Skip to the bottom

• @leah0k  1 week

I’ve ‘bout had it with the dog toenail clicks and other household noises sneaking into my recordings. What are all y’alls “home-studio” soundproofing tricks? I am in a rather open space in my basement with the dining/living rooms above 😏 Ideally I would love to build a little 8x8 or so soundproof space but not sure how much that would cost!

Or don’t. It’s completely up to you.

I want to get listening some more but I’m actually still writing and recording. And y’know, attempting to run this ship that is my family. The struggle is real. You guys feel me.

• @silvermachine  1 week

Uh, quiet neighborhood, carpeted box room, mounds of soft junk, lots of natural body insulation! (angular cheekbones are a sound reflecting nightmare). Soft junk is old clothes and towels, sofas etc..
    It all adds up to a dead room.

• @sapient  1 week

Fairly low input gain on the mic and shitloads of volume in the voice.... That way there's simply no room for noise. I drown it out! Though I recognise that my vocal technique doesn't exactly apply to all genres 😎

• @leah0k  1 week

@silvermachine so did you just build like a plywood box and carpet the whole thing? That seems like it wouldn’t break the bank...

• @airbagtester  1 week

Is your basement's ceiling insulated? Can you staple some R9 up there? Sounds like dog toenail clicks don't have much bass in them, so they could potentially be stopped with a heavy quilt or moving blanket between the mic and the sound source.

• @songsville  1 week

The basic method is to build a stud wall room and fill with rockwool insulation then face the interior with ply or plasterboard. A heavy thick door with seals round the edges. Some power and lighting. Now you are insulated from the outside world, but the wall surface is bright and reflective so you'll need fabric to damp it. Curtains are nice on the walls as you can reveal spots and brighten up the room if it feels too dead. Carpet on the floor.

Personally I just record when I'm alone the house, in a cluttered room like @silvermachine ... I just wear a balaclava to reduce high frequency reflections from my ruggedly chiseled face .... 😀

• @quork  1 week

I keep meaning to sound treat my 9 x 9 room, but it's also the family computer room, so it's bookshelves and nothing more. I often record late at night when the family members are asleep, and have been known to incorporate dog whining sounds into the finished demo. Mostly I figure the songs are demos so random sounds aren't a big deal. Occasionally I'll pay for the family to rent a cabin for the weekend and turn the entire main floor of the now quiet house into a studio.

• @songsville  1 week

Having just built a similar-sized structure (bathroom) I'd say the materials alone would be two or three hundred quid ... perhaps a carpet for the dog to walk on would be more expedient ... 😀

• @airbagtester  1 week

@songsville That's a brilliant way to think outside the isolation box!

• @silvermachine  1 week

@leah0k No it's a real room, I just looked in there one day, saw the mess and thought hey that's a great recording studio already set up for me.
    If you created an enclosure in a corner with old heavy curtains (screw curtain rails to the ceiling?) then put down carpet and good underlay in it, you'd be sorted.
    Make the enclosure big enough for everything.

• @silvermachine  1 week

@songsville Aw bad luck man, on the chiselled profile.

• @standup  1 week

Carpet on the floor above the space is a good idea, (thanks @songsville), maybe an area rug would help.

I'm in a basement too, @leah0k. I stuffed rockwool insulation between the open joists over my head, and covered that with burlap. It deadens the basement, but is not actually sound proof exactly. Cuts down on sound, but anything loud will show up on a recording.

I have to turn off the dehumidifier and wait for the furnace to quit before recording quiet stuff.

But I also record a lot of electric guitar with the mic 1" off the grill, and that's SO MUCH louder than any ambient noise it doesn't matter.

If my wife @pfoo is walking around in the kitchen or something I might have to wait a minute when doing a vocal.

But she's often on the second floor during FAWM working on her own songs.

Edited to add an article about a basement soundproofing project:

• @scottlake  1 week

1. Basement recording room is below a carpeted floor room.
    2. Basement recording room is finished off; suspect there is insulation stapled between floor joists. Sheetrock ceiling in recording room
    3. Basement recording room has no HVAC outlets or cold air returns
    4. Basement recording room has a closet full of winter clothes and sleeping bags and bed linens with sliding doors; I open up one of the doors for the back side of my ‘booth’
    4. I have a GOBO I made and have it covered with 3” acoustic wedge panels. Mic goes in front of that.
    5. Fluffy pillow leans from top of GOBO to wall where the open closet door is located

All of this makes for as good of a dead acoustic space that I co an really hope for. If you are interested leave me a note on my soundboard and I’ll send you pix of what I have.

• @scottlake  1 week

Two 4.s. Sorry to the detail oriented for causing you stress!

• @scottlake  1 week

Put the dog in your recording space while you record; assuming it’s carpeted and he/she doesn’t sing along

• @rustyp  1 week

My studio is set up in a one car garage.
    There is a laundry room to one side. I don't record when that's in use.
    Above the garage is another condo, so I try not to record vocals or acoustic instruments when the occupants there of are moving around. Luckily they do not walk around in heels.
    The garage is mostly carpeted and lots of either soft stuff, a couch and camping articles like backpacks and sleping bags, other articles on shelves are oddly shaped so they defuse instead of reflecting sound.
    There are a few panels of foam on the walls to break up a large wall over the couch.
    I also have a few blankets around to hang up for more dampening if I want it.

But, mic technique, gating and editing are also important. Close mic and careful editing on vocals. and nice strong guitar playing. If you were to listen to some tracks without the gate or at full volume you might hear some stuff, but nothing comes through on the mixed recordings.

I try to record when it's quiet, late at nig

• @standup  1 week

Oh, and I also share the basement with laundry devices. I just don’t record when we need to do laundry.

• @davidhendricks 1 week

Doors are a weak spot, and interior walls are usually not insulated. I used to live in an old house with plaster walls, and it was great. I would do basically all the things @rustyp mentioned, I will say this though: dog toenails are the worst. I don't know what it is, but those vibrations will magically travel through any material it seems. That's the one thing I couldn't totally eliminate.

• @boyatheart  1 week

Something like this should work.

You can also make something similar with one of those fabric storage boxes and fold it flat when you’re not using it.

• @vomvorton  1 week

Carpet for the dog's feet might help, but why not go a step further and simply outfit the dog with adorable padded slippers? Cute and quiet 😉

My recording room is fairly quiet so I just use one of those mic stand mounted shields to prevent too much unwanted room sound. My last house was on a main road and bikers would roar past all summer, I (somewhat) got around that by building a makeshift recording booth by draping heavy blankets over a frame. It looked really ugly but I can't hear much bike noise when I listen back to those tracks! Although it haunts me forever, and anyone who deliberately chooses a vehicle for the volume it makes will forever have a place in my personal hell.

• @bitshred  5 days

@vomvorton I keep meaning to get one of those. I've heard they do a really good job of taking the "room" out. But obviously it needs to be quiet. @leah0k , for pet sounds and what not, you need to eliminate the source. Or put the dog outside while you do vocals or something. I've turned off the heating/cooling system while I record. But I've had to deal with dogs running upstairs, kids running, washer and dryer running, people cooking, showering, etc..So I have to record late at night. A home is noisey, unless you have a separate well insulated room, with a dense door. sLxJAO2RoCGtYQAvD_BwE

• @scottlake  5 days

@bitshred ‘s method is what I relied on for years. Kids are older now and out at practices and what not during reasonable hours so I can usually record for a couple hours. When it gets noisy is when I do my direct in recording or midi recording. Tends to work and keep the creative juices flowing. Oh the dryer is running? Guess it’s electric guitar night!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...