4 people video collab?

Skip to the bottom

• @guatecoop  Jan 11

Oh man, if you could teach me about that I’d be grateful. I’d be interested if I can pull off the video part. @steffan did that a few years back (all him) and I was really taken by it.

• @brownium  Jan 11

Love it, @elesimo! I want to do one of those. Trouble is, no one wants to look at me. Then again, no one wants to hear me, either, so I guess it balances out. πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Jan 11

@guatecoop to be honest I still don't know how I'm going to stitch the videos, I've never done that before. But I'm fairly confident that I can do it, and I'll make sure to document the process for you! My idea is to use iMovie in Mac OS since it's probably easier.

@brownium let's do it! You can always just record your instrument and not your face! 😝

• @steffan  Jan 11

Hey! Like @guatecoop said, I got really into this sort of thing a while back and was definitely thinking about doing some more this year. My Instagram is 50% these sorts of videos now! ( https://www.instagram.com/doctorsteffers/ )

Feel free to pick my brain if need be! I use Final Cut, but I'll bet you can do it in iMovie.

• @jamkar  Jan 11

Sounds fun. I have been posting some vids on instagram. But my iphone does all the work. This could be cool!

• @phlex Jan 11

@steffan your instagram account is amazing - loving your videos, especially the compositing stuff!

• @steffan  Jan 11

@phlex Thanks!!! ❀️❀️❀️ It's a labor of love.

• @sph  Jan 11

@steffan the DoctorSteffers videos are ace!

@elesimo brilliant idea! Count me in - at least I now have to clean up my cellar room/studio before february πŸ˜‰

• @vomvorton  Jan 11

I did a few of these videos last year. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! Definitely intrigued to get involved, especially as (unlike the four-track challenge) this wouldn't require me to leave the house to post anything...

• @celineellis  Jan 11

I would love to get involved in this if I can
    @elesimo i have tried doing this already with imovie and its not possible to have 4 videos on the screen at one time from what i learnt. i would love to learn a way to do it though!

• @elesimo  Jan 11

@celineellis I have never done this before, but I found this tutorial for iMovie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsclVFFpTCg

Maybe it works with newer versions?

• @cairobraga  Jan 11

I can only sing, can I take part?

• @elesimo  Jan 11

@cairobraga of course! I learned from Elis Regina that vocals are also an instrument! πŸ˜‰

https://medium.com/escutasompb/instrumento-voz-4c374bcd0f99

• @dreamscuba  Jan 12

Very interesting. I'm not good at stitching the video and audio (recorded on different devices - video on camera/phone, audio through computer)....I would be keen to learn more and take part.
    @brownium I suspect that nobody wants to look at me either....

• @roddy  Jan 12

Great idea. I'd love to take part. I'm also trying to learn how to do this on iMovie.

• @guatecoop  Jan 12

@cairobraga , to be honest I listen to the voice as an instrument first. If the words pop out to me (good or bad) that is secondary at best. I do instrumentals only, so I always admire those who do vocals and lyrics. πŸ™‚

• @alboe Jan 12

Since my 4-track broke down last year I’m totally up for this.
    I’m no video expert but you should be able to have four people in a split screen within most of the video softwares.
    DaVinci Resolve is supposed to be very good and it’s free.

• @elesimo  Jan 12

Awesome, looks like we have quite the quorum! Should we split into groups of 4, with each group having someone who's willing to edit the video?

• @tseaver  Jan 12

I'd be up for one: I've done some work with OpenShot, and have at least downloaded Davinci Resolve and watched a couple of tutorials.

• @vomvorton  Jan 12

I'm happy to volunteer as an editor.

• @celineellis  Jan 12

@elesimo superb!! I’m going watch that tomorrow and have a practice!!!

• @tseaver  Jan 13

@elesimo I found this tutorial on four-way splitting in OpenShot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx8XR28APa4&list=PLCI9oI4dS9zzX...

Their is also a "mosaic" option:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenShot/comments/fsuftx/mosaic_screen_wit...

• @elesimo  Jan 13

Another way to do it is using ffmpeg, a command line utility: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35034775/how-to-merge-four-vide...

• @ampersandman  Jan 13

That sounds cool, I would like to take part, I can edit in Premiere Pro if necessary (but I don't absolutely insist).

• @fireball  Jan 13

i recently did a quick first attempt at a 4-way with iMovie (having seen some impressive stuff -- almost certainly not iMovie -- online with 4 or more simultaneous vids). i probably should've done some internet searching and youtube watching first. i assume that a 4-way split is easier in other software. as pointed out in the tutorial that @elesimo linked, it takes a bit of extra work in iMovie.

since you can only cleave the screen in twain, it takes several iterations to build up to four. i experimented more with the "split-screen" option, rather than the "picture-in-picture" option --- and i concluded that the tutorial is right, PiP works much better (easier to keep the entire/desired field of view for each clip). i figured i'd do better if i ever gave it another try --- the singer in the tutorial has got it down.

i'd be up for a collab. though i expect to do as much of my fawming as possible in the first week. i'll have classes starting on the 8th.

a 9-clip inspiration from december at club passim...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frEG1vbVOC0&t=3450s

[edit after @tseaver's comment: maybe i don't know how to make the link work... i thought i checked it after i edited it.]

• @tseaver  Jan 13

@fireball The youtube link shows up as "Video unavailable" to me. Did you maybe edit your post? The site software is infamous for truncating URLs in (particularly edited) posts.

• @alboe Jan 13

I think the best would be if someone who has experience with video editing would do the job. @vomvorton volunteered already?
    I have participated in something similar last year.
    Composers, singers, instrumentalists, mixers and video editors all offering to do what they are best at.
    I submitted two of my Fawm 2020 songs and they where performed by mostly people who I had (and still haven’t in fact) never met before.
    If you are interested in how this worked out, here are the links.

https://youtu.be/CyQFjRoEqrk

https://youtu.be/sN9G9uBt2oo

It’s me on bass by the way (shameless self plug).

• @vomvorton  Jan 13

I'm sure there are many people with more skills than me, but I'm confident I could do a decent job.

Here's a couple I put together last year - one with just me:
    https://youtu.be/bSzCkk6PLss

And one with @owl: https://youtu.be/sou3NE4WW5M

• @alboe Jan 13

@vomvorton , that looks and sounds totally okay.
    That’ll do the job nicely I’d think.

• @sjbatavia  Jan 13

I’d be open to trying this.

• @elesimo  Jan 14

Ok, this is what I came up with:

Song 1
    - @fireball
    - @brownium
    - @cairobraga
    - @elesimo

Song 2
    - @loveonamixtape
    - @sph
    - @dreamscuba
    - @vomvorton

Song 3
    - @roddy
    - @alboe
    - @jamkar
    - @guatecoop

Song 4
    - @celineellis
    - @sjbatavia
    - @phlex
    - @tseaver

Song 5
    - @complexissimple
    - @reklov
    - @dzdandcunfsd
    - @ampersandman

Song 6
    - @siebass
    - @lum
    - @seemanski
    - @wobbiewobbit

The last person is responsible for editing the video.

• @vomvorton  Jan 14

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing how these come out.

• @elesimo  Jan 14

There's different ways to do this, but here's what I have in mind β€” please feel free to to different workflows for each song, depending on people's skills and DAW experience.

1. The first person opens their DAW and adds a track with a metronome click. Then they record their part to a separate track in the DAW, while filming it. This will produce the video and 2 files of the same length that should be exported separately.

2. The first person sends the 2 audio files (the click and their part) to the second person. They load both files into their DAW, each into its own track, add a new track, an record their part while filming it. They export the 3 audio files (click, part 1, part 2), which should have the same length, to the third person.

3. Repeat. The last person will have 4 audio tracks (plus the click), and will collect the videos from all participants. They mix the 4 tracks into stereo, and combine the videos into a single one.

[cont]

• @elesimo  Jan 14

4. The last person uploads the song and adds the 3rd person as a collaborator (songs can only have 1 collaborator). Person 1 or 2 uploads the song to their profile and adds the remaining collaborator, leaving a comment instructing people to comment on the original upload, so that all comments are in a single place.

• @complexissimple Jan 14

I would like to participate! I always have enough tech issues that I don't dare volunteer to edit, but I should be able to manage a video of myself singing. In fact, now that I think about it, maybe I should do all my demos this year as videos, since it might be easier for me to host them on YouTube than elsewhere.

• @brownium  Jan 14

@elesimo - this sounds like a lot of fun. You mentioned earlier that you don't know how to do video editing, so if you need someone else to do i'll be happy to take that role. Not wanting to steal it from you if you want to do it, just want to offer to do it if you don't want to.

• @complexissimple Jan 14

I would also love to see another thread for 4 person video collabs that are vocals only, but again I don't think I dare commit to running said challenge myself.

• @phlex Jan 14

@elesimo sure! it will be an adventure.

• @roddy  Jan 14

Good work organising all of this. Count me in.

• @reklov  Jan 14

I'm in, too.

• @alboe Jan 14

@elesimo ,
    All clear and well planned, should be fun.

• @elesimo  Jan 14

@brownium I would actually like to try doing the video editing, I love using FAWM as a way of learning new things! πŸ˜€

Do you want to take the 4th track on song 5?

• @brownium  Jan 14

@elesimo I’m willing, but not feeling lime I need to do the video editing. So if there is a group that doesn’t have a video editor, I’ll do it. But I’m happy just recording.

• @brownium  Jan 14

Tip: each group should decide ahead whether to do landscape or portrait.

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 15

Tip: clowns = good look (sexy)

• @tseaver  Jan 15

@elesimo I'm down with just recording. How do folks doing multi-collabs work out theme, style, etc.? I've only done two-person ones in the past, where one of us had already posted either lyrics or an instrumental.

• @elesimo  Jan 15

@tseaver with the 4-track cassette it's pretty much a lottery, and each time it's different. You might start a song, and it will take a completely different direction than you envisioned by the time 3 other people added their part. Or you receive a tape that's missing bass, so you do your best to add bass even though you never played it before. Personally, I love that aspect of being outside the comfort zone.

• @tseaver  Jan 15

That is definitely outside *my* comfort zone, even more so as I am the #1 writer in my group!

• @tseaver  Jan 15

I should clarify that my comment doesn't imply unwillingness: I would like to confer with my quad-collab-mates first, rather than guessing what kind of track to send down the line. If such communication is deemed "outside the pale" for this challenge, then I will gird my loins and attempt to uphold the honor of the "Song 4" team.

• @celineellis  Jan 15

@elesimo - not to shy away from video creating, but if there is someone else who wants to do it i think that would be better for me (i'm currently sharing my studio and computer with my son who is using it for home schooling online classes so i'm going to be limited to my phone a lot this FAWM!) i will still be able to do the recording part though i am sure - just not learn how to edit and do the edit πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Jan 15

@celineellis I added you to the first track then, and put @tseaver to the 4th, you too let me know if that's ok. And @tseaver, feel free to discuss with the group how things will be done, which instruments will be played, etc., or to change the order. There are no hard rules. πŸ˜€

@sw1n3flu do you wanna join?

• @celineellis  Jan 15

@elesimo superb!

Looking forward to this project a lot @tseaver @phlex @sjbatavia

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 15

@elesimo I'd be up for this if you wanna put me in the 3rd spot in #5 no way I'll attempt to do the editing.

• @elesimo  Jan 15

@dzdandcunfsd done!

• @ustaknow Jan 15

πŸ˜€ ... biting off more than I can chew again...; it'll be fun to watch!

• @loveonamixtape  Jan 16

I'd love to do this! The 4 track challenge always sounds so fun, but, alas, not having a four track, I never get to do it. But I sure can record a video! I'm SUUUUUUPER rusty on video editing, so not sure I can handle spot 4 without it eating up too much of my time, but I'd love to participate!

• @elesimo  Jan 16

@loveonamixtape I added you to tape 2, and moved @ampersandman to edit song 5.

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 17

i would be up for this and would like to edit if that suits

• @loveonamixtape  Jan 17

Yay, thank you! Ooh and what a fun group I've got. Especially since I've had a @vomvorton collab on my bucket list ever since my first FAWM 6 years ago -- happy to get it any way I can! 😝 Looking forward to collabing with y'all!

• @vomvorton  Jan 17

@loveonamixtape yay! It's about time!

• @sph  Jan 17

@loveonamixtape @vomvorton @dreamscuba that should be fun. Never did a 4 track collab - had a four track some time before I joined fawm and gave to a former colleague

• @elesimo  Jan 18

I added a new tape 6, with @wobbiewobbit as the editor. Anyone else wants to join?

• @cairobraga  Jan 18

I'm exciteeeeeed!!!

• @siebass  Jan 20

I'm game if another opens up; this sounds fun. Gotta make sure to track to a shared click for sure!

• @elesimo  Jan 20

@siebass added you to song 6! We should be able to fill it up easily.

• @guatecoop  Jan 20

@jamkar @alboe @roddy I am really looking forward to this. We are going to have to decide on a strategy, but probably shouldn’t on the thread....maybe email?

• @lum Jan 22

I'm up for this if there's any spaces gong. My band did a few of these during the first lockdown, I'm not very good at the editing but though, if you look up Atlantic 54 on YouTube the video where everyone is slightly stretched was my effort...

• @guatecoop  Jan 27

@jamkar @alboe @roddy : Email me and we will get this thing planned...My email is on my page.

• @seemanski  Jan 28

this one makes me nervous, which makes me think I should do it. I suck at editing but could have a go an acoustic video maybe, if there is a space left.

• @elesimo  Jan 28

@seemanski there's a spot left in song 6, but not for song editing, does that work for you?

If more people want to participate we can also add more songs.

• @seemanski  Jan 28

@elesimo, that sounds perfect. Thanks.

• @complexissimple Jan 28

@reklov @dzdandcunfsd @ampersandman I saw my name on @reklov's soundboard and was like "what's this about click tracks?" I realize now that I somehow missed that part of the thread. Is it okay if I just send along the camera file, and don't try to sync anything with it? I'm not sure my computer can handle that.

• @ampersandman  Jan 28

@complexissimple: You don't have to worry about syncing, that'll be my job. Camera sound will certainly be fine, but it'd be cool to have you at least play to a click in headphones and let the other people know the tempo. Either you film yourself recording your track to a click and then send over the recorded wav file and the click, or if you play an acoustic instrument and your camera/phone has a decent enough mic, the video file and tempo alone will do. But in that case let us know the tempo and count in one bar or two before you play.

• @elesimo  Jan 31

Which tag should we use for the songs? #four-people-video-collab?

• @tseaver  Jan 31

@elesimo That works for me. Maybe edit your first post to make it easier for people to find?

• @elesimo  Feb 1

@tseaver great idea, done! I also moved the list of songs to the first post.

• @elesimo  Feb 1

@fireball @brownium @cairobraga I sent you all an email for us to coordinate song 1. πŸ˜€

• @siebass  Feb 1

- @siebass
    - @lum
    - @seemanski
    - @wobbiewobbit

How should we coordinate folks for this 4-way video thing? I am numero uno; was planning on laying down a somewhat funky bass groove for this, and possibly drums, but not knowing what folks want/imagine for this collab, or what people feel comfortable playing, it makes it tougher to decide. Or is this just a kind of, you-get-what-you-get kind of challenge? Happy to discuss on email as well if preferred.

• @lum Feb 1

@siebass i was wondering the same thing. I think it could be more fun if you don't know what to expect but would be good to know what instruments people want to bring to it. Let's pick it up on email save cluttering up this thread for everyone else

• @ldishong  Feb 3

I'd be up for a collaboration on video. I have Zoom through work (I'm an elementary school music teacher). I know how to edit videos though screencastify and could probably do iMovie- though it's been awhile. I use Flipgrid to record student videos- it's free and super easy to use. Please you can add emojis. Flipgrid might be an interesting option for easy recording/sharing.

• @ldishong  Feb 3

If any spots are left, I could do harp- chords or bass. My daughter is doing FAWM and plays violin, guitar, keys, and sings. My husband is also a pianist and singer- we could drag him into it if needed.

• @elesimo  Feb 3

@ldishong there are no spots, but we can start a new song.

Would you like to start a song? I can take the 2nd track, and we can look for more people to do the 3rd and 4th, and then you can edit the video in the end.

Keep in mind we're not using Zoom because we're not doing this simultaneously, each person is recording their part separately! πŸ˜€ (At least that's how I proposed us to do.)

• @brownium  Feb 10

- @fireball
    - @cairobraga
    - @elesimo

I've been held up a bit, but I expect to get some recording done this evening to send my bit on to @cairobraga. Might take me until the weekend to get the video ready to go to @elesimo.

• @elesimo  Feb 10

@brownium awesome!

How are other people doing, any groups would like to share their progress?

• @sph  Feb 10

Song 2: @loveonamixtape did send her song to me. I plan to record tomorrow

• @tunecat  Feb 10

Id love to do this.. Is it still time?

• @elesimo  Feb 10

@tunecat there sure is! Do you want to start something? I can do the second track and we can find more people. Maybe @ldishong?

I can also start something and send it your way, if you prefer.

• @siebass  Feb 10

@elesimo I've been holding up the wagon for team six as first to go for @seemanski @lum and @wobbiewobbit, but I just yesterday finally got done with my video and audio and shared them. We've got drums and bass down; next we've got guitars, lyrics, and vocals to go!

• @complexissimple Feb 10

I've got mine written, now I just need to practice it enough to record the whole thing in one go. Should be today or tomorrow.

• @guatecoop  Feb 10

The nice thing about this collaboration is that everyone can work at the same time, as opposed to the 4 track challenge (which I do) where it’s only one at a time. I like this one!

• @pipewrench67  Feb 10

I would be down to join the next group. if one gets going, I however have zero video editing skills.

• @elesimo  Feb 10

Ok, let's do:

@tunecat
    @pipewrench67
    @elesimo
    @ldishong

Sounds good? πŸ˜€

• @pipewrench67  Feb 10

I'm with that just let me know what I need to do or where I need to go

• @complexissimple Feb 12

Okay, @reklov, I have finally sent my video off to you!

• @elesimo  Feb 12

@pipewrench67 I send you an email. @tunecat will start (probably next week) and then you go next.

• @brownium  Feb 13

@cairobraga Just sent a link to download my audio tracks.

@elesimo I'll try to get the video done today, but no promises.

• @loveonamixtape  Feb 13

Oooh are we the first ones? Here's song 2's song + video: https://fawm.org/songs/117338/

Thanks for a fun challenge!

• @sph  Feb 13

Yes, Team 2 for the win πŸ˜‰

• @dzdandcunfsd  Feb 13

Congrats team 2! It's pretty great as well! Just watched/listened.

• @elesimo  Feb 14

Oh, nice! Great job team 2!

• @cairobraga  Feb 17

@elesimo @brownium @fireball Imma need a few more days to make my part, sorry for the delay. work and bf have been demanding.

• @brownium  Feb 17

The weather disruption in Austin has kept me from getting the video done for my segments. Soon, I hope.

@elesimo - when you get to stitching, feel free to use or leave out any of the tracks I sent. Clip it into smaller pieces, sample it, or don’t use it at all.

• @elesimo  Feb 17

@cairobraga @brownium take your time, do your things, we'll figure it out. Be safe y'all! ❀️

• @jamkar  Feb 18

Here is song 3 + video.
    https://fawm.org/songs/119313/

• @complexissimple Feb 18

@jamkar The Google Drive link says "Access Denied" when clicked on.

• @roddy  Feb 18

@complexissimple For the moment please try this link for the I Just Gotta Find a Way video
    https://youtu.be/4ox5ydLRfrE

• @vomvorton  Feb 18

Yay, good work Team 3! Very much enjoyed that πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 18

So good! I love seeing these songs coming in! πŸ˜€

• @cairobraga  Feb 21

@elesimo @brownium @fireball my HDD just died, so I'll not be able to do my part. I'm sorry. 😞

• @elesimo  Feb 21

Oh no, @cairobraga! So sad to hear that. 😞

• @brownium  Feb 22

@cairobraga - dude! what a drag! Sorry about that. 😞

@elesimo - I guess that means you need your part and my video to get things finished up - I'll try really hard to get the video done tomorrow.

• @elesimo  Feb 22

@brownium sounds good! Do you have the audio recorded? If so you can send it to me and I can start working on my part, and then I'll work on the video later.

• @brownium  Feb 22

@elesimo - I thought I copied you when I sent the audio link to cairobraga, but in any case, I just sent you the link now. Let me know whether or not you got it.

• @elesimo  Feb 22

@brownium you probably did and I missed it, sorry!

• @elesimo  Feb 22

Anyone wants to take a spot that opened??

• @brownium  Feb 22

@elesimo - did you get the audio link? I sent it to the email on your profile.

• @elesimo  Feb 22

@brownium got it, thanks! πŸ˜€

• @pipewrench67  Feb 22

I'm going to try and get my part done tonight.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 27

have posted team 6 video - Funk Machine @siebass @lum @seemanski
    https://fawm.org/songs/123271/

• @brownium  Feb 27

@elesimo I'm at long last nearly done with the video. Should have it to you in a couple more hours.

• @elesimo  Feb 27

@brownium awesome! I'm working on my part, and I'm planning to finish the mix and make the video tomorrow.

Oh, and @carleybaer has joined our group! πŸ˜€

• @carleybaer  Feb 27

@elesimo @brownium @fireball my part is done and sent! Thanks for getting me in on this πŸ˜€

• @brownium  Feb 28

@elesimo - my videos are on the same share as the audio.

@carleybaer - glad you joined the team!

• @fireball  Feb 28

fantastic. nice work on the recruiting @elesimo. i hope the editing goes smoothly.

looking forward to hearing/seeing it, @brownium and @carleybaer.

• @elesimo  Feb 28

@brownium I think you might need to send it again, or reshare the file. I looked at it and it has only mp3 inside.

• @elesimo  Feb 28

@tseaver how's video 4 going?

• @tseaver  Feb 28

@elesimo Likely not gonna land. One of our foursome came down with COVID just as the month began, which took the wind out of our sails.

• @elesimo  Feb 28

@tseaver oh no, so sorry to hear that! Hope they're ok!

• @elesimo  Feb 28

Song 1 is up: https://fawm.org/songs/124074/ 😁

I ended up using `ffmpeg` to stitch the videos together, since doing it in iMovie was VERY cumbersome. I still had a lot of work to sync the videos to the master, but in the end it all worked out perfectly!

Thanks @carleybaer @brownium @fireball and @cairobraga! πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 28

@brownium and @fireball I tagged @carleybaer as my collaborator. One of you should add a song and tag the other as a collaborator, and maybe link to the original one so we keep all comments in the same place?

• @brownium  Feb 28

Great collaboration, thank you guys so much! I'm really happy to be part of that work! @fireball gave us a wonderful starting structure, and I think that all the parts worked really well together. Thank you for putting vocals in there, @carleybaer - I had thought of doing vocals, but I'm glad I didn't, because you did a much better job than I could have done! Thank you, @elesimo , for conceiving the idea, and for getting the whole thing put together for us!

• @fireball  Feb 28

okay, i added a song and tried to follow the @vomvorton / @dreamscuba protocol for linking to the original. thanks, you guys. really cool to hear and see all that. that was the first thing i did back at the beginning of the month --- many of my own little creations in the interim --- but i've been waiting and wondering about how and where it was going. cheers.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...