Why does FAWM tend to be, for lack of a better word, "abandoned" after February?

Skip to the bottom

• @edwardsmusic Oct 12

I have nothing personal against anyone, of course. But this is an issue that frustrates me to no end.
    Most of the comments I've given have not received a response; mind you I've really only started doing some actual commenting post-FAWM. What I also find peculiar is the dwindling of users on the site, particularly the forums.
    So why is this?

• @johnstaples  Oct 12

Hi @edwardsmusic, FAWM is a one-month challenge. It has never been intended to be a year-round thing. So, when February ends 99% of participants leave. I have also wished it could stay around longer but I think a large part of the dynamic is because it is once a year and limited in time. That causes a sense of urgency and a lot of folks participate.

I would advise that you make comments during the challenge. Otherwise no one will ever see them and in January they erase all songs and comments and forum posts to start clean again in February!

If you make comments during the challenge you will get a whole lot more attention to your songs too! It is a nice side benefit!

BTW, thank you for commenting on my song! I just happened to see it because I have a feed set up. Most people don't do that. I appreciate your kind words!!

• @metalfoot  8 weeks

Every internet community has its own quirks and characteristics; this is the 'joy' of timed writing challenges (NaNoWriMo is very like this as well)-- during the challenge, it is HAPPENING and the COMMUNITY is amazing. After the challenge it's a ghost town.

• @shortdan  4 weeks

I gave 600 comments this year - only 2 or 3 of these after the end of February. I'd say the OP's experience is absolutely to be expected. FAWM is a February event - I throw everything I have into it every February and once March comes round I'm spent and need an 11 month break! In many ways it's largely pointless commenting too far into March (after a couple of weeks say) as it's highly probable that nobody will ever see the comment.

• @edwardsmusic 4 weeks

I definitely see where everybody is coming from, and respect their viewpoints. Regardless, I'm going to stick around until the site is wiped.

• @andygetch  1 week

As far as social interaction yeah end of February is like the end of a party. There is a FAWM group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/fawmers that has year round social activity. Speaking for myself, I shift to other writing challenges the rest of the year. I belong to a couple of song-a-week groups on Facebook. Then other challenges I participate in are Fifty Songs In Ninety Days (5090) which is the most similar to FAWM from July 4 to October 1. November has National Solo Album Month (NaSoAlMo) which I do simultaneously to NaNoWriMo. All of this in-between the day job, family, friends, and local activities.

• @zecoop  5 days

I agree with many of the posts here - After a month of FAWM I am spent and really don't write anything the rest of the year. I am trying to change that, but the fact that it is a very limited timeframe is what makes it work so well for me. I tried 50/90 and just can't do it. I do check in with the FAWM Facebook page every once in a while, and keep up with FAWM friends online throughout the year. Work and life have to balance my love of music, which is only a fun hobby. FAWM is very a special place and a wonderful community that I recommend to many people. 😀

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...