Zongs

Skip to the bottom

• @standup  Mar 1

Just a reminder. There are a LOT of no-comment songs out there as we approach the finish line. The Zongs. If you wrap up what you're doing tonight, how about going out and listening/commenting on some other FAWMers' stuff?

• @vivalarayna Mar 1

Yes, and may I recommend jumping to the oldest ones first? Those folks have been in the ether for quite a while.

• @standup  Mar 1

24 pages of zongs... The first ten are just songs that were posted today. I'm only commenting on zongs at the moment, but there's a lot.

• @coolparadiso  Mar 1

i will have a go at a few but I've already busted 173 this year.

• @mariekevinkmusic  Mar 1

Most of the Zongs are lyrics only. I know I am very guilty of not leaving many comments on lyrics-only posts. I feel bad about that so I shall spend extra time reading lyrics-only posts.

• @torniojaws Mar 1

The last time I checked, the list was around 600 in Feb 28 or so. It's much less than usual, which could be a good thing (more commenters), or bad (less songs posted).

Usually by end of Feb, the zongs list has been around 2000 - 2500, IIRC πŸ˜€

• @torniojaws Mar 1

Well, I did a round of commenting and now there are no more Zongs in the #metal category πŸ˜€ Except two of my own songs.

> Most of the Zongs are lyrics only.

I like those in a way, as they can spark up my imagination and perhaps inspire the author with some of my ideas how I would personally compose a song around the lyrics πŸ˜€

• @dasbinky  Mar 1

I'll also include a pitch for "single comment" tunes, which aren't as easy to find, but just as deserving of love. I've had feedback from people that it can be a bummer as a newbie to pour your heart into something, get a single "cool tune, I like it" style comment immediately by someone zongbusting, and then never get another comment since the focus is more on zongs.

Anyway, share the love. πŸ€˜πŸ»πŸ’œ

• @torniojaws Mar 1

@dasbinky I think there could be at least a partial solution to it by adding something similar to "zong", but based on the length of comments in total. So if a song has one comment: "Nice song", it would appear on that list. Or two comments: "Nice" and "I like it", it would also show up. But if it has one comment with say 100 characters, then it wouldn't.

• @ductapeguy Mar 2

Still 500+ zongs. Posting to keep this top of mind and forums. Think of it as a Pokemon hunt. Gotta catch 'em all. And there's bound to be some rare ones.

• @aeye Mar 2

I’ll be spending some time today going through them. Gotta make sure everyone’s work gets heard!

• @lowhum Mar 2

dust your bong, bust some zong

• @siebass  Mar 2

I'm working through as I'm able.

• @mikeb Mar 2

When someone says 'demo coming' (or similar) when they post lyrics, I refrain from commenting.

• @ductapeguy Mar 2

Oh my! Third time Fawmer @rbmarty000 got through the whole month receiving one lone comment, despite posting 8 songs. The demos are instrumental and melody with accompanying written lyrics for a musical in progress, so it takes some active listening, but the songs are solid and deserve some constructive attention.

• @siebass  Mar 2

I'm fairly sure I found one of those on my pass through this morning, just trying to do my part.

• @timfatchen  Mar 2

Ha! at least this machine can handle text. I'll look at lyrics then.

• @tsunamidaily  Mar 2

I actually found a week-old zong the other day which I added vocalizations over for a collab. Sometimes the instrumental zongs don’t get comments because the text asks for someone to add something. In this case that was a good thing, as I would never have found it had it not stayed a zong for a week and I gone zong busting.
    So as much as I agree that zongs need to be addressed, I was glad this particular one had not.
    Weird how things work out.

• @ductapeguy Mar 3

I ran into someone who posted 14 years old songs all at once.. I just moved on.

• @ustaknow Mar 3

Hmmm, how to say this, I LOVE the premise of this, anti-zoning and I do get it and support it, in anyway intended. However for me, don't un-zong unless you mean it. Like a kiss good bye, - mean it baby, mean it and then go away, so to speak πŸ˜€

We all got our things, with me, as some know it's not the amount of music, sex or pizza I get, it's the quality of it. And as we all know even when it's bad, it's still pretty good, so, - do eat it all then complain.

πŸ˜‰ yahhNo?!

• @siebass  Mar 3

@ustaknow agreed. I saw the same 14 year old posts that @ductapeguy ran into, and moved on, as I had nothing to say. If I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything at all and move on, just like my mama taught me.

• @ustaknow Mar 3

@siebass πŸ˜€ yes, indeed! I agree!

However, and truly not to be contrarian, what I mean for "me" is, I've never had a problem (again, with me, not anyone else or what I'd *do), you can say is sucks, ~~ just explain why. Don't say it's great or sucks unless mean it and say why πŸ˜€

For example since folks don't get that, - it's context (everything is). So, as abstract e.g., years ago me and the wife agreed to say, concerning Cooking (she's beyond Iron Chef level, so to speak), we'd say something was not good/sucked if it did and try to figure out why, or say 10/10, BECAUSE when I/she then said it was "orgasmic-gastronomy" so to speak, she/i knew that was "Real".

I goes back to "Mom", - "oh dear, you're just brillant and just love all your work and if anyone say's different, they're just jealous"; or being mean - and some ARE "here", yes πŸ˜€ We see that each project. Nevertheless, at some point, well, never for me, -- I don't need that. If I get up in front of a Venu and sing a "jack-ass" song? because everyone said they loved it... not good. (An over the top example to make a middle ground point, for sure πŸ˜€ )

I don't know what the other was about and didn't read that. I know that, e.g., members like "standup" are always authentically reminding of the stuff needs doing. I do too, whether taken that way or not πŸ˜€ There are no rules here and as at home, "no jobs" -- Laundry piled up, throw in a load, Dishes need do'in, do'em. I don't expect the wife to cut the grass, but she'd give it a try if asked. *Don't forget the Zongs, - I *agree! (see above for "me"). Thanks "standup"!

I know you well understood all that, more than likely w/o all of that! πŸ˜€ however, there are many here who do mis-read stuff almost on purpose? it seems?, so, I wanted that clear as mud πŸ˜€ by way over explaining it.

Appologies, but there you go. πŸ˜€

• @siebass  Mar 3

I THINK I get your point, @ustaknow, but I also think that here in FAWM, as I understand it, we try to highlight the parts we do like, to foster an encouraging atmosphere. I can only speak to my experience, but if I don't like something about a song, I will tend to not say anything about element, unless the author explicitly requested that type of feedback. Instead, I will try to find something I do like about the song, e.g. the instruments chosen, how well the harmony plays off the vocal line, some great visual imagery or wordplay, etc. and talk about that.

I certainly wouldn't want to tell someone that songs are great when I don't feel that way. I try to provide honest, positive feedback every time, and honest negative feedback only where requested. Negative feedback can be the most valuable, but it can also be hurtful and subjective, and in the other massive "what kind of comments" thread that pops up each year, there is another discussion I'm sure you've seen.

With my comments,

• @siebass  Mar 3

I just try to show that: 1) Someone has listened to your song that you spent time and energy to create 2) Someone has tried, and maybe not succeeded, to leave a thoughtful comment about what they liked about your song.

I feel like everyone that has taken the time to put in the effort into this challenge deserves at least one comment on their work like that; that is why I am in this thread and listening to the unlistened zongs.

Hope that helps add more mud to the mud πŸ˜€

• @mikeb Mar 4

Like @siebass said "I certainly wouldn't want to tell someone that songs are great when I don't feel that way." I don't think that is fair to the person - giving them a false sense of security about their music. I'm not going to come right out and tell someone 'their song sucks' - and this is a problem I encounter not only here, but at songwriter circles and at open mics. If I can't find something positive to comment on, I don't say anything.
    There are places like https://www.musesongwriters.com/forums/ where you can get honest crits, not just 'attaboys' (at least some of the time).

• @davidbreslin101  Mar 6

@ductapeguy - I found a couple like that this year. Not quite as obvious, but I commented on their songs, went back later to see what else they'd done, only to realise the release dates on the Bandcamp page gave the game away just a smidge...

• @davidbreslin101  Mar 6

...yeah, my zong-hunting keeps being curtailed by "Don't comment on this, fool!" tracks. I don't remember that from previous years!

• @siebass  Mar 6

We're down to the last 126 or so, making solid progress.

• @garlajoie  Mar 9

We're down to 18, including a few from @pointlessaccount who may be up to something interesting?

• @metalfoot  Mar 9

@pointlessaccount is waiting for @frogspawn to finish the tracks, then we may gladly comment away, I think.

• @mariekevinkmusic  Mar 9

How can @smileymn have only a handful of comments? Quite like most of his tunes and there is one Zong left! Go Go Go

• @postcardhelicopters  Mar 9

@ductapeguy @siebass -- don't worry; those old not-exactly-in-the-spirit-of-FAWM songs have just been removed from the official Zong list.

...perhaps in a less-than-subtle way.

Deleted comment as edited for stupidity πŸ˜€

• @postcardhelicopters  Mar 9

Reply to deleted comment also deleted:

FYI: it was just an innocent question and I didn't mind answering.

πŸ˜€ Thanks @postcardhelicopters Just actually properly reading your bio would have told me the answer. I usually hate when people just ask things they could find out themselves if they bothered (letmegooglethaforyou.com is my favourite website) and I was mortified I had put myself into that category.

• @stephenwordsmith Mar 9

Hello, I'm the sockpuppetteer responsible for @pointlessaccount. I don't mind if you bust the zongs if we're trying to eliminate them all, but I can confirm that there are concrete plans for these lyrics to evolve...

Bit isn't the challenge to finish them all in February? *Confused*

• @stephenwordsmith Mar 9

It is for everyone except @frogspawn, who starts the challenge after it's finished and still crosses the finish line.

• @timfatchen  Mar 9

@frogspawn is still stuck in the tidal flats of outback arid Port Augusta whilst his jailer finishes flat renovations and finds that, when one door closes, it can't be got open again because the handle hasn't been fitted and there IS no other door. Back and functioning Friday (THursday for USA)

@frogspawn sounds like an intriguing character.

• @timfatchen  Mar 11

Update: after a smashing time trying to get taps off a ceramic basin, back & functioning Sunday (Sat for north America.) A smash hit, shattering experience, glassy-eyed, china plot etc etc.

• @timfatchen  Mar 11

At this rate, @frogspawn won't win FAWM until April 1st, how appropriate...

• @siebass  Mar 11

I did that last year, almost exclusively on collabs. You can dooo eeet, @timfatchen, especially with that new sink.

• @electrocelte Apr 4

Haahahahahaha yeah the world is coming to an end, so my track 15 placeholder took forever to finish off... πŸ˜‰ . Have a listen, leave a comment. Thanks!! Come on come all...

• @stephenwordsmith Apr 5

The @frogspawn/@pointlessaccount zongs now have demos. Please feel free to listen and bust at your leisure. And why not investigate the rest of their catalogue while you're at it? Most of the songs are only a minute long or so.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...