B4 you go ~ FAWMLings, ~ 1MoreThing ~

Skip to the bottom

• @ustaknow Mar 6

For those surprised by "what's 5090", after that is:
    "Roctober",
    - the month of October immediately following 5090.

You do Cover Songs, of all things, - the big reversal πŸ˜€ no originals at all, only your favoirite covers.

-- I knew I shudda put this up sooner πŸ˜‰ so folks not able to do 5090 might jump back and in for that.

Well, keep it in mind and just ask someone. It'll come up again in 5090, or should.

• @fuzzy  Mar 6

I usually start a Rocktober thread about the beginning of September to get it organized, so no worries there. I love Rocktobee!

• @celineellis  Mar 6

not gonna lie - 50/90 scares me. but Rocktober i can get behind! cheers for the heads up

• @tcelliott  Mar 6

@celineellis - Just do what I do and write between 1 and 126 songs during those three months. Doesn't really matter how many as long as you're staying creative.

• @spunky4455 Mar 6

I didn't know about this. Traditionally I am dead set against doing covers but that makes it even more of a challenge for me. I'll keep it in mind.

• @celineellis  Mar 6

im going to be focussing on doing some recording over the coming months. Ive not done 'proper' recording other than quick demos for a LONG time and i just bought an audio interface during Feb. So super excited to be doing some recording. If july rolls around and I find myself hankering i may be persuaded to join in.

• @pipewrench67  Mar 6

@celineellis I have done 50/90 several times never got close to 50 (fewer songs total for me done in 50/90 than FAWM). I have, however done way more collaborations in 50/90 the longer tine spans lends itself well to the exchange of idea between 2 or more people. So in Feb I cocoon and work by myself, in 50/90 I'll do collaborations.

• @celineellis  Mar 6

@pipewrench67 that sounds like a great idea actually!

• @metalfoot  Mar 6

Yes, 50/90 also lends itself very well to multiple-person collabs for the same reason-- you have the time to work it all out!

I love Rocktober. Where else can you hear me butchering old Turtles deep tracks?

• @ustaknow Mar 6

Yes, - we can't let folks know to soon ~ prior to leaving ~ what's up! (And then complain no one came/comes/it dies off? πŸ˜‰ )

Yes, @spunky4455 - in my life, I never did "covers", never cared to hear them, - but started two Rocktobers ago. I do kind of see the good of it.

I've "softened" on the notion πŸ˜€

• @spikedirection Mar 6

First I've ever heard of this and it excites me. Anybody got a link?

• @coolparadiso  Mar 6

Rocktober was much bigger last year. it's really interesting.

• @ustaknow Mar 6

@spikedirection - yes, it will be at the 5090 site and they'll prepare a somewhat pared down function for posts, but it'll work well enough. So, from a Forum Post Thread, (that will show up), as a jump off to pre-engage to the then Posting for Rocktober only and is separate for those songs posted.

The only difference that may annoy some (so to speak), is, you have to keep count of your comments received for you song posts, - the new ones are not flagged and the postings are all linear for all who post, so you have to page down to observe stuff like on a FB group.

I can only offer my opinion on that, - in that, oh man thanks! for that much since again!, all *volunteer work out of the goodness of their hears; and typically it's only a handful of folks posting/engaging this with one or two songs +-. However, the last two years there's been more gusto πŸ˜€ so, the limitations show, with greater engagement, so to speak.

The greater number showing up could be because I started to flag it early, (to the annoyance of some πŸ˜‰ ) -- or the beginning of a prior event. Truth be told, I'd've put up a sticky post 1/2 through *this FAWM so FAWMers may then engage since may not engage 5090 (all summer) but jump in October. I tend to beginning of 5090 flag it as a "hey, did you know (and annoys some for some reason?, maybe, maybe not..., but seems to have a good effect only). Again, when you find out AFTER so many times and then read all the "it's dieing out", "no ones into it", -- well, not if they do not know, aye!? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

Many from *FAWM, may be more working Performers who do covers anyway, but, now they're gone. So, maybe next year πŸ˜€

However, there are no "jobs" here so to speak, I just took it upon myself after being annoyed for finding stuff out AFTERWARD πŸ˜‰ So, I just yell fire fire early and then the others do their thing, e.g., Create a Thread as jump off point and etc.

Like the rest here, it's kinda ad hoc feeling until you do it one time, then it's not πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

• @aflinner  Mar 7

I’ve been participating in FAWM for a decade, and a few years ago went so far as to create a profile at 50/90, but never actually participated yet....maybe this year, we’ll see. Rocktober sounds like fun too!

• @ustaknow Mar 7

@aflinner if you're on the fence, just "plan" on One and see what happens; just a thought. Or, pick one from this FAWM list and engage it further if you do that.

So, seeing you here made me go have a look/listen at your stuff πŸ˜€; not allot of time today, but got one in.

On Covers, - me, I approach like the Public Domain stuff I love, - do it "my" way. And in that found a use for them as an intro to my stuff which had never considered. There's enough mainstream artist around today re-doing their stuff singer-songwriter style, - not as the "Record" that folks currently seem to "get that" and so, was a good thing for me in that regard. Not a big deal but I was looking for a positive to push me a little bit since was nearly "anti-covers" for some reason, I don't even know πŸ˜€ why.

• @fuzzy  Mar 7

Re: covers; you really can do any song you want in any way you want. Use your creativity! I've done a spooky spoken word version of The Beatles' "Run For Your Life", a ukulele and kazoo cover of The Ramones' "Blitzkrieg Bop", and a slow, sad cover of "Ace Of Spades" by MΓΆtorhead. Anything is acceptable! So much fun!

• @chipwithrow  Mar 7

Yes, Rocktober does make for some offbeat covers! I believe it was through a cover by @fuzzy that I discovered the music of Daniel Johnston.
    The Rocktober crowd has several times covered a whole Beatles album - I did banjo versions of "I've Got a Feeling" and "Drive My Car."
    I'm preparing right now for a gig tomorrow in which I'll do all covers - at this time of year, I can make a little extra money playing private parties for the retired folks who winter here in Florida. Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, and Paul Simon are in the setlist so far.
    I have a pretty good standing gig at which I can play the Grateful Dead covers I love to do, and sneak in a few originals. I've done a few Dead covers for Rocktober - "Bertha" on mandolin, and a stripped-down acoustic version of the psychedelic "Other One," for example.
    So yeah, Rocktober is a good thing.

• @ustaknow Mar 8

@chipwithrow yes, I came across some interesting Canadian's that way and other,- re: covers. One year someone said, "you remind me of..." and had to go check out their work (good comparison) he sounded allot like me πŸ˜‰
    - So, the Grateful Dead, is that a new band?

• @emkaydeebee  Mar 8

Ooh, I like the sound of Rocktober... I’ve done some pretty quirky covers in the past... so we need to exist in the 50/90 world to be a part of it?

• @sbs2018 Mar 8

I did my first 50/90 and first Rocktober last year. Hooked!

• @ustaknow Mar 8

@emkaydeebee - yes. Create an account and then listen to everything I do and say πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜€ ~~ No, just make an account and watch for the End. It'll be there if looking for it. You'll see a thread with lots of folks planing an album or like me, -- just doing a one-off of what looks interesting in the moment for some reason.

From that thread, folks jump off to the Left Menu Item (new pick) for new song load. It's linear like a FB group and you have to go there to see all. Then some may communicate back at the "community thread" in the "regular forum".

C? πŸ˜€

• @emkaydeebee  Mar 8

@ustaknow
    Yes, clear as day (it is foggy there today, right?!) πŸ˜‰

• @ustaknow Mar 9

Anyway, don't forget, it's all still there! πŸ˜‰ Get an account and practice now! πŸ˜€

2Listen:
    http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/rockto...

2add:
    http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/node/a...

• @ustaknow Mar 9

Remember though, - if you comment, then, now, then - you'd have to let them know or won't know since is not a function, todo, - so doesn't let Uno.
    - So, if many folks show up πŸ˜€ - it's gonna be fun scrolling back to see the "new" comments.

July, early thread:
    http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/conten...

• @toms Mar 9

Thanks a ton, @ustaknow , now ya got me itchy for Roctober! In March!!! πŸ˜€

• @fuzzy  Mar 10

I know, right, @toms?
    Me too.

• @quork  Mar 10

Great ideas for how to participate in 50/90 in a way that works for you. Thanks all. I’ve been intimidated by the time creativity commitment in the height of my summer. I may have to rethink it.

• @dzd  Mar 10

I've almost started 50/90 a few times...always something, I'll plan on it again this year lol..
    Rocktober I didn't know about...yeah that'd be a lot of fun! I actually enjoy butchering the hell out of others hard thought out and well constructed pieces.....to others listening pleasure, not so much hahah
    @toms @fuzzy @ustaknow yeah same, that is a wayyyss off... haha I have made a point not to strictly learn very many covers, definitely not note for note...would actually be fun, or to just butcher them πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 10

Yes, @quork @dzd - I go the butchery route, not Kareoke path. But, all do it well, as they like. For me, why re-do? Then, just play the "Record". Anyway...

I get the time issue thing, but, for me,
    -- and I get it may sound "that way" πŸ˜€ too, (bad), but when I committed to 1 hr max., record while writing and first-pass one-take I had allot more fun. I understand I may be kidding myself? but, πŸ˜€ hahhh I think I got better from my cellphone recording. (I think some forget? then, remind, - not hours across days, - lunch time and with Audacity, no plug-ins.)

- I'll repeat too, it's why I say, not "like", but good for what it is (?). I hate Opera, but know a good one when hear it. And, most of those, written in seconds, I understand (i.e., Bach, et alia). So, I'm as good as Bach? πŸ˜‰

So, - no point to this at all, just say'in, just say'in πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Mar 10

@toms ahhh, it's never to soon to prepare to Rock. It's only 7 mo's away.

And think of it, how many may be left by then?

Corinne, corinna, ... πŸ˜€
    https://fawm.org/forums/topic/10585/

Get'em in while the gett'in's good!

• @dzd  Mar 10

I almost always have something stupid to say whenever anyone asks me the whole
    Oh you play guitar any good what songs ya know play me something schtick
    I dont know or will not learn hotel California or freebird or stairway to heaven....or whatever else you can see their about to ask for so dont ask lol.

• @dzd  Mar 10

Even though in my heart I know I know these songs lol

• @fuzzy  Mar 10

@dzd; i can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Oh, is that a ukulele? Play 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips!!""

• @dzd  Mar 10

@fuzzy I bet....I told my niece she should try a bass ukelele out she curled her nose and starting singing that haha

• @toms Mar 11

@ustaknow off topic, but speaking of Corinne, I saw Big Joe Turner in May 83 at Joes Star Lounge in Ann Arbor. The bar owner, also named Joe, named the bar after Turner. 5 bucks a show, two shows. He walked in on double canes, slumped onto a stool, and then started singing. I've never in my life heard a bigger voice. Band was local guys led by J.C. Heard. Transcendent experience. Unbelievable.

• @ustaknow Mar 11

Re: "can you play..." πŸ˜€ and songwriting FAWM5090, etc.:

Favorite "stupid" questions... #01 -
    Hey, wow, you "know" gui-tar..., you know any real songs! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜‰

- No, they're all fake πŸ˜‰ hahhh

Well, there's no one that stupid in my audience, there's just no one in my audience πŸ˜€ hahahahahah... (I entertian myself, so well πŸ˜€ )

#02 is...:
    "Hey, that sounds g o o o o o d!..., who's that!?"
    Ans: "oh, that's me" (think about that ans, really is smart-ass if you get it πŸ˜€ )
    "No, I mean, where'd you get that? Who's is it?"
    Ans: "yeah, thanks, it's mine, I wrote it."
    - "Oh..."; walks away in silence, no longer interested... (?)
    Ans: [silent] "ashehole" πŸ˜€

Next time, I've gotta pick a name... "famous lost tracks of ..." πŸ˜€ hahhh!

• @emkaydeebee  Mar 11

So, (back on topic!) - this Rocktober thing... do folks post covers of any song, or is there a list of songs to cover released on 1st Oct, or some other way altogether?...

• @fuzzy  Mar 11

@emkaydeebee, you can post covers of any song you want.
    Additionally, we usually as a group pick a Beatles album to cover and whoever wants to participate choses a song to do; there is no obligation to do a Beatles tune, though.

• @chipwithrow  Mar 11

@emkaydeebee - I like that idea of releasing a list on Oct 1! There would have to be some discussion in September about how to make such a list.
    Another idea, sort of borrowed from @ustaknow - choose a public domain song (I like the old-time/bluegrass number "Darlin' Corey") or a standard folk song (like "Blowin' in the Wind") and whoever wants to comes up with a version.
    Both of those songs have been covered many, many times.

• @metalfoot  Mar 11

@emkaydeebee Rocktober is freeform, as @fuzzy said. Probably best that way, since everyone knows different songs!

• @emkaydeebee  Mar 11

Cooool.... I didn’t realise it was always a Beatles album that was the all-join-in one each year... (I think I clocked it all for the first time last year)...

I’m really up for all this, looking forward to Oct now!

• @ustaknow Mar 11

@emkaydeebee those URL links up thread, --- that start http//fiftyninety ... are to what is there now; from 2019. You'll need an account and be logged in to access. So, go do that now, and you'll be set πŸ˜€

-- What I've observed, and just love the discussion, it's great..., well as a newbee, --> getting ready for the beatle re-release πŸ˜€ is, only a few who discuss it with great vigor, - wind up doing it. πŸ˜€ it seems. So, my meaning is, it's all good, but, expect anything πŸ˜€ I've only been amazed and impressed.

- "fyi", The folks who join in a week late or two, generally may not get "engaged". And, or, this is the one time I'll comment on "comments" for comment sake (which I don't generally endorse), - plan on commenting on others if you want comments, arguably. I generally don't ascribe to that at all and don't endorse it, but, again, arguably in this case plan on interacting and "joking" around. Well, maybe a FAWMer like you will be hunted down for your greatness, πŸ˜€ but, I have to be mindful to not - "dine and dash" πŸ˜‰

- If anyone thinks it's a place to "demo" themselves, it's not. I hate to say that, but again-again, it's very hard to sell a Used-car at a Used-car Convention πŸ˜€ Folks are there to get drunk, and laugh a bit more prior to the "Holiday Season", as I've observed it.
    - But, I'm only 2 y.o. in this and just what a "newbee" thinks, if of any value.

--- Do it, do it, you'l love it, it's gonna be great, really πŸ˜€ it's fully guaranteed or money back less shipping and as fuzzy said, you can win a free trip in 10 years to the FAWM Summer House!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...