Collaboration Elements

Skip to the bottom

• @ustaknow Jan 11

Last 5090 project I found myself, ad hoc doing stuff in other tracks. It was great (really, really great), and stimulated other from me, for me. And in how that/those worked out, I then got a great track with them.

Folks need to pick how they want to engage that (collaboration logistics/legalisms) - on their own, or different CR thread.

However, for this here, for those who've worked with me, know me and know I tend to not have any issue with the many types of agreements folks may be concerned with, if:
    - You got a track and want me to noodle to it, guitar, bass, harmonica, jaw harp, NAF, fork and spoon it (my cheater spoons version), cajon (brushes, etc.), cow-bell πŸ˜€ thumb piano, and to a lesser extent itemized specific single element acoustic drum kit parts (Bass Drum alone 1/4 Note Beat, any number of Cymbals large or small with mallet swells (many already on line, won't need mine πŸ˜€ ?); but not a "kit" beat, back beat stuff, part of the band click tracks -- which at least two others here do far better work), then:

- let me know

- or, for others, let them know the "Need-Want" you may have or are willing to provide

You know, you can have 1000 Guitar players listed, it does not matter. We all play differently and will fit a certain track or not. So, if you feel you'd like to Guitar-up someone's track, let them know here if you like.

=================================================

• @ustaknow Jan 11

@dzd - I may need your Shovel Ware again this project πŸ˜€ yeehaww!

• @ustaknow Jan 12

https://fawm.org/help/#collaboration

A *new addition to the not often enough read help text.

If don't then understand, ask, first, but not "here" πŸ˜€ in "this" thread. I can't decide anything for anyone else πŸ˜€

As I comment above:
    "Folks need to pick how they want to engage that (collaboration logistics/legalisms) - on their own, or different CR thread."

============================
    I want to add a comment to this, to, - please understand if I ask YOU and you say "no thank you"... I am 100% fine with that. Moreover, if I say "no thank you" or "not just now", - it does not mean, - anything.

Songs are so personal to some folks.

I know I've been told "yes" and really felt I "failed" them, -- not what they thought..., that's just as lousy a feeling πŸ˜€

So, as I say above, for those that my know "me" (so to speak) and my work... Fawmlings -- listen to folks work for a while; watch how they engage others, no rush, -- then do reach out. There's possibly ? not enough reaching out versus sitting, waiting and then "complaining", so to speak (no one wants to collaborate, how much reaching out did you do?).

You gotta ask and be seen as * ask-able * πŸ˜€

• @rshakesp  Jan 12

Do have a go at collaboration- it’s fun, opens your mind and challenges you to ceed to your collaborators skills

• @ustaknow Jan 14

@rshakesp - definitely.

What I found is, and not surprised, if one really wants to break out of "the box", collaborate out of your box. Just give it a shot for the heck of it, -even.

- Yesterday, 100% unexpectedly, I had a friend from Chennai India send me a 4min track of their "Veena" (some will hear it as a "Sitar")

I had never heard them play previously, nor have I ever played with/jammed, with or Mixed one.

Once I established a "western anchor" πŸ˜€ in Bb on my fret-less bass (they were tuned down 1/2 step ish πŸ˜€ ) ... I could go farther.

Fun? OMG... yes. As I said to them, - "I made my total krappe, my stuff, less krappe", but enjoyed myself and forced observing different very real rhythm patterns and scale fusions. And, who cares anyway, (what an attempt, experimentation sounds like)?

• @ustaknow Jan 14

Hahhh, I had to link it for them to hear... It'll likely be one of my FAWM's... I'll keep working on it. I should link their original 4min phone recording too... when I get a chance.

I am hoping they join FAWM this year, or even under my account, then post. (One amazing individual..., and so far open to me slaughtering their stuff as I did πŸ˜€ ) hahhh!

Edit:
    Fixed BC broken track issue:
    https://ustaknow.bandcamp.com/album/rahdas-veena-b4naft

Has, b4Nafter πŸ˜€

- Spent about an hour, all one-pass, first-takes as I do, do what I do and it is what it is, is... πŸ˜‰ be...

• @ustaknow Jan 14

Original Phone Recording sent, re: "Veena" for collaboration above, discussion concerning, "getting out of ones box":

Edit:
    Fixed BC broken track issue:
    https://ustaknow.bandcamp.com/album/rahdas-veena-b4naft

Has, b4Nafter πŸ˜€

• @quork  Jan 20

@ustaknow such a cool collaboration! I love the blending of Indian sounds with what sounds like two or three tracks of your guitars. Works well, and so much fun.

• @lvgd09  Jan 20

@ustaknow Rahda's Veena, - b4Naft
    by ustaknow. Very Cool!

• @ustaknow Jan 20

Oh, thank you, @quork @lvgd09 . She's an old friend and, that was the first I'd ever heard her play, - arrived ad hoc surprise. As it happens, when I saw it, I had a guitar in hand, (phone recording emailed), and in that mind set, - tried to see if I could see her "patterns", which I don't hear upfront. The Bass was first and defined that for me. (Also, their/her tuning was a challenge... I may have played the harmonic.)

I didn't know how she'd react, - she was/is "Classically" trained, from Brahmin heritage, - meaning, no sheet music, the "Master" sings the song to you and you just do it/memorise it πŸ˜€ hahhh (their only handoff for their "classic" pieces).

So, the word back was: "by min 2, he did it justice for a westerner", (others she sent it to), hahhh πŸ˜€

Not many saw it, "here" and will go over it again and I guess make it one of my FAWM here in that list then.

• @quork  Jan 20

@ustaknow I'm glad I found this. Was looking through older forum posts, and in my experience anything you're working on is worth a listen. I can see how you'd be a little nervous about the reaction of a classically trained Indian musician. I'm glad she appreciated. I love the global mashup of musical styles.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...