Where does it all go?

Skip to the bottom

• @effigee  Feb 20

Hi there! First time FAWM’er with a question...Does the site just disappear on March 1st? Is it still open for a bit to listen to songs but not post them? What happens when February ends?!?

This has been SUCH a great experience so far. More challenging than I anticipated, but I can tell I’m growing as a songwriter.

It’s such a wonder to peer into the minds of other songwriters around the world. FAWM is all I’ve been listening to as I drive around this month—I’m gonna feel so empty when it’s over! (But yes, I’ll have the songs I’ve written to keep me warm 😉 )

• @metalfoot  Feb 20

The site remains open until the big site reset in the following January; people start to fall away on March 1 and it's usually pretty dead here by April 1. As of March 1 you can't post any new tracks. Some FAWMers even will take down their recordings. But for the most part stuff stays up and live and you can continue to listen and comment. You won't find as much back-and-forth in March and later. But there are a core of people (looks at self in the mirror, among many others) who refuse to leave and poke their heads in here throughout the year.

• @adforperu  Feb 20

The site will be open all year round apart from a few days in January - so in theory you can give and receive comments all the way up to half way through January 2021. Quite a few people stick around in March, but understandably, engagement drops waaay off. Glad you've enjoyed your first FAWM so far!

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 20

another thing worth noting is that although you can't post new songs after february 29th, you can still update demos of songs you have already posted

• @ustaknow Feb 20

If you care to be "organised" per FAWM stuff, -- create a placeholder, no song, but for when ready then, then upload it.

• @mikeb Feb 20

You will see people posting 'place holders' in the last couple of days of the month - just a song title, no links, so they can update once they finish their demo/lyric.

• @calumcarlyle Feb 20

The thing that partly holds many back from staying fully involved though is they know so many others have gone and won’t be back.

What I mean is this. Imagine 90% of the fawmers leave the site after February, but 10% still want to listen and comment, well your comment won’t be read by any of the majority who have already gone, and since none of that 90% are providing commentary on your songs either it can feel quite desperate quite quickly, and it¡s a disincentive to leave any comments and therefore to listening generally, all of which is a great pity imho, though people do have their lives to get back to with all good intentions.

The annual “who’s still here?” forum thread that usually appears on 1 March attempts to address this by reassembling the diehards but even so, that’s how it tends to go.

Perhaps if the site were to send some sort of email out in the third week of March and fourth week of April (and May etc up to the start of 5090), with a digest of received coments since the previous digest went out, this would help to bring back the FAWMmunity during the same time periods as each other through the year.

• @pipewrench67  Feb 20

I was going to mention watching the forum as @calumcarlyle did, there usually who's still here threads in March.

• @pipewrench67  Feb 20

Writing in bursts due to my texting ineptitude, I tend to close and lose what I've written.

• @pipewrench67  Feb 20

Other than that you can seek out people you get a vibe from on other social media, there are several FAWM related groups on the book of faces.

• @pipewrench67  Feb 20

If you are enjoying FAWM there will be inevitable FAWM withdrawal.

• @calumcarlyle Feb 20

There is a fb group called FAWMers who want to share their songs or something similar.

• @coolparadiso  Feb 20

I didn't notice anyone mention that you can archive all your stuff off anytime. I always archive mine at the end of March. remember the site is cleared just before it goes live for the next year. it's handy to look back sometimes.

• @timfatchen  Feb 20

@pipewrench67 I'm suffering FAWM Deprivation Syndrome and you're telling me there'll be FAWM withdrawal to follow? Aaaiiiieeee......

• @stephenwordsmith Feb 20

@timfatchen : I will tag you as a collaborator on all my unclaimed songs and you can have a go when this thing finishes.

• @timfatchen  Feb 20

@stephenwordsmith Heh heh heh! And here I was in despair, thinking about exhuming the time-twisting @frogspawn and wondering if I could coerce @stephenwordsmith to part with lyrics....

• @pipewrench67  Feb 20

@timfatchen I think the depravation my ease the withdrawal, and as seasoned FAWMer you know what's ahead, but coming down from that first FAWM buzz is something different.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...