FAWM 2021: On politics, protest songs, etc.

This topic is now closed.
  • @burrsettles  Jan 21

Fellow fawmers!

FAWM is a place that brings together many people from many backgrounds with many perspectives. It's also a place on the Internet, which is sometimes a bit of a tinderbox.

Many of us will use this year's FAWM to process our anger, frustration, and other pent-up feels from the past year through music, and I wholeheartedly encourage that exercise.

However, you may come across another's song with which you disagree. At best, let it go; at worst, be civil. No flamewars: not in song comments, on profile soundboards, or in the forums. Go to Reddit or 4chan or Twitter for all that. This is FAWM. No need to walk on eggshells, but if you must voice disagreement, do so respectfully and keep back-and-forth on hot-button issues to a minimum for the sake of the rest of us. Even if all parties are being civil, it can be a drain on the community. Focus on the music.

This hasn't really ever been an issue in the past, and I hope it won't be this year, but tensions are high now for many reasons so I want to be clear.

Think of FAWM as a big group basement concert that I and my fellow mods throw in our own house (in "normal" times). Be respectful of all our houseguests, and don't give us a reason to kick you out. 😉

That said, I am really excited for all the music we'll make this year... I think we all need this!

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 21

Think of FAWM as a basement? But that's where all the worst political takes come from!

That aside, great post. I feel this is a year in which people would be particularly drawn to catharsis, and so would be well served by a place where they could make an artwork without making an enemy.

• @ianuarius  Jan 21

Good take, Burr!

Seek to understand rather than to condemn.

• @fuzzy  Jan 21

Excellent.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 21

Well said and thank you @burrsettles for inviting us into such a great space.

• @johnstaples  Jan 21

Surprisingly, I feel a lot less like writing protest songs this year. Maybe that's because Darth Vader no longer has the nuclear codes!

• @candle  Jan 22

Well said @burrsettles. Keep FAWM friendly. This is a jam, not a riot. And thank you for giving us this amazing basement to jam in, @burrsettles 😁

See You In The Shadows…

• @spikedirection  Jan 22

@johnstaples the US is moderately fortunate to have changed direction very recently. As a left wing Englishman I remain furious about how my own country is going, I expect that'll be coming out via my output this Feb.

• @quork  Jan 22

Hear hear. It’s worth remembering we all have at least one thing in common: we have a passion for creating music.

• @billwhite51 Jan 22

im not going to write any protest songs. in fact, ill probably do mostly instrumentals

• @johnstaples  Jan 22

@spikedirection yeah I hear ya and feel ya. Maybe your situation will improve now as well? I hope so! At any rate I'll be checking out your songs, protest or otherwise!

• @burrsettles  Jan 22

@billwhite51 I think I'm likely to do mostly instrumentals, too... but that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be any protest works. 😀

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

Let's just remember that a gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 22

@airbagtester I've always liked that quote, especially in a metaphorical sense........ but am never musically a gentleman 😁 I don't know squat about bagpipes but would sure play them like I knew how hahah

@burrsettles It's a nice basement!

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

@dzdandcunfsd I definitely meant it in a metaphorical sense 😀 I'm not the type to tell someone they can or can't play the bagpipes.

• @metalfoot  Jan 22

@airbagtester Good thing that-- there's a VERY good bagpiper in FAWM who does awesome stuff 😀

• @candle  Jan 22

You're right @metalfoot :

@electrocelte is his FAWM tag, Bagpipes are his game. And he's awesome!

See You In The Shadows…

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 22

@airbagtester 😁 I figured so It is a great metaphor the world would be a better place if more people adhered to.

@candle @metalfoot a bagpiper you say? 😁 I was unaware I enjoy it in small doses

• @mistermann  Jan 22

@burrsettles I appreciate the explicit assertion as much as I fully expect that we’ll all peaceably coexist like we have in years past. So thanks for that.

• @markg  Jan 22

We do all need this, as @burrsettles said. So musically say what you have to say, and listen to what others musically have to say. If you don't agree, just click on the next song. I think most of us come here to share and be supportive. Like the old song said "Whats a matta you? You gotta no respect? It's a nice-a place. Shut uppa ya face."

• @andygetch  Jan 22

Amen. When I listen to a song or read lyrics that the subject or theme conflicts with my personal values, in that case I do not comment on the song content. Instead, I comment on another aspect of the song or simply do not comment at all.

• @candle  Jan 22

@dzdandcunfsd he mixes it with guitar, synths & his awesome voice.

https://supersonictartandeathmachine.bandcamp.com/track/oblivion is porbably my favourite song of his. In fact, the whole album, Doppelgänger, is absoluetly amazing.

See You In The Shadows…

• @cts  Jan 22

@markg - I remember the first time I heard that song. It was on this old disco variety show called Solid Gold. (In my best Jack Palance voice) “believe it or notttt.”

• @tseaver  Jan 22

@candle, @metalfoot, @electrocelte Wow, I thought I had neighbor / family complaints just trying to record my loud guitar amp! I can't imagine what would happen if I fired up bagpipes (not that I know how to play them, but they are loud AF!).

• @crisp1  Jan 22

Thank you for putting together this giant group basement concert!

• @timfatchen  Jan 22

What @andygetch said. (My 2c).

• @tseaver  Jan 22

@timfatchen, @andygetch Agree, 100%: feedback on FAWM is supposed to be positive, period. I *hope* I am able to listen and comment on a sincere song whose message provokes my sensibilities: if *I* fail at that, the least I can do is be silent.

• @loveonamixtape  Jan 22

FAWM is all about the constructive feedback, and I've rarely seen anyone deviate from that, even given the...tension of the last few years. That said, I appreciate the clear reminder for all of us! As a big fat lefty, I always have a reason to protest, and usually mix up politics in a number of my song. 😀

• @roddy  Jan 22

Thanks @burrsettles you've made a powerful argument re FAWM and what it is about.

• @mikeskliar  Jan 22

well said, Burr!..

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 22

Love love love

• @alboe Jan 22

@burrsettles , hats off to you sir

• @jwhanberry  Jan 22

My ideas for this year are purely compositional. I hear enough from the other side on the news. Don't need it here. If I don't like your point I'll ignore you or find a little something nice to say.

• @markg  Jan 22

@cts Did the Solid Gold Dancers perform to that song? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t on Soul Train.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 22

what @mistermann said. 😀

• @cts  Jan 23

@markg - no, it was a bit they used in-between the performances and the countdown. This particular bit had various people singing the song; kind of a like an off the cuff lip sync moment.

• @dreamscuba  Jan 23

Well said @burrsettles love and tolerance here. I love the FAWM community.

• @cairobraga  Jan 24

keep the freedom, mantain the respect. and vice-versa.

• @kathym  Jan 24

We need to always remember one of the key rules of fawming ... "Don't be an asshole".

One of the reasons I was not able to participate last year was due to having to use so much of my best energy just to survive all of the negativity and stuff that was going on every day. Two fawms ago, most of what I offered were songs containing way too much negativity, which is not my style and never has been.
    For me personally, last year would have been much more difficult for me and I look forward to this year and able to provide songs with healthy energy.

• @mishykatz  Jan 25

Big Gratitude @burrsettles for the safe space to connect, share and grow! And to all your team!

• @blindkiwi  Jan 26

@kathym key rule of life actually 😁

• @abolishumanity Jan 26

I'm very much considering including a link to this thread as the sole liner note for most of my planned output.

• @darcistrutt  Jan 26

I love being in your basement @burrsettles - I always try to play well with others.

• @natrin Jan 29

Well said. Love a good basement party.

• @ustaknow Feb 17

Possibly these threads, unknown to some prior to actually *reading and understanding the content then, should have [Triggger Warning] Some one may not know otherwise. And or the Songs individually too.

- Just a thought

I'd hate to get triggered, and mistakenly cause an issue of any kind, as much as I love FAWM and all the good folks I get so much from, - otherwise.

• @frenchcricket Feb 17

edit: bleh —can't be bothered. Grow up, maybe?

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 17

[mod hat on] I think everything that needed to be said on this has been said, and it is being taken off topic. As such, we're locking the thread. [/mod]