Is anyone else still writing?

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily 5 weeks

So I have kept going after FAWM, writing basically a lyric every two days, which never happens. It is like FAWM primed me and got me going. Has anyone else experienced this? I still owe a musical realization for a random collab that fails to inspire every time I attempt it, but the lyrics are still flowing. I wish I were this inspired to record these days. It has been years since I recorded most or all of the lyrics I write, even if I do put changes to them. Living with my parents and helping them out has eliminated my ability to take the time to record. I hope everyone is well, whatever you are doing. Some of the songs I kicked out after FAWM are quite decent, too!

• @billwhite51 5 weeks

i was working on an ambitious collaborative project that we put o the bacj burner when we realized we culdnt finishit before the fawm deadline. and i have been having a hard tie getting my engine going in order to resume work on it now. but soon, i hope to be back in gear.

• @quork  5 weeks

I’m not writing songs, but I find listening to so many songs on here is inspiring. I’m filling up my journal with song ideas and lyric fragments. Once I recover from FAWM song writing and demoing I’ll get back on that horse.

• @vomvorton  5 weeks

I wrote some new music today, it felt good! Definitely trying to keep those fires burning post-FAWM...

• @zecoop  5 weeks

I have plans to keep writing with a few different people... This year it is going to happen. 😀

• @musicsongwriter 5 weeks

Yes I keep writing or rather recording and posting on Bandcamp. Instrumentals using fl studio or my acoustic piano.

• @iveg 5 weeks

I've been stalling on another project. I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't be writing songs. Sigh. My brain is oozing with possible song ideas.

• @davidhendricks 5 weeks

I've written a few post-FAWM

• @kahlo2013  5 weeks

Sure thing!

• @barbara  5 weeks

I've done a few lunchtime LyriCloud writes during the work week. Even if I don't leave the office, I feel like I've gotten a change of scenery by visiting my imagination and engaging my writer's brain! Music, not so much.

• @metalfoot  5 weeks

I just keep on keeping on, myself.

• @rainchaser  5 weeks

Right now working on updating my demo. My guitar jack just broke so I'm right now trying to spend time on commenting now that I have the chance to do so.

• @mikeskliar  5 weeks

glad to hear some folks are still writing! I took a 'writing break' but what might motivate me is the following- now gathering and choosing songs (with a little re-writing and re-recording) for the next album project I'm doing .. and sometimes in the past when doing these things, I realize 'I need a song that does x' in there, and just write a new one!... doesn't always happen, but its a nice motivator when it does

• @audrey  5 weeks

I've been working on a new song over the past two days. I think I'll call it 'Spring'. Working on the piano music first this time. I usually start with melody or chord progression. This time, I'm letting the piano accompainiment tell me where it wants to go, and which chord is next. I'm liking what I have so far.

• @chipwithrow  5 weeks

Interesting thread - makes me wonder the opposite: How many of us only write during FAWM?
    Up until two years ago, I only wrote during FAWM or 50/90 for quite a few years. Then I joined the Facebook skirmish group in 2016 and participated in between.
    Right after FAWM this year, I was rehearsing Irish folk-sounding instrumentals for a fun event at our yoga studio. So I added a few verses of words and shared them with the Skirmish group.
    And just a couple of days ago a fellow FAWMer reached out to me about continuing to collaborate, and that sounds fun.
    Also, I have a couple of projects I'm excited about, including one that might actually make a little bit of money. Those involve mainly songs I've already done, but maybe a couple new ones or some significant re-writing (which is something I seldom do).

• @cblack  5 weeks

Yep, me. I've recorded 7 songs for a total of 36 minutes of a piano album, this month. FAWM, I did 8 electronica songs for 22.5 minutes of music... So yeah. I seem to be going a whole lot faster this month than I did during FAWM!

But the thing is, I want to be a professional musician. I want to do this for a living, which means, at its core, doing the thing. And I also bought a new keyboard which truly inspires me. Such an evocative grand piano soundfont! I love it to bits. Like, I've played my grandad's $3000 organ a few times since buying this $279 keyboard, and I now feel as if the organ is bland and lifeless. 10 times the price, but it doesn't inspire me the way the keyboard does.

So short answer: Yes, I'm still writing, and hope to be doing so all year. 😀

• @siebass  5 weeks

Not as much, more kicking the tires of the songs I wrote at open mics and focusing back on performing/band work as opposed to my solo stuff for FAWM. Glad to hear that writing is happening for you, @tsunamidaily

• @wacha  5 weeks

I started working on another song but really need to get focused on recording the half a dozen or so projects I want get released.

• @gslade 5 weeks

I've gotten two tracks done since FAWM ended. Goal is to get a quick album out before the summer.

• @zecoop  5 weeks

@chipwithrow - It even sounds strange to me when I say it, but I almost always only write during FAWM. I've tried 50/90 a couple times and have gotten a couple 4-tracks done, but summer for me is being outside and having bonfires at night. But outside of official writing challenges, I need to try to write some songs. I love writing music and can never figure out why it is so hard to dedicate time to it, outside of FAWM. I really have committed in my mind that this year is going to be the one, with the two projects I have planned with two other FAWMers. 😀

This year for sure....

• @siebass  5 weeks

@zecoop, I made it a personal challenge to write at least one new song to play at a monthly open mic; that way each year I will always have at least 12 new songs. Maybe something like that would motivate you?

• @zecoop  5 weeks

@siebass - Well, I don't play open-mics (other than in 2011) since I don't write songs that can be played by myself. I don't do lyrics and hardly do vocals. I have committed to write with two FAWMers and attempt albums with each, so hopefully that will motivate me. I have collaborated before with them both and have a real writing connection with each of them. 😀

That sounds like a great goal for yourself - I just liked your page so hopefully I'll hear them. 😀

• @frey 5 weeks

Hmm it really took a lot from me to finish those 14 songs, so I'm taking a break. I'm still writing, but slowly. I've only written two songs so far this month!

• @siebass  5 weeks

@zecoop Thanks! I'll make sure to live stream some of them on the page. 😀

• @coolparadiso  5 weeks

I write 1 per day. I am trying to stretch the breath of my style! I pick a style/genre and try and write 1 a day on that style for 14 days. plus i get asked for songs for things and have to do them as well. Since the end of fawm i have written my first 14 on what i call naive pop songs ( early 60's style) 7 so far on Prog rock style (deep and meaningful fantasyish) and 7 on request mostly situational/ amusing. Any ideas for future style greatly accepted! (ps i cant read the word Disco so no good asking)

• @hummingbear 5 weeks

My brain is still in FAWM-drive. While on Pinterest I spotted a typo and immediately thought it make a great piece. "Remove Rust in 5-Minuets," with a photo of round cake tins. What would I enjoy listening to while scrubbing them? And if I could write one long minuet, wouldn't that be enough time to get the job done?

Earlier I did write another set of lyrics. Song idea spigot has not been turned off.

• @oneslowtyper  5 weeks

After FAWM, it's hit and miss stuff at Kompoz and MCS, until 50/90 gets a little closer.

• @tcelliott  5 weeks

A bit, not a whole lot, but a couple of things here or there. Wanting to fix my computer or buy a new one so I can actually record and or mix some things. *sigh*

• @sunnymae  5 weeks

I am. I'm looking over my fawm material starting to tweak, do some re-tracking re-writes and add some verses and so on. I'm happy I'm doing this. There have been other years where I haven't touched the material ever again. I promised myself I would find better balance and continuity this time around.

• @marchllywd1 5 weeks

I have also been writing and I have a new track I would like to share with.. VOCALS Yesss. I found a great singer and we cut one of my songs . He did a bang up job on it. But, I cant upload it for your critique. Darn.

• @coolparadiso  5 weeks

put it on soundcloud @marchllywd1 and then leave the link here!!!!

• @majordanby  4 weeks

I’ve started a few but this is the only one that I finished recording.

https://soundcloud.com/major-danby/ch...

I learnt a lot this FAWM and I think this is a bit of a mix of all I learned all rolled into one

• @oldlostjohn  4 weeks

I like to try and keep the momentum, but it's mainly about improving the lyrics of my FAWM songs and often trying alternative melodies/chords/arrangements.

• @fuzzy  4 weeks

I'm trying to ignore my songwriting urges until 50/90 gets here, although I'm still playing every day and usually come up with a couple of strange odd-tine-signature things in the process.

• @infilktion 4 weeks

I'm working on finishing songs started before or during FAWM that aren't done yet. My goal for the year is at least one song a month.

• @siebass  4 weeks

Oh yeah, definitely writing this week as I forgot I owe folks kickstarter backer rewards O.O

Mostly 15-30 second shorties though so shouldn't be too bad.

• @tamsnumber4 4 weeks

I have to continue writing because I co-run a songwriting group and I have to present a new song each month, but depend on my FAWM songs for the month of March because I pretty much tank right after FAWM, I feel like my brain and energy are drained and I sleep LOTS, I am finally feeling the urge again and just tried a new tuning on my guitar and wrote a first verse of a new song....but still listening here for inspiration and good vibes!!

• @chipwithrow  3 weeks

@fuzzy - I was just thinking of starting a 50/90 thread here, to see who plans on doing it and what they plan on doing. I've already started an outline for how to approach 50/90 - one that I will likely abandon once 50/90 actually begins.
    @tamsnumber4 - I too wrote the first verse of a song, in fact the first two verses. And then family came, and I took on 2 new work assignments, and I thought, "What the hell am I doing sitting here writing a song?" So I'll finish it either for the skirmish group on Facebook or for 50/90.

• @siebass  3 weeks

My plan for 50/90 is usually 5/90; that way I can take it easier most of the 3 months.

@tamsnumber4 I also make myself write a new song each month for an open mic, but am feeling burned out after FAWM. Might have to use a FAWM one for April before getting back into the groove.

• @powerstars 3 weeks

Yeah! I was really happy with my FAWM stuff and I'm taking the opportunity to work on experimenting more. I've completed three songs since FAWM ended.

• @tsunamidaily 3 weeks

this last month i finished 12 lyrics and have 5 half-done. so i finished half of what i did last month, without the reward of submitting them for feedback. who knows if it will stretch into a third month. i have to get my pro tools going again after a windows update so i can finish the collab i started. that slows me to a crawl.

• @iveg 3 weeks

Working on one. Well, I would be if I wasn't on the forums. Leaving forums now.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  3 weeks

I'm continuing my habit of writing 1-2 songs (via GYAWS on Facebook and Songwriting Game). Staying in an "accountability group" has really helped me. Like FAWM, but not quite as intense, but it keeps me sharp year round! 😀

Also, I was inspired by @tcelliott and @mikeskliar who are doing the album production stuff. I really have a CRAPLOAD of songs that I'd like to release that I just haven't officially released.

So, I'm priming a release for my band Future Kings of Denmark in the next month or two. Basically, just FINDING my freaking tracks on my harddrive and doing some simple remix or adding bits and bobs here and there. 😀

• @stevenwesleyguiles  3 weeks

Good job @powerstars!!! Way to keep the FAWM energy burning bright!

• @tcelliott  3 weeks

My recording computer bit the bullet so I'm debating on how to spend money. I've waffled between repairing said computer or buying a new recording only computer to quitting music for the rest of the year. I'm still undecided.

Although, to be fair, quitting music isn't cold turkey. It means not recording with anything other than a handheld mic and focusing on other hobbies/interests/obligations. This weekend, for instance, I spent two whole days on the yard. It felt good... until the muscle aches started.

And.... I did go over to a friends house and write a song a week and a half ago. So there's that.

• @darcistrutt  3 weeks

I've done a song with the grandkids because they asked to. They know I'm the grandma that writes songs and haven't figured out I write them more in February and the summer months. I'm preaching once per month at our senior care center and it would be fun to add in a ukulele song to support the sermon now and then so I'm hoping to keep creating. Our congregation really enjoyed "How to Love" which I wrote in February. Nothing serves your message better than a ukulele song!

• @mikeskliar  3 weeks

"nothing serves your message better then a ukelele song"- yes!!

and thanks @stevenwesleyguiles for that shout-out (here and on fb) -- yes, my album is finished and was posted to bandcamp last week.

as for 'new songs'--- I guess I haven't written anything totally new for a month or so...hoping more folks check out the new album, and if enough (ie -maybe two or three?!) people dig it and demand new songs... well, that'll be a motivator! 😀

• @torniojaws 3 weeks

Of course 😀 But generally outside of FAWM, I write in batches. Like 2-3 songs within a few days, but once a month or so.

• @jamkar  3 weeks

I wanted an even 10 songs for the new album. That meant writing one post-FAWM song to include. Otherwise it's mixing and eventually mastering for a May release date.

• @iveg 3 weeks

My process this year has been backward from my normal lyrics-melody-rhythm-harmony process. It's slower than normal. I finished one song yesterday but haven't recorded vocals. I started a new song yesterday got my basic chords, drums and bass for the intro. Now working on guitar.

@darcistrutt love the ukulele quote
    @tcelliott could you record to your phone or a tablet? Nothing wrong with other hobbies, too.

• @tunecat  2 weeks

I seem to have stopped... bt I've just had a friend master about 15 previous songs which is absolutely fab .. and now I'm going to mix/master most of this years' FAWM stuff. I wrote a couple of lyrics in March but not much else. However I can't wait to start again. If anyone has a suggestion of a work process that includes write/mix/master in a fluid day/week plan I'd be really interested. I also seem to write in batches.. but the other stuff often doesn't happen: including marketing etc. Methodical people amongst you.. please share your wisdom.

• @tunecat  2 weeks

I seem to have stopped... bt I've just had a friend master about 15 previous songs which is absolutely fab .. and now I'm going to mix/master most of this years' FAWM stuff. I wrote a couple of lyrics in March but not much else. However I can't wait to start again. If anyone has a suggestion of a work process that includes write/mix/master in a fluid day/week plan I'd be really interested. I also seem to write in batches.. but the other stuff often doesn't happen: including marketing etc. Methodical people amongst you.. please share your wisdom.

• @tcelliott  2 weeks

I'm not very experienced in marketing and suck at it. But as far as a method goes to produce... Set goals and write them down. Whether it's write/record/mix/release or it's a single element in that list.

For me it would be something like:
    1-Select song to produce
    2- Record song by next Friday
    3- Mix song by Sunday evening
    4- Listen back and reference in car/earbuds/etc on Tuesday (at least one day off)
    If happy then go to:
    Create artwork
    Upload artwork and track to google drive
    Use Amuse.io to 'release' it to spotify/itunes etc
    Upload it to bandcamp

Or if you have a patreon, share it with subscribers
    Take the last non exclusive song I shared on patreon and release it to the rest of the world

Rinse and repeat. Possibly at some point gather the last 10-14 tracks and release an album

• @mikeskliar  2 weeks

by all means go for it, if that works for ya!!!! For me, I really enjoy that interplay of songs, themes, moods, contrasting and linked styles that make up a collection of songs we all call an 'album'---- so once I have a group of songs from a certain time period, etc., I set a deadline (usually about a month after fawm, more or less, for example) and work on the album--- all that being said, if 'song by song' works for ya- go for it!

• @krayzie003  1 week

I've been writing and recording quite a bit since FAWM. I'm taking a break right now to finish up some other projects but I'll be back at it soon. I'm trying to make it a habit of writing at least a song a week and participating in whatever challenges I come across. I recently did the 5 songs in 5 days challenge and came up with a few songs that I really like. Next week I believe is the start of the next Fearless Songwriter challenge. That should be a fun one.

• @coolparadiso  3 days

@krayzie003 or anyone else how do i find the fearless songwriter challenge? Ok guys have found an FB page i guess that is it!

• @iveg 3 days

Writing a concept album/ musical. Started as a joke, a synthesis between Pirates of Penzance and Twilight/ the band Muse.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  1 day

So sad. Ghost town FAWM is sad and lonely. But you shall rise again from the sweet ash heap, next February. 😀

And yeah...I'm still writing a song a week. Or two. And I'm going to release an album of songs as my band Future Kings of Denmark.

• @zoom  1 day

Well said @stevenwesleyguiles ! Ghost town FAWM 👀😢

I am writing a little.
    bits and pieces that might turn out to be something ... 🤓

• @sunnymae  8 hours

I have finished two of my re-writes and now looking at my song list to pick 3 tunes to finish while I am on my annual songwriters retreat this coming weekend. So glad the coals are still warm. It's all good.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...