Ukuleles!

Skip to the bottom

• @timfatchen  Jan 14

Ukulele players and users: It's only an informal thang, the FAWM Ukulele Club, but tag your ukulele songs #fuc to attract listeners and participants with ukuleles!

• @fuzzy  Jan 14

Oh yeah!
    Ukuleles r!ule!!

• @roddy  Jan 14

I certainly will. It's a really useful way to listen to ukulele music on FAWM

• @scubed  Jan 14

Absolutely!

• @wistah  Jan 14

Lord knows I'm a fuc-er.

• @chipwithrow  Jan 14

I'll be doing lots of uke songs. I've started giving lessons online, so some of my songs will be based on lessons, and some of my lessons will be based on new songs.

• @andygetch  Jan 14

I do include a uke on some songs. With the theme idea I have brewing there may be more than the usual number.

Fun fact for guitar players (who did not know this and) who have a capo. You already know how to play ukelele! A (concert or soprano, i.e. the most common small GCEA tuned) ukelele is the same relative tuning as the four highest pitched strings on a guitar (DGBE) with the capo placed at the 5th fret (then sounds GCEA). The only variation is that the fourth (or standard tuning D) string is one octave higher. As a result, the third string is actually the lowest sounding string.

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 14

It's been awhile since I've busted out the uke. Definitely want to dust it off this year and re-join the club.

• @fuzzy  Jan 14

Attention @andygetch; the ukulele police will be at your door shortly for giving away ukulele state secrets! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @frey Jan 14

I mostly write on guitar now but I started out with a ukulele and I'm very loyal to it still, so I will defo be doing this!!

• @elesimo  Jan 14

And don't forget that February 2nd is "World Play Your Ukulele Day"! Every year since 2017 I record a song on the ukulele on that day for FAWM. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @sjbatavia  Jan 14

@elesimo I compose a lot on uke. Thanks for the heads up on WPYU Day. Iโ€™ll try to write and record a uke song on Feb 2!

• @kovbleu  Jan 14

fuc yeah!

• @lonelyrobot  Jan 15

I got a ukelele for a birthday present last year and haven't really played it much so will be trying to do something with it for fawm.

@andygetch hat-tip for the tip!

• @lonelyrobot  Jan 15

Ugh, typo
    * ukulele

• @barbara  Jan 15

My ukulele was salvaged from a wealthy manโ€™s throwaways about 8 years ago. Feb 2 it is!!

• @tseaver  Jan 15

The only uke I own is the baritone which belonged to my Dad: it was the first instrument I ever played for the fun of it (as opposed to the piano I was taking lessons for -- I wish I'd found a way to love it then).

I've made a couple of cigar box ukes, but donated the only really playable one to a silent auction for my daughter's school orchestra.

I do like the reentrant sound, as in the 5-string banjo: maybe I should try to scrounge a cheap-O tenor / soprano / concert for this year's FAWM. My "frailing" style actually works pretty well on a uke.

• @coolparadiso  Jan 15

Bound to be a couple so will tag them!

• @chasingandromeda  Jan 15

---

• @fuzzy  Jan 15

Hey @tseaver, maybe you need a banjolele if you dig that banjo sound. They're a blast to play.

• @ustaknow Jan 15

I finally, gave mine away. I could not figure that thing out! Hardest instrument I've even owned.

The person that got it was a bit shocked, - it was way more than a beginner would need, or should want... I just hope they use it. In good hands, -- it can't be beat.

• @nerdjealous  Jan 16

Do guitarleles count? My main instrument ๐Ÿ˜

• @loveonamixtape  Jan 18

My poor uke's gotten a bit dusty this year, but I always end up putting a solid uke output together for FAWM. Looking forward to giving it some love again!

• @fourzeroes Jan 18

i usually fuc up at least one track every year...

• @kenmattsson  Jan 19

Last year was my first FAWM. Made it half way when I broke my shoulder. Needless to say I couldn't focus on the rest of the month. This year, I've been part of a songwriters group and even got another uker to start FAWM. Looking forward to it!

• @auditasum  Jan 25

I mostly play the ukulele because I have small hands and the chords are easy, so you could call me... a lazy fuc-er

• @zecoop  Jan 25

I think I only got one uke song last year but am definitely planning on trying to get more this year. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @ampersandman  Jan 25

I used to not like Ukuleles, but my 8 y old daughter wanted to start, so I guess I'm in the club now.
    I got her a DIY Uke kit for Christmas which we built together and left the design to her. This is what came out: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJifZ78nFxU/

• @lonelyrobot  Jan 25

@ampersandman That looks ace!

• @fuzzy  Jan 25

I like the underwater theme, @ampersandman.

• @mishykatz  Jan 25

I am definitely a uker- see you all there ๐Ÿ˜€

• @carleybaer  Jan 25

UKULELES RULE
    Although my poor neglected guitar would probably beg to differ...

• @gubna Jan 25

I saw the plastic one I have in my basement and thought better of reaching for it. Iโ€™ll just let it collect dust until some other time.

• @drivelmonk  Jan 25

Just got my first uke this year. Thanks for the nudge! Will try to do a uke-based song. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @regis  Jan 25

As my 3-year-old has managed not to destroy my uke during the times I let him play with it, I plan a bit of fuc-ing around.

• @ineloquentsd  Jan 28

If my wrist cooperates, I think Iโ€™ll definitely do so fuc-ing. ๐Ÿ˜… More seriously, glad to know that thereโ€™s some ukelele love happening in this community.

• @mattmuk Jan 28

My FAWM go-to tool .

• @carleybaer  Jan 28

@nerdjealous tell me more about your guitalele!! I fell victim to a very targeted ad at an extremely vulnerable moment and now itโ€™s all I can think about. Iโ€™m a dedicated tenor/baritone ukuleleist but I was a guitar player first and sometimes I miss those lower strings, but not enough that Iโ€™m willing to sacrifice the tone and portability of the uke... is the guitalele the unicorn Iโ€™ve made it up in my head to be? I need details!

Thank you in advance ๐Ÿ™

• @nerdjealous  Jan 29

@carlybear I first set out to find a travel guitar, was disapointed with all that I tried but found a simple juniors guitar that kept similar tone to a full size. but the problem with it is it goes out tune verrry easily. so on I sought a solution.

took me a good four or five years to find out that guitarleles existed. went for a deal on ebay, think I paid about ยฃ90 for it, and I havent looked back!!

if I think on ill get a picture or film for using in one of my 'videos' so you can see!!

the model is:Aria atu-120-6mh (made in China), in a reddish brown finish. nylon strings, and i used to be a sticker to the whole steel strings, until i found that this suits me for the amount of music i make. think its a tenor body, cant remember for size..

but its sooo good for just picking up quickly and getting jamming! ๐Ÿ˜

• @nerdjealous  Jan 29

(sorry for double post) wanted to add - its actually half nylon half steel. bottom half is steel. i made a lot of my music last year using it!

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

And after all that, I've tuned all my recorders, the CBG, the bass, the Pacifica, even the elec fiddle but I FORGOT to tune the uke! Oh the shame!

• @mishykatz  Jan 29

tune? three days before?...ok but I will have to tune again

• @riffraff1990 Jan 29

Uke crew assemble ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ Hi. I'm Crystal huge fan of the ukulele I tend to write my happy songs on it look forward to checking out other ukers.

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

@mishykatz Yes, but once tuned up, not badly out of tune and easily corrected by ear. (WHich is why my ears get bandaged as FAWM rolls on) (single wire strings are particularly harsh when tuning by ear)

• @mishykatz  Jan 29

My ear has gotten worse at tuning since I rely on those little clip on ones...they are very handy when it's noisy though. Maybe you could get lil safety ear muffs for your poor ears?

• @tseaver  Jan 29

@mishykatz I guess that must be like my grandmother's non-pierced earrings, then? I think my lobes would get sore, with that clip-on hanging from them all the time.

• @mishykatz  Jan 29

@tseaver Bahaha...are ALL songwriters frustrated comedians? Here I thought was just me Excuse me I have to go tune my ears

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

Frustrated, definitely. Comedy? It's how we survive...

• @davidbreslin101  Jan 29

[looks round at the big stack of ukes right behind his chair.] Well, I might. If I feel like it.

• @tawalker Jan 29

I've got quite a ukulele collection by now... including the Flight TUS35 "travel" soprano I got just before Christmas (here's hoping I'll be *able* to travel with it by the summer...). They're great ukes for the price: tough as old boots, and they play and sound surprisingly well, considering they're mostly ABS plastic (with a laminate top).

Other than the Flight, I have a Caramel CB402 baritone, a Risa Solid electric tenor (the "stick"), and a solid electric "u-bass" custom-built for me by Darren Field of Buzzards Field Ukuleles. You'll almost certainly hear all of these on my songs this year ๐Ÿ˜€

• @tawalker Jan 29

Also... this FAWM, I'll be going for a multi-layered fretted instruments and vocals-type sound - mostly (but not entirely) acoustic, with guitars, ukuleles, mandolin and the like. Think: early Iron & Wine, and Sufjan Stevens on "Carrie & Lowell".

• @tseaver  Jan 30

@tawalker Sounds like my kinda music! Lemme know if you'd like some frailing banjo to go with any of that.

• @timfatchen  Jan 30

Ah, the threads start plaiting themselves! https://fawm.org/forums/topic/11128

• @mishykatz  Jan 30

@riffraff1990 I went searching for 'sad' or serious ukulele songs...the only thing I came up with so far (and I LOVE this song) is "I'll See You In My Dreams", Joe Brown does it. If anyone out there has examples of not-so-happy uke songs please share ๐Ÿ˜€

• @scubed  Jan 30

Iโ€™ll probably do an Irish-ish song or tune this FAWM. If I do, Iโ€™ll use my sweetest-sounding uke as a harp substitute.

• @timfatchen  Jan 30

I used a uke for a lute in FAWM or 5090, it worked well! No one initially realised it was a uke.

• @carleybaer  Jan 30

I tuned my baritone uke to simulate an Appalachian dulcimer when I covered A Case Of You. For a minute I was considering getting an actual dulcimer, but I think Iโ€™ll keep retuning the bari and just get another uke instead ๐Ÿค—

https://www.facebook.com/carleybaer/videos/10163311188175438/?

• @kenmattsson  Jan 31

All #ukulele all the time. Might be playing concert, tenor or baritone, and see if I can add some other instruments in there too. We'll see how this all works out. Looking forward to jumping in again this year and see what I can manage.

• @berni1954  Feb 1

Anyone who knows my stuff knows that Ukes play a massive role in my output. Most of the songs I have written over the last nine years have been for the weekly "Seasons of the Ukulele" challenge on the Ukulele Underground Forum.

• @jamesstaubes  Feb 1

I always do a ukulele tune every FAWM.

• @pabrizzer Feb 1

my main song writing tool is a uke

• @the3queens  Feb 1

#fuc yeah! I even might knit a uke cover this winter (just found a pattern!)

• @darcistrutt  Feb 1

#fuc ers unit! I have a soprano, tenor, and baritone. Plus a banjolele! Iโ€™m tempted to get a mandolele now that I know they exist. Happy FAWM Eve my fellow FUCers!

• @skyezor  Feb 2

Hey yaal- I'm a Ukulele and Songwriting instructor from Virginia at a rad non-profit writers center in my area and I was just thinking of how cool it would be to host a virtual FAWM Uke Open Mic night on Zoom at some point this month. Would any of you be willing to "sign up" for a slot and give this a try?Thinking I'd organize it for later in the month and folks could send me their lyrics (and chords) so that I could display them while you sing and you could all play or sing along (on Mute) from home? Would anyone be up for this?

• @dragoonerzero Feb 2

@skyezor That sounds like a lot of fun!

• @roddy  Feb 2

Here's my 'Play Your Ukulele Day instrumental - it's a baritone ukulele tuned to open E. https://fawm.org/songs/111760/

• @squeakmouse73 Feb 2

Love me some uke.

• @carleybaer  Feb 2

Got one! https://fawm.org/songs/111890/

@skyezor I'd sign up for sure!

• @elesimo  Feb 3

Here's mine: https://fawm.org/songs/112190/

I had so much fun! The lyrics came out naturally as I improvised and my girlfriend laughed. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @bluejean  Feb 3

I wrote my first uke song because of FAWM! It was #14 on the last day of my first FAWM (2012??) when Iโ€™d squeezed all I could out of my acoustic and tenor guitars. Flash forward to now and Iโ€™ve been teaching uke for 6-7 yrs and written many songs (mainly baritone but some tenor).

• @bluejean  Feb 3

@skyezor Iโ€™d love to participate!

• @jenjen Feb 4

Thanks! will do

• @tawalker Feb 4

My second song, "Healed By The River" (https://fawm.org/songs/112935/), is uke-only - two sopranos (both my Flight TUS35) and baritone (Caramel CB402). I pondered adding a guitar or two, but I ran out of time and thought "nah, I'll let the ukes own this one" ๐Ÿ˜€

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...