FAWM d20 (roll dice for random song ideas)

Skip to the bottom

• @ianuarius  Jan 18

Here's a little game from 3 years ago.

It requires the use of a 20-sided die, but if you don't have one, you can use this website:
    http://a.teall.info/dice/

Printable PDF (8.5x11) with the four basic tables:
    http://juhakeranen.com/fawm-d20-sheet-01.pdf

First you roll for a theme for your song or the section. If you roll 20, you must then roll twice and combine two themes!

After that you roll for the sub-theme. This is combined to the original theme. Again, 20 means you combine two themes together.

Then you start plotting down sections. After you've written one, you roll for another. This could get a bit crazy! You could also always roll a new theme for each section.

After each section roll one from the events table! "Steady as she goes" means that you're doing well; no need to change anything.

And for you crazy people out there, here's a table for a random style!

Here are random Chord progression tables for in case you're having trouble with a specific section for your song. They are all relatively harmless. You roll in either from Major Chords table or Minor Chords table based on the key you got.

Narrator tables:

If you do the challenge, please tag the song #fawmd20 😀

PS. If you like this game, be sure to check out Bard Cards!
    https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/bard-cards-first-set1

Enjoy. 😀

• @mdavisto  Jan 18

@ianuarius I love this. I love how Nat 1 is grief. So true. You have rolled a 1. Now bad things are going to happen to you, in volume.

• @steviez  Jan 18

@ianuarius I LOVE this! As someone with a ridiculous amount of dice I'm always looking for reasons to roll them - definitely going to give this a try - thanks!

• @candle  Jan 18

The drum troll is the best part of the lot, IMHO 😁 Love this challenge, @ianuarius

See You In The Shadows…

• @wacha  Jan 18

I'm going to give this one a go this year!

• @lonelyrobot  Jan 18

This is great! Will have to give this a try 😁

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 18

cool will try to play this game, i quite often prompt myself with little dice games on the fly when trying to get something from nothing.

• @rickatfulcrum  Jan 18

OK, this looks interesting. I'll link here to whatever comes out, if anything.

• @splittybooms  Jan 18

This looks really cool and fun. I ended up getting into D&D last year for the first time ever and was hooked. Someone bought me some cool dice, but sadly we all ended up using digital dice on D&D Beyond lol
    This could be helpful for me to practice different kinds of sections of a song. Quite cool!

• @tawny249  Jan 18

I might give this a shot. Depends on the slate of challenges come Feb. 1. I know this one takes a little more deliberation than some others. It's a commitment. 😁

• @sciren  Jan 18

Love this idea! Gonna give it a shot!

• @ianuarius  Feb 1

Don't forget to roll your dice!!

• @heuristicsinc  Mar 1

I just wanted to mention that I use this on a lot of songs, particularly when I need to pick a key. I've used that d20 to pick the key of at least half of my songs this year 😀

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...