Turn off the phone, turn on the music…

Skip to the bottom

• @candle  Mar 27

A great article for a somewhat lost passtime. Something I should do more of…

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment...

See You In The Shadows…

• @atitlan  Mar 27

This ties back to the 'do you still listen to albums' thread that we had back at the start (or maybe even before) of FAWM. I do still listen to full albums and give them full attention when I do, but nowhere near as often as I used to.

This article is a timely reminder.

• @chipwithrow  Mar 27

A friend shared this article on Facebook - I didn't realize til now that's Clint Eastwood in the photo.
    Recently I listened to Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris all the way through, but I was in the car so it took like four trips. Doesn't count as attentive listening, though. Did the same with Sgt Pepper a few weeks ago. At home the other day I listened to Terrapin Station by Grateful Dead all the way through as I worked in the kitchen.
    But to just sit and listen? Maybe the last time I truly did that was in college, when you could go to the library, select an album and just sit and listen in a comfy chair with headphones on. And that was 35 years ago.

• @ustaknow Mar 27

It's like, -- "eat right, get more sleep, and exercise daily". However...,?

Sadly, it's not the listening part, but the who they follow, then do.

So, since it's a trip down memory lane, (still present tense for me/paradigm), when I listened to the first, original Pink Floyd album (here in the US), Grand Funk, et alia., you can be certain it was not because anyone told me to, or that I saw the "cool kids", "doing it" and then followed. No one was listening to that, that I was aware of. (I've never been a "fan" of the Beatles and like what most don't listen to.) So, back to today, and though worked in the industry briefly, - I could not stand the radio, hahhh! 😀 ; and, had no money for a "collection" of my own. (I tip my hat with gusto to any pirate radio, or independent of some under populated region of "radio days".)

It's not that folks are on the phone to much or have different habbits, the human flaw of, -- "what's everyone else doing" has as easy access as ever to "us".

I watch it here on FAWM/5090, and through all the life channels I have, - occupational habbit.

However, with that said, - one of the gratest sanctuaries can be a FAWM5090 if one guards against the "worldly krappe" that infects anything, - the human condition, and just engages all, about the music and it's people.

Everyone wants to be, - heard.

Everyone wants to be, - their self.

Everyone listens after being, - heard.

Allow it.

So, for as "why" FAWM5090 works, 1) it renews easch project and makes the "bosses" pull the past forward into their future each time (lots o work, but they do it), and 2) folks get a chance to do those four things. But like a blind date, - no one can keep it up for more than a month anyway.

- Oh well! 😉 tso, derUgo! 😀

• @fuzzy  Mar 27

Great article, but he lost me when he started recommending specific albums.

• @candle  Mar 27

@chipwithrow: like you it was back in University that I truly sat down to listen to an album. That was 20 years ago. It's funny how life changes you…

@ustaknow: You're right, we all want to be heard & to be ourselves. But we often put on masks, play roles because we try to protect ourselves. It's a side-effect of being a social creature. The ultimate end of your "everyone wants…" list is acceptance. We all want to be accepted & sometimes we will do anything for that accpetence - even if that means we create an alter-ego.

@fuzzy: Yeah, I sort of wandered at that point in the article as well. I mean, everyone is going to have their own list of albums. My friends & I used to play a game of "If you were stuck on a desert island & all you had was a walk-man & a 90 minute mix tape, what songs would be on that tape?" You could play a variation & ask: "What ten albums would you want to have?" Everyone would have a very different list.

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  Mar 27

@atitlan: Yes, this is a good time to get re-acquainted with some old friends (albums) & maybe to discover some new ones. I think I might dust off my vinyl copy of In The Court Of The Crimson King & take some time to truly enjoy it. That's a start…

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  Mar 27

Co-incidentally, my answers to the 90 min mix tape question always contained only a few songs since I usually would fill them up with Prog Rock epics LOL. I mean, once you get Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick on a 90 min tape, you don't have much room for many other songs, right?

Tull's Thick As A Brick & Floyd's Echoes - that's a 90 minute tape right there 😉

See You In The Shadows…

• @fuzzy  Mar 27

Ok, I just laid down with my three albums, the headphones, and eyes closed.

"White Light/White Heat" by The Velvet Underground
    "Entertainment!" by Gang of Four
    "Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)" by Brian Eno

An excellent way to spend a couple of hours!

• @ustaknow Mar 28

@candle those are great comments on what, I guess we can say, "onine-music" - access is, presently. The discussion could morph over into/from, not just turn off the phone and turn on the music, but/and, even forget what I said, - look at what "music" has become, - music.

Here in this "context", here, - many can say why they do this and they have, - "I can't not do it, it's a hobby", and et alia. However, possilby it folds into your good comments. When one writes a lyric, if even to only be read allowed accapella as it is, and that as "song", - it can say more than any conversation, book, "poem", short story/narrative in a way that nothing else may.

I've always said, not here, but elsewhere, - focus on the mind-picture that may be formed in the listener and consider then, the potential "communications".

Some who know me, know, from explanations long ago that, while many say, "oh no one reads the lyrics" ? - they do. I remember not reading, long ago since were mostly rediculous with many "oooohhhs and ahhhssss, baby, baby..." and focused on the music and words as Notes - as I do now, I'd guess. Anyway, "reading the lyrics" find it interestng to then tear/tare things up for that happy surprise to wreck, modify, enhance their mind pic. Uno! 😀

There's actually a longer story to that, but will spare you 😀 - not very insteresting to most.

• @fuzzy  Mar 28

Oh yeah, lyrics are very important.
    I pay attention to them all the time.
    That's (one of many) reasons why I'm not a fan of modern popular music; it all seems to be unimaginative and repetitive lyrics about having sex.

• @candle  Mar 28

+1 to that @fuzzy. Songs with substance. That's what I love. Songs that speak to me. Songs with true emotion. Like Man Of Golden Words by Mother Love Bone. One of my all-time favourites. Or (for an example from FAWM) @captainvulpine's Dirge For A Mutinous Philosopher from a few years ago (https://captainvulpine.bandcamp.com/t...). Or in my case, an instrumental that creates a reaction in the listener. If they close their eyes, the music creates images for them.

Music should be an experience. Something that forces the listener to react on a deeper level. The words should make them think & the tones should make them dream. At least, that's my goal when I record my "moments captured in time".

See You In The Shadows…

• @chipwithrow  Mar 28

@candle and @fuzzy regarding songs with true emotion - I listened to the first 6 songs of Johnny Cash's Unchained album today in the car. That's how long it took me to drive to work and back. He did three (I think) albums produced by Rick Rubin toward the end of his life (Cash's, not Rubin's), and each one was a statement album. It will probably take me tomorrow's back-and-forth to work (our closed-down yoga studio) to complete the album. Not attentive listening, but a great album all the way through.
    And @fuzzy - I listened to a little of that Gang of Four record you mentioned yesterday. That album came out right around the time I started listening to punk/ska/"New Wave," but for some reason I missed that one. I liked what I heard!

• @fuzzy  Mar 28

Hey @candle, here's a lyrics-heavy prog epic for you.
    Not sure if you are a Van Der Graaf Generator fan, but you will be after this....
    https://youtu.be/x16-qZJmpKA

• @fuzzy  Mar 28

Yeah, @chipwithrow, "Entertainment!" Is a great album. Angular Marxist dance music. And there's even Melodicas if you listen closely!
    Those Johnny Cash albums are absolute classics for sure.

• @candle  Mar 28

@fuzzy those B-3s are glorious. I love all the wind instruments. I'm not sure how I missed Van Der Graaf Generator for all these years, but I think you've made me a fan 😀

See You In The Shadows…

• @sbs2018 Mar 28

Guess I’m old school. Still listen to albums - even on streaming.

• @candle  Mar 30

I think we all are in some way, @sbs2018. As much as iTunes & other online music platforms have brought the Single back to the fore of music consumption practices (though, they've completely missed the best part of the Single: the B-Sides!); I still think an Artist should be judged on their albums, not their singles.

See You In The Shadows…

• @chipwithrow  Mar 30

@sbs2018 - the albums I stream are often favorites I had on vinyl. Some go-tos for me: Damn the Torpedoes by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The River by Bruce Springsteen, London Calling by The Clash.
    @candle - speaking of B sides, Bruce Springsteen always had good ones in the '80s, that weren't on the albums. "Pink Cadillac." for example, which became a concert favorite.
    Listened to Bob Marley's Kaya all the way through yesterday. But I was working out - not attentive listening. I did sit and listen to the last song, which I believe is called "Jamaica Smile," because it was so nice and because I was unfamiliar with it.
    Marley's Exodus and Rastaman Vibration were whole-album listens when I was in my 20s - 30(!) years ago.

• @candle  Mar 31

@chipwithrow : I was always partial to Radiohead & Pearl Jam's B-Sides. Yellow Ledbetter, the B-Side to Pearl Jam's Jeremy has become a fan favourite. Pearl Jam has a tendancy of playing a lot of their B-Sides live. Both bands have also released B-Side compilations (Radiohead did a bunch of EPs & Pearl Jam had their Lost Dogs compilation).

I'll have to check out some of those Bruce Springsteen B-Sides.

See You In The Shadows…

• @dzd  Apr 13

@candle I think a full album is only way I've ever "listened" to Radiohead other than that one song that was on the radio all the time in the 90s...but somewhat forced listening I don't count haha.

Was trying to get some stuff done outside yesterday before we catch some snow here today put on "clouds taste metallic" one of my oldish favorites(think it's 95ish and ended up just having a seat and a good listen to for the first time In a long time.

@chipwithrow Marley has always been one I don't think was ever intended to just hear select parts of and he didn't have to say this is a "concept" album

• @ustaknow Apr 13

@dzd hahhh, Bob Marley, - as kid from the "city", I thought Bob was from Brooklyn or Queens (Jamaica 😉 , avenue, et al.), and wondered why I didn't hear more of his music played around town 😀 I never met a Rastafarian I didn't get along with. And, makes me think now, and don't really know why (rude to ask), - didn't give me a "gift". (Always, anyone else?) The last one I met, at his shop, had some amazing Art for sale.

Gave me, "gift" an amazing, "Orthodox" Christian, -- hard to explain it... it was sort of like a 12 inch key shape-ish, or Orthodox Cross, all hand painted and where the "key" part would be was a swinging panel that revealed some "Saint", - not sure of.

And, the most interesting thing? Was made from the "Once Fire" only Steel Ammunition Casings that were like Gravel on the Street from some country, he mentioned. There was so much of it everywhere, started to just use it.

I thought it was interesting to "recycle" empty .mil shells into a Spiritual Image like that. Amazing hand painting.

Anyway, - "Bob" puts me in a mellow mood, mahn... - no smoke, just good audio has that effect 😀 hahhh!

- I got time on my hands today, kan u tell?

• @dzd  Apr 13

@ustaknow hahaha me too 😀 waiting on snow, ya know that whole climate change myth thing...freezing weather last few days snow middle of april, happened around here last few years now, right in the middle of the strongest deniers

any good reggae has the same effect on me, even if the smoke isn't doing it few bars of some of that sound always does the trick....I just broke out Babylon by Bus

😀 opposite happened to me first time I heard someone say they were from Jamaica, weird lookin little white guy with a strange accent, boy was I confused. Guy I met in Boston few months back busked with for awhile gave me a necklace of a budda he got from a chinese guy and painted up hahah

• @candle  Apr 14

@dzd, I agree: Radiohead is another of those bands that you really should listen to full albums & not just the singles.

See You In The Shadows…

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...