How the heck do you play the violin?

Skip to the bottom

• @sapient  Feb 14

I thought it would be kinda cool to have an electric violin. Y'know. Mad pedal board and Kemper amp. It's gonna sound cool, right?
    Now I have one, and though I briefly played viola as a kid I clearly didn't learn anything that has stayed with me 😬
    Any recommendations for You Tube instructors or other cool resources would be most welcome!

• @bradbrubaker  Feb 14

The best teacher I know:
    https://youtu.be/TJL942hg0uM?t=30

• @chucknamaste Feb 14

My roommate actually plays the electric violin... He's even endorsed by NS! His name is Chase Potter if you wanna check out his stuff. I can email you his contact info to maybe setup a skype lesson or something if you're interested!

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 14

It’s not a quick thing to learn... but basics are all about positioning - how well you make it sound will depend on the position of your bow as you move it across the strings. Position of your bow translates to angle of bow arm, angle in relation to strings, angle of tilt of the bow, proximity to bridge... then there’s the right amount of pressure, the smoothness with which you allow it to move across the string... and above all, there’s how relaxed your bow hold is... then you can start to look at what your left hand does... 😉

• @johnstaples  Feb 15

@sapient , it is really easy to learn violin.

1) get in your time machine
    2) go back to when you were 2 years old and make sure you have a note pinned to your shirt that says "make me learn violin!"
    3) learn to play violin

• @toms Feb 15

Badly. I play it very badly. 😁

• @gammafied Feb 15

Every instrument has its challenges. I first learned some rudiments on the guitar, and it wasn't difficult to make okay sounds on the electric bass. They are similar shapes and have frets (my bass does)

The violin is my main instrument and the major pain point is intonation. (Yes, still) You have to know where the notes are on the fingerboard. Some teachers will put special tape for beginners to remind them where it is. Next up is bow technique. It is crucial to a smooth sound. Posture is also important. There are different styles and ways of playing. Good luck on your journey.

• @aflinner  Feb 15

Definitely work on bow technique, it’s easy to lose focus on what your bow hand is doing starting out because you’re just trying to find the right notes (which is probably why most method books start out by having you pluck the strings “pizzicato” - less to think about up front).

Also, decent rosin and some synthetic strings are helpful, I would think....and make sure you are just using enough rosin to get a sounds, not so much that it is powering everywhere, that’ll sound screechy for sure.

• @sapient  Feb 15

Thanks, everyone! Clearly much still to get right with bowing. Never mind hitting the right notes, I'm finding it hard enough to just get a consistent sound out of it... 😉

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 15

Lol @johnstaples that’s how I’m gonna become a billionaire

• @rshakesp  Feb 15

Yeah all of the above and practice 8 hours a day every day for the next 20 years with a really good teacher - and you’ll be OK 😉

• @atitlan  Feb 15

For learning violin the 'How?' is less important than the 'Where?' and the answer to that is as far away from everyone else as it is humanly possible to get.

• @johnstaples  Feb 15

@atitlan that is exactly right! I had to install a mute on mine to be able to stand it myself! The neighborhood dogs fear me.

• @atitlan  Feb 15

@johnstaples Bet the local tomcat was a fan, though 😀

• @lowhum Feb 15

1. take out the "vio",
    2. put a "mando"
    3. play!

• @emkaydeebee  Feb 15

@lowhum 😂

• @sapient  Feb 15

@lowhum - got me one of them already... 😉

Seems I'm getting somewhere at last. All of the strings make nice smooth noises, and as far as making other notes, I've decided that it's best treated like a Theremin... Start somewhere close and then slide to the right note like you meant to do that all along 😁

• @kovbleu  Feb 15

@sapient I thought the same and got one a few years back. I learned 2 things. 1. I have way worse eyesight than I thought. Looking down at the thing was insane. 2. Even though I was watching the how to video carefully I somehow managed to break one of the strings trying to set up the bridge. So yep. It sat in my closet untouched because strings were super expensive. I ended up selling it to my friend for her kid.

Best of luck to you! My dad was a fiddle player and I'd messed around on it as a kid. Maybe someday I'll try again. But I'll need glasses. Lolol

• @sapient  Feb 15

@kovbleu - quite a cautionary tale!
    I tell you what, no matter where I end up with it, it's just upped my respect for fiddle players one thousand fold!

• @kovbleu  Feb 15

@sapient truth!

• @andygetch  Feb 16

@sapient I bought a cello two months ago for a friend to play while visiting and b/c I love the sound. Mainly have been using for fills and background. TBH so far I'm playing a lot of open strings. How to learn probably depends on one's goals. The two things I would add is to relax and be comfortable, also doing scales (just like any other instrument) builds muscle memory.

• @iveg Feb 16

I remember playing open strings until we got a clear sound, then variations on Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to get used to different bowing patterns, and making sure the other notes were as clear and in tune as the open notes

• @bking  Feb 16

I have two very old violins that were built by my wife's grandfather at least sixty years ago. Every once in a while I can mange to get some clean tones but intonation is another matter. I know that I need to practice, a lot. But the end result is that I freak out my cats.

• @spinhead Feb 16

@andygetch You bought a cello to give a guest something to play. Either you float in a river of cash, or there's more to the story, or both. Anyway, I'll be there next week, if you'll tell me where "there" is, and buy me a cello to play.

• @sapient  Feb 16

Thanks so much to all of you who here who I've felt have been cheering me on, even those of you who think violins should perhaps best be seen and not heard 😉
    Four days after bringing it into my cave I've finally felt brave enough to get it in a song!
    https://fawm.org/songs/105665/

• @aga992 2 weeks

Violin is impossible to learn. Guitar on the other hand...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...