Release your FAWM album afterwards

Skip to the bottom

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

In another thread,I realised that all my favourite 2019 music is downloads from FAWM, and almost none is available easily beyond FAWMcogs.

I think that's a shame. Consider please releasing your FAWM music afterward (yesyes cleaned up by all means and yesyes only your best). It's nowadays so easy. Use Bandcamp for free. Or pay a bit of money and use CDBaby digital download (or pay a bit more and send them 5 physical CDs--one or two might even sell!). Put it up for free with a nice background piccie on youtube, If you go any of those paths, your music will live on, or at least, remain available. Don't use something where you only get a year of life or have to keep paying.

It's hardly fame and immortality, but it's better than total disappearance.

• @headfirstonly  Jan 29

What Tim said. I tidy up stuff and put it on Bandcamp (and yes, people have even bought it!)
    https://headfirstonly.bandcamp.com/music

• @mdavisto  Jan 29

All of our warblings are still on Soundcloud.

We want to do a proper album release at some point, but, life and stuff.

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

Problem with soundcloud is you quickly run out of space (unless you pay and keep paying). I'll have to wipe my soundcloud as I add this years FAWM onto it, assuming I can generate a normal amount of stuff that is. The others, essentially unlimited or at worst pay once only.

• @mdavisto  Jan 29

I've got a fantastic solution to your problem, @timfatchen: have a mental breakdown. That way, you don't generate many songs, and space is less of a problem. Worked a treat last year.

• @ustaknow Jan 29

๐Ÿ˜€

• @pbtaylorjr  Jan 29

Love bandcamp. Free and no real restrictions. Itโ€™s the sort of thing I wish existed (or that I knew about) when I started doing this recording thing.

I took the stuff that I felt went well together from 2018โ€™s acoustic FAWM and re-recorded them proper for this album:

https://philiptaylorjr.bandcamp.com/a...

And for 2019โ€™s FAWM I just have the original FAWM tracks up on BC since I did those already in โ€œfull bandโ€ format:

https://philiptaylorjr.bandcamp.com/a...

For 2020 I will make an album of the raw FAWM songs and if I feel they need it and or have enough motivation I may go ahead and take the best stuff and spruce them up into their own album afterward.

I have some older FAWM songs that I grabbed off of the SoundCloud I used for early FAWMS too and I just threw them in my giant through-the-years boxed set albums. So I think I actually have every FAWM recording preserved somewhere on my bandcamp.

• @ayehahmur  Jan 29

That's always the plan, @timfatchen. I have bandcamp and soundcloud accounts ready for it but I never seem to find the time immediately after FAWM to get the songs into a state which I deem fit for public consumption. That might mean a bit of production, or some extra instrumentation, or rerecording a vocal line or piano take I think could have been better if it wasn't rushed out because FAWM. And then time passes and I lose faith in the songs somewhat - at least to the degree where I wonder if it's worth doing the production work at all...

I guess I'm a "strike while the iron is hot" kinda person, so this year my plan is to do my best to make sure my demos are something I'll want to keep and work on. If it needs rework it won't get done.

It's year 3 of FAWM, and I'm still learning. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @timfatchen  Jan 29

@mdavisto No need for mental breakdown, I have challenges enough!!!

• @rahkoi Jan 29

I always want to do this, but then never end up actually doing it. I think my last bandcamp stuff is from like 2014 or something. A lot of it comes down to vocals, I think, in that the takes end up haphazard and I keep thinking I should re-do them before proper release and then... just don't ever do that. That definitely happened last year with my character themes that I fully originally planned to release as an album.

• @nancyrost  Jan 29

@timfatchen - it's taken some time, but you should be able to hear some of my collaborations with @standup in EP form very soon. I'm excited to share one of the songs with you in particular.

• @gslade Jan 29

I released my first real album last year on Spotify, and I hope to release a second one this spring. I have half to 2/3 or an album done. Aiming for a heavier metal sound, so I'll try to add the finishing touches with FAWM songs this year. So hopefully my FAWM output is loud and metal!

• @yam655 Jan 29

My notion of a "cleaned up" recording is probably a lot looser than most folks. I'll sometimes post demos I recorded in a moving vehicle to FAWM. That's the big one I don't put on Bandcamp albums. I try to minimize the kid noise on most of the songs, but I do a genre that was explicitly kept out of studios, so a little life-noise is just ambiance.

• @keithcuts  Jan 29

@timfatchen thanks for the encouragement! First Fawm I just let the songs sit there on SC unretouched.

Second Fawm I went back afterwards and hashed out my 8 best songs into fully mixed and mastered tracks with some lyrics added or tidied up.

They now live on in infamy on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube and all the streaming platforms. They make me money every day.

@ustaknow my SoundCloud didnโ€™t come with dates. I probably need the pro plan for that ๐Ÿ˜

@gslade Spotify is where itโ€™s at in 2020 I concur

FYI all of the songs were born in skirmishes. #dowhatworksforyou

I go by Keith Cuts on all the platforms if anyone is curious

• @musicsongwriter  Jan 29

Thank you Tim. Yes, totally agree. I do release when my material is cleaned and ready for the album ๐Ÿ˜€

• @aeye Jan 29

Yup it's a fantastic idea! We always put it up in the state it was made for FAWM on our bandcamp page. I think it's a great idea, and a fun way to also catalogue what you've FAWM'd each year.

• @coolparadiso  Jan 29

Yup done albums at least released on band camp after FAWM and 50/90 gives me 2 albums a year.

• @boxtape Jan 30

Totally have a few ideas for this, I think it would be cool to release a "Demo Album" of the tracks as they are when FAWM finishes, and then release a proper version of the album with the tracks finished/cleaned up.

• @tcelliott  Jan 30

@boxtape I love this idea... of course, I've thought about it for well over ten years with no action taken. Also, I'd have to write like 30 songs minimum to get 14 keepers.

• @andygetch  Jan 30

This!

• @ustaknow Jan 30

๐Ÿ˜€

• @heuristicsinc  Jan 30

I made one last year, but it didn't include last year's tracks.
    I picked my favorite "solo" tracks from all the years I've been here.
    https://heuristicsinc.bandcamp.com/al...
    Oh wait. That was two years ago. 2018. Time flies...

• @stuartbenbow Jan 30

I have 8 prior fawmโ€™s worth of tunes. They got progressively better over the years, but only a handful have been released. Many have been caught live, but I really need to go back and fix this oversight.

• @robynmackenzie  Jan 30

I got an EP out on Bandcamp a few years ago and all but one song are either FAWM or 50/90 songs. Even got a collab with @kristian on there. This thread is inspiring me to do more with my other stuff--and this year's output of course. https://robynmackenzie1.bandcamp.com/

• @mikeskliar  Jan 31

I've been doing what the original post suggested for a few years now- taking the 'best' of my fawm songs , usually doing some re-mixing, re-recording, and sometimes re-writing a bit in March, and by April, putting out an album on bandcamp. (ALso did it some years, tho not last year, after 50/90)... all that can be found, if anyone is interested, at https://mikeskliar.bandcamp.com/

• @tawalker Jan 31

This will be my first FAWM since 2017, and I've already decided to treat it as a "writing exercise" towards the album project I want to complete this year, rather than an album in its own right.

That said... if the demos turn out reasonable, I may well put them on Bandcamp, if "only" for you good folk ๐Ÿ˜ (and maybe as a "taster" for the main project)

• @torniojaws Jan 31

You can still get all my FAWM songs from Youtube. A lot of the songs will be featured (polished and re-recorded) on my upcoming full length albums for my main band, though. But you'll find the FAWM versions there ๐Ÿ˜€
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfw...

• @zachagerty Feb 6

I released all my 2015 Fawm songs, I just printed them some CDs as I recorded them. I didnt go back and fix anything, it was fun.

• @pearlmanhattan  Feb 6

Distrokid.. or Amuse,

• @wacha  Feb 6

I have been trying to get better at completing and releasing my recordings. Some of them have made it on to various compilations, I ave been working toward an album but picking some sings from previous FAWMs that work well together as cohesive album. I release the demos on my Patreon page.

• @oldlostjohn  Feb 6

Personally I'm not entirely comfortable releasing the FAWM stuff officially. Most of them I consider as drafts and demos, but I do go back and edit lyrics and rerecord maybe five or six of the better ones for proper release later on. But downloads? Does anyone really do that anymore or is it all streaming?

• @mikeskliar  Feb 6

that's an interesting question about whether people do downloads anymore- i guess less and less, sadly, but some of us still do! (having said that, i just downloaded the great new EP by @nancyrost and @standup called 'violet cusp' - link at https://ericagnerandnancyrost.bandcam...

• @megsongs Feb 6

Love the idea of doing this! With the tidied up best bits... There are some awesome tracks Iโ€™ve heard on here that need to be out there!

• @chaotrick Feb 6

Definitely worth it. My buddy started thinking about making short movies for YouTube and realized that with current copyright issues, he can't put that much music there. He asked me if he can use some of my songs and a lot of them were FAWM songs.

Also, it's a good progress-tracking tool. This year I see how far I came from the stuff I wrote in the last FAWM, and how different my music sounds this year.

On top of that, it's worth sharing the music either way. Just because we see imperfections in our own stuff, doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy it. I've released songs (both in and outside of FAWM) that I truly hated and don't come back to them at all, but some people seem to find value in them that I can't see to this day. It's all very subjective and it's just better to have more songs out there. You never know what someone may love about them.

• @billwhite51 Feb 6

I will have my FAWM album, 2020 Vison, up on Bandcamp on February 15th . https://billwhite.bandcamp.com/album/...' after that i will be doing collabs and a few songs that dont fit into the album concept.

• @standup  Feb 6

@mikeskliar thanks for the mention! Nancy and I started co-writing many FAWMs ago, and this Tuesday finally released a collection of the songs.

She was in my part of the country this summer for FAWMstock, so she stayed a couple extra days, we booked studio time, and started things rolling.

Here's the link, again: https://ericagnerandnancyrost.bandcam...

• @coolparadiso  Feb 6

I will again release a Fawm album, on Bandcamp and other places . I will also have on a web page all my other songs, available to all.

• @spacehoers420  Feb 8

I'll put mine up on Bandcamp when it's done, with proper song titles and an album cover I did myself. Right now, I'm using a small site called Alonetone that's been around for ages to host my files, so I'll be putting the finished album up there, too. I used to use Soundcloud, but ran out of room.

• @davidbreslin101  Feb 8

I had a particulary good 2018 FAWM, and have been /meaning/ to re-record it for a Bandcamp album ever since. OK, that's what I'm doing in March.

• @fourzeroes Feb 8

I'm saving up songs for an album. I think all bar one of them was written during a February. It'll be on Bandcamp when it's done

• @franniezest Feb 8

I LOVE Bandcamp. Itโ€™s the main reason I felt I could even release music being such a beginner.
    My album I released in December has a lot of FAWM tracks but not all so I didnโ€™t tag it that way- but maybe I should?!

Also I am somebody who downloads still. I like to buy from Bandcamp and support the musicians I listen to. ( I hate Spotify the free version never lets me play the specific song I want )

• @bithprod Feb 8

Along with @sveinae79 I released three albums of mostly FAWM songs (monikered The Indie Trilogy) in 2018, then a "solo" album (with a lot of help from great singers, obviously) early 2019. The total number of streams just about covers the yearly DistroKid fee, but those numbers are declining, so it might not be worth it in the long run.

That said, lots of personal favorites are not on those albums, as they are collaborations with other fawmers. God only knows if they want to release our songs. I sure hope they do at some point, as it would make me really happy.

• @quillwraith  Feb 8

I'm reluctant to release anything outside of FAWM until it's cleaned up and not just a rough demo, and am not very good about getting songs past that stage. (Also, I don't really have a satisfactory recording setup.)

For what it's worth, though, all of my songs on this songs are downloadable, and I encourage you to download them if you find them interesting.

• @ustaknow Feb 8

๐Ÿ˜€

• @tcelliott  Feb 8

There is this FB group we can use to organize if anyone is interested:
    Album Production Challenge: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Album...

• @celineellis  Feb 18

I use distrokid to distribute my fully recorded music to all the major streaming/download music sites. Itโ€™s a flat fee per year and extremely reasonable for how easy it is to manage!

After Fawm, I will set to work on an EP of my fav tracks as well as some others I have still unrecorded. Itโ€™s been many years since I have recorded an album so Iโ€™m looking forward to it and also dreading it a bit. Hahaha I kind of like a producer to help get the best out of me when recording. Itโ€™s gonna be different trying to do that myself this time!

• @tawalker Feb 28

My current thinking: I think the demos I've done this time, aren't too shabby (!), even though I am consciously making them quite rough and stripped-down. (I'm using FAWM for writing and "woodshedding" new material for a "proper" album project this year.)

So... I think I will "buff up" the demos in Logic (with some nice Waves mastering plugins, etc.), and put them on Bandcamp for a limited time. Once I've completed the "proper" album, I might compile a new "companion" set of the demos (including any post-FAWM ones) and re-release that.

Plenty of opportunity for life to change those plans ๐Ÿ˜€

• @coolparadiso  Feb 28

i think I've chosen my 14. will list them on 29th

• @seemanski  Feb 28

@tcelliott, been looking for something like that, thanks.

• @tcelliott  Feb 28

@seemanski It's been pretty inactive for a while. We can organize something and get it going if there is interest, though.

• @cairobraga Feb 28

I'm actually releasing my produced demos as a "FAWM 2020 Demos" album: sunday on Bandcamp and Jamendo and some weeks later on the other platforms. never did this before, but I really enjoyed my demos and want to put out some new music.

• @gubna Feb 29

I've put up my others on bandcamp as I'll do with this one. But this years version is going to be over 2 hours long, so it's kind of insane.
    Probably need to get into edit mode after a break. And I may actually paint the album cover. (planning to get back to painting in March and get away from the computer!)

• @thetambourinepeople Feb 29

My plan is to tweak up the songs a bit; my vocalists live in AR & CA, so some travel will be involved as I wanna 'direct' them in person to tighten up some of the singing, rather than the guesswork of remote singing by file transfer & matching phrasing etc...they're set up for voiceover & not music production, so bringing my laptop with the projects to their studios is best plan. Also intend to fix up some of the drum tracks as i just acquired an electronic drum kit so I can play into the DAW rather than piano keys as has been the only way possible for me for 25 years...then once that's done it'll be on Bandcamp, as well as CDs and a few lathe-cut vinyl LPs (most of those will probably be for friends as the selling price would likely be prohibitive). Will also be releasing it thru Tunecore as they handle publishing as well as distribution. This was fun.

• @smileymn Feb 29

https://mattsmiley.bandcamp.com/album... Mine are always on bandcamp ready to download. My project is almost done, one last song to record tomorrow but everything else is on my bandcamp including one non FAWM cover song

• @amboshel  Feb 29

cashmusic.org is another great free nonprofit resource if you want to make your own custom webpage! (Even plug in the BandCamp embed code or whatever you want ๐Ÿ˜€

• @billwhite51 Feb 29

Free Download through March 3 of FAWM COLLAB album featuring lyrics by Acousticmaddie, Elizabeth Petty Arthur Rossi, and Cindy Prince https://billwhite.bandcamp.com/album/...

• @carleybaer  Feb 29

I've always wanted to do this. My songs this year are all over the map though, genre-wise, so might not read as a cohesive album so much as a random smattering of songs. But maybe that's ok.

• @calumcarlyle Feb 29

Tim Fatchen is giving good advice here. I have genuinely lost some of the seven songs i did during FAWM 2017, i don't appear to have them saved anywhere, and i think the webspace i had them uploaded to must have expired and been wiped, but if i had put them on bandcamp they'd still be there.

That said, i usually keep my bandcamp for stuff i think is sort of release quality (well, for an amateur like me) and i am not going to be recording these songs to that standard any time soon, probably never, so i don't know, maybe i will have to stick them up on soundcloud right enough.

Anyway, yes do it, but ALSO, FAWMers DON'T DISAPPEAR as soon as it's March. The site stays up till next January and many people's listen links still work through the whole year. You can come back and comment in March and download all the stuff you need, plenty of time to do it.

• @mikeskliar  Feb 29

great thread, and glad that many folks here are thinking of turning some of their stuff into a more organized 'album' in some platform.
    In anticipation of doing just that, the last day or two I've started to think about what will be on there- seems like i did alot of slow ballad-type things this year, so yesterday I did a faster, rolling-stones-ish rock and roll kind of thing, which was fun to do by itself, but also to balance it out a little bit more.
    Look for a new album on bandcamp from me probably within about a week into March, i think.
    One question- most of my songs are fairly short... but curious, would people be more interested in, say a 12-track album that's 30 min long, or an 18-to 20 -track album that's 50 min long (more or less )

• @tawalker Mar 3

Here's my FAWM 2020 demos "mini-album" on Bandcamp:

https://tawalker.bandcamp.com/album/d...

I tried to mix/master them the best I could (in Logic with plenty of plugins), so they can be listened to in one go without needing to turn the volume up and down ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm going with my original "gameplan", which is to write and "woodshed" new material for a bit, then take the best stuff, rework as "necessary" and make some "proper" recordings for an album project to finish later this year. I reckon I might have four, maybe five pieces from this FAWM (and perhaps three of them being dead-certain) that I would think of taking forward.

Oh, and I'm planning to do the 5-in-5 challenge at songfancy.com this month... yup, I really want to get some new songs together ๐Ÿ˜

• @tawalker Mar 3

@yam655 Regarding the "background" "life-noise" you mentioned: many of the demos I just posted to my Bandcamp, have all sorts of family-generated sounds, as I recorded the songs while they were awake.

I've tried to minimise/date/de-noise them out as far as possible (or DI instruments into the recorder), but if you listen closely, you may hear my wife teaching piano, my daughter practising the cello, the dog whining to be let into the room... it's all part of the ambience ๐Ÿ˜€

• @jonmeta  Mar 7

Thanks, everyone. After reading your opinions I've put my first song on Bandcamp, under the artist name "Blomberg & Nelson".
    https://blomberg-nelson.bandcamp.com/...
    I've been a fan there for awhile and have bought albums by FAWMers. Others have put my songs on their compilations: Bill White's Songladder March 2019, and Rock the LUP Vol IX (2018). But I'm trying it myself now.

Not everything I fawm is worth releasing, so I'm thinking of a Best Of collection called "Seven Years of February".

• @bootlegger Mar 7

I actually am going to, for the first time, try to release this year's album. I have grand plans for it. So we'll see!

• @beautyspot Mar 7

It's fun to publish them as an album (kind of like RPM, but without the chaotic rushing to beat the deadline ) Gives me a chance to be creative with an album cover, title, and the order of the songs. Makes me listen to them again and perhaps tweek some mixing and kind of dissect what worked, what I would change, what I should work on. This year, it turned out to be 3 EP's, so three times the fun. I've still got to post the final one on Bandcamp, so I'm off to take some photos for the cover art!
    https://beautyspot.bandcamp.com/

• @musicsongwriter  Mar 7

Nice to see albums being uploaded on Bandcamp.
    Mine is https://nadiacripps.bandcamp.com/albu...

• @silvermachine  Mar 7

I've released mine into the wild where it belongs.

• @frey Mar 9

I've just released one of my songs from last year's FAWM on Bandcamp.
    Not sure about this year's batch, as they're all pretty rough demos...

• @mikeskliar  Mar 15

and my new album is out! "Copper Wheat Penny from 1911"
    available at
    https://mikeskliar.bandcamp.com/album...

• @boyatheart Mar 15

I've got my FAWM 2020 album setup for pre-order on Bandcamp before full release on 31st March. I've remixed 50% of it so far. I'm very pleased with it and to my surprise I've already had pre-orders!

https://robcmusic.bandcamp.com/album/...

I also recorded an interview for a colleague's songwriting podcast, which is yet to be published. I spoke about FAWM, so I'll post a link when it's up.

• @zecoop  Jun 19

For any still checking in.... I finally got my FAWM album finished up. remixed and re-mastered and put in a logical (to me) song order. I had so many great collaborations this year - the FAWM community really helped me through a terribly hard start of the year. (it's been just a little crazy since too, eh?)

Free download too!! Go ahead and put "0" in there!!!!
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/

• @celineellis  Jun 27

My new EP has 3 FAWM tracks on it if anyone fancies a listen

https://open.spotify.com/album/4XS2Iv...

• @thetambourinepeople Jul 10

1st FAWM and it came out so well that I'm trying to get it out on vinyl & some dead formats, because, 1960s fun! It's basically a Sunshine Pop album at its core & spirit, so in addition to vinyl we're going for CD, cassette, and even 8-track and reel to reel! Campaign with video & samples is at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

• @ustaknow 1 day

I did, but all as - singles! ๐Ÿ˜€

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...