Mornington Crescent 2021

Skip to the bottom

• @mdavisto  7 weeks

Greetings all. I would like to propose that we play this year under the rules laid out for Her Majesty's Silver Jubilee. I know, I know, you may argue that the game has moved on since 1977, but there is arguably a purity about this edition that is in some ways more honourable and clean than later versions.

The Silver Jubilee Edition is also a lot more accessible to new players, so perhaps it is better for Fawmlings.

In case you need a refresher on the rules, it's very much the standard set, but in the spirit of chivalry, no side junction manoeuvres are permitted, nor will there be any bus replacement services. I can see how some of you may find this restrictive, but I'm sure you'd agree that limitations breed creativity.

Also no Prince Alberts, unless you dress to the left.

I shall begin.

Orpington Station.

• @oddbod  7 weeks

I thought everyone dressed to the left.

Orpington eh? Virtually on my doorstep, although everywhere is "virtually" on your doorstep these days courtesy of Google.

Okay, let's test the water, or should I say...

Canada Water

• @mdavisto  7 weeks

Canada Water? You cad. That's most unsportsmanlike.

It is, however, a legitimate move, and to be fair, rather fiendish.

I respond in kind.

Tottenham Hale.

• @rickatfulcrum  7 weeks

Honorable and clean? Have you already forgotten about the incident at Sleaford the very next year, with the British Rail porters and the razzleberry dressing? Cor I hope we never have to go through that trauma again.

Anyway, Bond Street.

• @stephenwordsmith  7 weeks

I've been trying for some months to make sense of British COVID safety guidelines, and the fact that we're out here playing Mornington Crescent is certainly bringing those days to a middle.

To this end, I will play defensively - very defensively, and go with Roding Valley.

• @elainedimasi  7 weeks

Does Bond Street still have the teleporter?
    Er I'm just - asking for a friend.

Darke's Carniv-- WHOOPS heh heh
    Oxford Circus

• @mdavisto  7 weeks

@elainedimasi There's no Bond Street teleporter in Silver Jubilee edition, but all of the air raid shelters are functioning, which makes up for it somewhat.

Oxford Circus, eh? Tricky. I fear I must revert to the classics.

Covent Garden.

• @oddbod  7 weeks

@stephenwordsmith way out east on the Central Line - clearly some kind of distraction ploy. He must think I was born yesterday

It's early in proceedings but I think I'll use my one-off "Dominic Cummings Freedom Pass" - perfectly legal as it's after 9.30am.

Banard Castle...oops, sorry I meant

Elephant & Castle

• @celineellis  7 weeks

Elephant & Castle is an audacious move so early in the game. I salute your fearless approach. Alas, I can parry that with an equally bold

Golders Green

Well let's cut that strategy off at the pass. Wimbledon Park.

• @candle  7 weeks

Wimbledon Park, alright - I see your non-strategic ploy & cross you with an even less strategic move of my own:

Barbican

See You In The Shadows…

• @elainedimasi  7 weeks

You never do know who's going to come from behind the pack, do you?

The last two moves force a Reverse Fibonacci. Wasn't planning to have to backtrack to the green line this soon, but there it is.

Notting Hill Gate.

Don't think I didn't notice that triple salchow, @elainedimasi. I shall have to be extremely circumspect and play a clue token.

Burnt Oak.

• @candle  7 weeks

Reverse Fibonacci this early on, that's bold @elainedimasi. And a clue token, @rickatfulcrum, I must ask: was it Professor Plum with the Candlestick in the Kitchen?

Sorry, wrong game… I'll stay on track - or at least the same line as @rickatfulcrum

East Finchley

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  7 weeks

Pity a poor dumb Yank, I thought I had stumbled across a great find when I found an entire box of Silver Jubilee rulebooks that I could sell one at a time to make a little extra money. It wasn't until I handed over the money and opened the box that I learned two things: (1) These books, in mint condition unopened and unread, go about 10-a-pound; and (2) the printer apparently decided to save a little money by not actually printing anything in the books. Every single one of them is blank.

So if you would like a nice blank book for scribbling down lyrics at odd moments, get in touch with me. In the meantime, I'll pretend I'm looking through one of them to put together a good play going on from Burnt Oak and East Finchley . . .

Darn! So close and yet so far.Warren Street is the best I can do without invoking a double-rule-of-three, which I can't do because I can't read it in any of my blank rulebooks. Also, it's not Whitsuntide.

• @oddbod  7 weeks

Well I know I’m opening up a can of worms but as Brexit has now happened the EU Transportation Protocol no longer applies so let’s pop across the Channel...

Champs Elysees Clemenceau

• @mdavisto  7 weeks

@oddbod How dare you sir.

• @candle  7 weeks

😲 Champs-Élysées, mon dieu!

Not sure how to follow this up, but I'm going to cross reference my 1978 edition of the Now For Something Completely Different Ruleset & see if I can salvage some sort of strategic gain after that extra-realm move…

Cockfosters. There, that's the best I can do.

See You In The Shadows…

I have to agree with @mdavisto here as the Chunnel wasn't even a gleam in Her Majesty's eyes during the time she was celebrating her 25th anniversary on the throne. That's if I'm reading the Silver Jubilee rules correctly, and I believe I am. However, I don't think that entirely negates the move to Cockfosters, as that could have been achieved with a double-reverse half-twisting mulligan, which i know @candle is capable of having executed.

Therefore, Caledonian Road.

• @elainedimasi  7 weeks

This rule set is killing me.

Upney.

Opened in 1932, I'll have you know.

• @candle  7 weeks

I think it's killing all of us.

I'll refrain from further mulliganisms and make the obvious move, according to those Silver Jubilee Rules:

Heathrow Terminals 2 & 3 (opened in 1977).

See You In The Shadows…

• @oddbod  7 weeks

Let's get a bit quizzical shall we?
    All I'm gonna say is I'm at the only (Tube) station with "Z" in its name....
    No Googling the answer you scoundrels - put the leg work in with a map 😁

Well, after that move to West Zinchley I think I must be in Nidd.

• @candle  7 weeks

Nidder you do well… or somesuch…

I'm afraid I've gotten lost in the north end of town, it would seem.

Cheshunt

See You In The Shadows…

• @hornesgiftshop  7 weeks

I'm consulting my yellowing copy of the 1977 rules (it's not faded yellow, the cat pissed on it) and I notice that Cheshunt falls foul of the Seven Sisters exclusion. Worse, I think you knew that. Disappointed as I am, I will say Dagenham East.

• @rshakesp  7 weeks

Sly, very sly! I’m going to counter with the move that Bill Oddie, playing under the ‘77 rules, pioneered in ‘86 and narrowly avoided a two year ban on a legal technicality but opened up the possibility of a mainline diversion

West Hampstead.

• @oddbod  7 weeks

@hornesgiftshop a bit too much information for my liking.

@rshakesp aren't you getting your Goodies mixed up? I thought it was Grahame Garden who pioneered that move.

Anyway, I think it's time to revisit the dulcet tones of Bob Holness's sax playing and wind our way down...

Baker Street

• @rickatfulcrum  6 weeks

@rshakesp @oddbod Surely it was Tim Brooke-Taylor (rest his soul) who famously parried Willie Rushton's (rest *his* soul) audacious move, in honor of which I will similarly execute a reverse Rushton thrust.

Monument For Bank.

• @rshakesp  6 weeks

Goodiness me @rickatfulcrum @oddbod , this is getting out of hand! Time to calm things down..

Theydon Bois

• @candle  6 weeks

I say, what a melee… I feel like I need to parry. And this mysterious Yellow Copy of the '77 rules, @hornesgiftshop, cat urine not-withstanding, is it an approved copy? 😉

I agree @rshakesp, things need to calm down, though I do enjoy Baker Street. So I guess I better stop rambling & make my next move (hopefully I've found myself after getting lost in the north-end).

Being a Canuk, I'll try the 1812 Gambit (which is a legal salvo, as per the '77 manuscript!): Canada Water.

See You In The Shadows…

• @elainedimasi  6 weeks

I don't get all this adulation for former MC players who're DEAD, even if their rulebreaking may've seemed clever at the time.

Kilburn.

• @mdavisto  6 weeks

Blimey. Two Canada Waters in one game. Dirty pool. And this was supposed to be a clean game.

I shouldn't stoop to this level of play but you've left me precious few moves.

Cockfosters.

• @calumcarlyle  6 weeks

Mudchute. Take that!

• @oddbod  6 weeks

Brixton. Westlife!

• @hornesgiftshop  6 weeks

@candle it is the third folio, and was legitimately stolen from the Lyttelton Arms in 1991. Anyway I can't go because of western drift. Send a lady's maid when we're in Essex again.

@mdavisto that made me scratch my head too, since Canada Water didn't join the network till almost 2000.

Brixton, eh? In light of the gauntlet thrown down by @hornesgiftshop, the closest I feel like I can get without putting myself back in Nidd *and* incurring the three-stroke penalty would be:

Bromley-By-Bow.

• @elainedimasi  6 weeks

My banter isn't enough to get them off balance.

I need a copy of these rules.

! Is that @oddbod busking with the saxophone guy at Stockwell?

There are loose pages fluttering from his valise!

Now is the time!

I vault the entry, throwing pence in the direction of tips pile but actually more towards the feet of some children - they scramble for them, knocking over the sax guy's coffee thermos!

From behind the scene, *sneaking*, I extract _one single page_ of - the ruleset - YES! I can do a Triple Fargo from here!

Monument.

@elainedimasi you just missed me by three or four turns.. although I must say that was a stylish triple Fargo.

• @candle  6 weeks

Sneaky, @elainedimasi . Poor @oddbod 's now spilt his tea & seen his busking revenue decreased in favour of school children. I hope the single rulespage was worth it (Triple Fargo not-withstanding).

This is getting intense, I'm feeling a tad cornered. I fear my only recourse is to head back north & perform a Double Lux with a Flourish (which is allowed in this situation thanks to the Milner Exception on p.27 of the '77 rulesbook): Clapham Common.

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  6 weeks

Brilliant, simply brilliant, I haven't seen a triple Fargo like that since the Humph Silver Jubilee Invitational on my one and only trip to London in '77. Of course I was in the gallery rather than participating because I hadn't obtained an IMC rating at the time, but it was impressive all the same.

Nothing much I can do except Arsenal and hope for the best.

• @alyxanderjames  6 weeks

Arsenal, eh? I admit I'm a bit rusty and haven't played by the Silver Jubilee Edition in some time, but I *think* this is a good moment for me to sneak in at...

Barons Court.

@alyxanderjames Cor you are a bit rusty aren't you.

The path is now clear to Euston!

• @candle  6 weeks

Well that changes my entire strategy. then… <FLIPS THROUGH THE SILVER JUBILEE RULEBOOK>… I seem to be cut off, it says here something about Track Maintenance on the Northern Line once someone plays Euston after a Triple Fargo. I'm afraid I must pass until the signals change…

See You In The Shadows…

• @rshakesp  6 weeks

As Chris Rea once sung he has red lights all around! But that’s because he’s used to the Newcastle Metro! Here on the underground it’s green for go!

New Cross gate

• @calumcarlyle  6 weeks

Oh I see an opening.

Down Street!

It's like landing on the longest ladder and going up to square 89!

• @oddbod  6 weeks

@calumcarlyle Trying to sneak an invalid manoeuvre in eh?
    Down Street, as I'm sure you're fully aware, was declared "contra legem" in the 1940 addendum. I’m afraid I’ll have to lodge a formal complaint with the Auxiliary Conduits Committee. Sorry but the rules are the rules.
    That move is now temporarily suspended pending their decision.

Upminster

• @calumcarlyle  6 weeks

Well you would be surprised just how many such moves have been silently overlooked over the years! Pending the committee's decision i suppose i will be in that endless limbo zone otherwise known as

"Changing at Bank"

Upminster has reignited my algorithm. Springing into action only to discover @calumcarlyle and @oddbod ping-ponging between Bank and Monument. Thus, laterally, Bethnal Green.

• @leepat  6 weeks

Speaking of unseemly manoeuvers and ungainly exits, I might as well officiously profess my incompetence while surreptitiously flouting the rules:

Arts-Loi

Well that slingshots me then. But not far enough; I still see a path.

Hyde Park Corner.

• @candle  6 weeks

The signal's changed because of @calumcarlyle's contra legem move. Thanks! That opens up a whole breadth of possibilities for me. I'm certainly getting out of the north end, it's been nothing but trouble for me (& will not be a gambit I undertake in future matches I assure you!). But I still have a long way to go to catch up to @rickatfulcrum, he seems to have manoeuvered himself into an excellent position. To hope to catch up to him, I think my only option is just down the line:

Knightsbridge

See You In The Shadows…

Ah, clever move there, @candle - but you've left me a brilliant opening. I'm going to pull a Farrow's Corkscrew and see my way clear to:

Blackfriars

• @paulhenry  6 weeks

Ah, well, you have cleverly attempted a front worthy of a blancmange, but that can be countered, in part, by introducing Circularity . Timing is of course, essential for this. Happily, I am awake when most of you are not! And so:

Shepherd's Bush.

Ah I wondered when circularity would come into play, because that also brings tangents into play.

Holloway Road.

• @elainedimasi  6 weeks

Heh! Circularity plus Tangents equals the Search For The Lost Chord!

South Kensington probably has the most discarded show tickets, so that's where my next move must be. Lucky it's early, I'll beat the street cleaners.

Then I'll be able to use the Mayan Calendar Workbook to use the number on the ticket to determine the next station in my series. I know the MCW is ok for all rule sets.

South Kensington is perilously close to a Prince Albert, but with social distancing it should be allowable. To hold everything together, I'll play Staples Corner.

• @oddbod  6 weeks

I must be completely insane to attempt this but..
    Barking

@oddbod I applaud your audacity, and in the spirit of that, I shall up the ante:
    Marble Arch.

• @candle  6 weeks

Wow. That's a whirlwind of moves & countermoves (circularity just adds to the chaos, I guess). You all are showing your vetran experience in this shin-dig, but I think it's time for an about face (or a savings-grace?):

Holborn

See You In The Shadows…

Drat! I was hoping it wouldn't be Holborn. Stephen Fry played that one in 2015 and blasted everyone out of the tunnels entirely.

So I guess it's Hainault for me then.

• @candle  6 weeks

That was sort of my thought, @rickatfulcrum. But I daresay I'm no Stephen Fry & this definately isn't 2015. So that means I need to watch the next few moves closely or I might find myself the vitctim of a Manchester Switch.

With that in mind, I guess my next move has to be: Sheperd's Bush

See You In The Shadows…

• @calumcarlyle  6 weeks

Wait a minute, then i should be able to play my Zone 4 card, under rule 73 (since we are playing Jubilee rules), and get out of this endless nether region (honestly, changing at bank is like being in Dawn of the Dead!).

So that's me at Newbury Park. A safe play, i know, but i'm not sure i want to jump on the circularity bandwagon as it were like so many others just now.

• @paulhenry  6 weeks

Two Shepherd's Bushes? That means this bird in my hand is worthless! Curses, but you all are clever. Alright. I call Yellow Card. Then there's no more Serpentining with you lot. So, it can't be stately homes for the Lords, or Croquet lawns, or. . . . or village greens. Time for:

Victoria

Actually Victoria is also dangerously close to a Prince Albert in more ways than one. The lateral would have been safer IMNTLBFHO. You leave me no choice.

Highbury And Islington.

• @calumcarlyle  6 weeks

It's like that, is it? And here I thought the Jubilee rules were supposed to encourage sportspersonlike conduct! I know it probably won't pan out but I'll need to stick with the Northern Line, we don't want a repeat of 2003 after all!

Tooting Bec.

• @rshakesp  6 weeks

Good heavens above I thought this day would never come! The mention of a bec(k) has me reaching for the softer, back to basics, reconciliatory aspects of this beautiful sport so I pacify you all with

Amersham.

• @candle  6 weeks

Watch out on that Northern Line, @calumcarlyle. I got stuck up there a little while ago & almost lost the match thanks to some track maintenance (tho, thank you for helping me escape that particular quandry!). I think I'll play it safe as well & stop in for a spot of tea near Warren Street.

See You In The Shadows…

• @oddbod  6 weeks

Warren Street eh?....that’s not a rabbit hole I particularly want to go down.
    Now bear with me while I decide where to go next....ah
    Paddington

• @ayehahmur  6 weeks

Paddington? Unbearable! Couldn't you have chosen a habitat just a little more conducive to animals? In an attempt to environmentally rewild the game... Hampstead Heath.

• @calumcarlyle  6 weeks

Oh! I think I can start to catch up here, by moving to Green Park (a station I've never actually been to in real life, mind you). It's also in keeping with the environmental turn the play seems to be taking, at least nominally.

• @alyxanderjames  5 weeks

Ah, things are getting interesting here, aren't they? Time to play with a bit more strategy than I've employed so far, which means I think I'm headed to... Burnt Oak.

• @candle  5 weeks

Burnt Oak, I must confess I didn't see that move coming. You're pretty sly @alyxanderjames. That makes my next move perilous. This could be the end of the line for me… unless… yes, right here in Appendix C of the Jubilee rules: a path to salvation (perhaps?). In the transcription of the infamous match between Ewen Fletcher & Kingsley Gallagher from 1976, there's a brilliant Preston Defence that might just help me…

Regent's Park

• @oddbod  5 weeks

*rings bell*
    "Repetition of Burnt Oak"

Whoops, sorry about that, for a moment I forgot what game we were playing. This is Mornington Crescent isn't it, not Just A Minute.
    Ignore my interruption.

• @rickatfulcrum  5 weeks

So it's Regents Park is it? I shall have to sacrifice a stamina token and counter that obvious feint.

Swiss Cottage.

• @hornesgiftshop  5 weeks

Having swapped the dog for an iron, I think it's fair to slide.

Caledonian Road

• @elainedimasi  5 weeks

@hornesgiftshop I think Caledonian Road leads to reels not slides.

Speaking of ringing a bell, the timing is perfect now. Just as it's striking the hour, I can get to Holloway Road, and see if I can't feint into the disused lift shaft.

• @candle  5 weeks

I know I said that I would avoid the Northern Line, given my previous difficulties. But Caledonian Road has given me pause & forced me to review my current strategy. You're very sneaky @elainedimasi, especially with that Disused Lift Shaft Feint. I have very little choice but to move from one park to another via a Fiddle-Yard Sacrifice (as per Jubilee Rules p.42):

Belsize Park

See You In The Shadows…

Guess I'll have to go back to Stovold's Phalanx in light of the circumstances you all are placing yourselves in.

Sloane Square.

• @candle  5 weeks

@rickatfulcrum, you always seem to be two steps ahead of me. But I might have an opening thanks to a deep-level air-raid shelter card I've been holding for just such an occasion. The card was given to me by David Yerkes at a match between Charles George & Lloyd Tyson back in 2002. I finally get to use it! Which means my next move is:

Camden Town

See You In The Shadows…

• @paulhenry  5 weeks

Go fish.

Seriously, I had this friend, Doug, Dougie Boy, I never met. Played a cracker of a round, though I lost horribly. Ah, how I miss him. Well, it's a fair cop, but I'm out of tricks. Only one move left. And, serendipitously, it goes back to the last time I saw Doug. At a small cafe in

Rickmansworth.

• @oddbod  5 weeks

I see @candle finally got the answer to the puzzle I set earlier in the game - the only station with a Z in its name. As a prize you can borrow my Carte Blanche Pass for one move, but I want it back okay?

I have a strange intuition about where my next move should be...actually it's More Than a Feeling...

Boston Manor

Oh well played. Bonus points for namechecking the song the very year before it got all old and hackneyed.

Of course, now I have to figure out a proper defense. A 5-2-3 should do the trick. Plus, I believe multiline stations are still wild?

King's Cross St Pancras.

• @candle  5 weeks

@oddbod I'm the winner! Wow, I've never won anything in this game! Thanks. And yes, you can certainly have the card back.

And @rickatfulcrum, again you thwart my plans. That 5-2-3 defence certainly has given me a huge problem. The only plausible retort to such a move is a Midfield Feint, but I'm too far out of position to effect such a maneouver. And I was getting so close to my final destination, too! Well, I guess I'll have to change tracks & attempt a work-around. Ah, yes, I see a possibility now. There's an open signal to the east that just might help me in the longer run:

Caledonian Road & Barnsbury

See You In The Shadows…

• @calumcarlyle  5 weeks

Oh dear, I always seem to roll the wrong number, but at least I'm still on the northern line with Highbury and Islington.

It's been a very unorthodox game so far, though, keep it up chaps and chappesses!

I had to check the rules for @candle's opening to British Rail, turns out it's acceptable in the afternoon and on weekends. So there's that. The subsequent move by @calumcarlyle to Highbury and Islington just about qualifies as a result, since it's always the afternoon somewhere.

I shall have to be both spatially and temporally defensive as a result.

Waterloo.

In the interest of maintaining the unorthodoxy of this game, I'm throwing caution to the wind. Try to catch me at...

Snaresbrook.

• @candle  5 weeks

Well, it's no longer a weekend, though it is now afternoon (at least in Central Time here in North America), But I guess that means my Britsih Rail ploy is at an end & I must again decend to the underground. Thankfully there's an interchange up ahead. I guess I'll transfer at:

Kentish Town

See You In The Shadows…

• @tomslatter  5 weeks

Newbury Park

• @oddbod  5 weeks

@tomslatter that was very succinct for a first play. Not wanting to give too much away eh? I don't blame you.

Well 2020 and 2021 haven't exactly been golden years but don't let me hear you say life's taking you nowhere...

Angel

Please don't call me that at the gaming table. OK honeycheeks, I'm going to play...

Streatham

Goodge Street. Take that, sweetiedarlings.

• @candle  5 weeks

It seems I have some oats to grind (I do so love gruel!), be back in a few ladies & gents. In the mean time, if you need me, you can find me at:

Mill Hill East

See You In The Shadows…

• @tomslatter  5 weeks

Newbury Park

What the — Newbury Park‽

NEWBURY BLEEDIN' PARK‽

Pandemonium! Shoppers and bankers rushing through tunnels for the nearest exit! Rats hiding in the walls! Schwarzenegger advances threatening humanity! Oh, the horror...

But here I come to save the daaaaaay!

Tower Hill.

• @candle  5 weeks

Just don't let the Ravens fly from Tower Hill, @rickatfulcrum, or else Bran the Blessed (whose giant head, legend says, is buried there forming the tower hill. "Bran" means Raven, BTW) will stop protecting Britttain from invasion (last time Brittain fell to invaders was 1066, if you remember… The Ravens must have departed on that particular day…). Oh sorry, got dristracted with a bit of Celtic Mythology…

I guess I'll need some protection as well, at least something to keep the roof over my head…

Archway

See You In The Shadows…

You're mad, all of you. Or is it me? Maybe it's me. Anyway, I'm off to...

Earl's Court

Oh good, Earls Court, a wild station. That opens a few doors and allows me to play a terminus station without having to sign the guest book.

Aldwych.

• @mdavisto  5 weeks

Aldwych, eh? I see why you did that, but you've played right into my hand. I can now execute a reverse triple thrust.

London Bridge.

• @elainedimasi  5 weeks

Have to admit you stuck the landing, @mdavisto.

Time now for the Piccadilly line I'd say.

Arnos Grove.

• @candle  5 weeks

Looks like I might have to join you on the Piccadilly line, @elainedimasi. As such, I'm going to play the Carte Blanche Pass @oddbod lent me (here you go sir, you can have it back. Thank you!) & take a tour of:

Manor House

See You In The Shadows…

Under Jubilee rules, Swiss Cottage is blocked, so I'll play my horizontal and nominate three other players to join me. Obviously you can sort the order out amongst yourselves.

Abbey Road

• @oddbod  5 weeks

@candle ta very much, I'll be needing that.

I'd be willing to bet the Fab Four never ventured to that particular Abbey Road.
    Now let's see...not quite the poeticism of Penny Lane but it will have to do..

Hanger Lane

• @candle  5 weeks

Hanger lane is in my ears and in my… sorry got a strange image in my mind when you said that @oddbod… Your welcome!

@hornesgiftshop can I be the grave digger (George)? You do know that Paul is dead, right? 😉

In that vein, I'm going overground again in an underground sort of fashion (only six feet under, tho…) & playing my Necromancer's Pass Card (which is legal in the Jubilee rules according to page 66) that I've been holding onto since '97:

London Necropolis Railway Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Necropolis_railway_station if your interested in the history of this unique Railroad company.

See You In The Shadows…

So it's me is it? Hm.. Hangar Lane.. London Necropolis.. ah. You won't have seen this coming.

Stratford.

• @candle  4 weeks

Upon avon, dear Bill - I do say Paris has lost his teeth…

Sorry, not sure where that came from. Yes, Stratford. That was certainly unexpected coming from you @rickatfulcrum. I had thought you might move somewhere further west given your past moves. But again, you've kept one step ahead of the rest of us.

Alas, for my move, only the birds seem to know what to do. However, I will watch out for Daleks & Cybermen at:

Canary Wharf

See You In The Shadows…

• @alyxanderjames  4 weeks

Canary Wharf? Well played. You’ve left me no choice but to make my next move to:

Barking

• @rickatfulcrum  4 weeks

@alyxanderjames that was dangerously close to a side junction maneuver, but still permissible. Sailing a little close to the wind there. Time to right the ship.

South Kenton.

• @candle  4 weeks

South Kenton? There's a little bit of espionage going on somewhere along a maintenance siding, I think. Seems I might have to investigate & make sure everything follows the rules. In the mean time, I'm making a transfer at:

Bond Street

See You In The Shadows…

• @tomslatter  4 weeks

Newbury park

• @calumcarlyle  4 weeks

I fully expect a set of coronavirus variations to be released later this year, but until then, i am still free to move my piece (the boot, this time) to Temple.

• @tuneslayer  4 weeks

Aha! Whittington's Corollary says this next move should let me win in two! So here goes . . .

Wood Lane! HA ! Take THA . . .

wait, where am I?

Where indeed.. that station didn't join the network till 2008. Unless we're no longer playing Silver Jubilee rules?

Under the circumstances the countermove Geoff Marshall played with the SJ rules in 2018 should bring me one step closer to victory.

Golders Green.

PS Tube fans can thank me later:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd18OhMfRmjMjzSHP7Zrzmw

• @candle  4 weeks

I miss a day & look what happens. Now there's two of you on the cusp of a win and I'm still relegated to the longest running spy film franchise in history. Moneypenny, have you seen Q?

Anyway, let's see what I can do to salvage this regretable situation, shall we?

Well, I guess the Doomsday book might be the way to go. There's that entry about that farmer, Tota, you know. He lived in that hamlet, Toteham - which was quite the place back in the day, I've heard. But that has almost nothing to do with my next move (other than an etymological relationship):

Tottenham Court Road

See You In The Shadows…

• @alyxanderjames  4 weeks

Oh dear, I'm falling behind again. Let's see...yes, I think my next move will catch me up a bit. How about...

Chalk Farm.

• @wr3n 4 weeks

Bowling Green. Don't laugh, I'm rusty

@wr3n Oh, no one's laughing.. yet.

Thanks to you playing Bowling Green I can play this and not be offside.

Russell Square.

• @tuneslayer  4 weeks

Swell. This just isn't my year. First I end up playing a station that doesn't exist (at least not by any normal rules) and then I manage to get back on track, as it were, only to find that what I thought was a copy of Covington's on closer inspection turned out to be a reprint of an Agatha Christie novel. (How was I to know? Other than size, thickness, color and cover illustration they look practically identical.) So much for my intended play of Hickory Road, which you'll have to admit would have been a wonderful coup if it were legal, or non-fictional.

Under the circumstances I'm going to do the totally obvious and play

Edgware

Dull as dishwater, dry as toast, but at least I'm still in the game while I get my bearings and make sure this is the right reality.

• @candle  4 weeks

It may be a dull move, @tuneslayer, but that puts you in an uncanny position. Very sly. Indeed, now I have to re-think my own strategy (again 🙄). Ok, so looking at the way things stand - & with all these other FAWMers playing, I have only a few possible moves that are legal & could possibly help my precarious position. As much as I hate it (because of how this round has progressed so far), I may just have to try a Finkleston Redux (which is allowed under the Jubilee rules it would seem, funny - I thought it had been banned. But that must be a later edition 😲) which puts me at:

Euston

See You In The Shadows…

• @rickatfulcrum  3 weeks

Since everyone seems to be in lockdown with their DAWs now, and since my strategy seems to have worked, I may as well take a moment away from my DAW and the five (!) FAWM projects up on it at the moment.. and win this thing.

Mornington Crescent.

• @candle  3 weeks

Well played @rickatfulcrum. You were at least one step ahead of me the entire match. Again, I was close - just down the line in Euston. My hat is off to you sir. Bravo!

See You In The Shadows…

• @tomslatter  3 weeks

Newbury Park

• @karan  3 weeks

You'll never give up your Central Line bias, won't you, @tomslatter ?
    I have no choice but to fire from all cannons with

Cannon Street

• @tomslatter  3 weeks

@karan I am now into my third year at Newbury Park. I am playing the long game.

Newbury Park.

Since no one has declared the rules, I propose the Starmer Variant Of 2017, in which Overground stations may not be approached by diagonal, and transfer stations remain wild.

Oval.

• @rshakesp  3 weeks

Oh boy I’ve be waiting for that move for days - cos in my back pocket I have this which I don’t need to ex plane.

Heathrow Terminals 1&2

• @celineellis  3 weeks

I should have been thanking you for taking me to heathrow, because i should have been flying to Thailand tomorrow but instead im bracing for snow at home instead. theres only one thing for it

Ruislip

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

2017 rules, eh? About time too! This looks like being a very different shape of a game. Okay, how about.....

Island Gardens!

• @andpow81  3 weeks

It's a good thing we're playing the Starmer Variant, with transfer stations remaining wild and it being a Saturday, I can legally play...
    Elephant and Castle

• @rainchaser  3 weeks

I'm going on board to Brayton station let's see what station it will lead me to.

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

Is that the first time somebody has ever played Brayton in a FAWM Mornington Crescent game?

Also, ANGEL ISLINGTON! ha, thanks for reminding me it's Saturday night, I might have missed that one!

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Well I do believe we should be playing in GMT, and with that making it Sunday morning, I can double back and set up a cross-play at...
    Great Portland Street

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

Well allow me to be the first to play

BATTERSEA POWER STATION

Don't blame me, you set me up for it with "Brayton" and "Angel Islington" one after the other. I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but when @andpow81 played Great Portland Street, I saw my opening, and by Cracky, I took it.

• @candle  3 weeks

I think you're right @calumcarlyle. Starmer Variant, eh? Well, so be it then. I guess that means I need to start at:

Ravenscourt Park (to avoid the flying pig on the wing over Battersea!)

See You In The Shadows…

• @andpow81  3 weeks

@tuneslayer You're right to be proud of that move, and I should have seen it coming. After all, my great-grandfather was involved in the power station's design. Very well, with no other choices, I'm rather backed into a corner at...
    Woolwich Arsenal

Well played you lot. At first it looked like a bunch of rank amateurs throwing darts at a TfL map but the pattern revealed itself with a bit of careful study and a pint of Guinness. So I have precisely one move to avoid being in Nidd.

Bethnal Green.

• @candle  3 weeks

Pints of Guinness always improve the chances of discovering patterns in this game, @rickatfulcrum . Well that move of yours puts me in Nidd, @rickatfulcrum. So I guess I have to pass this turn.

See You In The Shadows…

• @karan  3 weeks

@candle, you apparently overlooked that @rickatfulcrum neglected to close a loophole with which I am now going to pin him down:

Pinner

Oo er I see what you did there @karan. But I think you failed to reckon with the fact that Rule 36 (p. 265 in Stovold) *is* in play here, and that I can easily squirm out of that attempted Robertson Pincer with a Webb And Mitchell Joint Thrust.. although I admit that move did cost me a Numberwang.

Rotherhithe.

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Finally! I can piggyback off that move to gain tempo and pull a Reverse Wellington Switch, leaving me in an advantageous position at...
    Crystal Palace.

• @alyxanderjames  3 weeks

Excuse me, pardon me, yes, I'm just going to sneak past you here and hop into the fray at...
    Shepherd's Bush

• @hornesgiftshop  3 weeks

Only a player with a firm grasp of history could have played that. Unfortunately in the modern game it leaves the inside leg vulnerable.

Homerton.

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

I'm quite sorry that I'm late to the game, and I've reviewed all the past plays (and a renegade copy of the 1983 rules, which I understand are in dispute) but I feel that this would be the best as an opening play:

Walthamstow

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

Well this is a very different type of game as predicted! I am going to have to get off the Northern Line and stretch my muscles for some strategies i've never had to employ before. Let's see now, how about...
    No, actually what about...

Sherpherds Bush Market (Market, mind! don't get excited!)

• @candle  3 weeks

Thank you @kenmattsson, your opening salvo of Walthamstow allows me to get out of Nidd 😁 Thank you!

Now for a move that won't leave any legs vulnerable & allow me to side-step around @andpow81's Reverse Wellington Switch:

Notting Hill Gate

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

@candle, I am happy to allow you to get out of Nidd, but I must now take advantage of the elusive Side Corner Slice move and declare:

Moorgate

• @rainchaser  3 weeks

Oops somehow I ended up in Cowan station how the heck did that happened?! Woooh!

• @candle  3 weeks

@rainchaser Cowen? Well, that puts me in a rather tight predicament, now doesn't it… If I'm not careful I might be back in Nidd. Darn these Starmer Variant 2017 rules. Now, let me flip through my version of said rules (purchased from a one-eyed Gypsy for 7 quid who was working in a fantastical kiosk inside Kings Cross Station back in '19) & see if I can find anything that might help me get out of this little pincher movement you've all enacted against me. Hmmm… yes, here's something on page 114 that might just do the trick (as long as I'm reading it right, it seems to be stained with some unknown substance spilt upon it by its previous owner (see above re: the one-eyed Gypsy)): a Third Rail Phalanx, only allowed under this ruleset after someone has played Battersea (yes! thank you @tuneslayer 😁 ). Which means you can now find me at:

East Putney

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Ah @candle, I see that you neglected to see the rules for the Third Rail Phalanx on page 138 that mentions that if you play that and choose East Putney after Cowan is played, that puts you in Nidd again. So sorry.

South Ruislip

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Well, railroaded again! There's only one option for me after that play, so I guess it'll have to be...

Clapham Common

• @candle  3 weeks

Sacré bleu… (forgive my French 😀 ). I guess I'm destined to be in Nidd this game. I blame that one-eyed Gypsy. That particular passage is covered by some noxious stain. Oh well, at least the scenery is nice.

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

I have pity on poor @candle, and if I read correctly by the Jubilee Rules (which if we are not playing by, I'm invoking here) that if I play Tooting Broadway and someone else plays the next correct play, @candle can get out of Nidd. Let's see if we have crafty and benevolent players here!

• @andpow81  3 weeks

@kenmattsson We're actually on the Starmer Variant of 2017 now, but you're fortunate that the particular maneuver to which you refer carried over from the Jubilee Rules, so, as a crafty and benevolent player, I will assist with @candle 's predicament with an Inverse Non-Central Snedicore, leaving me at...

Holborn

(@candle should have their choice of at least 3 stations now to get out of Nidd)

• @candle  3 weeks

@kenmattsson & @andpow81 - you are both gentlemen of utmost standing! Thank you very much. Now, I think I'm going to burn this copy of the Stamer Varient (the One-Eyed Gypsy Cursed Version, as I have dubbed it!) & get out of Nidd whilst I still can. So, of the three stations I can choose from, I think I'll go with:

Boston Manor

See You In The Shadows…

• @panch  3 weeks

I haven't played this year yet but just today I opened my copy of Noseflute Monthly and, blow me, if it didn't only say in it that the Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) Variant of MC has now been agreed with a commencement date of today.
    I obviously couldn't let this opportunity pass.
    West Drayton.

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Ah, we're going in that direction! I can see that one would have to be careful after @panch's crafty play.

I apologize to @andpow81 for not realizing that we were playing on the Starmer Variant. I stand corrected, but happy that my play is still valid.

Totteridge & Whetstone

Watching all of you foundering and gunning your engines to try and get Ol' Betsy out of the muck, the world is my very oyster it seems. Let's kick this party up a notch, shall we.

Swiss Cottage.

• @calumcarlyle  3 weeks

I did not expect to see us all in this state quite so quickly, but you play the hand you're dealt, I suppose.

Okay, well in that case it's Wimbledon Park for me!

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

Hold on just a minute . . . I thought I was in deep trouble there for a bit, but--and I had to pull out my copies of Stovall's, the Silver Jubilee rules, and Larchcrest's Supplement to make sure I could do this , but yes! Finally I find myself in a good position:

Gloucester Road

Take THAT, "Sir" Branton Bellthwaite!

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Well this brings back memories of the classic Frostrup vs. Paskarov match of 2007, although they were of course using the Abridged Tennyson rules, but I think I can take some inspiration from that particular game and go with...

Marylebone

• @candle  3 weeks

I remember that particular match, @andpow81. Didn't Paskarov win with a Double Kensington Entendre after a six hour melee? Or was that when he beat Grovesner in '09? At any rate, I really appreciated the strategy behind that move & I think it will work in my favour given the current circumstances. So for my Double Kensington Entendre I'm going to move to:

Sudbury Hill

See You In The Shadows…

Ah *now* the game's afoot! DLR here we come!

Canning Town.

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Ah, I take a little break and I see that all has run amuck! While I can't manage the Double Kensington Entendre, I will take my first attempt at a Shropshire Slide and play

North Acton

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

My, aren't we the audacious one? A Shropshire Slide following a series of Double Kensington Entendres. Few can pull that off and get anything more than style points, so I tip my hat to you, @kenmattsson . That's the sort of audacity that topples empires, repairs cracked windscreens and makes rivers run sideways. What can I do after that but:

Oakwood

Risky I know, but I remember Uberwald using that against Malarkey about 15 or so years ago in a private match and it worked well for him.

It worked out well for him after about seven or eight months, but I can afford to be patient.

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Can you indeed? I believe if nobody stops me with a cunning play, I can win this in one more move, which should take less than seven or eight months after I play...

Oxford Circus

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Aha! I see that @tuneslayer and @andpow81 have both fallen for my trap. Under the Starmer Variant addendum from 2006 (Isle of Wight edition) that if Oakwood and Oxford Circus are played in order after a Shropshire Slide, that I may jump like a rugby player with the ball and land at

Mornington Crescent!

@kenmattsson very nicely and neatly done — I'd totally forgotten about the Wight addendum, and by the way that try was pretty stylish. In retrospect I think my Canning Town move might have been a little rash.. as are most DLR moves under Starmer, frankly.

Someone else should call the rules for the next game perhaps?

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

Brilliantly done @kenmattsson ! have to admit I was not at all looking forward to having to wait half a year or more for my plan to play out. And now that you jog my memory, neither did Uberwald, since Malarkey basically pulled off the same maneuver. But I was correct in remembering that it worked out well for Uberwald, since he won £75,000 3/6 from Malarkey in a snooker match. (Why the prize money included 3/6 so many years after decimalization is a story unto itself, and you might be able to get Uberwald to tell it to you if you can ply him with enough liquor and you're willing to risk a re-enactment of the Schnapps-am-Wein incident.)

I'm open to suggestions on the rules for this next round. I would suggest that we disallow the 1989 Brighton ruleset, as it is written entirely in Esperanto, which I don't think anyone here but me can read.

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Congratulations @kenmattsson ! I should have known things were going too well for me.

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Actually @tuneslayer, I can also read Esperanto, but I wouldn't want to have an unfair advantage going into the next round.

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

Jen l'afero, oni povus akuzi nin (ĝuste) ke ni havus malmaljustan avantaĝon.

Of course in these days of Google Translate you'd think everybody can read Esperanto, so we wouldn't necessarily have an unfair advantage, but considering that most people don't know that you can force a next-move win if you can get to Zamenhof-Platz by using the . . . well I'd better stop there, hadn't I.

Getting back to the rules we actually _do_ plan to use, I propose the Cavendish compendium, although I'd prefer to use the blue racquets instead of the red. No strategic reason, I just like their shade of blue.

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Ah, a rule-set we can all agree on! Don't think I didn't notice what you did there with the racquets though, very clever to make Canons Park a direct-to-Nidd move. With that in mind, I shall ignore the Silver line entirely, and get this ball rolling with...

Notting Hill Gate

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Capital idea @tuneslayer, my only question is: are we penalized for using the red racquets, or is it just a bonus to use the blue?

Chalfont & Latimer

• @celineellis  3 weeks

blue racquets? In a starmer variant? are you trying to cause a repeat of 2016??? im going to make sure that doesnt happen again....

cockfosters!

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

So, I see that @celineellis is originally from North Wales. That makes me wonder if we don't have Mrs. Trellis in our midst!

Starmer Variant is done and dusted, it's Cavendish Compendium now. Which means first of all that the blue racquets are only to be used on green shuttlecocks and low-flying sparrows if you intend to move to a transfer station, which grants bonuses and the possibility of Fabulous Prizes™ if you can avoid Nidd.

Secondly that it's time for cherries. For the pipe mixture, don't you know. So I can think of no better strategic position at which to start myself off than here:

Covent Garden.

• @celineellis  3 weeks

@rickatfulcrum thank god for that - but i'm sure you understand why I wasnt able to take the risk. Im still washing the blue glitter out of my uniform 5 years later!

@kenmattsson that would be telling!!!

With a sense of reverie I give you

Wood Green

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

Well at least we managed to avoid the Second Tuesday Exception by starting on Wednesday and/or Thursday depending on where you are. That's the trouble with these international games, you need a paid-up subscription to Tanstaafl's Almanac to keep up. Not that we don't all have one of those, I mean we're not complete noobs, but still.

So interesting opening, with @celineellis leading off with Wood Green I am going to get this party started in earnest:

Liverpool Street

But if you think I'm going to tell you which two lines lead directly to Nidd and which two are open, you are definitely whistling Dixie. Or perhaps Brian Boru's March.

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

@tuneslayer, I see your Brian Boru's March and raise you a Morpeth Rant!

I know this is a daring play, but a man must sometimes grab all the life he can and play with gusto.

Barkingside

• @candle  3 weeks

I have to go to work for the first time since Yule & I come back & the game's completely changed again - which in my case is probably a good thing since I was dangerously close to Nidd (again). Well, then Cavendish Compendium, that is an edition I truly enjoy playing. I remember the first time I got my hands on the Compendium, I swear it was a July day in October some time around March. At any rate, the tome was on sale for five quid & I thought, well - that's a heck of a deal. So I grabbed it. It's been my favourite ever since. Speaking of favourites, I think I'll start with my favourite opening gambit:

Willesden Junction

See You In The Shadows…

@candle Willesden Jct directly from Barkingside? Careful, you're playing with fire there. Because someone could put the Squeeze on you.. as I'm about to do.

Deptford Bridge.

• @andpow81  3 weeks

I see your Squeeze and I raise you a Hemmelbert's Compression.

Barbican

• @celineellis  3 weeks

Ha, i m not sure if you all remember David Flax's legendary move, that completely flipped the Cavendish Compendium on its head, causing the 2017 rewrite in fact. He played this inspired move....

Burnt Oak

• @alyxanderjames  3 weeks

Let's see here, I believe the Cavendish Compendium allows this move without sending me straight to Nidd (unless I'm reading it wrong; my copy has some pages stuck together thanks to what I'm hoping was just an unfortunate soda incident before I came into possession of it)...

Baker Street

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Ah, fond memories of watching David Flax's amazing play. The combination of shuttlecocks and cricket bats was masterful, and quite inspiring. I still have my autographed program framed on my wall.

And with that Burnt Oak play, I'll have to see if I can get past the Hemmelbert's Compression by playing

Upton Park

• @andpow81  3 weeks

Ah, Flax, the man was a genius. And indeed, Upton Park will get you past the Hemmelbert's Compression, but you should be snookered, unless you have a Chance Card.
    Now I've been playing conservatively up to this point, and the strategy has been pretty handy, so I'll keep it going with a nice, safe play of...
    Brixton

• @rainchaser  3 weeks

I have forgotten where left off but let's see where Centennial Station will take me to.

• @tomslatter  3 weeks

Newbury Park.

(Now, I'm technically in a different round to you lot, having begun a Wabsnasm's layover in Newbury Park two years ago, but can I point out that two separate players have wrongly declared Mornington Crescent despite neither of them presenting a brass token at any of the Norman Latimer stations in either their last southwards or previous widdershins moves.

Very surprised you missed this.)

• @tuneslayer  3 weeks

Sigh. By the time I noticed the lack of a brass token it was too late. Tudor Court rules would have allowed me to declare the previous three moves (including the MC) invalid, put the guilty party in Nidd and I would have gotten a free months' membership in the Kazakh Association for Betterment of Playing of Glorious Game of Dashzhvigsvili Crescent, not that they've been active since 1969 but it's the thought that counts. But since we're playing Cavendish, the statute of limitations ran out thirty-five furlongs after the move was posted, so we just have to buck up and move on.

I should have known my playing Liverpool Street wouldn't trip up anybody here. Oh well, at times like this I try to ask myself, What would David Flax do? Besides try to get me to buy him another drink, I mean. Since I really have no idea, I'll do best effort:

Manor House

• @kenmattsson  3 weeks

Well, I was blissfully unaware of the brass token requirement, and as no one brought it up, I feel fully in my right to claim the win in the last round and will treasure it forever. To make up for it, here is a widdershins diagonal with a look southwards and move to

Wanstead

• @tomslatter  3 weeks

Newbury Park

• @candle  2 weeks

A widdershins diagonal at this point in the game. @kenmattsson that's bold. And here I am trying to stay afloat just north of the Thames (ironic given my profession as Lifeguard & Swimming Instructor, I know. But life is simply one irony after another, n'est-ce pas?). You lot leave me no choice, in order to save face (and probably a few pence on a train ticket), I have to play a Manchurian Turnaround (legal according to Page 56 of the current chosen ruleset):

Devons Road

See You In The Shadows…

• @rickatfulcrum  2 weeks

Hmm.. Devons Road. Cunning. Now let's see how you all fare against Percival's Overground Gambit.

Riddlesdown.

• @celineellis  2 weeks

Errrrr am I the only one that notice @tomslatter quite blatant reuse of Newbury Park?! I know what your doing Tom, and you won’t get that past me, my friend. I am an avid fan of the late 1980’s version of this game, and I was watching a YouTube video recently which demonstrated the catastrophic effects the ‘Newbury double drop’ on some of the most seasoned of players. Now I know, that you know how many turns you must sit silently waiting so you can steal the game. And I know that you know that I know i can’t let that happen. What you don’t know that I know is I always play a ‘87 paradoxical blocker in all my games. So I know that you don’t know that I know I can....

Mornington Crescent !

• @candle  2 weeks

Ouch. Well played @celineellis !

Round 5 anyone? (I think it's five now?) How about the Stratfordshire Ruleset? It was made famous at the '97 International Invitational in Manchester. How about it? So I'll start us off with an opening salvo of:

Royal Oak

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  2 weeks

Just to check, did @celineellis pick up the brass token before declaring Mornington Crescent? Asking for a friend.

But seeing as we are already off and running with the Stratfordshire Ruleset (I was partial to the Devon Ruleset, but @candle hi-hoseyed it before me,) I'll seek to get this round moving along with

Wembley Central

• @tuneslayer  2 weeks

Holy cow, I go off to write a song and look what happens. Well that should teach me, but it won't, because I still have four songs to go.

And here I barely had a chance to dust off my blue racquet. Oh well.

Let's see . . . Stratfordshire Ruleset, today is Sunday UTC, the dew's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn . . . that means I can play

Maida Vale

Which is admittedly a conservative move but the fancy stuff hasn't gotten me anywhere, so let's go with the tried and true early on.

• @rainchaser  2 weeks

Ok so after spending time at Centennial Station having Rahm Schnitzel at German Diner , I decided hop on again this time to

Graham

• @tomslatter  2 weeks

@celineellis You are absolutely right. But, as mentioned, I'm into my third year at Newbury Park, and don't intend for my plan to come to fruition until FAWM 2023 at the earliest. By which time I assume everyone will have forgotten your comment and not noticed my tactics.

Wahahaha. Wahahahahahahah Wahahahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!

• @celineellis  2 weeks

@tomslatter I am in fact in awe of you brilliance and strategic excellence. It’s an inspired and calculated move. One could even liken it to having a ‘sloth at your core!’ With that level of patience! But back to the new round in play,

St. John’s Wood

• @kenmattsson  2 weeks

Ah, now that we're playing Stratfordshire Ruleset, I can safely play this without the "direct to Nidd" consequence.

Canons Park

Nicely done @celineellis. Your Gleason Quandary paid off tremendously.

So it's Stratfordshire eh? Having lived in Stratford (over here, not over there) and still smarting from the fact that I went overground twice and got burned both times, I'll play it safe.

Tooting Bec.

• @candle  2 weeks

Tooting Bec, that's a good move @rickatfulcrum. It opens up a West Coast Switchback for me. Thank you! That means I can play (with impunity):

Ealing Broadway

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  2 weeks

Well, this game has gotten a little stagnant, so I'm going to jump ahead of some of the other players:

Watford

Yeah well, music. I guess. Been working on one thing for a week now and waiting to steal time to actually cut even a quiet vocal. But the game must go on. (Mustn't it?)

Upminster Bridge.

• @candle  2 weeks

Stagnant? Well, maybe a little. But like one of my favourite Philosophers famously said: I think I'm going to start philosophizing with hammer strokes. In that case, I'll play:

Hammersmith

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  2 weeks

I guess we are all in the "mid afternoon" of our FAWM time, and all of us are mentally taking a nap. I know that's how it feels to me. I will challenge @celineellis @tuneslayer @tomslatter @alyxanderjames @rainchaser @andpow81 @rickatfulcrum @candle and @rickatfulcrum to defy my next bold move:

Becontree

• @candle  2 weeks

Mid afternoon indeed. And Becontree, that's an interesting about face, @kenmattsson. Now I must revise my own strategy in order to contend with this turn of events. Hmmmm… seems the only thing I have going for me is a Rail Spike Variant, which means I will play:

Sloane Square

See You In The Shadows…

• @celineellis  2 weeks

I’d like to think people are still absorbing my Newbury double drop take down. I’m not one for blowing my own trumpet, but even I thought it was an inspired move. I’ve so far had 3 contacts with people who want to document the move for future prosperity, and one MC analyst who will be teaching that exact move at his next zoom lecture. (I will share a YouTube link as soon as I have it) So with all the interviews and press I am going to be taking this round a little easier....

Covent Garden

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Thank you @celineellis, yes, I think you are correct, in that everyone is just dumbfounded by your brilliant play. I look forward to the expert commentary by the analysts.

Given that, you have inspired me to play something that I've never done before and only dreamed of:

Cockfosters (said in as close to a Sandy Toksvig accent that I can get)

• @tomslatter  1 week

@kenmattsson Newbury Park

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

Cor blimey you lot are forcing me back overground. I may yet live to regret this.. or to bask in eventual and exquisite triumph.

Cutty Sark For Maritime Greenwich.

• @calumcarlyle  1 week

What about Hoxton?

• @candle  1 week

This suddenly got serious, didn't it? Cockfosters, Newbury Park, Cutty Sark FMG & Hoxton. How does one possibly follow those up without ending up in Nidd? I'll need some slick move like @celineellis' now famous Newbury Double (though @tomslatter blocked me on that score), so I'll need to figure something out quick. Hmmm… yes, I think I see an opening that just might work. It'll require an East Saxony Double Fake:

Leytonstone

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Ah @candle, cunning move. That East Saxony Double Fake was so dangerous yet successful. I applaud you!

How to follow that up? Well, as I'm partial to Lambeth:

Brixton

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

Oh good, I can duck back under cover now. You probably shouldn't have let me do that.

Ealing Common.

• @celineellis  1 week

Sorry i havent been to active in the game of late. Truth be known, i have been in discussions with the director of Netflix's Queens Gambit to assist them in storyboarding a pilot episode of a Mornington Crescent themed mini series. Needless to say, once i started explaining even some of the basics they were dumbfounded and confused, even dazed at times. ive sent them off too absorb the underground stations by means of song (in keeping with FAWM associations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPyg2pK11M)

Anyway onto my move.......Angel

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

Why am I not surprised Geoff Marshall (see above) filmed that? Anyway don't call me angel.

Oh that was your *move*. Well I'm sorry but I've got to cut that off before this goes off the rails.. so to say.

Bromley-By-Bow.

• @candle  1 week

@celineellis - you're becoming quite the Crescent celebrity. I could see you publishing your own book of variant rules to help promote your Crescent Empire. In lieu of that, I think I'll just hunker down at:

Swiss Cottage

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Ah, I see things are getting dicey, with @celineellis showing her expertise (no doubt to get more publishing offers). Well, bold times call for bold measures:

Dagenham Heathway

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

Dagenham Heathway? Exactly the move I hoped for. Now I can diagonal to:

Barbican.

• @celineellis  1 week

@rickatfulcrum i secretly love Geoff Marshall!!

Don’t worry peeps, I won’t forget my humble origins playing with you all when I reach the dizzy heights of the platinum grandmaster edition ruleset - reserved for only the most dedicated servants of the game. I will place it next to my millennium ‘Y2K’ misprinted ruleset that was signed by Enoch Hobart himself.

In fact my next move is inspired by the great man himself....

Victoria

• @candle  1 week

Ah yes, I fondly remember that match where Enoch Hobart first made that Victoria move after a diagonal to Barbican. He went on to win the match in three moves. It was an amazing example of his skill & ingenuity. So we all should watch out: a possible checkmate in three by @celineellis if we're not careful. Well, there's only one move that I can fathom that may prevent @celineellis' win in three moves (fathom being an operative term in an odd sort of way, it would seem 😉 ). Here we go, a Zone 1 Bridge Crossing to stave off a checkmate:

Waterloo

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Quite right @candle. We have to tread quite carefully here. I've been scouring the annals of past play to see what we can do stave off another win by @celineellis. This is the one that I feel will take everyone by surprise and bring a little havoc energy to the game:

Heathrow Terminal 4

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

@celineellis Geoff and Vicky are such fun to watch!

@candle @kenmattsson I think we need to pray that your moves to Waterloo and Heathrow 4 will do the trick. Personally I'd have gone to 2 & 3, just to shore up the phalanx in waiting, but as I'm close by I may as well light a votive and toss a quid onto the collection plate.

St Paul's.

• @kenmattsson  1 week

As a sidenote (not to disturb from the game) but you absolutely must here @tuneslayer's most recent song, which has a Mornington Crescent theme. https://fawm.org/songs/121279/

• @tuneslayer  1 week

After that kind mention by Ken, how can I possibly respond?

Well, like this of course:

Blackfriars

I mean for anyone who's studied his Agrippa, as I have, it's the only sensible move.

• @candle  1 week

Oh Blackfriars! Thank you @tuneslayer 😁 That opens up a dazzling set of circumstances for me. From Waterloo (my last move), all I need to do is to undertake a successful Siding Switchback & pick up the brass token & declare:

Mornington Crescent

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  1 week

Wait, but --

I --

you --

where --

they --

how --

Flax --

. . . what just happened?

• @celineellis  1 week

@Candle that was an astounding play - bravo!!! I think you have floored @tuneslayer with that one! rightly so - inspired move!

May i propose a round using the Dale Winton 'Sweep' rule set? this means all stations ending in a D, W and S need to be followed by a valid line switch?

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Oh my @candle, I certainly didn't see that coming! Congratulations on a tremendous and unexpected play. I must remember that I need to pick up the brass ring first and remember the Waterloo/Blackfriars connection. I feel I'm such a beginner at this game.

So, are we up for another round? What rules are we going to play by this time? Since @tuneslayer was so put out, I think he should call the ruleset.

• @candle  1 week

Sorry @tuneslayer

I like the Dale Winton "Sweep" suggestion by @celineellis, but let's let @tuneslayer decide for this final FAWM stretch.

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  1 week

Why are you apologizing? You saw an opportunity and you took it. Any of us would have done the same.

The Dale Winston "Sweep" is a fine idea. Did you see that David Flax has come out with his own compendium? Let's throw the two of them in with the Trinidad Ephemeris, and if you don't mind, I'll start off:

Amersham

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

Well done @candle, we were so busy minding @celineellis that no one saw you, er, in the shadows.

I'm fine with the Winston Sweep. See what you make of this:

Plaistow.

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Ah, we're having a spirited start to what I'm assuming might be the final game of February. I am definitely here for it (and only have one more song to write to get to my 14 this February!). I'll go with something safe as I have avoided Nidd for the past three rounds:

Bayswater

• @celineellis  1 week

Yes! I love a good Dale Sweep round - and a classic start thus far from you guys. Don't you think the calibre of MC plays has been raised this year? along with the calibre of songs I have had the pleasure of listening too also! I will continue with a text book manoeuvre

Golders Green

• @candle  1 week

Indeed, these have been high calibre games with some top-notch players. It's been a pleasure & a privilege to play with you all. But that doesn't mean we aren't going to make this last round sporting!

Uxbridge

See You In The Shadows…

• @calumcarlyle  1 week

I'm glad we are using these more modern rule sets since this means I can open with...

Emirates Greenwich Peninsula!

• @kenmattsson  1 week

Oh my @calumcarlyle, I haven't seen such a bold opening move since the 2003 Devon Invitational by Richard Uppingham-Smythe. Quite inspiring. I see that I need to up the game and go for something more bold, like:

Rayners Lane

• @rickatfulcrum  1 week

@kenmattsson rather daring for this early in the game, that, but.. not daring enough.

Nunhead.

• @andpow81  1 week

Oh dear, daring is really not my style.

Euston, I suppose

• @candle  1 week

Well this is going to be an interesting game. I think I'll make it a little more interesting (since we're playing Dale Winston "Sweep"):

West Harrow

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  1 week

I see that cunning move @candle, and the stakes are getting higher as we get closer to the end of the month. I'm going to try the diagonal that has been so popularly played during this month and search for that brass ring at

Finchley Central

• @celineellis  1 week

I like the cut of your jib @kenmattsson. im starting to run out of plays (like i am running out of songs) but try this little gem on for size....

Heron Quays

• @rickatfulcrum  6 days

Oh that nearly put me in Nidd and cost me another Numberwang. But I do see a way forward.. on the trams.

Elmers End.

• @candle  6 days

Tram Line escape, eh @rickatfulcrum - well played. That was pretty narrow, but you made it. Good for you. Well, then. The pieces on the board are really starting to converge & I feel like my options are also beginning to be limited. Though, I might be alright given the Junction Crossing rule on page 45 of the Trinidad Ephemeris ruleset:

Willesden Junction

See You In The Shadows…

• @kenmattsson  6 days

I applaud both @candle and @rickatfulcrum for your crafty plays to get out of tight spots. Invoking the Junction Crossing reference is quite ingenious. I think one of my few options now is:

Gants Hill

• @tuneslayer  6 days

The caliber of play this year has been quite good, and I think one of the main surprises for me is that if you follow the thread from beginning to end over the course of several games, you can actually watch the quality improve. Very impressive.

Hm, Gants Hill, eh. That calls for a Central-to-Victoria Jeté, which I know is out of fashion, but sometimes when the opportunity presents itself, fashion be hanged.

Walthamstow Central

• @candle  6 days

(It's not my turn, I'd just like a point of clarification, @tuneslayer played Walthamstow Central - does that count as a "Station that ends in 'W' " as per the Dale Winston "Sweep" rules? Nice Jeté, BTW @tuneslayer 😁 )

(See You In The Shadows…)

• @rickatfulcrum  6 days

Re @candle's point, since there's also a Walthamstow Queens Road station, I'm gonna suggest that @tuneslayer's move actually ends with L.

Of course, that puts me in Nidd.

• @calumcarlyle  6 days

I'm not sure that it does, under the Dale Winton rules, but I may have misread.

Anyway, my next move doesn't end in a W but it does have a couple of Ws in it, it is of course:

Woolwich Arsenal

• @kenmattsson  5 days

Very gentlemanly of you @rickatfulcrum, but I would agree with @calumcarlyle that you are certainly not in Nidd and live to play another round!

I'm new to the Dale Winston "Sweep" play, so I'm just going to make a safe move to

Turnham Green

• @rickatfulcrum  5 days

Nah I was definitely in Nidd for a moment there, Stovold vol. XVI (p 312, Rule 3.2.VIII.ix) explicitly says so regarding Victoria Line terminus transfers that are also diagonals.

Anyway I'm out of Nidd now. So let's see.. while I was bobbing for apples it was Woolwich Arsenal and then Turnham Green. That keeps me above ground where I'm exposed, but I do have a third mask on my person — nothing in the rules says I can't have more than two — so I'll try my luck at the other end of town.

Grange Hill.

• @candle  5 days

Nidd so early in this joust, well you played it very gentlemanly, @rickatfulcrum. And good on you for the Grange Hill move. Very tactful. So yes, the board has morphed quite a bit since my last play & things seem to be opening up just a little. I see a few possible moves, but I have to figure out which one is most advantageous. Hmmm… I too think I'll go overground via a diagonal - though I still end up at an Interchange:

West Hampstead

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  5 days

Well then. West Hampstead ends in a "D", despite what Millicent Trugbuzzle tried to argue at the Alternate Reality Invitational last year. (Who can forget that? However hard we try.) And since this is a Saturday in February . . .

(consults the Ephemeris)

Yes, Jubilee to Bakerloo is a valid line switch until 8:00 PM MCST. So:

Queen's Park

• @calumcarlyle  5 days

I was reading somewhere that the London Underground network is now so extensive that it should not be possible to reach Mornington Crescent in fewer than 47 moves, if using a ruleset from 2012 onwards, barring cheats and bluffs. This seems quite incredible to me.

Imagine trying to play a game way back in the early days of the London Underground back in 1863, with only seven stations, and none of them actually being Mornington Crescent!

As it happens, Mornington Crescent Station wasn't opened until 1907, by which time there were somewhere between fifty and a hundred stations on the network (i stopped counting shortly after fifty, but feel free to count them yourself!*) providing immediately a fertile playing board for avid Edwardians seeking to hone their strategic skills.

Anyway, in that spirit, my next move is as valid today as it would have been 114 years ago:

Goodge Street!

*This is the earliest tube map to actually feature Mornington Crescent.

• @tomslatter  5 days

Newbury Park

• @kenmattsson  5 days

Ah @tuneslayer, I recommend putting Millicent Trugbuzzle out of your mind. I've heard that she's coming up for disciplinary action for that nasty confrontation at the East Anglian Championship of 2019 (they are getting to it only now because of COVID social distancing rules), where she tried to hipcheck the champion from Tyne and Wear when he executed the double sideways shuttlecock move. Very unsportsmanlike.

Anyway, it's time to bring the game back to

Elephant & Castle

• @candle  5 days

That's a wonderful English restaurant in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, @kenmattsson. Never actually had a chance to eat there, but it's on my list. Anyway, back to the task at hand (tho, I see @tomslatter is still busking in Newbury Park). @calumcarlyle, that is some fascinating history. I really like the map - a very cool find. It would be awesome as a poster framed in a gaming room (tho, the significance might be lost on those who've never played our favourite game!). Sorry, that was another tangent. Yes, I have to make my move before I end up in Nidd.

Baker Street

See You In The Shadows…

• @rickatfulcrum  5 days

Ooo, a quadruple lutz from @candle. I now have my pick of Metropolitan, Jubilee, Circle, and Bakerloo.. so I'm going to lateral back to the District.

Dagenham Heath.

• @celineellis  5 days

Some world class plays being exhibited here! I’m writing them all down and will feature them in my forth coming book of the best MC plays in history. Of course I will credit each of you if you feature (small print in the back only of course) one play I will definitely be discussing is the 2000 January prelim to the annual MC rule book addendum meeting. This was where Tony Taylor was left reeling when a mere novice managed to take his annual crown with a double side chained recurl from Dagenham Heath to Leicester Square. Inspired, but alas not permitted in a Dale Winton rule set. So I will settle for....

Tower Hill

• @kenmattsson  4 days

@celineellis Quite exciting that we may all yet be able to drag upon your coattails of MC fame. I can't believe that I'll be able to say that I've played with greatness. I can at least take pride in my one win with this highly esteemed set of players.

Given that we're at the end of February, I could either go nostalgic or completely off the rails with my next play. Let's go with

Marylebone

• @rickatfulcrum  4 days

@celineellis my agent will be in touch if that should come to pass.

@kenmattsson awesome move, but it does allow me to pop back above ground via Tennyson's Conundrum. I am within striking distance, catch me if you can!

Kentish Town West.

• @celineellis  4 days

Watch and learn fellas. Watch. And learn.
    I don’t always explain my genius moves (ok I do but that’s because I want to make sure you are in full appreciation of my awesomeness, just incase I’m too subtle) I will keep this one brief as we very nearly tip over into March here. Kentish Town west following a stop at Marylebone is a text book play in a Dale Winton. And it does a fine job of deflecting from my Tower Hill play earlier. So I now have 2 possible plays to go for a second win. I could take the telvanni switchback option but I don’t drive an Italian car. So I’m left with the option of a green energy fallback manoeuvre which I believe I invented myself. I don’t like to blow my own trumpet too much about that but it is widely documented on several YouTube videos and podcasts. So let’s go green energy and see if you can anticipate my next move.....

Canning Town!

(PS you guys know I’m in MC character here right?!)

• @berni1954  4 days

I seem to have gone off the rails and ended up in Plaça Catalunya, Barcelona... Must have taken the wormhole route. How did that happen? My intended move was Abbey Road.

• @kenmattsson  4 days

Ok @candle and @tuneslayer, it's your turn to throw a spanner into this play. I have faith in you. I'd have my own devious idea, but it's not my turn.

• @tuneslayer  4 days

Canning Town? A canny move (see what i did there?) but not quite canny enough, because a careful reading of Stovold (volume XX, page 293, subsection (a)(4)(ð) before the sub-subsection on hippogriffs) allows me to do a double line cross into a triple diagonal shift, grabbing the brass token on the way and straight on to

Mornington Crescent!

Well done all!

• @kenmattsson  4 days

@tuneslayer goes from gobsmacked to gobsmacking! This seems to be a repeat of the Tony Taylor episode but instead with @celineellis. Granted, @tuneslayer is not the novice (especially with that move!)

I hadn't expected that it would all go down this quickly, especially given that I was in "watch and learn" mode.

• @candle  4 days

Congrats @tuneslayer! A well deserved win on this, the last day of FAWM MMXXI.

@kenmattsson: that was certainly a spanner thrown into this play! 😁

Good game all!

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  4 days

Thank you @candle (and @kenmattsson and @celineellis and @berni1954 and @rickatfulcrum and all), i can truly say I've played with and learned from the best this year. Mornington Crescent and the skirmishes are the two elements of FAWM I most look forward to every year.

I now plan to spend the next 11 months doing research, analyzing old games of the masters and upping my own game . . . primarily by hunting down old episodes of I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue and giggling uncontrollably.

Speaking of which, I don't know how many of you know about this, but I found it the other day on the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/ISIHAC_Humph/

It's a set of 14 episodes of ISIHAC from between 1999 and 2004, plus a short clip of the game Cow, Lake, Bomb (Paper, Scissors, Stone), "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Desert Island," two Christmas specials, and two tributes to Humph.

And so, as the sands of time's beach work their way into the eternity of my bathing suit, I notice it's the end of February. So on behalf of everybody, goodbye.

(Imagine the cast and chorus singing "We'll Meet Again" with Colin on the piano and Humph on the trumpet)

• @candle  4 days

That's a great find @tuneslayer. Thanks for sharing!

See You In Shadows…

p.s. I'm singing along with the cast as we fade out…

• @celineellis  4 days

@tuneslayer - HOW???? how could you know that??? there must be a..... I cant find a....... it cant be!!!! I doth my cap to you Tuneslayer! i took my eye off the ball and got too big for my own boots. claiming my 14th FAWM song for the first time ever must have gone to my head. I feel i have let myself down, but at the same time, its so good to see so many awesome MC players coming forward in the ranks. It truely has been a month of excitement and whirlwind plays. some i will remember for decades to come (and claim as my own in my forthcoming memoir) and some I will want to forget due to the massive oversights i made and under estimations of oppositions!. Thanks all for a superb game this year

Until next time.....

• @rickatfulcrum  3 days

@tuneslayer well played sir. I agree that the calibre of play this year was a marked step up from years past and I enjoyed every moment of strategy and smack talk. And a touching time-and-eternity sendoff worthy of the old trumpet master himself. No, I'm not crying, you're crying.

• @kenmattsson  3 days

Playing Mornington Crescent and having witnessed so many good plays (and players) has been a revolutionary part of my first complete FAWM. I came into this game as a novice, and have learned so much. I must see if I can purchase my own copy of Stovold (the one with the blue cover, not the green) before next year's competition (as I *will* return to play again).

I've also gotten to hear some great music from all of you, and I've gotten two collabs out of this with @tuneslayer and @berni1954. It's been a tremendous trip.

Now to process:
    1. What did I actually write this year, and what do I want to do with it
    2. What did everyone else write that I need to listen to
    3. What does this mean for my artistic future
    4. Coming down off a FAWM high, and
    5. Getting some rest.

Thanks to you all! I've been inspired by each of you!

• @celineellis  3 days

@rickatfulcrum im not crying, you are!

• @calumcarlyle  3 days

My better half actually worked on the show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue around 2003-2004. When Mornington Crescent came up in the FAWM forums however many years ago I mentioned it to her she commented with a straight face "I never really understood the rules of that game..."

My involvement was minimal but I do dimly recall meeting Graeme Garden, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Barry Cryer at breakfast once, in Brighton I think, when the show was on tour (or something?). It was a long time ago now!

• @candle  3 days

@calumcarlyle, maybe you need to buy a copy of the Original Modern Rules to help her understand the game. She might enjoy playing it. Could even become a family game night tradition 😉

@rickatfulcrum I most certainly am not crying. Some dust fell from the rafters and landed in my eye. It must be @tuneslayer crying after his final dramatic win 😉

See You In The Shadows…

• @tuneslayer  3 days

Me? Crying? Certainly not. It's . . . it's allergies, I tell you. Allergies.

• @kenmattsson  10 hours

And this is the way it ends....soft gentle sobbing as we all slowly walk away....

• @berni1954  3 hours

@tuneslayer Thanks so much for the ISIHAC link. I have been binge listening for the last couple of days whenever I have a domestic chore (or the cooking - NOT a chore) to do. The early shows demonstrate just how much the politically correct movement was needed though 😁

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...