Shoes for Drumming?

Skip to the bottom

• @cblack Jan 25

I need new shoes, and these will be the first pair I've bought since buying my e-drums. I so far only play barefoot or with socks, but would like to make sure I have the option of playing with shoes.

So... What type should I get? I have a double pedal (Tama Speed Cobra 310) designed for speed (but is not officially a longboard, I think). I want to play fast and intricate sometimes, but with control. Obviously a lot of that comes down to skill, but it's something to keep in mind.

So, recommendations please! And thanks in advance. πŸ˜€

Sneakers?
    Loafers?
    Rigid sole?
    Flexible sole?
    Weight?
    Full-on PVC goth stomper boots with spikes? 😁

Just don't suggest high heels. I can never find any in my size. πŸ˜‰

• @cblack Jan 25

Found the perfect pair of gothic boots! But they cost $475.

*dies a little on the inside*

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 25

I play in ASICS GT-2000 6.... I guess just cos they’re my most comfortable shoes.

• @guatecoop  Jan 25

I love converse all stars. The sole allows for me to feel what I’m doing. This topic is actually important! I think footwear definitely affects playing.

• @zecoop  Jan 25

Definitely Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars for me. The thinner sole give me good feel for the pedals. Of course, I would say Chuck Taylors are the perfect shoes for a whole lot of things. πŸ˜‰

• @cblack Jan 25

So a thin sole helps with control then?

• @ustaknow Jan 25

- Socks, or bare footed

However, I've noticed these, what I call "Wet Suite" shoes (design borrow), they are comeng out with more, - I see sometimes called "Driving Shoes". It's a thin yet firm bottom which provide support and yet good pedal control and the tops can be anything, - many look like a tight "wool-like" top like a heavy, firm sock. (So, comfortable, not really for "walking", so to speak)

I've drummed in everything from loafers to heavy cleat hiking boots and they all work. I think just being comfortable is the thing. Like Sticks? Me, I wind up with the largest (Metal?, length, weight, diameter) but have far lighter, "weighted", and even those bamboo bundles, and broom sweep bottoms and brushes. So, it all, depends...

And, my stool hight ? (effects all this too and changes), -- it has more than doubled in height, -- feet not hanging, but not low and flat footed. I think sometimes one might lower the stool as the night draws on and get more flat footed to protect the/your Back, -- and that all does effect if I shed my shoes.

Hahhh, but, I'm going from memory on all that, that just came to mind. I'm not really a drummer, just know how. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 25

@cblack - *I* think so, but I am sure it is a personal preference thing. It is hard for me to have any kind of sensitive touch on the kick drum pedal with thick soled shoes.

• @hornesgiftshop  Jan 25

Shoes For Drumming is an 80s band name if ever I heard one. Pale and slightly fleshy white boys from Leamington Spa, originally a school punk band called Nit Nurse, who added two spare percussionists and professed a deep love for Nigerian juju funk that was never noticeable in their two singles, both of which reached no.203 in the charts (although the second single, 'Dial Me, Defile Me' went top 20 in Ireland.)

• @dasbinky  Jan 25

If you're used to barefoot, Chuck Taylor's are probably your best bet. I just use my regular sneakers, since I understand their feel best. I think as long as they don't fall off or inhibit your movement, you're fine.

• @outinpublicdrummer  Jan 25

I usually just use my Nike running shoes, but I did a few studio sessions in heeled boots and that was honestly the coolest feeling

• @fuzzy  Jan 25

lol @hornesgiftshop

• @ianuarius  Jan 25

Barefoot. Naturally.

• @rockstarsmd  Jan 25

Neil Peart swore by dancing shoes.... makes sense when you think about how his feet danced across his various pedals!

• @siebass  Jan 25

@cblack if it won't offend anyone or the venue, I definitely go for barefoot (RAWK!). Otherwise I just use my comfy going-out sneakers, usually puma's or vans. Dunno what is "best" though. Probably best if it's what you are comfortable wearing?

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 25

I'm in the barefoot camp too, so as others stated if I've had to wear shoes I've found Chucks or even some wrestling shoes adequate due to their thinness.

I bet those toed running ninja looking shoes would work nicely for me too.

@hornesgiftshop Dial Me, Defile Me was my jam!!! haha lol Nigerian juju funk 😁

• @cblack Jan 25

I actually prefer socks, but mostly play barefoot because I'm lazy and wasn't already wearing socks when I got in the mood. 😝

Okay, I'll try to find some Converse All-Stars in local shops, see how they feel. I have to buy in-person because I have high arches AND wide feet, so most shoes "my size" still don't even fit properly.

Whatever I'm most comfortable with, yes. Just wanted to know whether to go rigid or flexible sole, thin or thick, etc. so I have some idea of what to look for.

Thanks all!

• @phlex Jan 26

Here's some advice I thought was interesting!
    https://youtu.be/8pFysHHLM08?t=3075

'Purdie' suggests wearing leather soled shoes - so you can be free to soar.

I personally either play barefoot or with sneakers! Leather soled shoes just felt strange.

• @aflinner  Jan 26

I don’t wear shoes inside at home, so mainly socks for me now. Although I do like β€œskater” type shoes like Vans while working the pedals...makes sense I think, since those are made for working boards. πŸ‘ŸπŸ›Ή

• @sonicdeatheagle  Jan 26

Chucks are good. I bought some Merrell Trail Glove 5's for running, but they're great for drumming, too. "Barefoot" running shoes, y'know?

• @steffan  Jan 26

I used to go barefoot, but sometimes I'd get blisters...
    sooooo skateboard shoes. There's two different kinds, vulc and cupsole. Vulc are designed to be more flexible and allow you to feel the board under your feet better... Perfect for kick drum pedal, too!

• @rshakesp  Jan 26

All stars are not good for wide feet - how about some bowling shoes?

• @cblack Jan 26

Well, these shoes will be for daily use and not just drumming, so that's a no on bowling shoes.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 26

@cblack a good pair of some skater shoes would probably do you nicely then. I have high arches and wide feet too, why I've never liked Chucks for daily wear. Puma Classics have a nice gripped but flexible sole. I work in them a lot being up and down ladders and on some inclined roofs and such. I had to try them out drumming after reading this thread and they didn't feel too bad, but I'm fully used to being barefoot.

• @cblack Jan 26

Skater, gotcha. I've honestly never tried Converse before. Found a couple stores nearby that stock them. May check them out tomorrow.

More expensive than I usually buy, by an order of 3 or 4. But eh...

• @cblack Jan 28

Bought some Converse All-Stars. They feel okay on drums, but more importantly they feel great for general use. Possibly the best shoes I've ever worn, though that's based on maybe 2 hours of use... But still. Very comfy.

So thank you to everyone who mentioned the Converse All-Stars!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...