Does your Logo ID effect anything?

Skip to the bottom

• @ustaknow Mar 7

Does your Logo ID effect anything?

This is a topic I've never seen discussed here (though it may have been, who knows).

I've observed it as a "big topic" in some places (again, not here that I've seen discussed), e.g., Real Life Pic, Logo, very specific regardless of "cultural" sensitivities, other.

And so? πŸ˜€

• @fuzzy  Mar 7

Not sure what you mean....

• @andygetch  Mar 7

nah

• @metalfoot  Mar 7

Not sure it's a factor at all in FAWM.

• @tcelliott  Mar 7

I haven't changed my "album art" (or profile pic) in years because I'm so identified with it by a certain number of Fawmers. Not that I dislike it, mind you.

• @jmadison  Mar 7

I've been sticking with this pic of my guitar for everything. I like it a lot (the guitar and the pic). Like @metalfoot said, on FAWM it doesn't matter much. But I do like the consistency.

• @ustaknow Mar 7

@fuzzy well, in some places, "real life" pics πŸ˜‰ selfies are debated as to effect.

So, for e.g., at one university, a really great prof. with a very youthful demeanor, and "written voice" put up a "at his desk" photo.

True story:
    πŸ˜€ so, he appeared quite old and folks "heard" his written voice differently pending their frame of reference on OWM πŸ˜‰

However, one fine day, - he went on vacation and didn't tell anyone. Apparently HR/Admin knew but, no one else, - slipped his mind (hahhh! re: the pic again).

What happened, the entire class thought, maybe he passed away and started to hunt down administration and etc. to go have a look.

So, mid-vacation he had to send a notice, he was fine.

So, one may not think it matters, and that may be true, or maybe it does.

One more true story:
    I used that "old TV test" card for years and still do use it since so neutral, well, -it is neutral.

Years ago, on a Lyric only Songwriting Group, online the folks there took a notion to address others more directly. And, πŸ˜€ I was addressed as a "foreign female", hahhh! I let it stand as-was. I even said, how did you know I was a short-tallish, fat-skinny-ish, dark-whiteish, male-female-ish, animal-person or not just the Ai that i am, -- really, I am an Ai. I'm here but not here it seems, or other-there somewhere? πŸ˜€

Personally, I've observed that "here", the non-commercial, "real" ish tend to do well. Get to funky, look like a .corp, or not PC in any way (no, I don't worry abut PC, -- but as a "normal", usual, Ai person, I do consider it πŸ˜€ like amerika used to so well at? πŸ˜€, maybe, maybe not).

So, you asked for an explanation, I hope that does it πŸ˜€ 327 "characters left" in this on-line form, if you need them. Hahhh! (Always joking, always.)

• @ustaknow Mar 7

Anyway, otherwise, I find the responses very interesting, - you?

I agree, like with @jmadison and @tcelliott - I know who you are. And, yes, without any value judgement of any kind, do that. It's why I asked, matters? πŸ˜€

- Branding, "it does a body good", "like a cigarette should", and "strong to the finish 'cause I eats me spinach" πŸ˜‰ Uno! LIke Oscar says, "then everyone would be in love with me", - hot dog!

• @fuzzy  Mar 7

Well then, @ustaknow, all I can say is that my profile picture is my favourite "real life" selfie. πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 7

Yes, such a kissable face, - don't ever mess with it! πŸ˜€ @fuzzy

• @pipewrench67  Mar 7

My original concept was to vary my logo slightly each but due to computer breakdowns, I lost the original image so mine has stayed constant after the second year, due to laziness probably as much as anything. I'm sure it now IDs me now, for better and worse. I do notice a trend in certain people always commenting on on a song or 2 of mine and certain people never commenting on anything I do.

• @emkaydeebee  Mar 7

My photo for the last two years was of just my little boy... this year I’ve changed it to feature me and my other child. I also updated my username. People have addressed me differently this year now it’s clearer I’m female (and someone who identifies as so too). I have had a better fawm this year in terms of much more engagement with others. There’s other factors as to why, but possibly my clearer information as to how I present has helped?...

• @zecoop  Mar 7

I used to change it to the year's album cover, but after hearing some arguments about continuity, changed it to the current one and kept it. It's pretty clear who I am... I am a spicy pepper. Obviously. I get treated as such. πŸ˜‰

• @judypie  Mar 7

Haha I’ve never realised how much work went into your awesome pic @zecoop ! But I have always loved its aesthetic! 😁

• @ustaknow Mar 8

"pipewrench67" - that's interesting. The later part of you comment is a great observation. Fooling folks can be fun too πŸ˜‰ They mistakenly like your stuff, -- ohNooo! πŸ˜€

Futher, and unrelated, so don't quote you into this long one πŸ˜€ mercy on you:
    Me, I tend to recognise folks by the ID_Pic, but only pay attention due to the 5 years of "don't comment on my stuff" or ,only certain ones may, and a certain way only; and that includes forum threads too, - I found out πŸ˜€ hahhh! Fun stuff aye. Belive me, I abide by their rules, - why not. It is the real world here? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€ says the ai.

I occassoinally mess up since I don't keep a "list" in RAM, - but I do my best to accomodate not commenting πŸ˜‰ hahhh. Funny to say, demos or threads.

What I do, since can be so confusing is, - do click on their social media and etc. (500+ group memebers?! really?). One can only be "brief" here, unless like me πŸ˜€ That social media page explains allot more and can better figure out how to engage, what to expect in response.

It's allot of WORK, but, I figure you all are worth it, pro or con, - does not matter to me.

Also, sometimes, folks just have a "bad year". For example, to not just say that, - one I know was having a REALLY challenging year, not here this year and off/on, and wondered if punched their own ticket. So, I did check and wow, (still here! πŸ˜€ Turfside) - some AMAZING music coming out of them and what I thought too. Nothing like the demo-tracks loaded, - stunning sonorus stuff. (I guess they really were almost famous πŸ˜‰ )

So, as adults we need to get out of our Computer Vitrual Living Rooms πŸ˜‰

But, yes, in short the ID_Pic and Bio and etc., does have effect as I've observed it. But, it's a good thing. (We won't talk about all the "helper" SockPuppets I see πŸ˜‰ - hey, float your boat how you like! No rules.)

• @musicsongwriter  Mar 8

My logo shows my favourite instrument: piano and a dolphin. I heard about dolphins saving people in difficulties in water so I believe the pic I have is about the connection between music and kindness, music therapy (dolphin in water, relaxing). It does have effect on what I create and on the other hand it is connected with what I create i.e. represent me. On other occasions I use piano with flowers: music can be as beautiful as flowers, well at least sometimes πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 14

"musicsongwriter"

- Yes, when I first saw your logo, and without listening, of course πŸ˜€ clicked it to then listen πŸ˜‰ - it looked calm, developed, authentic (I don't like the word "professional", so kind of an authentic sub for it)

And others, - to say that kind of personal branding does not matter?, well, OK if you say so πŸ˜€

- There's many I could comment on, but will spare you πŸ˜€ hahhh. Thank God, aye!

But, I do find it very interesting, cause, effect, unintended consequences (often all good!).

I know for sure, if even folks know you, that changing does effect interaction. For example, this last change with me to this one now, - had effect.

So, for me there are some I see, and, well, - they look very narrowly focused and probably not at what I'd listen to? so, yah... never do click it to check the work.
    - My opinion "here" is, on that, is that this may not be the place to deliberately limit your potential reviewing audience. It may be for some, however, that too reflects a thinking that may produce workproduct, probably not for me, - and that's just me I am sure. I am well aware that I see things from very different Ai sunglasses, so to speak πŸ˜€

One thing that can backfire, and some do, is to post an opposite type "Logo", ID, - confustion never seems to work if that's the strategy.

Anyway, interesting feedback comment on this.

• @timfatchen  Mar 15

I just happen to like this one. Besides, I no longer live in deserts at length and so the predecssors had to go anyway. Besides, I've got my Tyrolier on (genuine, altho' now a bit moth-eaten) rather than my Flying Tadpole II's schooner skipper hat, so a bit more presentable. Perhaps. Maybe.

• @chipwithrow  Mar 15

This is an interesting discussion - I skipped over it at first because I didn't understand the thread title.
    @musicsongwriter - I love the reasons you chose the dolphin! It's a creature I never tire of seeing, even though I've lived in Florida and near a beach for almost 16 years.
    My photo is from last summer, I think. It's me performing, obviously. I'm wearing my Yoga Man t-shirt, and I make my living as a yoga teacher/studio owner. But mainly I just like the photo.
    In the past I've used a cartoon self-portrait of me playing and singing, and a picture of my banjo with a garden background. And other photos of me performing. I do try to switch up my 50/90 and FAWM photos at least every couple of years.
    Oh yeah - one year I wrote songs based on a painting my daughter did, and the painting was my profile pic.
    To answer the original question, though - no.

• @ustaknow Mar 15

"chipwithrow" - πŸ˜€ I'm happy to explain anything at length if ever unsure πŸ˜‰ just ask.

Anyway, all kidding aside, "no", - in so far as you know, and if it matters, is an element. It may not matter, then of course, fully correct! Otherwise, - in so far as you know. It's why I wrote that professor story (true) to use selfie or not in their Online T&L classes.

So, I remember your ID pics, and I think I did not click - until I saw this ID Icon since then, to me made me think you're work product I may find interesting (which I do and you are aware, - all musical and otherwise). Regretting that change now, aye πŸ˜€ !

Now, this is more for "new" interaction, - effect. However too, if it takes one 1-2 years to figure things out, you may be "new" for 1-2 years pending a forum, or comment response. It's a 1 in 2000 chance +- ball park if <1 or >2 and if that matters; it may not, what's the rush.

Also, I am "sure" anyone presenting, "I'm a pro" type/skew logo/bio, etc., will get a different interaction; esp. "here".

Again, it is an interesting consideration, realised or not, cared about or not.

• @scottlake Mar 26

I had the same picture of a piece of rack gear that I snapped on my phone at Jars of Clay’s practice space many moons ago. This year, i decided to use a sketch I made of Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc that I did on my iPad. I’m not an artist but I tried Inktober this year on invitation from @stevenwesleyguiles and loved it.

• @ustaknow Mar 26

@scottlake your new logo effected me πŸ˜€. I did not act on it since I don't know you at all; however, here's what went through my mind, well, such as it is πŸ˜€

You, (I think it was you), commented "kidney stones" and that they "made your eyes water". πŸ˜‰
    - Well, that friendly Icon made me think, "hmmm, I thought kidney stones were at the othe end?!" - ouch. But, I kept it to myself. (almost - 'till now πŸ˜€ )

Rack gear is friendly too, esp if belongs to "Jar's of Clay", but, so, derUgo! πŸ˜€ (Great Logo ID!)

"...I have no fear of drowning, it's the breathing that takes all the work..." πŸ˜€ (practice that social distancing!) ... but, "...I don't want to be alone..."!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL004...

• @yam655 Mar 26

I was using a picture of Mr. Beany, my band's mascot and namesake, for years but I decided to start mixing it up a few years ago.

• @ustaknow Mar 26

@yam655 - I think you look "insanely friendly" here πŸ˜‰ , - pretty good ID Icon.

However, I don't know your Mr. Beany picture (I don't think I do).

Also, there's something very friendly about the word "yam"... I yam what I yam, has a Popeye ring to it. Not sure about the "655" but could be May 1965, - so happy birthday! if zo! πŸ˜€

• @yam655 Mar 26

@ustaknow I went to archive.org to double-check. Apparently, my first year of activity (2014) I used my "triple nose" photo. https://web.archive.org/web/201403041...

In December of 2014 I released my "Christmas 2014" album and set up my YouTube channel. That's when I started using Mr. Beany. He's still the user image for my band there:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSA...

In 2015, I was using that same image for FAWM: https://web.archive.org/web/201505091...

It looks like that was the image probably until I started releasing my 2018 albums or so, as in September of 2018 it was the cover art for "First Fruits" -- and an image directly referenced in my current one. I thought I used my "artsy" photo that I use on Slack, but at this point, I forget what it was when I replaced it, so I don't recall what I was using in 2019.

• @ustaknow Mar 26

@yam655 Those are all interesting to see like that. Have you kept track or "care" if there was/is an effect? I see, e.g., 2015 you were working with your children, so, assume context was an issue.

- They all look "friendly", so to speak, which is something that could be an element of consideration.

My ID Icons have only ever really changed during a FAWM/5090. Otherwise had been the "TV" "Test" card as Icon.

Again, for me, - I do notice a difference in interaction. I think some images are more approachable than others; and, I've commented, like with "chip" I think it was as example, - I felt that I could "accurately/authentically" approach him, so to speak.

I'll start a new comment so as not to get long here on your soundboard. πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 26

... anyway, it's not always "accurate" as I found here on FAWM πŸ˜€ actually. So, I took to reviewing e.g., FB, SC, BC and et alia to see if the friendly Icon, was, or would be as I see things.

And, to be clear, for me, -- that can be as simple as, -- if it's about the music. I'm not going to bother someone who may not be as into "music" as I may be. I get it wrong too, where someone seems to be askng for help, looks like is about "the music" and then you extend a thought and then they are "clear", - e.g., I really don't care. That does not make sense, esp if one is that careful; and, usually proves out in having another direction for being here. I try to pay attention πŸ˜€
    - However, all that ties into other things I do, but it all influences what I may write about. I don't study music to write music, I study life/people/"contexts" - like the Mourning-News πŸ˜€ hahahah.

• @ustaknow Mar 26

@yam655 it's interesting to see the other Icons in your archive πŸ˜€... those folks are long gone πŸ˜€ and, some, Icons still the same... that problem with selfies from 10 years ago, is, they're from 10 years ago πŸ˜‰ hahhh!

• @candle  Mar 27

I change mine up every year. In the past it usually fit the Concept Album I was writing during FAWM (sometimes the album cover itself). But the last couple of years I haven't had any plans going into FAWM & let my Muse have free reign (which has worked amazingly well, I have to say). So I've started to use 3D Fractals I've created as my Avatar.

See You In The Shadows…

• @ustaknow Mar 27

@candle I think your Icon works well. It's unique, and one can make it out well, visually. Some may use ones that may be to detailed for such a small pic.

For the first days seeing your ID, and since I just started wearing glasses as well, I thought your ID-name was candie, not candle. So, I had a disconnect until I realised "oh, candle-stick". Not to many candie-sticks, but there you go.

So I looked up other and found Candela - measure of luminosity. Anyway, having done that, - I'll certainly remember you!

I think for a while I used nutation - most easily remembered as a spin within a spin, more of a wooble within a spin. I like that one too.

Here on FAWM one can change a profile account name which means nothing πŸ˜€ I use to put in [offline], and looked like I was "off - line". Now it's Mine the Artist. I would never change the user name since would only cause confusion, and, really, who wouldn't know it's "me" πŸ˜‰ (No sock puppets here, - there are many, but none mine.)

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...