100 Songs in 180 Days Starts April 4th

Skip to the bottom

• @tcelliott  Mar 28

Double your 50/90 and start April 4th.

FACEBOOK GROUP HERE: https://www.facebook.com/groups/13384...

FAQ erm.. NAQ (Never asked questions)
    Is there a place to upload songs?
    - No. No, there isn't. Share a link on this thread or on social media. Tag it #imgoingeffingcrazysoimdoingsomethingcrazier
    Okay, scratch that. Tag it 100in180

Is anyone participating?
    - I dunnae. Maybe. I was talking to Peter on FB and he acted interested. But he might've just been polite.

At any rate, regardless of this "challenge" please keep being creative. It's the best strategy to survive this mess.

• @andygetch  Mar 28

I presume that an April 4 start is to coincide with the end of 50/90? Given my current retirement preview and need to do something crazier creative for the new normal foreseeable future, yeah, I'm in. I must admit I have done 100 in 50/90 so....... @tcelliott I m wondering if song postings might also work in a Slack channel or a Facebook group.

• @tcelliott  Mar 28

Yeah, a spot would be nice. For Jamuary I just shared a song every day on my fb page. That was interesting.

• @robynmackenzie  Mar 29

I'm wondering if a Facebook group would be the way to go. That way people can post songs as they write them and you can turn on group tags so people can tag posts as challenges, collaboration requests, self-promotion, etc. I'm more than happy to set that up and admin if people are interested.

• @tcelliott  Mar 29

I don't know how many, but we have a few days yet. If it's a group that can be used for other side projects (from FAWM and 50/90) that'd be ideal. But whatever works.

• @andygetch  Mar 29

yay @robynmackenzie LMK if I can help with a Facebook group. I already am a moderator in the Song Skirmish Facebook group and another one for our local EV owners. Easy enough, just check out people who request to join, which I think this might bring different people in, and deal with the very rare inappropriate post. Also I am in the FAWM Slack group so easy enough to add a 100in180 channel.

• @coolparadiso  Mar 29

i would try to do this, i expect i will write that many anyway

• @ustaknow Mar 29

When does 365in365 start?
    - Well, I guess we have that in the FB for FAWM songwriters group, so, never mind πŸ˜€

• @robynmackenzie  Mar 29

@andygetch @tcelliott Cool. I mean, there’s the group specifically for Fawmers to post recorded music but that’s more for the off-season. There has also been a suggestion to use Rocktober as it still allows uploads of songs. But I can totally make a fb group and add you as admins if that’s the way we wanna go.

• @gubna Mar 29

Whoa. Just saw this. I'm going to contemplate this. That was my grandma's birthday.

Will there be weekend skirmishes?

• @andygetch  Mar 29

@robynmackenzie @tcelliott I'm happy to be an admin for the group. @gubna I would imagine that I am going to need the full array of songwriting games, including skirmishes to keep me going that long.

• @tcelliott  Mar 29

I'm good with using the fawmers group or a new one. Up to you both. And if you want I can be a moderator of the group. If you don't want then I'm perfectly fine merely being a participant. I would recommend at least two, though.

• @andygetch  Mar 30

@robynmackenzie @tcelliott I was in the FAWM'ers Who Want To Post Their Recorded Music and my impression is that group is for people who want to post and somewhat self-promote their polished, possibly professionally recorded music. I know that @helenseviltwin used to (EDIT/CORRECTION: point people there from the main FAWM group where song posting is discouraged and the admin/mod there) now it is Chris Rollason, but I don't know his current FAWM user name and feel like it would be polite to check with the admins/mods of that group before posting hundreds of 100in180 songs there. Seems to be a different purpose than the 100in180 idea.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 30

@andygetch - I was never involved with that group, other than pointing people to it so they don't post their songs in the FAWM facebook group. Also not sure of Chris Rollason's FAWM name. Sorry I can't help.

• @andygetch  Mar 30

oops sorry 'bout that and (edited above post) thanks for the reply @helenseviltwin πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 30

I kind of have a side interest, not go/no go on the group, - hey, go4it! πŸ˜€ and God bless!

However, for example, doesn't "elliott" have a prompt group already; "georgie" a prompt group; and et alia... also, e.g., all the "lets have a corona challenge" and do it here, here, oh maybe here... or here?

Who is it, what is it that does not exist that may exist in, not in what's not here now πŸ˜‰ Uno? πŸ˜€ But could be if this then occurred. It's just a curiousity really and could as well just be ignored, rhetorical.

However, after the many years, and recently days of this, add in the 500 songwriting groups many belong to anyway, "slack" and etc., I just wonder.

It looks like a circular handshake (firing squad? πŸ˜€ ) lets go with handshake πŸ˜‰ ... and it's just interesting to observe.

In time, the same "things" wind up occuring..., like a pre-typed script.

So, anyway, in "this" too, again, I just wonder, 64 Flavors is just not enough:
    https://www.theinsidescoopri.com/menu/

It's like, the paradigm, I don't want feedback by the unqualified, - ok, how'd you know if need it? πŸ˜€ And, *craving feedback, want to be able to pick specifically from whom you receive it. How's that list going?

If you fall overboard and a wo/man you don't *like see's only the Deck's garbage bag, full of motion sickness vomit no less, and throws it πŸ˜€ - you're not gonna grab it? Life's funny that way, - it forces extreme points on ya until you get it.

Don't want to "communicate", bidirectionally, longitudinally? πŸ˜€ And the "Universe" presents a way, - pandemically speaking.

I kept thinking I needed a better guitar πŸ˜€, now I have a room I can't walk into, nor remember what's in it, - guilty! Indeed πŸ˜€ Hahhh.

So, back to "elliotts" page example, -- it's so full and overrun there, a 3000 sq ft extension needs to be added on this Internet House here? πŸ˜€

- Again, it's just an observational curiousltiy and figured - I'd ask what I am missing? Never clamed to be the brightest bulb in da pack!

• @vomvorton  Mar 30

@andygetch Chris is @rollasoc, if that helps with anything!

• @andygetch  Mar 30

@vomvorton thanks

• @chipwithrow  Mar 30

I keep reading this thread, and I keep thinking, "Yep, I'm in." Here's why I like it:
    First, it would flow seamlessly into the actual 50/90 challenge. Second, I could still participate in the skirmish Facebook group which I've just gotten back into. Third, it would be a push to get me to practice banjo again, because I don't practice much unless I have a reason.
    As for where I'd store my songs - probably on SoundCloud, maybe on Bandcamp. And I might not share every song I wrote on whatever common forum (Facebook?) we use - maybe every fifth one or so.
    Thanks to all of you who are getting this ball rolling!

• @roddy  Mar 30

This is a great idea. I'll take part for sure. Thanks for suggesting/organising this.

• @robynmackenzie  Mar 30

@andygetch Yeah, that's my impression of that group too. I think a fb page is the way to go here. That way people can post as many songs as they want without flooding the main FAWM group or the one for posting recorded music. I'll get that set up. 😁

• @andygetch  Mar 31

thanks @robynmackenzie I'll see you over there!

• @andygetch  Mar 31

@ustaknow as I understand the question is 'What exists/will exist in 100in180 that does not in other groups?' I can only answer for me. I am guilty of belonging to multiple prompt based/song-a-week groups over the last 10 years (Acoustic Guitar Magazine Songwriting forum, Sunday Songwriting Group, 5in5, Fearless Songwriter, Almost Daily Prompt, Song Write Inn, Song Skirmish) along with FAWM and other more free form calendar or writing challenges where I chose to write songs (RPM, National Poetry Writing Month, National Novel Writing Month, Camp NaNoWriMo, National Solo Album Month). I see several differences which to me translates to a uniqueness with the 100in180 idea. The first, as @chipwithrow mentioned, and with the same ending date, is the connection to 50/90. The second is a numerical goal (number of songs) that I have achieved maybe twice, for me, translates to a pace to maintain and a longer endurance race, if you will. The third and most important, is this gives me a

• @andygetch  Mar 31

(EDIT cut off at 1000 characters) framework to process whatever life throws at me over the next six months or longer. Who knows, I may end up with 365in365 (if someone wants to start that group) LOL.

• @krayzie003 Mar 31

I like this idea. Not sure I could keep up as I've never actually completed 50/90 but I may give it a try. Don't think SoundCloud could support all the songs but could maybe use multiple file sharing sites. What is the Facebook page for this?

• @atitlan  Mar 31

Another thing to consider ... by the time the normal dates for 50/90 roll around everyone is likely to be coming out the coronavirus restrictions (especially in Europe) and wanting to be out and about.

• @ustaknow Mar 31

Hey @andygetch I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

• @ustaknow Mar 31

Don't want to fill your SB Andy, so cut/pasted it here...:

I want to emphasize that, I am all for "it" & this question in my mind is not "negative" so to speak or anti-anything whatsoever πŸ˜€ I know I have to say that even though may not even be a thought with you, - plenty here, "hear" everything as neg first; and so that goes (OLAM's I call them, online land mines πŸ˜‰ hahh! New Inet-term). So, that's framed - again πŸ˜€
    - Moreover, I know that when folks "like you" respond, I am understood as intended πŸ˜‰ Again, so. - thanks.

- It's just that, well, then nothing happens πŸ˜€ And why I list, to infer -that above as you did understand correctly, - why not? πŸ˜€

For me, I'm actually burned out on, "HEY!, lets..." and then? Nothing. Hahhh! πŸ˜€

There were many good ideas more than a month ago, & only spawned more, "hey lets...", then went to look, - nothing.
    - There's two Zongs over at 5090 Roctober - an initial good idea to "keep it going" if even FAWM itself was not left Unlocked to upload. And, there was plenty of "instruction" URL's to get there, - *I put them up πŸ˜€ (now removed/cleaned up so as not to *confuse).

There were many identicle, "lets do..." by 4-5 different folks, but the same "cluster" of folks, huh!? πŸ˜€ Hence the "motion sickness" life preserver comment. πŸ˜€ And then, - well, nothing, not really. If all had just done it, well, whatever thread, or FB group there was, or Vocktober πŸ˜€ morfization occurred, there'd like be standing room only. I saw plenty of "can't -i'll be busy with..." from the same folks who then said, "oh ya... " to multiple other.

- So, I asked, - the above.

Otherwise? O M G - folks just want to hang with the same they've hung with for 10+years (so to speak +-) and only whom they "like", none new, esp if a little bit "difrent" to'em?
    - That could not be it.

And now I do see, -ahhh, it's just a way to get organize and kept on track.

So, thank you! again!

So, for all the authentically *depressed folks, it's not U πŸ˜‰

• @ustaknow Mar 31

I hope to see 1000 songs, aggregate by 5090! Go4it! πŸ˜€

• @gubna Apr 1

Is there an FB page for 100 in 180, or are we just wingin it? Start tomorrow or April 4th?

• @andygetch  Apr 1

The Facebook group is live (and very much a work in progress). Link here https://www.facebook.com/groups/13384...

• @tcelliott  Apr 2

@gubna The fourth. And see above.

• @zecoop  Apr 2

No. LOL
    But have fun peeps!! πŸ˜‰

That said, I have written seven songs while in isolation. πŸ˜€

• @dzd  8 weeks

anti FB here so count me out of anything there......be nice if this site opened up again heh.
    and apparently my laptop succumbed to the sickness hahaha
    just got a new one up and going
    as I'm sure I'm not the only one to join the recently unemployed I'll have plenty of writing time πŸ˜€

• @atitlan  8 weeks

@dzd Yeah, same here - won't go anywhere near Facebook.

• @vomvorton  8 weeks

@dzd @atitlan good on you both for practicing Social Network Distancing.

πŸ˜‰

• @sbs2018 8 weeks

Still not sure where the posting will be. Don’t do Facebook either, @atitlan and @dzd.

• @metalfoot  8 weeks

The posting will be largely inside FB, I think, as I read how it's been set up. *shrug* It's not ideal but when 50/90 opens all posting should transition over there.

• @iveg 7 weeks

Wrote 3, but don't know when/ where I'll post.

• @tcelliott  7 weeks

@dzd @iveg @everyoneelse

FB groups aren't ideal, but... if you use other social media just tag it #100in180
    If you have a website or blog you can post there and tag it and link it here if you want.
    If anyone uses one of those suggestions or other suggestions I'm more than happy to create a post on FB to link your stuff. Obviously it's not ideal. Obviously. But there are other options. A self challenge etc.,

If it doesn't work for you then that's cool, too. Optional challenge and all.

• @sueawesome 7 weeks

@tcelliott @andygetch

have the settings for the Facebook group been set to allow for a Facebook page to join the group (I want to go through my art page instead of personal account)

if it’s not set up that way and the admin is ok with it.. I think these are the instructions (not sure how old they are):

1. Click the button… Others.
    2. Select Edit Group Settings.
    3. At the bottom of the settings you will find Site Membership Requests and you can decide if you will permit Facebook pages to join your group or if you won’t allow pages to request group membership. Existing pages in the group will remain, but can be deleted manually if needed; they will just no longer be able to be added.

• @andygetch  7 weeks

hi @sueawesome looks like it is already set up that way. There is one question to answer about songwriting mainly to deter spammers and bots. LMK if you have have problems getting access and I hope to see you there.

• @andygetch  7 weeks

@atitlan and @sbs2018 I get the FB concerns. I limit how much personal information I put on there, who I accept as 'friends', who/what I follow, and I'm not crazy about the ads and data collection either. Also wanted you to see the @tcelliott reply above.

Eight days in we do have a healthy group membership and the rate of song posts and comments is active enough to give me a variety of music to listen/comment but still manageable considering how FB puts the latest post/comment at the top.

For anyone still wandering through this forum thread that may be interested there is still plenty of time (173 days till Oct 1) to jump in.

• @sueawesome 7 weeks

it’s not working 😭 @andygetch

• @sueawesome 7 weeks

(as in - I tried to have it join as my page but it did it as my personal account)

• @andygetch  7 weeks

@sueawesome I sent you an email.

• @chipwithrow  6 weeks

Over on the 100/180 Facebook page, I just started a thread for folks to share how their 100/180 is going. I thought I'd also start a similar thread on the 50/90 page - and not just for 100/180, but for any stay-at-home-songwriting endeavors.
    I know the 50/90 site gets wiped clean around the first of July, but I find following a thread there easier than following a Facebook chain. (Even though I love the interaction of our 100/180 page, and I am super thankful to those who are the admins.)
    And maybe my 5090 thread will encourage some folks who are not already 5090ers to sign up! (Profiles don't go away when the site reboots.)
    I'll still be poking around the FAWM forums - the tab is always open on my computer!

• @rollasoc  6 weeks

@andygetch I am indeed the admin for the FAWM song writers that want to post their recorded music. I inhertied it, when the previous admin choose to stop doing it and no one else offered.

A gentle reminder, to those wanting to join. If you don't answer the three easy questions (Fawm name, Fawm url and favourite dinosaur), I will refuse you, since a) I can't verify you are a FAWM user and b) if someone can't be arsed to answer the questions and make my life easy, I can't be arsed to accept.

I do get quite a few people asking to join, who don't answer the questions, share no common pages with me, (like the Fawm facebook page) and seem to be in a lot of buy sell facebook pages.... and when I look at their profile, they have joined in the last week, have no friends and don't appear to be musical.....

• @ustaknow 6 weeks

@rollasoc
    - bravo!... applause!...

Yes, I love seeing folks with 1000 groups joined listed, and 5000 friends showing (yes, I am exaggerating, but not by much for some, even "FAWMers"?!).

I don't mind being asked, or "arsed" ? - don't you love the so helpful *auto-correct here, there, everywhere 2day! πŸ˜€

Anyway, - love the job you've been doing. It is, what it is and love it that way, - thankyou!

Actually my Profile, which is as old as FB itself, gets me ignored, since, -- you can't friend me, don't sell anything, don't like anything, can't be liked, don't have friends, show nothing effectively.

I think I get "allowed" into the very few groups I might join, if even for a short while, then leave - because of the music associations some may see. But the FB Questions are a help, - sometimes.

There was a songwriting group I checked out by ref from a FAWMer recently, and the Questions hammered, not "spamming", not "selling" and etc, no "follow chains/trains" ? (new term to me I had to look up)... yet, was the biggest "Gorilla Marketing" scam I've seen in a long, long while. Hey, live and let live... no rules, as I say in how I mean it. In my responses I clearly said, I hate spam and etc. and later said, "I should have commented Gorilla Marketing to the many naive music folks out there too!"

The/my favorite resposne to the very little interaction I had there b4 dropping it, - "I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...", but would articulate a well crafter objection, - nonetheless πŸ˜€ πŸ˜‰ Ah, good times, good times... I love the Internet!

If you want really unqualified feedback-response and *pay for it, - that'd be the best place to go and "FAWMer" recommended! πŸ˜‰ no less.

Yes, the potential "Free" you could get at your inherited group is, well, free... and so that paradigm goes, "qualified" to comment, comment. And, so we now have even MORE groups to join and not engage πŸ˜‰

• @andygetch  6 weeks

@rollasoc thanks for sharing the experience and the FAWM'ers recorded music group update.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...