Make up new genres

Skip to the bottom

• @pifie Jan 22

Let's make up whatever new musical genres we can think of...
    If you can think of it...maybe some of us can make those happen!

#MongolianFunk : Overtone throat singing over funk

#BagualaHop : Rapping with lots of reverb and echo, accompanied only with bare percussion. The topics are mostly being lonely, and drinking.

#Electro-smog : Lo-fi delta blues over minimal electronic beats

#CloseField : All acoustic instruments, played at the lowest playing volume possible, as well as vocals, recorded with the mic super close.

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

Blorpstep : a subgenre of Dubstep, made by recording the sounds of jello falling from the table when the bass drops in a Skrillex song. Don't ask me how they do it; I think they use lots of side chain compression.

• @spikedirection  Jan 22

@pifie think my whole output last year was Electro-smog 🤣

Burpcore. Hard house made entirely from sampled belching

Toypop. Pop music played on toy instruments.

• @ianuarius  Jan 22

Shaolin Polka. It's exactly what it sounds like.

• @elesimo  Jan 22

Nihilistic Ambient: ambient music made exclusively from field recordings of silences — funerals, empty churches, and awkward silences in first dates.

• @blueone  Jan 22

Popposite - instruments are played exclusively with your non-dominant hand

• @mdavisto  Jan 22

Metal Polka. Think about it. It'd be amazing.

• @fuzzy  Jan 22

@elesimo; what a great idea. I might actually use that this FAWM.

• @fuzzy  Jan 22

Fumblecore - music constucted from sound samples of people accidentally dropping things and then swearing.

• @candle  Jan 22

@fuzzy - I almost expect one Fumblecore song from you now 😉

@mdavisto - metal in 3/4 with accordions, why not? Sounds awesome. The lyrics would have to be in Polish

Ok, my contribution: Slothcore - very slow (like 20 - 40bpm) , dirty & with long pauses to simulate naps. Perfect music for that overworked college/university student in your life.

See You In The Shadows…

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 22

@fuzzy I would listen to Fumblecore and its sub genres of people falling down stairs/slipping on ice/etc

Smash - big compilation of recordings of instruments being broken while played.....I've heard plenty of guitar and piano death throes, but am curious about others 😁

• @woodhornhank  Jan 22

A cappella black metal : This genre is characterized by atonal melodies,complicated rhythm and harmony, and aggressive stage performance.There is usually five baritones ,but tenors and sopranos are not uncommon.One A cappella black metal group even has a boy soprano as a soloist.

• @elesimo  Jan 22

We should tag our songs with #made-up-genre if we use any of these... I'd love to try making a slothcore song! 😀

• @fuzzy  Jan 22

Yeah, #slothcore for the win.

• @sailingmagpie  Jan 22

Wavewave - 80s synth inspired recordings of the sea

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 22

I particularly like the long pauses for naps being an essential part of slothcore I think I'll go with a cross genre with Nihilistic Ambient filling in the pauses 😁

• @aeye Jan 22

HatCore - nothing but hi hats! ALL HI HATS. Every sound is a pitch shifted hi hat. Pads? Made from hats. Synths? yup hats! etc

• @metalfoot  Jan 22

Bongotar metal, in which all percussion is played on the body of acoustic guitars but otherwise it's heavy metal.

• @elesimo  Jan 22

@dzdandcunfsd that is pure genius!

• @ustaknow Jan 22

Interesting 😀

• @ustaknow Jan 22

FAWMtronica 😀
    https://fawm.org/forums/topic/11054/

Right there, so easy!

• @aeye Jan 22

Apathetica - IDGAF just do what you want (lol)

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 22

@aeye I think I've been making Apathetica my whole life hahahah

I like Hatcore too 😁 I might give that one a whirl even if I keep it to myself haha

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 22

@metalfoot all the throaty screams come from mic'd acoustics being screamed into as well?

• @dragondreams  Jan 22

Warpcore - just dump it to get out of trouble with hostile extraterrestrials.

• @aeye Jan 22

@dzdandcunfsd If you do it I'd be curious to see how it turns out haha

• @yam655  Jan 22

@woodhornhank If there is "a cappella black metal", then there must also be "lo-fi a cappella black metal". This genre is characterized by atonal melodies,rhythm and harmony complicated by forgetfulness, plugins instead of additional singers, and layers of unclean room noise.

I think I just found what type of metal I'll be singing this year.

• @candle  Jan 22

I guess that means I have to make a #slothcore track, just like I challeneged @fuzzy to make a #fumblecore track. My list of challeneges this FAWM keeps getting longer. 😁

Wait, I just got an idea: a #slothcore/ #fumblecore/ #nihilisticambient fusion where the nap movements are caused by a fumble & then filled in with field recorded silence. Ok, this one needs a genre name unto itself…

SFNA… nah, too obvious & modern…
    Progressive Slothfumble… maybe?

Also +1 on #hatcore. I might have to try that one out as well.

See You In The Shadows…

• @yam655  Jan 22

I'm also going to do some "close field". I'll be tagging it #close-field with a hyphen.

kitchen-core - Spoken poetry over rhythmic clattering of pots, pans, and other things not normally considered musical instruments.

• @complexissimple Jan 22

I want Mongolian funk, metal polka, and a cappella black metal in my life.

May I suggest a variant on Smash which is performed live by smashing a whole bunch of instruments in succession/harmony? Composing music for Smash orchestras could be a whole new art form - you might need to come up with new words for different destruction techniques.

I don't know what I would call it, but I've long wished there was a genre of hip-hop constructed from records of classical symphonies, opera singers, choral singing, street organs, and music boxes. Even better if any additional percussion is clockwork, typewriters, factory noises, etc.

• @fuzzy  Jan 22

SO MANY GREAT IDEAS.
    #slothcore #nihilisticambient #kitchencore #hatcore

• @candle  Jan 23

I might have started on a #slothcore / #hatcore / #fumblecore song tonight in Buzz. I couldn't help myself…🤫

See You In The Shadows…

• @swampjaw  Jan 23

#KYpop -- like K Pop, but sexy.

Wait a minute, that's just KPop. Nevermind.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 23

@complexissimple Would just get ridiculously expensive especially if rehearsals were involved hahah, but a great use for all the cheapo knockoff instruments flooding the market now. Hmmm anyone have an electric upright bass to donate? I bet that makes a nice death rumble 😁

I started a project recording a bunch of power tools, but got bored with it, though I did get a few good recordings of some saws and such.

@candle I probably will later myself hahaha. I already setup an e-kit preset for #hatcore some reversed, some pitched way down/way up I'm sure I'll do something with that as well, especially once new pedal gets here it'll be perfect for that with a lot of its time warp and octave shifts.

• @candle  Jan 23

Oh jeez, that'll be nuts, @dzdandcunfsd. I can't wait to hear it!

See You In The Shadows…

• @pifie Jan 23

@swampjaw I read that as sounding more like suicidal korean pop... interdasting

@complexissimple I think this qualifies... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd7ySopIwog

@yam655 great! the more disturbing the lyrics and compressor ratio the better, I suppose! I wonder if one can record electric instruments that way

#hatcore has some Gamelan music influences there!

@sailingmagpie that sounds a lot like Seapunk!

#slothcore reminds me of the band Earth quite a lot

Other ideas:

#UnintentionalProg : Run-of-the-mill 4-chord songs in which at each turn, a bar is added featuring a random chord each time.

#Hollow : Music where you cannot play 5ths or 4ths to fill up chords.

#AdultOrientedLullabies (AOL) : Children's songs that talk about subjects completely unfitting for children (politics, death, taxes, divorces...)

#PreAd : Jingle music for impossible or yet not-even-conceived products

#ASAP : Starts right into the chorus, singing, then one verse, then repeats the chorus and ends abruptily. No fade ins or outs allowed, no intros or outros.

#CulturalAppropiation : Folk from another country, heard superficially, and copied using a language unfitting for it, with a blatant disregard to the roots of it. The least population the country, the better.

• @elesimo  Jan 23

#UnintentionalProg is fantastic, I'm definitely going to use it

• @tseaver  Jan 23

#CountryAndEastern: write country songs, but you can't use any traditional "Western" instruments.

• @cblack Jan 23

Umm... I did black metal a capella for an entire FAWM one year already... I didn't have the means for recording instruments and had not yet gone digital. It was actually well-received! Will definitely do at least 1 black metal a capella track this year, now that my vocals have progressed. 😀

Also gonna have to do hatcore. I have e-drums now, so I might create a custom kit with every pad assigned a different hat sample. Should be fun!

(Incidentally, what is the correct tagging of a capella?)

• @cblack Jan 23

Actually, the black metal a capella might've been 50/90... Can't remember. I do remember doing a 4-second challenge, which went something like:

They'll kill you all
    And eat your planet!
    Tyranids, Tyranids roar!

• @candle  Jan 23

Ok, I might have gone overboard on this. It's #slothcore / #fumblecore / #hatcore / #nihilisticambience all wrapped into one track & built in Jeskola Buzz. 20bpm with only Hi-Hats, a sample of a subway station in Paris, France, samples of a dropped microphone & can, as well as a couple of samples of a man (almost) swearing. Those are the only sound sources. Enjoy.

https://candle.bandcamp.com/album/slothfumble

See You In The Shadows…

• @airbagtester  Jan 23

@pifie #UnintentionalProg A drummer I played with used to suggest something like that sometimes, "add an extra bar there" or "do that part an odd number of times and this part an even number." And then he would go off into some other time signature where I had to just ignore it and he would magically come back on the 1 somehow. Voodoo magic!

• @toms  Jan 23

Baby Blues, blues songs made entirely using sounds made by babies. 😀

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 23

@candle that's great! I picture the sloth playing some slothmetal on the hats until he dropped his sticks.......took him that long to pick them up....finally saying screw it when he knocked the mic over hahaha

That subway sample is pretty great too! That was one of the freesounds right?

• @candle  Jan 23

@dzdandcunfsd, yeah it's from freesound, so are the can drop & mic drop samples.

See You In The Shadows…

• @complexissimple Jan 23

@pifie that appears to be a broken link.

• @elainedimasi  Jan 23

Haha, CulturalAppropriation is every 60's and 70's pop song that had sitars in it...

Fumblecore see, FAWMers shouldn't delete the take when they sing it all wrong and swear...

CountryAndEastern, see CulturalAppropriation

UnintentionalProg is the real lmafao for me!! Like, if I can't do prog when I'm trying to do it on _purpose_, is it really possible to do it unintentionally? I hope I find out, but it doesn't look like it counts if I actually try to!

• @candle  Jan 23

@elainedimasi : maybe call it intentional unintentional prog?

I might just have to try Country & Eastern, espcially given my penchant for the Maqams. I'll just have to come up with country-esque lyrics, I guess.

See You In The Shadows…

• @woodhornhank  Jan 23

Ice hockey ambient : Sounds of ice hockey played on outdoor.

No,my southern friend,i am not kidding.Ice makes interesting sounds.
    When i was kid i sometimes played hockey on a thin lake ice,sounds were really "cool" and eerie,and echoes were bright and nicely dampened.

• @jeustan  Jan 23

Noodlecore: boil and strain, place a mix about 6” from strainer. SQUISH

• @woodhornhank  Jan 23

@jeustan Noodlecore,interesting .Why not #Foodcore : We have to A:Make 14 songs in 28 days. B: Eat.
    So why not making song while cooking?

I`ll make industrial metal song "Potatoes And Meatballs"

• @jeustan  Jan 23

@woodhornhank im sorry I’m def staring at your meatballs

• @beat  Jan 23

I‘m only in for the fun and boy, you folks are so funny. This was a great filler for the canceled downhill race in Kitzbühl today.
    Ok, maybe... RaceCore; Sounds from the ski they make in such a race and lyrics used only with words from the sports commenters during such a downhill race...
    HatCore, Closefield, Nihilsticambient, ASAP they all sound very inviting, as does Ice hokey ambient.

• @petemurphy  Jan 23

Alan. There should be a genre called 'Alan'.

• @aeye Jan 23

Hatcore is taking off more then I thought it would hahaha

• @gm7  Jan 23

Winnie the Pooh Blues...the varied adventures of Christopher Robin and
    the Wildlife Gang with added animal sounds........too much coffee today!!!

• @dasbinky  Jan 23

In high school, @tfish77 and I were looking for a genre to label our band. After much fruitless discussion, we just flipped open the phone book, pointed to a random name, a decided we were pioneers of the new genre of "Wohlfarth". We moved on to dominate our high school music scene, preaching the sounds of Wohlfarth, which honestly was just glam-grunge.

Three months, @tfish77 got into a car accident, and while exchanging insurance info he realized he'd just rear-ended Edith Wohlfarth.

So, careful with your naming, the universe is weird.

• @candle  Jan 23

@dasbinky, that's an amazing story!

Now I wanna hear some Wohlfarth 😁

See You In The Shadows…

• @tseaver  Jan 23

@gm7 in 2019 I did a tune called Jellystone Valentine, using actual samples from the Park Service of animals in Yellowstone to make the beat, and as accents.

• @toms  Jan 23

@woodhornhank I know that sound well!!! Climate change has made outdoor skating pretty much impossible here in southeastern Michigan in the USA...and all of the rinks have been closed this year due to covid. Which is good, but still! 😀

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 23

@gm7 Eeyore would definitely be singing some blues 😁

@dasbinky haha! poor Edith got her name used and rear ended by you bunch of heathens 😉

• @sapient  Jan 23

@mdavisto It kinda exists already courtesy of Finntroll...
    https://youtu.be/DvpLM0DmlSU

• @sapient  Jan 23

I think the trouble with any kind of invented metal genre is that the world of metal is so horribly subdivided that it probably exists already. Exhibit 1 for the prosecution: Party Slam 🤩
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m9Ya6GPWMDI76vt-lkz_ylCWD...

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 23

@sapient yeah I think it was in 50/90 this year I was trying to make a joke about medieval folk metal............yeah it exists 😁

• @musicsongwriter  Jan 23

How about Fawmical?

• @fuzzy  Jan 23

Retrocore - make music only with natural items you've found in the woods and record it on an Edison wax cylinder.

• @elesimo  Jan 24

Here's my take on #slothcore: https://thefishermenandthepriestess.bandcamp.com/track/slow-and-dirty

40 bpm, dirty everything, and slow.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 24

@elesimo 😁 That's great! I love it instantly. I started a backing track with some gaps for some #nihilisticambient in it today for a Jamuary tune. It might be my new favorite genre!
    That was dirty everything and slow. I loved it!

This is going to at a later date probably get guitared and whatever else all over more than it already is.

https://soundcloud.com/user-485033918...

• @elesimo  Jan 24

@dzdandcunfsd I love your song, I pictured a sloth playing all the instruments! 😀

• @candle  Jan 24

@elesimo that's one dirty, slow #slothcore song. I love it! I think I'd love an entire album of songs like that.

@dzdandcunfsd I keep expecting a drunken Scotsman to start pontificating in the midst of that, a la Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict of Pink Floyd infamy. I love the pauses - they kept me on my toes.

See You In The Shadows…

• @cleansupafterburn Jan 24

So far I've made up the following combos, though maybe not the first to coin? Orchestral Dubstep, Carribbeandustrial, and one more that does not want much traction today.

I claim most of what I personally do as "Demo" or "GNF" gives no f's

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 24

@fuzzy Retrocore sounds fun ......... but I think I'd use my phone before making a wax cylinder and recorder. That could be a fun project though.

• @kissinginpublic  Jan 24

Nu Grebo - grebo with added glow sticks.

• @fuzzy  Jan 24

Well, @dzdandcunfsd, if you use the natural materials but don't record on an Edison wax cylinder, that's called "Paleocore".
    True Paleocore enthusiasts dress only in loincloths.

• @pifie Jan 24

@toms : As long as baby blues is made by babies, for babies, with babies... we would be out of the controversy!

@complexissimple : Sorry! It was this video of Gibson destroying brand new Firebird X guitars with an excavator : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd7yS...

@elainedimasi : Well, if Prog is something, then Regr should be its contrary, so if you get to make, say, a 7/8 groove, you just repeat the last part until it's 8/8, making it #IntentionalRegr . Like removing the last note on the bass riff of "Money". I figure out that edits like that would make Tool fans very angry

@dasbinky : WHAT??? hahaha great story!!

@elesimo : that #slothcore track sounded like an electronic version of Sleep's Dopesmoker [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc - that is only one song ] . Nice!

I really like how slotchcore makes you go to the tab and check if it is still working, so...

#RealisticGlitch : Music with pauses and loops that make you think the device has really had some software/hardware problem

#Bent : Music where the pitched instruments are playing glissando more than half the time

#Chirps : More than 25% of the time of each riff is completely silent (all instruments at the same time)

#Monophonic : Only one instrument sounds at a time. The simplest is: you play the guitar, then stop and sing, then stop and play the guitar again (Some blues actually do that)

• @yam655  Jan 24

@pifie Thank you. I was planning on doing some #Monophonic and now I have a genre for it.

• @rayboneor  Jan 24

Wrack line pebble core: You gather seaweed, drift wood, shells, small stones, and the like, and then notate your songs on crude treble and bass clefs constructed with the found objects

• @complexissimple Jan 24

@pifie Still broken.

• @pifie Jan 25

@complexissimple something about editing with links... now it's not broken anymore!

• @complexissimple Jan 25

@pifie I certainly hope they used them as firewood or something afterward.

• @johncrossman  Jan 25

#grumblecore - music by and/or for pugs. Lots of delightful snorty gruntiness.

• @elainedimasi  Jan 25

@pifie I think if I could wrap my head around what you just said, I'd definitely be able to do Prog! : - )

• @reklov  Jan 25

#Spartan Music: A song accompanied with a single acoustic instrument and as many voices as you like

#Additive Music: Two standalone tracks, one an acoustic song, one an ambient instrumental, played simultaneously on two different devices to form a "third" listening experience.

#Hammer Music: Music made only with household objects and tools.

I already made lots of Spartan, one piece of Additive and four tracks of Hammer Music.

• @reklov  Jan 25

Ah, I forgot:
    #Body Music: Music consisting of sounds produced by the human body (clapping, blowing...). I did an entire mini suite of that.

• @reklov  Jan 25

#Monophonic sounds interesting!

• @complexissimple Jan 26

What do you call it when you combine Wrack line pebble core and Retrocore?

• @johnfahres  Jan 26

Glovegazer: like shoegazer but, y'know...hands.

• @johnfahres  Jan 26

* Power-Polka (catchy 3 chord formulaic polkas written by bands like Fountains of Wayne and Weezer)
    * Jangle-Dirge (maudlin music played on Rickenbackers)
    * Alternatortive (alternative music made with car engine parts)

• @candle  Jan 26

@johnfahres - Glovegazer: I could get into that, or even Jangle-Dirge (anything played on a Rickenbacker floats my boat).

See You In The Shadows…

• @pifie Jan 26

@rayboneor What about just getting sheet music to the seashore and throwing stuff on it, then having to play whatever is there?

@reklov nice! I suppose #BodyMusic would consist of farts and burps too? Should we ban 'wind' body instruments? 😝

@johncrossman #GloveGazer would be like shoegazer but doing a handstand, wouldn't it?

#NightWave-Funk : Nightcore + Vaporwave + Future Funk: You make a funky 80's pop track, then pitch up the vocals (in the vein of NightCore), add a bassdrum-heavy disco beat, then speed down all but vocals, mix it and then looping some parts with reverb so as if a CD was 'jumping'.

#CoreCore : Heavy metal made whilst doing core exercise (abs and so forth). It really makes the vocals 'cut through' the mix.

#FutureRetro : Ironically using 2020's-sounding music as if you were in 2050 making fun of how quirky is it. Then waiting 30 years and seeing if you nailed it.

#MeditationScare : Making really calm meditation-inducing sounds, very drone-ish, maybe with some little instructions on how to relax and so, and some minutes in, just throwing in stuff that would scare the beejezus out of you, then continue on.

#TacticalDissonance : Making really easy-listening and relaxed songs (smooth jazz, 4-chord songs), and adding sudden dissonances to create unexpected short bursts tension to resolve into relaxation again.

#FAWMJingles : Ads for FAWM. Motivate people to join in

• @thedustcollector Jan 26

#Somnomumble: sleep talkers deliberately creating songs while they sleep. May require some training in lucid dreaming and a recording setup that goes all night. Bonus points for sleepwalkers who play instruments (#Somnofumble).

... honestly, I'd try this if I sleeptalked. I think it's legit achievable. I might try it even minus the sleeptalking (#dreamcore?).

• @thedustcollector Jan 26

also @elesimo, that slothcore. dude. that's viscerally enjoyable. (there's a kind of interesting tension to it, though--i don't know if it'd be particularly relaxing for the more high strung overworked university student! maybe to keep them awake via nerves?)

• @reklov  Jan 26

@pifie you can use whatever you like! (if The listeners like that too, is another question...)

• @audrey  Jan 26

@pifie I like your MeditationScare genre. I think the music from the shower scene in Hitchcock's Psycho would work very well, once you have the listener completely relaxed, before returning them to serenity, of course. Ha ha ha

• @gubna Jan 26

Avant Garbage

It’s like avant garde but it’s from all the bits of garbage I’ve made over the last year. I just throw them in a folder. Then, in January I open the DAW and use them to build a track. Generally, by only panning the tracks left, right and center.

I am uploading them to bandcamp right now!

• @willyviste Jan 26

"Instrumental a capella"

A totally new genre that NO ONE has heard...

@willyviste Would that be playing arrangements that a cappella groups such as Pentatonix use, but on instruments? I feel like that might actually be a unique sound.

Or, what I found just now when I actually searched for "instrumental a cappella" was an a cappella song where every voice part is imitating an instrument.

• @metalfoot  Jan 26

Yeah, Bobby McFerrin was kinda doing that in the 1980s already? But instrumental acapella as a contradiction in terms might be fun.

• @candle  Jan 26

#progressivepolka - Polka music written in non 3/4 time.

#synthgrunge - a whole lot of angsty keyboards with vocals that imitate Eddie Vedder

#spyandwesterm - James Bond's Aston Martin breaks down, Pussy Galore leaves him, and he ends up drinking budweisers with Felix Leiter. 😉

See You In The Shadows…

• @willyviste Jan 26

@complexissimple I thought of like instrumental music means music with just instruments, and a capella means music with just the voice. It was bad irony which would not work. (Laughing intensifies)

But your thoughts was actually cool, maybe worth trying as well?

• @metalfoot  Jan 26

@candle Polka is 2/4, like march music. Waltz is 3/4?

• @candle  Jan 26

@metalfoot, I got mixed up. Either way, write a polka song in a non-polka time. Thanks for the correction!

See You In The Shadows…

I've been thinking about names for the hip-hop genre I suggested above. How about #Crank-Hop?

Possible subgenre: #Crank-Crunk

• @candle  Jan 26

#FAWMJingle: "14 songs in 28 days, sign up now, inspiration awaits!"

Sorry, my years as a TV Commerical Producer got the better of me…

See You In The Shadows…

• @rollasoc  Jan 26

@spikedirection My friend Sarah has a band called Toy pop that does exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihX-9YYafZ4

• @johncrossman  Jan 26

@complexissimple
    #Crank-Hop could also be some sort of manually manipulated hip hop a la steampunk. #steamcrunk? Sounds fun.

Along those lines yet not at all, allow me to introduce #steam-monk: the sounds of an ancient order of peaceful religious devotees warming up, sipping tea with honey and clearing their throats (in Latin).

• @johncrossman  Jan 26

@pifie
    #FutureRetro - I dig it. Everything old becomes new again, but different so what will cycle back around and how... also, got any stock tips for us from the future while you're at it?

• @terroratspacecamp  Jan 26

@candle my regular band is pretty close to #synthgrunge. We call our music sparklegrunge because it has grunge roots but lots of omnichord.

• @candle  Jan 26

@terroratspacecamp that sounds awesome!

See You In The Shadows…

@johncrossman That is pretty much what I was imagining, possibly with one hand on a vinyl turntable and the other on one of these http://alturl.com/4sfvs

@johncrossman Apparently this is steamcrunk https://bandcamp.com/tag/steamcrunk?artist=2425452508
    What I've heard of their music so far doesn't sound much like crunk to me, but whatever.

• @spikedirection  Jan 26

@rollasoc hey wow! They got good results as well, legit impressed.
    Also you've earned yourself a watch from me, I also love porcupine tree, it's going to be a real wrench not listening to Steven Wilson's new album much this Feb so i can focus on fawm...

• @pifie Jan 27

@gubna do you mean that Avant Garde music is NOT actually made that way? Shocking! 😝

@candle haha I loved your genres

@metalfoot then there you have it! #WaltzMetal - now in 3/4! Something like Pantera meets Strauss, very palm-muted of course! Headbang and slide and headbang... 1,2,3,1,2,3. I think @sapient would know how to pull it off

@johncrossman So, everything old becomes... old again? Do invest in fine wood guitars - there you have the reason to buy a real mahogany one! #Crank-Hop actually reads very J-Dilla to me, some sort of drums that, with the hand-cranking, go up and down slightly in tempo. #Hand-Crank-Hop then. We'd all love some #steam-monk hahaha ... but one question: Are the monks syncopatedly clearing their throats?

... what about...?

#ForThePatient : Songs with an intro as long or longer than the rest of the song (think 'Papa was a Rolling Stone').

#MovingUpTheGround : The chords go up one semitone each time you come back from the chorus.

#Vegan : Pictures the story from the point of view of a sentient non-human being.

#Recipes : Instructs the person in how to bake something, with the full recipe, using field recordings of the baking as samples. Works with small DIY proyects too!

#BTTF : The story unfolds by going back in time as the song progresses, instead of unfolding the story forwards... ehm, turns out this is known as Reverse Chronology ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_chronology#Music )

• @candle  Jan 27

@pifie, Tool did a #recipes song called Die Eier Van Satan - it's just a recipe for Hash Sugar Cookies without Eggs spoken in High German.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/tool/die-eier-von-satan-the-balls-o...

I really like #movinguptheground. I might have to try that one.

See You In The Shadows…

• @bokonon Jan 27

#LightIndustrial : made with aisles of dirty rack-mounted gear, all 20-feet up and you need a forklift to get it down. Lots of drum machines and there's a burger van in the car park.

• @metalfoot  Jan 27

The Turtles did a song called Food on their Battle of the Bands album which had a recipe for hash brownies in it. #recipes

• @johncrossman  Jan 27

#genreneutral or #notagenre - no discernible/identifiable genre despite attempts to categorize.

• @johncrossman  Jan 27

#PrigRock - complex, deliberately uptight and often offensive, but surprisingly, solely instrumental.

• @cherok40 Jan 27

#DubCountry - Delay that banjo! It is time to rethink the country genre.

• @pifie Jan 27

@cherok40 I am expecting at least a track of that from you!!! I DEMAND IT

• @reklov  Jan 27

@pifie
    I did a #recipes song (spoken word) about baking outmeal cookies long time ago. Generally, I think this would work really fine with a rap.

• @pifie Jan 29

Just to keep the ball rolling, I have to at least try some bad ideas:

#PoolSounds : Fill up a bathtub and proceed to record percussion for it by slapping the water in different ways, or banging on tupperware upside down on the water (try it! Super cheap)

#ReallyPoolSounds : Using a pool table for percussion. Cue sticks on the floor are allowed... Get ready to scramble and run away from the bar owners.

#PetSounds : Sample your adorable non-human companions. Make it into 60's pop sounds, or not.

#Re-Versed : Write a song, then scramble the order of the verses and stick with it. Example: "Everywhere that Mary went / Mary had a little lamb. /The lamb was sure to go / It's fleece was white as snow"

#Sweat : Record your vocals while exercising and breaking a sweat - stationary bike preferred. Best if the song-making was done in the treadmill too [FAWM takes no responsibility for hospital bills].

#MatchingBPM : Match the BPM of the song to the activity the song is portraying. For example, if you say "we were walking...", pace yourself around, measure how many steps you take on average per minute, and use that for the song's BPM.

[ This is starting to look more like challenges, hmmm, I may be improperly tagging all this, but I'm not in too deep... ]

• @candle  Jan 29

#poli-psyche - Psychedlic Political Rock. Make your political statements with a B3 & some Analogue Delay (probably been done back in the late '60's, but we could revive it)

#MathFolk - Math Rock without the distortion & with folk stories.

#algorhythm - Another Math genre where the beat is created by an algorithm.

See You In The Shadows…

• @davidbreslin101  Jan 30

#GlamBaroque. Lots of big wigs, sequined harpsichords and duelling tenor recorders. A bit prog, only with more rigorous counterpoint.

#DeathK-pop . 'Nuff said.

#acoustoclash . '90s-style EDM / pop fusion played entirely on acoustic instruments.

I don't know about Mongolian funk, but #TuvanFolk-Punk is a real thing.... ask Yat-Kha.

• @candle  Jan 30

@davidbreslin101 #glambaroque sounds like something I could easily get into. 😀

See You In The Shadows…

• @yam655  Jan 30

I'm actually planning some #sweat. Walking is exercise. Pacing is walking, but inside and at home. I do 3in10s, which is 3 songs improvised in 10 minutes. Two 3in10s while pacing is a 20 minute walk.

I'm tracking my steps, so from a numbers perspective it still looks like exercise.

From a music perspective, since I'm inside at home, I can leverage ideas from Bard Cards, and I can stop/start the recording for each song. There's no risk of wind.

Standard pace is a 20 minute mile. If I do six songs in a superskirmish, and pace for an initial 3in10 to get ideas for each, I've walked for an hour, or three miles.

I mean, I'd love to full-on dance and sing, but I've got to work up to it.

• @pifie Jan 31

@fuzzy how the hell do they make the different 'drumhead' sounds with the same hands? Amazing!!!

@davidbreslin101 . Hehe I know about Yat-Kha and can do a little overtones myself. I actually went up and listened to 90s EDM and can see how the ryhthm of the synths could really work well for chords in acoustic guitars - at least to get out of the rut with the usual cliche strumming patterns we all use. I figure that #GlamBaroque was more like Mötley Crue with harpsichords. "Damsels, damsels, damsels...!!"

@yam655 Do let me know!

I have no further genres to propose. My genre-imagination has reached its limit 😞

• @glasscrow Jan 31

I'm rolling around with tears of laughter 😁 😁

#algorhythm sounds legit, though, @candle .

My best shot is #tejanowave or remixed Tejano music slowed down to the point where it's spooky, and then backed by ambient pads. Add a little extra reverb, and some of those sad love songs just got even more depressing.

• @johnfahres  Feb 1

#tacocore making music using only taco ingredients. Of course, there are will be the inevitable split and battle between soft-side and crunchy-side, with drive-by salsa-ings... Very tragic, really.

• @lyricslinger  Feb 2

Clunk - Classical Music meets Punk. Instruments can include violin, harp, trombone, etc, but democratised so you don't need to have gone through all those years of musical classes.

Death Skunk - Death metal mixed with Ska and Punk, to produce something dark and aromatic. Not to be confused with Death Skunk Funk which is entirely different ...

• @pifie Feb 2

I'm waiting to get home to immerse myself in my headphones for @elesimo 's track!

I actually beat @yam655 to making a #close-field one, in my first track ( https://fawm.org/songs/110928/ ). @elesimo : now that you have done that... I'm kicking myself because I lost the opportunity to record the ambient where I was in the morning... it was raining and very very atmospheric, and I just hoped the mic captured that somehow (but it didn't!)

I should have recorded the silence too! I mean, record the ambient twice as long as the track, and pan it left and right for 'space'... could have been GREAT. I'll save that idea for later... sometimes, 'silence' can be a great thing to add (albeit it sounds... counterintuitive)

@lyricslinger : that sounds as a good idea but out of tune. UNLESS!!!! WE AUTOTUNE THE INSTRUMENTS!!!, so that you don't have to be as precise MWAHAHAHAHHAa ( "Violin teachers hate him" hahaha ) . Your genres are amazing... I think of death metal voices with ska guitars, and ska voices with death metal guitars hahaha

• @elesimo  Feb 2

@pifie the hardest part was exporting the audio. I had to figure out how to remove normalization, because the exported WAV was too loud!

• @quork  Feb 2

@candle

I heard a rumour that Al Gore is a budding songwriter who is on this site (incognito, of course). I also heard he is all over #algorhythm.

• @candle  Feb 2

@quork, we had Nicholas Cage last year: @nicolascage. He did actually post a few songs. Still not sure if it was really him or some devoted fan posing. At any rate, if Al Gore wants to do some #algorhythm, I'd love to hear it 😉

That reminds me, I should make sure that I have #algorhythm on my Song Ideas/Chellenges list.

See You In The Shadows…

• @nerdjealous  Feb 3

Assign a list of words of your choice, sounds/plugins/effects from numbers one to 20. Throw three darts at a dartboard, and whatever scores you get to the number segment (e.g. 1, 20, 5) you use those effects/plugins/sounds to create the music. also, bonus points if you record the whole turn to base your beat off - the sounds of the darts going into the dartboard are the bass drums.

I call it.... #arrerscape !!

Do as many 3 dart turns as you like 😁

Essential feature, to consider it arrerscape - you must call out your total score like a scorecaller!!! I can hear it now... TWENTY SIX!!!

• @nerdjealous  Feb 3

@lyricslinger Clunk' ohh I like this one - hold my soda! I'm gonna make a little piece now 😁

• @haim  Feb 3

#chillsoul - music that is played only after a month of not getting angry at anything.

• @nerdjealous  Feb 3

#clunk and #nihilistic-ambient done!!
    hope you like!!
    @lyricslinger and @elesimo
    (corrected tag of user in song listing)
    https://fawm.org/songs/112108/
    https://fawm.org/songs/112051/

• @reklov  Feb 3

I couldn't resist to do a #Monophonic song.

https://fawm.org/songs/112608/

• @complexissimple Feb 4

CLUNK!!

• @persaab Feb 4

#nodance music that doesn’t make you dance
    #slowgrind like a grindcore but slow.

• @yam655  Feb 4

I liked @elesimo's #slothcore track so much, I wanted to try it myself. I didn't have a problem with volume, but I did have a problem with length. I went a slightly different direction with my setup. You can only have total silence if there's just one person at the controls.

In my case, there are four musicians and they doze off at different times. They kept playing, hoping that there would be a length of time in which they were all awake. It never happened for very long, though.

20 minutes. One more track like this and I have an LP!

https://fawm.org/songs/112819/

• @nerdjealous  Feb 4

#Bagualahop #UnintentionalProg and #ASAP may be my next efforts!! Cool idea all around!

• @elesimo  Feb 4

@pifie, for #UnintentionalProg ("run-of-the-mill 4-chord songs in which at each turn, a bar is added featuring a random chord each time"), is the idea that the chords progression get longer (random chords in parenthesis):

C G Am F / C G Am F (D) / C G Am F (D) (Em) / C F Am F (D) (Em) (Bb)

Or does each time a chord from the 4-chord progression gets replaced:

C G Am F / C (D) Am F / C (C) (Bb) F

?

• @nerdjealous  Feb 4

@elesimo I could be wrong though my take is that the four chord progression takes place, then a bar is added with any random old chord (and proggy madness may vary) then back into the original progression. Like G D C D then into one bar of F#min9 or something (not sure that's even a chord I don't know lol) but ofc it's my interpretation lol

• @pifie Feb 5

@elesimo I had a meeting with THE COUNCIL OF ALLOWED MADE UP GENRES and they hath bestowed upon me the duty of informing you that you hath made indeed a new genre. Lo and behold:

#ExponentiallyProg

Where as time goes on, it explodes in more and more and MORE prog each time. Both stances are Exponential. What I meant was the now OBVIOUSLY #LinearUnexpectedProg, which would be something far simpler like:

C G Am F F# / C G Am F B7+ / C G Am F Dsus4

and so on, sort of what @nerdjealous pointed out, but I'm hella curious as to how that exponentially-working song could end up... could it ever END? Could it be that at some point starts to be ... anti-exponential? SO many choices!

• @elesimo  Feb 5

@pifie that had me laughing out loud 😀

I'll try to make an #ExponentiallyProg song!

• @pifie Feb 5

@elesimo : #slothcore is gaining traction... with minimal effort: https://fawm.org/songs/113364/ . I tried to use #MovingUpTheGround, but it has no chorus 😞

I don't know how you will be able to finish that song! It's like a chain reaction of new chords! You're mad! 😀

• @radioovermoscow Feb 5

Um, @candle - I literally have a #synthgrunge section in my personal spreadsheet of songs (some of the titles might be familiar to FAWMers who've followed me a few years!)

I haven't used the tag on FAWM 'cause I thought it was just my own personal invention!

• @candle  Feb 5

@radioovermoscow that's awesome! You need to start tagging them here at FAWM 😆

See You In The Shadows…

• @yam655  Feb 6

I have a #monophonic track now: https://fawm.org/songs/113828/

• @spikedirection  Feb 6

After hearing @dzdandcunfsd do it I decided slothcore had real potential
    https://fawm.org/songs/114031/

• @elenaduff Feb 7

http://everynoise.com/ lists every possible genre if it's of use to people!

• @schlimminycricket Feb 7

I dunno what to call it, but this year I'm playing only music that you could conceivably play at the Roadhouse in Twin Peaks without throwing off the vibe

• @nerdjealous  Feb 8

#Jugglebeatz - drum beats made entirely with juggling ball tricks and the noises they make when you catch them, effects added with reverb and/or echo. additional (props) can include: bouncy balls, kids hula hoops with the stones in them that rattle when you use them. also capturing the swishing of the balls moving through the air, thuds on the floor, rolling them along the floor. etc

• @candle  Feb 8

@nerdjealous, that reminds me of Pink Floyd's The Grand Vizier's Garden Party Part 2 from Ummagumma where it sounds like Nick Mason is dropping tenis balls on his drums. Maybe that's the #protojugglebeatz track?

See You In The Shadows…

• @spirulence Feb 8

@pifie I dropped an #ASAP track over yonder
    https://fawm.org/songs/115086/

• @xfloorpunchx  Feb 8

I dig the ##PreAd idea! Would be amazing on the 10x10 challenge.

• @chroes  Feb 8

#Reversia - using samples backwards. Using parts of the melody first in thr right order, then backwards. Or mirrored. Or both! Singing backwards and then switching it back!

#Autochoir - being one's own choir and using artificially hyper-layered vocals to evoke a choir-y feel. Very covid-safe alternative to using actual choirs.

#Voiceguitar - using a human voice making screechy guitar-like sounds as an actual guitar in a song, possibly combined with fun amps.

• @beat  Feb 8

I just loaded a #HatCore at
    https://fawm.org/songs/115111/

• @yam655  Feb 8

#inverted - Light and peppy instrumentals that sit on top of a super slowed down vocal track. (I've done such in a different year.)

• @beat  Feb 8

and the ting about Vegies... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpfYt7vRHuY

• @kirjis Feb 8

Gregorian anything (funk, sludgecore, dubstep)

• @nerdjealous  Feb 8

#jugglebeatz #arrerscape (without the score call-out at the end...)
    https://fawm.org/songs/115254/

• @complexissimple Feb 8

I should try doing a #voiceguitar song - I've sketched out what the guitars should sound like with my voice occasionally, but never tried putting it through the same kind of distortion etc. you would with a real guitar.

• @chroes  Feb 8

@complexissimple Right? I mean, I sing the #voiceguitar in every song that has a guitar solo, it should almost feel natural to sing it in an actual song and then put some amp plugin on that? What could go wrong? 😁

As to #Reversia: Listened to the song, it's super cute! I somehow wonder how it would sound if you took the samples and tryed to mix them down with instruments and stuff? I like to try that soon!

• @andpow81  Feb 8

#statcore: Like mathcore but probabilistically generated?

• @celineellis  Feb 8

Well i had to stop by and pledge my appreciation for #slothcore after just discovering it!! In return i would like to offer you my very own #retro-pop-electro-folk which I made up for my made up band

https://fawm.org/songs/115235/

• @nerdjealous  Feb 8

#statcore #voiceguitar good ideas!!

• @reklov  Feb 8

@candle I'm interested in doing #slothcore. But what is exactly meant with "dirty"? That it's dissonant, distorted or both?

• @candle  Feb 8

@reklov It can be both, either/or. I originally pictured a whole lot of fuzz or distortion, but some have gone the disonant route as well. Both work. So be creative! Welcome to the crazy world of #slothcore 😁

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  Feb 8

I'll second @nerdjealous on that #statcore & #voiceguitar sound awesome. Might have to give those a try 😀

See You In The Shadows…

• @chroes  Feb 8

#WarpCore - Star Trek retro. I'll be making one of those!

• @beat  Feb 9

Ok, I’ll do my second VCV track here as #statcore! Like mathcore but probabilistically generated...! That sounds straight forward, and when I’m done I’ll send it over to you @chroes

• @andpow81  Feb 9

@beat I'm super excited for your #statcore track! Let me know when you finish it!

• @reklov  Feb 9

Thanks, @candle !
    So this is my try. I hope it's dirty enough.
    https://fawm.org/songs/115541/

• @chroes  Feb 9

#ChordCore - with every chord change, the lyrics must begin with the chord letter.

#Waltze - from Walze, German for steamroller, and waltz. It's waltz mixed with a rather "hard" music genre, like metal waltz or techno waltz or industrial waltz.

• @chroes  Feb 9

So here's my entry for the #voiceguitar genre:

https://fawm.org/songs/115710/

• @ajna1960  Feb 9

I suspect @petemurphy has created a new genre, 'wonky pop'
    https://fawm.org/songs/115565/

• @reklov  Feb 9

@ajna1960
    And what IS Wonky Pop? Just all songs from petemurphy? What is so special about that new genre? I couldn't hear it.

• @ajna1960  Feb 9

@reklov it's pop and it's wonky, what more could we ask for !

• @circle Feb 9

#CloseField : All acoustic instruments, played at the lowest playing volume possible, as well as vocals, recorded with the mic super close.

this actually sounds pretty cool and potentially doable....

• @nerdjealous  Feb 10

#CloseField woo like this one!!

• @spirulence Feb 10

I'm not sure the edges are hard enough on this one - but I really like the ASAP style, it fits my limited writing talent very well.
    https://fawm.org/songs/115928/

• @pifie Feb 10

@circle @nerdjealous I did one, it's easy. I tried to sing as silently as possible. With some compression, it works wonders for intimate topics. I suppose a national anthem could work tho hahaha

• @reklov  Feb 11

Are you ready for #acoustoclash?
    Hear & fear!
    https://fawm.org/songs/116621/

• @complexissimple Feb 12

Loving #Waltze too. I need to make a list of all my favorites from this thread for future use.

• @chroes  Feb 12

Accidentally invented the genre

#DanceLullaby - a dancy techno-like rhythm paired with soft and meandering melody

https://fawm.org/songs/116991/

• @davidbreslin101  Feb 12

#EmoListening : blandly pleasant music with lyrics full of existential dread and suicidal despair.

• @fearlessflight2014  Feb 12

#greengrass Left wing driving 2/4 climate-change activist songs with banjos and fiddles and tight nasal 3 part harmony.

• @elesimo  Feb 18

@pifie I made a #unintentionalprog song, the exponential type! I threw in some crazy chords and it worked great! The chord progression is:

C G Am F (x4)
    F#m
    C G Am F (x4)
    F#m B7+
    C G Am F (x4)
    F#m B7+ D4
    C G Am F (x4)
    F#m B7+ D4 Eb
    Repeat

Here's my song: https://fawm.org/songs/119214/

• @reklov  Feb 18

What a great find, @persaab ! I especially like the three death metal blends. Barbershop Death Metal made my day!

• @persaab Feb 18

@reklov 😁 clad that I could cheer up. 😁 I just love bandcamp. Listening it almost everyday at work.

• @cblack Feb 23

https://fawm.org/songs/121328/

Hatcore for @aeye .

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...