Corona, FAWM and Rocktober

Skip to the bottom

• @atitlan  Mar 13

Rocktober still allows uploads of songs. Due to restrictions around coronavirus many of us will find ourselves at home much more than normal over the next few months and will no doubt be making music to keep ourselves occupied (unless we've actually contracted the virus).

Anyone else think we should keep something going via the Rocktober site for the duration - possibly all the way to 50/90?

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

If there is interest then you should probably ask @ericdistad about the possibility of uploading options. I would imagine it would take a little work to get the site to do a one-off side challenge that isn't already set up.

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

Also, I'm not against the idea, but I keep busy with Songfight.org and either GYAWS or Songskirmish on FB. All intended for original songs to prompts. Covers tend to get sidestepped in favor for originals.

• @ustaknow Mar 13

😀

• @ustaknow Mar 13

😀

• @guatecoop  Mar 13

My brother @zecoop and I are going to work on an EP over the next 3 weeks just because of this. It kind of is another music challenge for us. We might as well since we have more time, as we’ve been told to work from home over the next 3 weeks. Besides, we’ve caught up on sleep from FAWM!

• @ustaknow Mar 13

😀

• @guatecoop  Mar 13

@tcelliott we can still put links to songs in a forum thread, so maybe we could make that work.....and the timing would be until the state of emergency is lifted. I guess that would make it intriguing to not know what the end date would be! We’ve committed ourselves to 5 songs. Oh, the commenting would be tricky, but we could do that by naming the fawmer(s) that we are commenting to so it would show up on their page.

• @chipwithrow  Mar 13

I was wondering/hoping if someone would start a thread like this! My wife and I closed our business (yoga studio) for at least the next 5 days. We're working from home and creating online content. I half-wrote a song a couple days ago and found myself wishing for a March MAWM since I'll be at home and near a computer for a while.
    And I'm also hoping that one good thing that comes out of all this social distancing is our FAWM community keeps listening and commenting on the February songs!

• @ustaknow Mar 14

😀

• @dzd  Mar 14

I'm in 😀 on a bus now, but will probably stay put for a little while at least

Actually is a few covers I've always meant to actually learn gonna have time apparantly......wasnt even gonna attempt a flight

• @eargoggle  Mar 14

I mean shit, what else do I have to do right now? Except take care of my kids all day and wash my hands again.

• @timfatchen  Mar 14

I all for something...having blown FAWM up through the almost finished renovations, I'm getting desperate but now CAN'T Go HOME!!! Mt Barker has become Coronavirus Central with Flight Centre staff infected in the main shopping centre (Mt Barker Central) which is now likely blowing everyone up and is 50 yards away from house. So we will briefly call in while heading for the hills (bushfires now stopped) and loading instruments, computer etc while keeping other residents at bay with the hedge-trimmer.

The one good thing coming out of this is that people won 't look sideways at us because of our chaotic life...they'll have their own chaos happening!

• @dzd  Mar 14

@timfatchen I'm sorry to laugh, I truly am
    But your haing a helluva a 2020 so far!
    I left my machete in new Hampshire dunno if that was a good or bad thing yet
    Might regret not having it or just be happy I didnt when I would of used it..
    Ahhhh the big apple lol

• @dzd  Mar 14

Just know my laughter at your misfortune is good hearted in nature as it can be to laugh at someone elses troubles hahahah

• @rainchaser  Mar 14

I'm also looking forward to another FAWM until 50/90 begins. If it's true that Trump is going to quarantine the US like he did with Europe, I'm going to be spending a lot of time at home!

• @atitlan  Mar 14

Glad to see others are interested. I'm likely to be working from home from Monday. Evening and weekend activities are going to be severely curtailed - especially compared to a normal Spring. I suspect over the next couple of months I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and a lot of music making,

I'm hoping we don't see full Italy-style lockdown here in the UK, but still expecting things to be pared down to essentials only, once they've got over the idea of treating us as a eugenics experiment.

• @timfatchen  Mar 14

If we're gonna be full lockdown then I'd prefer to be in the mountains rather than at home, hence the desire to load: Privia keyboard. Desktop and screen. Small mixer (one LED not working and only 2+2 but it does. mic & stand. music stand (small folding one) ?printer? MSpaper. Headphones. Squier amp. Pacifica. Fiddle.Tam. Sticks. Uke, I'll use my daughter's. Ditto acoustic guitar. Leads. Power board. Camera...

• @timfatchen  Mar 14

@dzd I just don't believe it either! And then I write twitchy letters to the national newspaper pointing out the stupidity of our leaders all flying to meet together and talk "and next day the guvmint suddenly switches to teleconferencing. Butterflies, storms, viruses, flats for rental, large hardware bills, sheesh.

• @timfatchen  Mar 14

"Welcome to coronavirus central!
    We've waited for you both to come home!
    To lay you low then kill you is essential
    You're getting far too old to just let roam.

In fact you're in the lethal age percentile
    You're good health? Hey! That's putting on an act!
    We're here to help you quickly through the turnstile
    You're too old, really, and you're more than cracked.

• @ustaknow Mar 14

😀

• @dzd  Mar 14

City that never sleeps got kinda sleepy last night Haha

There were a few of us lingering about(with nowhere else to go) but not much else happenin

Coronaquil......

• @dzd  Mar 14

Found a big golden toilet by central park though......trust me i wasnt the first

Was kinda smelly in that direction hah

• @ustaknow Mar 14

😀

• @sbs2018 Mar 14

I’m finding the best thing to do right now is to create music. Still not sure I understand the plan to fill in between now and 50/90. Is there a new site? Thank you.

• @atitlan  Mar 14

@sbs2018 If you go to the 50/90 site http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/ and look at the menu on the left of the screen you'll see entries for 'Add Rocktober Songs' and 'Rocktober Songs' - these are normally used in October for cover versions that people record as a bit of fun after 50/90 is over. I seem to remember you taking part.

However it never closes, so new uploads are still working. That's what we're taking about using if/when social distancing or lockdown is in place in our respective countries and we're effectively confined to home.

• @robynmackenzie  Mar 14

This is an excellent idea, thank you. I'll definitely take part.

• @guatecoop  Mar 14

We’ve (@zecoop and I) already begun writing and recording, so get on it people!! This is really an unexpected Surprise to have this time! Where are we going to post? I guess that we should start a new thread so others know what’s happening and the details.

• @wylddandelyon Mar 14

I'd love it if FAWM set up a satellite page for sharing and commentary during this crisis.

• @sbs2018 Mar 15

Thank you @atitlan - didn’t realize Rocktober was always open. Cool!

• @mikeskliar  Mar 17

just wrote and recorded a song about the whole corona thing, made a video (which I usually don't do) and posted on youtube (link i think is in another thread but here it is again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1quO... ) and yeah, if there was a place for 'another album' i might want to take part... good ideas!

• @ustaknow Mar 18

😉

• @candle  Mar 22

For all these years, I've never done 50/90 (I've been FAWMing for 10 years now). Just signed up on the 50/90 site & will be posting songs in the Rocktober portion as I finish them. They will still be mostly FAWM-like experiments, but who knows? Maybe I'll do something more interesting…

This is a great suggestion @atitlan !

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  Mar 23

OK, I took your advice @atitlan & just posted my first Post-FAWM Corona-Self-Isolation Track on 50/90/Roctober. Check it out:

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/conten...

See You In The Shadows…

• @chipwithrow  Mar 25

@candle - interesting and lovely sounds as usual from you. A cool combo of space/nature/techno!
    @mikeskliar - great to see you as well as hear you. I feel like I'm right there in the room with you. (And what a collection of media behind you!) I dig that chord progression a lot.
    I didn't link to the Rocktober site, but I did add three Grateful Dead ukulele covers to my SoundCloud page. And I'm doing one or two more today. The originals I've written since FAWM are also uke songs, so maybe I'll do those do. But I'm finding great comfort in playing my favorite Grateful Dead songs.
    https://soundcloud.com/chip-withrow

• @standup  Mar 26

New one in the Rocktober area: http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/conten...

• @chipwithrow  Mar 26

Good one, @standup! Listening as I write this. Wild guitar sounds, and sweet electric piano!
    I was inspired today to write a song because our county manager provided me with a title: "Stay the Hell Home!"

• @ustaknow Mar 26

@chipwithrow - wow, that is inspiring! 😀

Around these parts, liquor and weed stores are essential businesses, they are releasing folks from prison, - and closed the all guns and ammo stores as non-essential Second Amendment Businesses 😀

One fellow commented that, - THC is a broncial dialator which could leave one volnerable to any infection already in the respiratory system to move to the lower track - citing the US regional areas hit the hardest collate to that legalised use. Purely annecdotal of course.

I offered to make edibles (Iron chef that I am), for any friend who'd stop smoking 😀 at least for now. Apparenlty I'm pretty good at it. Must have been old career effect 😀

Lots to write about!!

• @atitlan  Mar 27

So I decided to make my first contribution a cover version.

"Isolation" by John Lennon - http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/conten...

• @chipwithrow  Mar 27

@atitlan - I didn't know that one, so I listened to yours first and then the original. I like how I feel like I'm in the room listening to yours. And it's a wonderful song.

I also put this one of mine on the Facebook skirmish page run by @andygetch and @metalfoot:

https://soundcloud.com/chip-withrow/s...

And my growing collection of Grateful Dead uke covers is there, too.

• @atitlan  Mar 27

@chipwithrow It's one of a number of great songs on the 'Plastic Ono Band' album - probably my favourite John Lennon album.

• @johnstaples  Mar 27

Nicely done @atitlan !

I I I
    I I I
    So
    Lay ay ay ay
    Tion

Such a great song and album!

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 29

i kind of want to use "rocktober in april" to put up some older songs that i never really recorded well that i am getting decent recordings of during the quarantine/ while they won't let me go back to work with a sinus infection because there's not enough tests.it doesn't seem like it has really been adopted much at all, though, and mostly for covers. i'll build up a backlog of some. i guess i'm still in FAWM mode, because i can't go more than a couple of days before i need to go on to something else, and come back to some later.
    just wondered what people thought of putting up updated recordings of work from 20+ years ago, etc, for this "rocktober in april/may" surprise. i'm going to do it either way. i might even record a real honest cover.

• @candle  Mar 30

I like the idea of re-recording or re-working old songs for Rockapril or Rockmay (sorry, just made those up). I might just do that as well, @tsunamidaily. Great idea!

See You In The Shadows…

• @ustaknow Mar 31

@tsunamidaily - if you let me, others?, - know directly, I would assume if they see that notice (~"put stuff there, have a look"~), - they'll go check it out and leave comment on your SoundBoard.
    - You may want to say where you'll look for "that" feedback-comment. It would suck to get feedback, but not see it since looking "here" in this thread for it?

With me, I may not see it, fyi, - or way later, like re-Archive the project time 😀 The only thing I re-read is Comment-Feedback on Songs; otherwise, I rarely re-read any thread. (Unless quoted in, as that goes with most.)

After a certain point, after a project closes FAWM/5090, - me, I don't get back into a thread (or even the SoundBoard), unless I see a name that usually has something of interest to say, like you, candle (here now), others... 😀 etc. So, maybe keep that in mind. I know someone left a note on a FAWM SoundBoard 😀 that I did only get start of 5090. (Same with email links, so don't use'em here. Buried in "SPAM" due to the formatting, or as-was.)

As far as doing it, what you say you want to do, - why not!? 😀 Go for it!
    - Who'd care and raise a fuss to stop it; Wow, that would be a "post even nuclear thread" if that occurred, -- I'd guess (unless from Mr. B, et alia for good reason I am sure - otherwise. I'd pop popcorn and get a case a beer for that one 😉 so to speak.

Otherwise, - remember the FaceBook Group for FAWMers who want to put stuff online - NOT the FAWM group, - is a no-no, this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmr...

• @dzd  8 weeks

@tsunamidaily @candle that was basically my plan before I remembered fawm this year....why the hell not now I tell myself as I've shit else to do but watch the windmills 😀

@ustaknow just because 😉

• @candle  8 weeks

Rockapril is a go, then? I guess I should dig out some old songs & re-hash them 😁

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle  7 weeks

Not a Rockapril revisit, but a new song: Fluttering Shadows. Just posted it on the Rocktober portion of the 50/90 site.

Quick question, tho: does 50/90 not display url's featuring JPEGs like the FAWM site does? It doesn't seem to… too bad 😞

See You In The Shadows…

• @fuzzy  7 weeks

No, @candle, sadly it does not.

• @candle  7 weeks

That's too bad @fuzzy

See You In The Shadows…

• @ustaknow 6 weeks

Seems like the #01 Original, post FAWM, "what to do now" survives! Vocktober, (etymology: virus, rock, and to beer, rocktober; could also be V-oktober, or Vocktobeer, et alia, urban legend originated NJ, USA during CV-19 lock down board-um).

http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/rockto...

• @candle  6 weeks

My latest experiment - Granular Suspension:

I'm thinking of doing a re-work of an old Candle tune today, in the spirit of Rockapril. Stay tuned for that…

See You In The Shadows…

• @moonshadow 6 weeks

I got so bored in lockdown i had to do a cover

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

So, @dzd 4+ daze is long enough... like fish, it'll start to ripen to much if not wrapped up, aye! 😀

Vocktobeer LIVES! and with a Zong no less.

• @ustaknow 5 weeks

Hey @dzd, -- I like that last one you just put up. (Still leaving the other one alone, just to see... 😉 ) hahhh! (So, wet rubber finger pull on that one, end of track? - Didn't wear HP's... so, best guess.)

Long live, Vocktobeer! 😀 Yeehaw!...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...