Thanks, I Hate It Challenge

Skip to the bottom

• @drivelmonk  Jan 25

This could go a ton of different directions, but the concept is pretty simple: embrace an aspect of music creation/production you hate and use it for a song.

Example:

1. You absolutely hate the chorus effect on guitar? Chorus it up.
    2. Do you have a synth that has just the worst, cheesiest preset that you can't stand? Well, it's your best friend for a song.
    3. Are you a vehement opponent of pitch correction? The millennial "whoop"? A specific music genre? Give it a big ol' hug.

If I do this, it would be to make a song with the reggaetón beat. (Think Despacito or The Shape of You). I've liked it in some uses, but it mostly makes me anxious. It's lurching, tripping-forward momentum is all build-up and no release for me--the rhythmic equivalent of never returning to the tonic...for a whole dang song.

If you undertook this challenge, what would yours be?

• @fuzzy  Jan 25

Great idea.
    Know what I hate?
    That pervasive "THUMPTHUMPTHUMPATHUMP" looping beat in a lot of modern Top 40 songs.
    Like a drill in my brain.
    But I could use it for a challenge.

• @siebass  Jan 25

@drivelmonk Vuvuzela sidechained to Gilbert Gottfreid whining for a dubstep song. Death...to...the...wub-wub-wub-world....

• @lastnightilie Jan 29

Well there are certain genres I don't like which I could use, but in terms of general songwriting I can't stand excessive use of major 7ths. I feel like a lot of beginner songwriter/guitarists do this because they think it makes their songs more interesting than standard major and minor chords, and by the end of an open mic night I'm like, *cannot. hear. another. major 7th*. That's actually a pretty good challenge for me!

• @candle  Jan 29

I'm with @fuzzy on the endless looping rhtythm of pop songs. I mean, If I hear one more song that's just Boom-Ching-Boom-Ching-Boom-Ching I'm gonna lose it (like The Champ -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwuXg6K4YHe4S9T7_3Cw7Ag ).

See You In The Shadows…

• @aflinner  Jan 29

I, on the other hand, love major 7th chords. 😀 Nothing comes to mind offhand, but I really like the idea of this challenge. Might have to come back to it before the end of Feb.

• @lastnightilie Jan 29

@aflinner yes, it does seem like I'm in the minority on this judging by my listening experience!

• @iwilleatyou Jan 30

I fucking hate rap/hip-hop post 1989. Time to go gangsta. Not. Half those clowns weren't even gangsta haha.

• @candle  Jan 30

@iwilleatyou, I hear ya. Public Enemy is one of my all-time favourite bands (if you can believe that). Gangsta killed Rap.

See You In The Shadows…

• @iwilleatyou Jan 30

@candle Bring the noize!! One of the best.

• @candle  Jan 30

@iwilleatyou, yes especially the version with Anthrax. Apocalypse 91... The Enemy Strikes Black is probably my favourite PE album.

See You In The Shadows…

• @glasscrow Jan 30

I'll just sing something a capella because I hate the sound of my voice hahaha

• @majordanby  Jan 30

@iwilleatyou I would agree with this, but would add another decade. There’s some gold out there you’ve missed!
    I always thought ‘Candy Rappers’ would be a good name for a hip hop song. Feel free to use if you like.
    I also came up with a line that went something like, “This candy rapper couldn’t school me, tried to hit me with a brick. I hit him so hard I made his iPod skip”. 😂

• @nadine Feb 4

Worked on a rnb pop song today... and used the kind of sounds I do not want to listen anymore: Jungle house bass and trap hihats. If there were some vocals I'd use massive autotune. I tagged it as #ihateit .

• @francessmith Feb 4

This is a great idea, but I'm not doing a song with mlllennial whoops..........🥴.............🥴............🧐.

• @ustaknow Feb 4

😀

• @drivelmonk  Feb 5

Came back to this after first posting it and I'm happy to see so many awesome ideas.

• @persaab Feb 5

Aaargh too hard for me. I guess I hate pop music and ballads. I hate my vocals. I hate more when its singed in finnish. This would be torture. Count me out. 😁

• @mariekevinkmusic  Feb 5

Saxophones. Bin them. They ruined the 80s. They are only good in jazz. But I also don't like jazz.

• @drivelmonk  Feb 5

@mariekevinkmusic It's funny. My wife absolutely adores a big cheesy 80's sax in a pop song. I like it myself, but I can admit it's a little cheesy. She's 100% sold on it. My best friend, he absolutely hates them for the same reasons you do. He'd only want them in a song if they were used in the most -non-traditional ways possible as to be basically unrecognizable.

I ended up buying a sax to learn and impress my wife, haha.

@drivelmonk I mean, Amy Winehouse's album Back to Black is a good example of the correct use of a saxophone. Especially the baritone sax. It's just not being used properly so best not use it at all. But I don't want to turn this into a nuanced discussion about the sax. There is no place for nuance here!

• @drivelmonk  Feb 5

@mariekevinkmusic To hell with nuance, I say! I just find people's extreme likes and dislikes super fascinating, hence my creation of this challenge! 😀

@drivelmonk It is 2021. Nobody does nuance anymore. We need to move with the times. Black and white is where it is at. Saxophones are ALL bad. ALWAYS.

• @ineloquentsd  Feb 5

Oh man. I was just thinking about how much I hate the idea of using MIDIs for instruments I can theoretically play. They are unfortunately my only option with my wrist currently out of commission. Guess I better take this challenge and embrace it!

• @devinhill Feb 10

Interesting challenge. I wonder what I could do. I absolutely hate drop tunings on guitar and I hate repetition in songs, and I hate the "4 chord song" (songs with the chords C G Am F and the equivalents in other keys), gosh it turns out I have a lot of dislikes haha

• @colgoo Feb 10

What about embracing a part of the song writing process you hate or avoid? For me, it’s the technological aspect of recording multiple tracks....Yeah, I know it can bring my songs to the next level, but using electronic beats, matching up vocals to the track, etc. are an absolute nightmare!

• @reklov  Feb 11

I HATE dance music so much - so I did some ...with acoustic instruments only. This new genre is called "Acoustoclash".
    https://fawm.org/songs/116621/

• @papaooo Feb 12

Oh, come on, I gotta do a song for oboe, bassoon, and soprano sax? With a reggae bass line? And it's gotta be like "Wagon Wheel?" AAAAAaaaagggghhhhh!

Other than that, killer prompt.

• @laotranati Feb 17

I did a "reggaeton", here it is. I even used a little autotune
    https://fawm.org/songs/119025/

I'm going to take a shower to feel clean again 😝

• @willow1 Feb 18

I hate playing guitar, I hate using a metronome and and multi tracking and for some reason I became Salad fingers in this recording. Fun challenge!
    https://fawm.org/songs/119347/

• @mardeycranbleson Feb 20

Thanks, I truly did hate this! https://fawm.org/songs/119995/

• @auditasum  Feb 21

Well, I hate mixing, but spending huge amounts of time over-mixing seems counterproductive to FAWM. 😁

@drivelmonk and @mariekevinkmusic, I also hate the cheesy sax solo. Unfortunately none of us who hate the sax can play the sax and thus meet this challenge.

• @siebass  Mar 1

I have created the beast...it is my greatest joy, and also my greatest shame.

https://fawm.org/songs/125036/

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...