Next year ....

Skip to the bottom

• @kevinemmrich  Mar 16

... let's be honest about the "March is commenting month" thing (ha, ha). I stayed active for two weeks and many others have, too. And comments and listening are always greatly appreciated. But next year let's let folks know that 50% of participants are gone by March 1st, and 90% are gone by the end of week one, and probably 97% by the end of week two. (yea I am making up the statistics, they might just be alternative facts).

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with us diehards refusing to go "gently into the night", It is just that FAWM really is a February thing for the most part.

I hope this post doesn't come off as negative -- FAWM is always a super and positive experience from beginning to end (for me, at least).

• @vomvorton  Mar 16

If we say that up front then won't even less people stick around in March, though?

I feel like there's been more post-February activity this year than most, but maybe I'm just more active myself and experiencing the usual "you get more out when you put more in" thang.

• @wacha  Mar 16

I tried to get as much as I could up early in the month because I know as the February goes on, less and less people are listening and once the month ends you are lucky if anyone checks out your music.

I have received some very lovely comments from some of the folks who are still hanging around and I'm still listening and commenting in hopes that some of the people who are already gone will see the comments next year if they log in before everything resets.

Some of my listening is for my own benefit, there is a lot of great music here and I could never listen to it all in February. It would be wonderful if more folks stuck around longer but I am grateful for the ones that do.

• @kevinemmrich  Mar 16

@vomvorton : That's a good point. You have been here one year longer than me so you have seen it all! I don't think it will cause more people to bail earlier, but from my viewpoint, the vast majority have always bailed out earlier.

@wacha : I have gotten a lot of great comments in March also. Plus I have listened to about 100 new songs in march myself. Next fawm I will continue to comment into march as well.

• @chipwithrow  Mar 16

I was just thinking how cool it is that so many people posted in the "who's still here?" thread in the time since I went to bed last night - that many more folks to listen to! And then you go and burst my bubble, @kevinemmrich ...
    Actually, it would be interesting to know the exact percentages compared to Kevin's "alternative facts." But that wouldn't keep me from sticking around - there are still plenty of people here to keep me interested and engaged.
    I love the community of FAWM, of course, and those who are still here have become a community within a community.

• @zecoop  Mar 17

I refuse to give up... Although it does get kind of depressing. But as @chipwithrow said, it is encouraging too, because the people that stay get to know each other more. πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Mar 17

To me..... February is really intense. At the end of FAWM (this is my third one), I just have to walk away for a couple of weeks (.....that way the family knows I’m not going to lock myself in a room and be a hermit for the rest of my life..... πŸ˜€ ). When I do come back, I enjoy the forums and the music. I am usually keeping the songs running through my computer through April.....

• @julesbf Mar 17

I have been surprised how few of my comments since the end of feb have been reciprocated, even though i have been using the 'who's still here' thread to concentrate on those folks still about. Just a 'feature' of FAWM I suppose, embrace it in all its wondrousness!

• @johnstaples  Mar 17

@kevinemmrich I agree with you. After 6 years of FAWM I am finally coming to terms with the fact that March peters out almost instantly. I love all of y'all who do try and keep it going and I encourage you to do it as long as it is satisfying for you! But I think next year I'll do February and maybe a few days into March and then just quit cold turkey. The checking in daily and leaving comments for those no longer around is a tad depressing to me.

• @rustyp  Mar 18

At the risk of suggesting that the FAWMtastic web admins don't do enough, I wonder if they could create a notification email feature. FAWM is busy and fast an furious and checking in every 5 minutes during February, we see the new comments, but if more people saw comments coming in in March, maybe they'd come back and reciprocate. Maybe an alert email system saying, "you've got a new comment" would keep people coming back and commenting.

• @scottlake  Mar 19

@rustyp there is already an RSS feed that accomplishes the same thing. There are many different ways to send the RSS feed to either text messages or emails.

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

@scottlake but nobody uses RSS so it does not really accomplish the same thing!

• @chipwithrow  Mar 19

@johnstaples - Regarding the last sentence of your post: I don't leave comments for those who aren't around. And yes, that means I miss out on some good music. But those who are sticking around - like you - have created more than enough great songs to keep me listening.
    And my quick, rough count tells me there are at least 30 or so people still posting in forums daily or almost daily. That's good enough to keep me going for a few more days.

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

@chipwithrow that makes sense. I've been trying to pay back a few I owed but so many of those folks are gone. Wouldn't it be cool if everyone who had posted a comment in the past 24 hours had a mark by their username!

• @zecoop  Mar 19

@johnstaples - I like the active mark idea! Kind of like a green dot so you know... πŸ˜€

• @scottlake  Mar 19

@johnstaples but it does accomplish the same thing because there are several published ways to send RSS to email or SMS. All we really need is someone to confirm one of these already published means works then pin that in the forums or elsewhere.

• @scottlake  Mar 19

@johnstaples see https://blogtrottr.com. Very simple.

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

@scottlake that is a cool service that really makes RSS easier and more accessible but you'd still have to somehow get each FAWMer to go to that third-party site and set up their email for the feeds, right? Sure seems like too much effort and too little chance of success. On the other hand if the FAWM devs added a simple email notification with opt-in/out literally every single FAWMer could take part in that (because you need an email to sign up!)

And anyway, the only feeds available here are for songs being posted, which would be dead now I assume, and forums neither of which would satisfy the need for an alert whenever a FAWMer receives a new comment on one of their songs. Another minor issue is the FAWM feeds won't push so the service needs to poll the site hourly to get its updates before emailing you.

--------------------
    Does FAWM.ORG have RSS feeds?

Yes! We have one for songs (which you can subscribe to as a podcast), and another for forums:

http://fawm.org/songs/feed/
    http://fawm.org/forums/feed/

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 19

I think just posting on those who are active here in the forums is your best bet. πŸ˜€

It WOULD be cool to have a little "currently active" icon/dot/etc.

What I think would be cool is also not always gelling with what FAWM Masters can do easily or WANT for the site.

πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Mar 19

@stevenwesleyguiles - "What I think would be cool is also not always gelling with what FAWM Masters can do easily or WANT for the site."

How. Dare. You...

Don't the FAWM masters know who run things around here?
    πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰

and one more πŸ˜‰ just in case...

• @tcelliott  Mar 19

I absolutely love that it is now understood that anything less than seven smilies means you may not truly be joking.

• @zecoop  Mar 19

@tcelliott - LOLOLOLOL Obviously, why I went with 8

• @zecoop  Mar 19

@tcelliott - but then again... with eight, I may have crossed the line into an intimidating ARMY of winks. That's borderline aggression

• @scottlake  Mar 19

By the way there is an RSS feed for comments. When I can view the whole site I’ll post it here. It works throughout the year.

• @bradbrubaker  Mar 19

Expecting this, I made a more concerted effort to comment DURING FAWM this year, topping 400 comments. This doesn't work for everyone, but I listened to FAWM tracks almost exclusively for my music at my job for the first two weeks.

• @zecoop  Mar 19

@bradbrubaker - Same... but I still love listening after and hate the thought that people might not see my comments.

• @scottlake  Mar 19

Link to get RSS feed of comments on your songs or I believe sound board comments:
    http://fawmorg/fawmers/(insert your FAWM handle here/alerts

And with the link I mentioned above, it will send you emails at your choice of frequency.

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

Ok, so I know I have now crossed the line into how-dare-you-suggest-something-that-would-change-FAWM territory but I have Photoshop and very little self control! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

FAWMer is active and receives email notifications when you comment on their songs

FAWMer is active and does NOT receive email notifications when you comment on their songs

FAWMer is NOT active and receives email notifications when you comment on their songs

FAWMer is NOT active and does NOT receive email notifications when you comment on their songs

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

@scottlake you're missing a period between fawm and org but then it does work.

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

But I still think it requires too much for the typical FAWMer to do. The problem we were discussing is how to push an alert to FAWMers that will give us some assurance they know they received our comment. A solution built into the FAWM website might just accomplish this but a solution that requires each FAWMer to 1) become aware of the solution, 2) figure out how to implement it and then 3) enter the info into a 3rd-party service will prolly get us 10-20% of FAWMers.

Now, on the other hand, for those of us who wish to receive notifications this is an AWESOME solution!! Thanks for the link to this forwarding service. I will def use it going forward!!!

• @zecoop  Mar 19

Careful @johnstaples - you only have six smileys there. Things might get ugly

• @johnstaples  Mar 19

@zecoop , shhhh, I'm running a little experiment to see...well...you know!

• @scottlake  Mar 19

I’ve been using that RSS for probably 10 years, and it has worked that whole time. I prefer it over getting an email just because it’s a nice thing to see when I launch a browser for the first time in the day.

• @rustyp  Mar 20

@scottlakeΒ  and @johnstaplesΒ 
    I found a way to push my RSS feed to my email today. I used IFTTT.
    So far, I'm receiving song comments and soundboard posts.
    I do agree, however, that for the majority of people, that's just extra stuff they aren't gonna do. Not that they aren't capable, just that it's fiddly and, well, kindof antiquated. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
    I just used the link found at the bottom of my soundboard area.

• @scottlake  Mar 20

The service I posted was way easier than IFFT and sends to any email. I could only find a recipe to send RSS to Gmail addresses on IFFT

• @johnstaples  Mar 20

One more thing that occured to me for proactive commenters who want to make sure the target of their love actually sees the comment even though they left FAWM 3 weeks ago...

Only comment on songs by FAWMers who include their email in their profile and when you leave them a comment shoot them a brief email saying,

1) I'm <username> at FAWM
    2) I just commented on one of your songs and wanted to be sure you knew. πŸ˜€
    3) here is the link to the song I commented on
    http://fawm.org/songs/79667/

• @kevinemmrich  Mar 20

So I guess there is still quite a few folks listening and commenting at the moment! Just because I am sort of burned out by March 10th or so, doesn't mean everyone else is. I did manage to listen/comment on a 100 songs in March this year, so maybe my "honesty" is just an alternative fact!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...