Hank Williams in Hell

Skip to the bottom

• @paulhenry  Jan 31

Last year a FAWMer I can't remember (who are you?) presented this challenge based on a song writing exercise.

Write a song using just the I, IV, and V chords of the key. You have to write each line of the verse and chorus without repeating the order of the chords on any one line (of course you can repeat the verses and choruses).

I wrote a couple of songs that way last year, and it was a liberating experience. I wrote the progressions first, which I don't normally do, then the lyrics.

If you try it, tag it #HWIH, and write the chords with your lyrics.

• @alyxanderjames  Jan 31

I believe it was @evinwolverton who posted it last year. It's a great challenge!

• @evinwolverton Jan 31

Twas me indeed. Glad to see it resuscitated ♥︎

• @paulhenry  Jan 31

Did I explain it well enough? Anything to add?

• @scubed  Feb 1

What a cool idea! I’ll give it a try.

• @nateger  Feb 1

Yep sign me up

• @jcooper  Feb 1

Me!

• @siebass  Feb 1

This was great fun last year

• @andygetch  Feb 4

Yeah tis harder than it seems

• @mikeskliar  Feb 4

can someone spell it out a little clearer? i'm having a hard time following exactly what this is? ('without repeating the order of the chords' huh?)

• @tcelliott  Feb 4

@mikeskliar
    If one line is I IV V I then you can't use that order of chords again.
    The next could be I V IV I and then the next could be IV I V I etc., throughout the whole song. Each section can be repeated but not the order of the chords.

I think there was a chart of all the combinations last year, but I'm forgetful.

• @mikeskliar  Feb 4

Ah ok thanks

• @hamiltonpoolhall  Feb 4

Oh, this sounds fun! And I was hoping to write at least one song this year that was (relatively) easy for other people to learn quickly, so I IV V sounds promising, even if the order is scrambled!

Do you have to have four chords per line, or can you have fewer (say, I IV V V )?

• @nancyrost  Feb 4

You have only straight four-bar phrases, and one chord per bar.

Dang! Alright then 😀

• @kovbleu  Feb 4

I want to try it this year!

• @paulhenry  Feb 10

@hamiltonpoolhall To be clear, you CAN repeat chords, like
    I I I I
    !V !V V I

i.e. each 4-bar phrase must be unique in the verse and chorus, i.e. in a 4 line verse and chorus structure, you'd have 8 unique 4-bar phrases.
    etc.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...