Virtual Open mic on Zoom Friday 3/20 8-10pm EST

Skip to the bottom

• @siebass  Mar 19

I moved my monthly open mic to the cloud, thought some fawmers might be interested as well, potentially. Details below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/85131...

Gonna try moving it virtual. Music still this Friday, 8-10 pm.

Starting with 2 songs each; if we fill the 12 slots I've got now, we can go down to one song each to accommodate up to 24 folks, if needed.

Signup on slotted here: https://slotted.co/ek16oq8q
    Virtual Open Mic for Friday here: https://zoom.us/j/499488212

I'd recommend trying to get setup early on Friday b/c tech ALWAYS causes some hiccups.

We'll see how it goes.

- Josh

• @ustaknow Mar 19

A+ πŸ˜€

• @jonmeta  Mar 19

I’d like to see more things like this happening, and would enjoy participating. Unfortunately, that’s 4 AM for me! We need a European version while we’re all locked down anyway.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 19

Yeah - wee bit late for me too 😝

• @siebass  Mar 19

Lol, sorry y'all, doing the best I can. I'm trying out Zoom and Slotted to handle the video/audio and signups, respectively. I can let you know here how it all goes tomorrow. I'm sure there's another enterprising fawmer out there who can use zoom, or I can possibly let y'all borrow my account. I just signed up for the month for $15 bucks to see how well it works.

• @standup  Mar 19

I'm planning on it. I show up a few times a year for Siebass's live open mics, and I have a few new FAWM songs to do this week... So I'll be there.

• @ustaknow Mar 20

Yeehaw πŸ˜€

• @sph  Mar 20

Very cool idea. A bit late for me as well. But I'll definitely check my stuff

• @jonmeta  Mar 20

One way to do this in future would be to receive videos ahead of time, and broadcast them via Share in Zoom. That would eliminate the time zone restrictions and would probably result in better quality. The viewers will see the music video on screen, with a small video box with the host in the corner.
    With the free version we can share files from Google Drive, Dropbox, and several other cloud storage places, plus any active screen including YouTube, and from audio like Spotify (which will continue playing while we share a different screen). So far we've been too cheap to spend the €14 a month, so you might have even more options with the paid subscription.

• @siebass  Mar 20

@ustaknow That is the idea; Zoom is a video/audio conferencing solution, so I should be able to select people based on the signup list for them to stream their video and audio during their turn. I can also push from Zoom to facebook live stream, which I tested last night, so it will show up both places, granted with a 20-second delay on fb live. This run is going to be a proof-of-concept somewhat to see if there is enough interest to support an online open mic, and if the tech is good enough to make it worthwhile. Definitely the wrong time to sell zoom stock, ha ha.

• @siebass  Mar 20

@jonmeta as for pre-recorded roll; that would be more like a concert or sampling; I know the audio and video quality would be better, but it might be less "live", you know, which is one of the qualities that I like the most about an open mic. It's real/raw/warts-and-all. I know I'd be tempted to put up the "best" take rather than just letting rip; I don't know about others.

That said, from the point of view of remote participation and desire to play from unfavorable timezones to me, I'd be happy to accept submissions in that way to make it work, assuming the tech can support, or host one at a more favorable time for y'all, maybe on a weekend?

• @ustaknow Mar 20

Interesting πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 20

Great stuff πŸ˜€

• @jonmeta  Mar 20

Every Zoom user has a personal ID and can use that with all the "meetings" instead of setting a one-time meeting ID. Whatever ID you use, it gets shared via an email invitation the first time. It's then stored in all the logged-in users' lists of meetings after the first one. They can go back to it from a drop-down menu the next time. If the host uses a personal ID, it will always be the same ID number every week or whatever.

• @siebass  Mar 20

Only I have to pay, as the meeting host. The free meetings last up to 40 minutes, and have fewer controls, so I figured I could splurge for the $15 bucks to test to see if zoom was a viable platform for this sort of thing. It may still be crickets, but at least I should be able to hear @standup's new songs, and possibly @metalfoot, and feel just a bit more connected, during this time. That's worth it to me.

@ustaknow don't need to pay-to-play, the cost is by the meeting host, so I've already rented our virtual conference room, in that sense. Free to use the app to join and perform.

• @ustaknow Mar 20

@siebass OK, good to know.

It's asks for a meeting ID.

• @siebass  Mar 20

It should be this, but the meeting won't be running until I set things up this evening:

• @ustaknow Mar 20

Alrighty then! πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 20

Goodtaknow where ur πŸ˜‰

• @metalfoot  Mar 21

Let's do this again!

• @siebass  Mar 21

Thanks for coming, guys, this was a lot of fun, and much needed social time in this difficult time, at least for me. I appreciated it very much. 3rd Friday of the month for the next one, April 17. Glad the footlings got a cameo too, hah

• @metalfoot  Mar 21

😁 @siebass @standup @nancyrost @nateger @ustaknow gives me a month to learn the song I bailed out on! LOL

• @ustaknow Mar 21

"metalfoot" I like how you handled that. That could be a thread, what to do.

Just go to the next. I'll remember that... e.g., "ah heck, - let's try this one instead"
    πŸ˜€ and just proceed.

All, - great live chops, much enjoyed.

For me that size group always works, - larger may work for others, but perfect like it was, could not have gone better, imo.

(ZOOM was impressive. I may have to buy them back πŸ˜€ hahhh! The balance sheet made me a tad nervous.)

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 21

How did it go?!

• @siebass  Mar 21

@stevenwesleyguiles Audio quality was mostly good, but a little up and down, probably due to some compression or limiting algorithm to emphasize voice on the Zoom platform. The connection from zoom to Facebook live died about 90 seconds in, but everything else worked as expected.

The company was great, as were the songs. I agree with @ustaknow it was perfect for a nice night "out" with music, I don't think it could have gone better. Just really nice. I am biased towards live music, but I did think it went great.

• @metalfoot  Mar 21

@stevenwesleyguiles Everyone else was awesome!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...