over at Steam. Most I didn't recognize but maybe I'm out of touch except for big titles.

I would imagine these days making money from an indie game is a lot like making money from songwriting? Tons of competition and a glut of games/songs already out there. Plus competition for eyes and ears from all other types of media, social networks, etc.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

@johnstaples for sure.

Like with all entertainment, you need three things.

1. Interesting product, because otherwise ppl will skip it
    2. Trendy product, because people don't want something different, they just want the same thing but not quite. RTS wouldn't sell today, but in 90s they were they were super hot
    3. Awareness. You can have an interesting, trendy game that everyone would love to play, but if nobody knows it exists, how can they pay you? So, marketing.

• @judypie  Jan 27

@kable no us console paupers don’t have that privilege man! It’s the only think that makes me want to get a pc! But lord knows I don’t need a pc and that really would be a silly amount of money to drop for one game no matter how much I love it 😁 Still I have my greatest showman and linkin park expansion packs 😁

• @kable  Jan 27

@judypie those Linkin Park tracks are considerably more brutal than pretty much all the other maps. Oh, and I have only played the maps included with the game so far, no custom maps yet, so there's really no difference between console and PC at the moment! The built-in stuff is more than enough to challenge me.

• @judypie  Jan 27

@kable Nothing tops What the Cat 😂 Oh I so wanna play now, it’s been so long! Always takes me a while to get back up to expert mode when I’ve been away for a few weeks tho! I will try make time for a session tonight!

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Man, I just got to thinking all the weird DOS games I played..

like Alley Cat!

or Tank Wars

what about Commander Keen?

Leisure Suit Larry... classic!

Oh my Populous! Peter Molyneux would be proud

Prince of Persia!
    https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/h7Ma3e1I9AvQ46WqqEpsu11xq-0=/31x0:6...(31x0:600x379)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45156450/Screenshot_2015-01-05_6_15_PM.0.0.png

Duck Tales! wow

and who could forget TIM

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@ianuarius Populous was soooooo good! And yes, Larry was always a good time over the years and various versions! I wasted a lot of hours playing TIM!

• @kable  Jan 27

@ianuarius wow, look at that. There's a faint memory I still have of playing The Incredible Machine, but I think it might have been a remake from the 2000's, art style was certainly similar to that screenshot though.

@judypie forgot to even consider the Camellia stuff, must have mentally blocked those from my mind due to the trauma, since the expert difficulty plays more like expert+ right out of the gate.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

Descent

DOOM

Duke Nukem 3D

H.U.R.L.

Heretic

Magic Carpet

Redneck Rampage

System Shock

Wolfenstein 3D

• @seemanski  Jan 27

I looooove to game, my favourite game by far has been Last Of Us 2. I also really enjoyed A Plague Tale and Resident Evil 3.

I have got CyberPunk 2077, I like it but it wasn't worth the hype. I do feel sorry for the developers though.

Does anyone do any online gaming? I'm usually quite an antisocial gamer. Wondered if instead of making beautiful instead we could kill each other, virtually of course.

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

So many FPS games. Remember Rise of the Triad? Or Hexen? Unreal was the bomb! og, not Tournament. And and blood, halflife, red faction... alien v predator, hidden and dangerous, counterstrike beta!, fear, jedi knight 2, og battlefield 1942, yea quake

and Descend reminded me of Terminal Velocity!!

and Incoming

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

also

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

OMG, I STILL load and play F.E.A.R. at least annually! And I am overdue to replay HL2 as well!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@seemanski I have had only bad experiences with online gaming with strangers. Online gaming with FAWMers...hmmm...I'd try that! 😁

• @seemanski  Jan 27

@johnstaples, I'm with you on that. It was the whole reason I stopped playing rocket league. Now I'm stuck in the house all the time, gaming seems like a good way to socialise. My steam and ps4 gamer tag is szymantic_error if anyone wants to add me.

• @seemanski  Jan 27

@ianuarius, Rise of the Triad, that brings me back. I still remember the first games I used to play on my dad's work laptop which was the original Duke Nukem series, the 2D platform. I also recall having Nine Lives on the Atari STe.

I seem to be passing on the mantle to my 5 year old daughter now who is getting into Fall Guys, although she gets very upset when she looses. Which is unfortunately, every time 😞

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

Just hop on to the...

FAWM Discord
    https://discord.gg/9PUGuAq2PC

and start gaming!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

Wing Commander (hours and hours of time on this one!)

Ultima Underworld (I own all the Ultimas but never played them as much as this one!)

Toonstruck

Phantasmagoria

Sam & Max

Star Wars X-Wing

Full Throttle

Dungeon Keeper

Day of the tentacle (recent remake was done so well and I loved playing it again)

A Mind Forever Voyaging (don't even need a screenshot...it was TEXT!)

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

@seemanski Yea, I recently tried to play Rise of the Triad (for thos who don't know, originally meant to be Wolfenstein 2), aaaand it has NOT aged well. 😁 😁 😁

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

@johnstaples I stopped at the DoTT picture like "I KNOW THAT ONE"... but then realized I only knew it because I worked on a point and click game.
    https://twitter.com/SplittownGame

• @seemanski  Jan 27

@ianuarius, on my way. See you in discordland 😀

• @jeustan  Jan 27

@johnstaples Oh man, Day of the Tentacle! That brings back some sweet memories.

"Great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilet's backing up."

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@ianuarius I remember you talking about that game! The artwork is really awesome. Really brings back wonderful LucasArts memories!

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@jeustan it is such a great game! I recently bought and played the remastered version from GOG! https://www.gog.com/game/day_of_the_tentacle_remastered

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@ianuarius I know what you mean! I recently installed some of my old games like Ultima Underworld and...OMG...my memories of the graphics are so much better than the actual graphics!

• @jeustan  Jan 27

I spent way too much time replaying Total Annihilation when I saw that on GOG. Good times.

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

Any Ron Gilbert fans here? If so did you play the recent Thimbleweed Park? And what did you think? I enjoyed it especially for the nostalgic value but don't think I'd replay it.

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

Whoa even more stuff to talk about! Where do I even begin??! (really my favorite thread!)
    @auditasum Animal Crossing saved me. I'm curious - what keeps you playing still? Is it your sheer love for everything about it? Or something more specific, like you're still trying to meet a specific goal (getting island just the way you want, paying off final loan, getting specific items/islanders, etc)?
    I'm very sad that I've lost interest...even with the scuba update and other stuff they add. And I'm always glad to hear when people say they are still loving and totally still into it - it makes me feel...good for whatever reason. Its like an old friend that I don't keep in touch with anymore, but I'm always glad to hear they are doing well and that other people are still calling them up regularly lol

• @ianuarius  Jan 27

By the way, I have extra steam codes to these games. If you want something, tag me (@IA) on discord or slack.

Age of Wonders III
    ARMA Gold Edition
    Armello
    Beat Hazard Ultra
    BioShock™ Remastered
    Company of Heroes 2
    Deep Dungeons of Doom
    DreadOut
    Duck Game
    Eastside Hockey Manager
    Endless Space® - Collection
    FTL
    Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
    Garry's Mod
    Gonner
    Gunpoint
    Guns of Icarus Online
    Hand of Fate
    Headlander
    Home
    Human Resource Machine
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, The
    Kholat
    Kingdom
    Lakeview Cabin Collection
    Magicka
    Mini Metro
    MirrorMoon EP
    Mushroom 11
    New Beginning, A - Final Cut
    No Time To Explain Remastered
    Overgrowth
    Pony Island
    Primal Carnage: Extinction
    Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
    Resident Evil something
    Rust (Early Access)
    Sanctum 2
    Scanner Sombre
    Screencheat
    Shadowrun Returns
    Sniper Elite V2
    Spec Ops: The Line
    SpeedRunners
    Spirits
    Starbound
    Story About My Uncle, A
    Strider
    Super Time Force Ultra
    Surviving Mars
    Swapper, The
    System Shock 2
    System Shock: Enhanced Edition
    Teslagrad
    Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
    Tomb Raider (2013)
    Tower of Guns
    Virus Named Tom, A
    Jotun: Valhalla Edition

• @blueone  Jan 27

Big ol' JRPG fan here. I spent hundreds of hours last year firing through a load of them:

Dragon Quest XI
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy X
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Atelier Ryza
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Tales of Vesperia

Also managed to get a bit of time in with the new Animal Crossing, but I burnt out on it at about 40 hours. I keep intending to revisit!

• @splittybooms  Jan 27

@blueone I want to get into Xenoblade, Tales, and Fire Emblem (my only knowledge is from Smash). Where do you recommend I start?

• @carleybaer  Jan 27

@ianuarius I played so much Commander Keen! There was a sequel too, with farting slugs. Played a lot of that.

Come to think of it, we had a bunch of weird games like that growing up, like Jazz Jackrabbit and Jill of the Jungle... anyone? Anyone?

• @johnstaples  Jan 27

@carleybaer OMG, YES to Jazz Jackrabbit!

• @yam655  Jan 27

Speaking of farming games...

On Kickstarter I'm backing a farming JRPG called "Sunnyside." It features graphics that a bit more realistic. It has 8 days left, and it has met the primary funding goal, so it is definitely happening. (Now they're working on stretch goals.) They're also planning for PC as well as console release. (They're using Unreal Engine 4, which makes this straight-forward..)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rainygames/sunnyside-open-worl...

• @yam655  Jan 27

@carleybaer I played some Commander Keen as well as Jill of the Jungle. I never played any of the sequels, though, as we only had the Shareware levels.

Hmm... Is the modern adware better or worse than shareware? In some ways I think it is better, but all the microtransactions make it feel so much worse.

• @blueone  Jan 27

@splittybooms The truth is you can't really go wrong with those 3, but I would suggest Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition as a good starting point, especially if you love big, epic stories.

I was less enamoured with Fire Emblem as the bulk of the game takes place in a single location, with the rest made up of tactical turn-based battles. It's also unashamedly a dating simulator. It's got a massive cult following though, so it must do a lot of things right, it just wasn't ultimately my cup of JRPG tea!

Tales is a solid little game. Not genre-defining like the 2 above, but it has its moments and it is *fun*.

• @kable  Jan 28

@splittybooms having only ever played the mobile version of Fire Emblem (Heroes), I can only conclude one thing: THAT game is most certainly NOT the one you should play. It looks like Shadow Dragon could be good, or Awakening on the 3DS. Three Houses for the Switch was also received quite well, so maybe you should just pick the FE game for the console you own.

• @loopingstar  Jan 28

Mostly Racers these days , some Forza on Xbox or Mario Kart on the Switch.

About 1978 / 79 probably. I remember playing Atari’s Nightdriver at a seaside arcade.I was hooked !

All night game sessions with mates back in the late 90’s on the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation . Great times .

What did you play last?
    Fuser

It’s good fun , although really more of a DJ mixing tool than a game .

• @chasingandromeda  Jan 28

---

• @jackdawfactories  Jan 28

- What kind of games are you playing?
    Currently playing the HECK out of Hades, Hitman 3 and Dicey Dungeons. Also have a chronic Destiny problem.

- When did you start gaming?
    God. Early 90s somewhere!

- What are your favorite gaming memories?
    I distinctly remember the first time I ever made it past Metropolis Zone in Sonic 2 because I was told to turn off the console for a while and I begged to keep going! Other than that I've met dear, dear friends through gaming and it's helped me get through a lot.

- What did you play last?
    Last game I finished was River City Girls.

- What did you think of it?
    It's really fun! Classic beat-'em-up stuff but with a cute exterior and a dumb sense of humour.

- Have you made games?
    No, but I have this idea...

- Are you interested in game development?
    Very much.

- What's your favorite game soundtrack?
    This is a very hard question! I genuinely believe that I'm only a musician because of how much I loved the music of Sonic 1-&K, extremely formative for me. More recently No Man's Sky, Doom 2016 and Destiny 2.

• @dasbinky  Jan 28

@chasingandromeda My 17-year old recently played through an hour or two of Leisure Suit Larry as part of a "retro challenge" and his take was "the fact that this was popular is a pretty searing indictment of your generation", and I can't argue against that point with any real conviction. 😉

• @rahkoi Jan 28

Heh, been planning on playing some Leisure Suit Larry myself soon with a friend, since she remembers playing those with her dad when she was like 8 and she wants to see with her own, adult eyes what kind of stuff was she exposed to at such a young age 😁

More generally, I play mainly RPGs and Player v. Player games of different stripes. For the last 1,5 years, I've mainly just been playing Smite, which is a MOBA (think League of Legends or DOTA), except 3rd person and all the characters are either ancient gods or mythological figures of some stripe. I tend to be a very social gamer, so I mainly play stuff I can play with my friends and rather rarely end up playing singleplayer games (I want more co-op RPGs, a'la Divinity: Original Sins, please. Still waiting on Baldur's Gate 3 to be properly finished before I dig into that)

I started gaming in 1995, when I played Command & Conquer at a friend's place. I guess I'd played other games with friends before that, but that was the one that made me go all, "I want my own PC so I can buy Command and Conquer".

A lot of my favorite memories come from World of Warcraft I suppose. It's now been years since I last played it, but my guild from that game is still my primary social circle and we've kept in touch despite not having a singular game we're all invested in.

• @ianuarius  Jan 28

I remember we played LSL1 on my cousins old-ass PC during my aunt's birthday party or something. You know, all adults in the livingroom, kids in a dingy bedroom playing games.

I never got into point-and-click games, because my English sucked hard. I only started to get into it more watching movies without subtitles when I was 16 or something.

• @chasingandromeda  Jan 28

---

• @splittybooms  Jan 29

@rahkoi Command & Conquer!!! Good grief...the HOURS.
    I've never been very good at any of them, always took me so many attempts at just about every level after the first couple. Red Alert 2 is my all-time fav.
    You ever play Dune 1 or 2? That was my intro to RTS games, as I peered over the should of an older cousin while he swore at the screen when he got his infantry eaten by sandworms.

• @splittybooms  Jan 29

@ianuarius I'm bad Discord. I clicked on your link, but....there's a lot of STUFF once I'm all logged in and I dunno what's what or where's where... I use Discord, but just for voice chat when playing games with friends.

• @ianuarius  Jan 29

@splittybooms on discord I always just find a general channel and start typing the first thing that comes to mind. I'm annoying like that 😁

• @rahkoi Jan 29

@splittybooms
    My first experience ever playing Command & Conquer was running my entire infantry unit into tiberium and watching in dismay as they melted away, so I relate to your cousin!

I did play little bit of Dune 2 I recall. Played a whole bunch of RTS's, both classics and slightly more forgettable ones. Recall loving Total Annihilation series in particular and of course Warcraft 1 & 2.I think the anticipation for Warcraft 3 was the biggest hype for a video game I've ever experienced.

• @ianuarius  Jan 29

@rahkoi Oh my god Warcraft 3! I waited that game for so long because Warcraft 2 was so insanely good. And they kept delaying year and another year and again. And then I didn't really even like it. 😁 I wanted boats. At least boats! Goddammit. And I didn't like the cutscenes or the hero units or the look of the game when I think about it. Or the story.

I've been meaning to start making a modern Warcraft 2 type of game. Maybe one day.

• @auditasum  Jan 30

@splittybooms I've only been playing Animal Crossing for about a month, so I'm sure my interest will wane at some point. I'm into collecting in games, so once I get stuff how I want it I'll probably take a while collecting all the art, nookpoints, villager portraits, etc. I think it's going to take a long time for me to get my island how I want it, though. Plus I created a second profile so I can build another house and decorate it as a bed & breakfast. I also have a third and fourth character in mind when I get bored with that. So yeah, it'll be a while.

• @apophony  Feb 1

@ianuarius WHOA stunts! <3

Currently Hitman 3, stealth / action usually.

Sometime in the late 80s. DOS.

Unreal Tournament - Facing worlds instagib. A thing of beauty. Playing Halo CE on OG XBOX over gamespy, before xbox live.

What did you play last?
    Hitman 3, still playing.

Great game, It's more of an expansion to Hitman 1/2. But it plays well and really hits a crescendo to the series.

• @ianuarius  Feb 2

Yea I remember facing worlds insta gib. Memorable if nothing else. 😁

• @vomvorton  Feb 9

Sometime FAWMer @fineexcuses has released a game recently! I'm sure people are short on time for this sort of thing at the moment but I'm looking forward to giving it a go when I get some time, thought it might interest others...

https://argotbertha.itch.io/south-cliff

• @pbtaylorjr Feb 9

WoW, ESO, R6 Siege, Rocket League, NHL/Madden/FIFA 21’s, PGA2K21, Warhammer Vermintide 2.

Before I can remember. Fairly certain no later than 1993.

Feeling emotionally invested in the nonexistent epic story of Sonic 3 / & Knuckles. Shooting or punching my friends in various games through the years - Army Men, WCW/NWO Revenge, Quake 2/3, Wolfenstein ET.

What did you play last?
    WoW most of the day yesterday with ESO daily writs right before bed. Last game with an ending that I actually completed was probably The Last of Us 2.

Brutal

Have you made games?
    Sort of. Low level demo type stuff while trying to make something more grandiose but having no vision and attention issues/a lack of discipline.

Yes, I would love to make a deep lore fantasy game or a fun arcade style sports experience without all the fluff and microtransactions and other bullpoo.

I am not sure of a favorite but some much beloved and memorable tunes: All the sonic games on Sega Genesis, some Megaman games from NES, JRPG’s generally speaking but definitely Persona 5 and FF XIII.

• @vxi Feb 9

Oh a gaming thread. This I like 😮 this is one of my guilty pleasures. Grew up playing everything from Super Mario, Diablo, Command and Conquer, and tons of puzzle solvers and adventure games. I could go on for hours, really. Though sadly I don`t have as much time as I used to, so I don`t play so much anymore. But when I do....

These days I mostly play casual online games like: Overwatch, Starcraft, and Doom Eternal (which has a wicked OST). Used to play some SWTOR, back in the day. Also played some modern singleplayer games like Dishonored 1+2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Skyrim, and The Outer Worlds.

Somewhere in the 80`s. When games started having more than 4 pixels.

Playing Counter Strike with friends, back when it was just a Half Life mod. And yes, beer might have been involved, and we were all toxic AF. Id like to think we still are. Good times.

What did you play last?

Overwatch.

Had a few good rounds. Ganked me some fools, and got yelled at by a little boy. Since I am old enough to be his father, I handheld the situation any adult would, by calling him names and getting him killed.

Definitely. As it is the apex of the future entertainment industry. Id be down for working on a soundtrack.

Too many to mention. Though if push came to shove, id say: Doom, Quake, Phantasmagoria, Sanitarium, Chrono Trigger, Space Quest, Sonic, Super Mario.

• @johnstaples  Feb 10

Just got Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Digital for PC at gog.com for $11.99! Regular price $59.99!

And even though I played The New Order and The Old Blood some time ago I also bought them today in the Wolfenstein: The Two Pack for $8.99!

If you are a Wolfenstein fan you should grab these while these are on sale!

• @scottlake Feb 10

My sister is a studio singer and she is the soprano of n Battlefield 5. She records at Ocean Way in Nashville. The game I am currently playing is Scrabble Go on iOS. I play in the classic mode because they have nearly ruined the game altogether with jewels and prizes and unicorns. My son crushed me by over100 pts a couple days ago. The last RPG for me was Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II. That game’s claim to fame was it had a waveform of a death scream programmed into ram that would activate when you shot an SS. The earth’s crust was nearly cooled at the time.

• @celineellis  Feb 10

why have i not seen this already?!? Playstation gamer, currently still on PS4 because i'm not paying double for a PS5 and I have far too many music items to buy!

Ive just platinum'd AC Valhalla so am back to Elder Scrolls Online which is my staple. Im torn between starting a new AC Odyssey or RDR2 campaign.

• @ianuarius  8 weeks

Join the gaming channel on the FAWM slack
    https://fawm.slack.com/archives/C01MYCVV60K

• @mardeycranbleson 8 weeks

Actually I was planning to in case of emergency just write all songs about GTA 5. Before I had heard of fawm when I did RPM I did this for a few decent songs that turned out ok.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...