Do any musicians here use Linux?

Skip to the bottom

• @paulhenry  3 weeks

I'm considering shifting from MacOS to Linux and wanted to know if any FAWMers use Linux as their OS for recording and how they like it. I already have Linux experience and I'm familiar with the available software. I'm concerned with issues such as workflow, time spent on OS issues rather than music, hardware interface issues, etc. Anyone?

• @timfatchen  3 weeks

The only thing that stops me throwing Microsoft out the third-floor window is the mountain of wretched audio, video and notation software, including all my go-to's, that won't run on Linux, and the thousands of dollars and hours I'd have to spend to make the switch. My advice? Switch while you can, BEFORE you start the software accumulation!

• @rwc 3 weeks

I use Mint and I’m really happy with it. I'm using Audacity, Hydrogen, and a couple of soft synths. Everything was available through Software Manager so setting it up couldn’t have been easier. Similarly, Mint just detected my microphone and it worked straight away. I think my workflow is probably quite simple so I don’t really have any sense that using Linux has any impact on it. I don’t think I’ve spent any time on OS issues at all.

I think someone else asked about using Linux in January so you might want to look at that post, if you haven’t seen it already.

• @tseaver  2 weeks

@paulhenry I've been defenestrated for twenty years now. Recording under Linux is a lot easier than it used to be, particularly with an audio-focused distribution (I'm partial to UbuntuStudio).

Ardour, Muxbus, and Reaper are all good DAW choices.

• @torniojaws 2 weeks

At some point, I hope to, since Linux is my primary OS for all work things and would be at home too if it weren't for Cubase. The biggest obstacle is that I rely heavily on VST-instruments.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...