No Apologies, No Excuses

Skip to the bottom

• @evinwolverton  Jan 10

[Reprising this from last year, because it seemed to resonate with many]

We’ve all been there:

“Sorry about my ______.”
    Voice, sloppy playing, computer fan, rushed mix, neighbor’s dog.

“I didn’t have enough ____.”
    Time, privacy, practice, forethought, afterthought, LSD.

Put your filthy art confidently into the world, warts and all. We’re all beginners here together, letting each other off whatever hooks we’re worried we hang by. There is nothing to apologize for, and nothing to excuse.

Make an entry in this thread if you’d like to commit to No Apologies, No Excuses. Once you do, you welcome other members to leave a remider comment of #no-apologies-no-excuses on any songs you upload that break this solemn oath. 🤞

Slop forth proudly. If you're in, state so clearly:

• @judypie  Jan 10

❤️ #yas

• @andygetch  Jan 10

Yes I firmly believe that and in my case I'm not sorry........ Also there is never enough.... I just finished an Andy Warhol bio and I believe this quote fits the thread

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”
    ― Andy Warhol

• @tseaver  Jan 10

+1.

FWIW, I just did a review of the archived tracks from my first three years. While some elements of some of them (rushed production, mostly) do set off my inner critic, I'm still pleased and proud to have made them all.

• @evinwolverton  Jan 10

@tseaver agreed. Taking part in this challenge doesn't mean there isn't anything to feel excusive or apologetic about, it just means those parts of us aren't invited to participate until March (if ever).

• @tseaver  Jan 10

@evinwolverton I'm actually working during January to refresh some of those songs, partly to get my production / playing chops ready for this year, and partly to appease the IC and fulfill the goal of actually releasing some of them outside the warm safety of FAWM.

• @rayboneor  Jan 10

I’m definitely sorry about all those things mentioned above, but I never apologize 😀

• @ianuarius  Jan 10

Sorry for militantly and righteously kicking @johnstaples out of my wonderful easy shed. I didn't have enough $#!%s to give about some hoboass squatter troubadour.

• @johnstaples  Jan 10

@ianuarius Ha...I stole yer shovel!

• @ianuarius  Jan 10

@johnstaples BROKEN shovel

• @johnstaples  Jan 10

@ianuarius I broke it...fixed it...then stole it!

• @johnstaples  Jan 10

@ianuarius also...watch your step in the back corner...

• @johnstaples  Jan 10

Back on topic...I'm guilty of apologizing sometimes but I'm also sincere about it. I actually feel better posting if I include the confession!

• @toms  Jan 10

Preach!

• @cairobraga  Jan 10

¡DIGO!

• @brownium  Jan 11

No Apologies, No Excuses.

If you are going to do it, own it.

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 11

Sorry about my neighbour's dog, I didn't have enough LSD.

• @timfatchen  Jan 11

Soooo. i can't cite my ibuprofen dependence, the wrist brace or the electric violin's cunning disablement program?
    Ah well. That's my penance for berating own-song-trashers of the past I guess. If Purgatory didn't exist, we'd have to invent it. ...no, wait...

• @elainedimasi  Jan 11

Sorry I didn't do enough commenting.
    Sorry I didn't listen to enough songs from my old friends.
    Sorry I didn't listen to enough songs from new artists and artists who I haven't met yet.
    Sorry I didn't play very many games and challenges.

... You get the picture! All these possibilities are here to inspire us, not to weigh us down!

• @candle  Jan 13

As a born & bred Canukastani, it is my natural state to constantly be sorry. But then I don't think I ever appologize for my art, so there's a bit of a paradox therein. Might explain some of my existential angst, maybe? Or perhaps I need to blame Sartre or Nietzsche… but now I'm getting philosophical, sor… oops. See what I mean?

The Unappologetic Sartrian Nihilist

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  Jan 13

@johnstaples & @ianuarius , didn't we already come to the conclusion that I was the one who infact broke the shovel. Tho, to be fair, I was helping @johnstaples dig a basement in your Easy Shed, @ianuarius. Sor… there I go again. Damn my Canukastani blood 😉

See You In The Shadows…

• @evinwolverton  Jan 13

It's time for your inside joke to find its own thread, folks
    (with love)

• @candle  Jan 13

It sort of carried over from it's own thread: https://fawm.org/forums/topic/10888/

See You In The Shadows…

• @chrishope  Jan 13

whaT ELSE SHOULD I be? one quick sorry and we're off

• @yam655  Jan 14

I'm down.

On a related note, don't expect me to tag things "crapcapella" unless there's (lyrical) poo in it. "Lo-fi acapella" is generally a better term. I also like the genre "folk acapella" for when it is improvised in the style that predates the radio and phonograph.

• @jmadison  Jan 14

But, what if I write a song about apologies? Now that's a conundrum. Nevertheless, count me in!

• @elainedimasi  Jan 14

@yam655 @jmadison you reminded me of something funny - my brother in his college days started an a capella vocal band, and they were brainstorming the band name.

He blurted out, "Acapology" and they all loved that, and then my brother was like Nooooo! To them, it was like a class name, "Archaeology 101" => "Acapology". To him it sounded like they named the band as an apology. But that name got all their votes!

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 14

Acapology sounds cool! \m/

• @tiller2  Jan 14

Falling down on collabs is my secret fear. No apologies except for that. But I guess private apologies are different

• @alyxanderjames  Jan 14

I am down for not apologizing this year! I have no idea how much I'll be able to write next month, but I'm going to go for it, and anything is better than nothing, and that's nothing to be sorry about.

• @evinwolverton  Jan 14

@tiller2 I have no problem with personal apologies for social contracts that feel disrupted. This is more about presenting our work to each other with pre-apologies in their introduction.

• @tseaver  Jan 15

I'm fine with apologizing to a collab partner whom you feel you've let down (I've left at least one in the lurch in my prior years here) -- but that should be offline, not part of posting a song. Let your songs speak for themselves, in spite of any misgivings you might harbor in your secret heart.

• @gbg2016  Jan 16

Always a good idea to recommit.

• @sbs2018  Jan 16

Love it!

• @steviez  Jan 20

Since I'm constantly excusing and apologizing, I'd definitely be in for reminders! Of course, I'm going to apologize in advance for the mess that my studio is currently in.....

• @ryuu  Jan 21

Yes! I'm in.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 21

Yes. I'm getting better at this, but I will work harder at it.

• @timfatchen  Jan 22

One thing I learnt when I was in TAXI: write, record, submit (or, upload here!), forget. Start anew and repeat process.

• @defaultdave  Jan 23

Give no apologies!
    Take no prisoners!

• @atam94  Jan 23

Deal! Sounds like an awesome idea.

• @splittybooms  Jan 23

@evinwolverton you mentioned this last year (i think it was then) and I adopted the concept; really helped me make music that was fun for me, not really caring about the little imperfections. However, I still find myself compelled to point them out...its like i don't want people to think, "OH...he thought THAT was ok??? He thought THAT sounded good??? Hmph!"
    I'll adopt the concept again, but I fully expect myself to end up apologizing or giving a disclaimer after all 😞
    Oh well.

• @pearlmanhattan  Jan 23

@splittybooms remember that not all music is supposed to sound "good" - Music is supposed to evoke emotions - There is no one, almighty standard of what sounds good or bad. I've never listened to Stravinsky and thought "Oh - he thought THAT was ok?" Stravinsky was just another songwriter. Be more gentle with yourself. Fawm is a month to release the "what other people are gonna think" feelings and just do it. no judgement here.

• @splittybooms  Jan 23

Thx @pearlmanhattan I agree 100%...and I do try, but...you know how it goes lol
    I have done better with it, though...mostly thanks to this 'no apologies' concept. Shall try harder.
    And for the record - NO, I don't think that (they thought THAT sounded good???) about other folks' music here. Like you said, no judgement here.

• @cts  Jan 24

Y'know @splittybooms, you've produced stuff that made me go, "He thinks THAT'S good? Hmph, let me see if I can do that." And then I can't do it so then I go, "Yep - it's good! He's good! He's really good." And then I slump down in my chair chewing on a hardy hubris sandwich with hater sauce. 😀

...don't mind me, man I'm really goofy at this time of the morning.

• @timfatchen  Jan 24

Ah @cts, I have that issue with @stephenwordsmith's lyrics. "He thinks THAT'S good? Hmph, let me see if I can do BETTER than that."...hubris sandwich follows.

• @mishykatz  Jan 24

I think this is a fabulous endeavor and I will not apologize for thinking so!! (good start huh?)

• @guatecoop  Jan 24

@splittybooms : I have definitely suffered from “ ..its like i don't want people to think, "OH...he thought THAT was ok???” syndrome. For the sake of time, and only knowing the parts and song for a very short time, I just have a let some things pass through. I really do want to point them out, but then my liner notes would be absurdly long.

• @darebear  Jan 24

I needed to hear this. I’m in.

• @paulhenry  Jan 24

I'm with @darebear . I need to KEEP hearing it. And @andygetch , I like the Warhol quote.

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 25

@timfatchen : Curious. I wonder how many of my other collaborative partnerships were born of of 'If you can't beat 'im, join 'im'.

• @splittybooms  Jan 26

@cts that made me laugh, dude. I also highly doubt I do anything that you couldn't do 10 times better lol But your comment also made me puff my chest out a bit, so thanks! haha
    @guatecoop oh, I've written novel-length liner notes only to step back and realize I was being ridiculous. The boat - we're in the same one.
    And you both made me actually want some kind of sandwich with some kind of sauce - preferably a fried chicken one with some kind of aioli lol

• @tjfafterdark Jan 26

No half-steppin' for real.

• @timfatchen  Jan 26

@stephenwordsmith it's not a case "if I can't beat, join..." Your lyrics are irresistible like the very best french fries or those fungal cheeses--I know I should stop desperately eating them like there's no tomorrow but... [PS the ketodiet strikes _after_ FAWM]

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 26

Pleased to be the fungus that fuels your hungers.

• @scubed  Jan 26

I’m in.

• @celaphane  Jan 27

I love this. Thank you so much for this friendly reminder. The last few years, I just stopped writing. I've been on a path of healing and growth and feel ready to dip my toe into the creative pool again. There's always a reason to not do something. This year, I'm choosing to just say "fuck it" and write again. Whatever happens, happens. Right?

Again, thank you for this. I'm all in for no apologies and no excuses.

• @kirjis Feb 3

No apologies and no excuses. This is the hardest challende for me in FAWM.

• @nateger Feb 3

Amen to this thread! Embrace the slop. Love the warts. This makes me heart so happy 😀

• @alyxanderjames  Feb 3

Thank you again for this thread - it's kept me from apologizing on both of my tracks so far. 😁

• @darcistrutt  Feb 3

I found myself wanting to explain why I posted a song that I wasn’t 100% happy with...and realized I’d post nothing if I let my inner critic have a say. FAWM isn’t about perfection. I commit to silencing my judgment and let the muse play freely. Editing will come later.

• @rosedeschamps  Feb 4

@darcistrutt ”I commit to silencing my judgment and let the muse play freely”. What a great motto. I want it on a throw pillow.

• @timfatchen  Feb 4

@darcistrutt @rosedeschamps I want my throw pillow to just say "Shut UP, shoulder demon!"

• @nightwing521  Mar 1

A bit late, but I'm for it. I decided that I would not apologize for anything I managed to write and I think I've pulled it off. (I'm not going back to find out ... and I'm not apologizing for THAT either 😁 )

• @leka Mar 1

I’m sorry for apologizing

• @caseewilson  Mar 1

@leka - I was coming here to say that!!! Great minds!

• @leka Mar 1

@caseewilson Sorry I got here first 😀

• @caseewilson  Mar 1

@leka well, I'm sorry that my sloppy timing has let to this terrible situation. Maybe if my internet connection had been better... 😉

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 1

I missed this thread, and as a result I think all of my liner notes have apologies. Next year!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...