Why do they...?

Skip to the bottom

• @ustaknow Jan 10

===============================================

E.g.,:
    - Why do they call it Canada Dry, ? it's wet! And known for being very cold there, too! (canadadry.com)

- Why do they call it the King of Beers?
    From a long time ago someone πŸ˜€ "...called this style of pilsner "The Beer of Kings," since it was brewed in Budejovice, the imperial brewery of the Holy Roman Empire. As a play on this, Busch marketed his product as "The King of Beers." (businessinsider.com)

And, yet another:
    - Why do is it called a "Penny"?
    "One foreign currency we were using [then,] was British money. The British pound was not divided into 100 cents like our dollar, but its smallest part was called a penny, and that's why we call our cent a β€œpenny” today. But for more than one, the British called them β€œpence” while ours are called β€œpennies.” (usmint.gov)

-- Yeah, but then, why do/did the British call them pennies?

Okay, why?
    Of the many things that occur, krappe like this, for me, leads to lyrics πŸ˜€ Why? Let me know if you figure that out. πŸ˜€

===============================================

• @ustaknow Jan 10

πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Jan 26

The title here/thread above... - preach, but not heal?

Hahhh, I observed again, something, that then struck me what confused me:

- So many folks in the present period "preach" what to do, yet don't *practice it or get the the "point" πŸ˜€ - what to *do. It's just all preach'n, to look "better", but yet be ineffective. Why bother, I say πŸ˜€ Anyway... so, what I did...

So, in this, my favorite "free for all" forum cat-a-gory, considered how to in some way communicate it (tough to do, but I try πŸ˜€ ) ... I've observed a shift toward proactively managing "anger",
    -- what I'll summary it up to.

So, I did a search on it (amatuer that I am πŸ˜€ )

[ "how to choose not to get angry" ]

and got (among other, of course):
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/evolution-the-self/201208/p...

- to which most will get pissed reading (preaching πŸ˜€ ), since know! πŸ˜€ that stuff, until I read mid page at header:

"...
    2. RE-ASSESS By which I mean get yourself to look at the situation that provoked you from a different, more positive, perspective.
    ..."

Well, for me, in the moment of reading it, I flashed back to allot of other training, and real life experience and other life moments and it look okay enough to comment here.

- "On-line", people will say stuff, (innocently), to which you may react, that has NOTHING to do with what they said. Man... ..., I've seen that proven so many times. What you "heard", was "YOU" πŸ˜€ but, you were "here" during Work-place time, and Mind-frame, or even in relaxed time after half a bottle of wine, sitting in your bunny slippers, - other.

I just pays to wait and see, if nothing else, - the result of that brief pop-psych article. And if then observe a negative pattern, just avoid. Or, be glad, very glad, - you waited since really realy really got what they said WRONG. We are all, as "wrong", as "correct"? I guess that all depends. πŸ˜€

-- Cheers

• @nightwing521  Jan 30

- Canada Dry -

I had always assumed that it was "dry" as in "sec", as in a measure of sweetness (not very sweet!) ... and Wikipedia agrees:

The "Dry" in the brand's name refers to not being sweet, as in a dry wine. When John J. McLaughlin, who first formulated "Canada Dry Pale Ginger Ale", originally made his new soft drink, it was far less sweet than other ginger ales then available; as a result, he labelled it "dry".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Dry

Then again, there's also the tradition that their advertising sign ...

DRINK CANADA DRY

... is a challenge to all Scotsmen, all Irishmen, and all fratboys. πŸ˜€

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 30

"......sitting in your bunny slippers,........."

How dare you knock bunny slippers!!! What do you have against bunny slippers! huh!!! Fight me!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😁

Did I read all that wrong? πŸ˜‰

• @ustaknow Jan 30

@dzdandcunfsd - species appropriation, it's a thing now πŸ˜€ so, watch out for PETA πŸ˜‰ hahhh. It was on the "news" today, so, it must be a factoid.

• @timfatchen  Jan 30

WRM don't forget @allthingsbunnies and anyway, they're rabbits. How did "bunny" ever get derived from rabbit? Why aren't hares bunnies too?

• @ustaknow Jan 30

@nightwing521 - oh my, see, how I read that sign was, - you had to be dry to drink it, OMG! πŸ˜€ I certainly wouldn't spill any.

• @ustaknow Jan 30

- Also, why do they call it a Hamburger? There's no pork in it!?

• @ustaknow Jan 30

@timfatchen - it's the whole species avoidance thing, - I think πŸ˜€ Gotta be PC. Also, if "Rabbit" or Hares - as slippers, could imply, like, - real Rabbit πŸ˜‰ - warm, but messy.

But, I used to love when my best Dog laid on my feet, warm and Harey too πŸ˜€

• @dzdandcunfsd  Jan 30

@timfatchen my theory is Rabbits became bunnies when they were made into underwear to keep the bunnies warm? 😁 I wonder if @allthingsbunnies sells those?

@ustaknow Or why was it even called ham? I guess give me a slice of pig didn't sound as appealing.

• @ustaknow Jan 30

@dzdandcunfsd - you know, I'm still on the "Drink Canada Dry" thingy... - if I were a younger man, I'd try, (to drink, Canda, - dry πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ get your Depends on, yeehaw... ) ...

Ah, Anglesh... it's a wonderful tool; not gud 4 communikate'n, but a wonder full tool.

πŸ˜€

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...