50/90 - NiftyFinety.com podcast

Skip to the bottom

• @oddbod  Mar 12

I discovered that a couple of my demos from last year's 50/90 are up on a podcast (available free on Apple and Mixcloud to name two) under the name NiftyFinety.com. There are also a loads of other 50/90 songs up on the same podcast.
    I personally don't recall giving anyone permission to do this (although I confess it's possible and I don't remember).

Does anyone know anything about this NiftyFinety.com?

• @sph  Mar 12

Never heard about this. I just checked "NiftyFinety.com": it is not registered.

• @barbara  Mar 12

It rings a bell, vaguely, of a fairly new participant who had made a sort of jukebox substitute for themselves, so they could stream, and shared about it in a thread?

• @barbara  Mar 12

I just tried to find any reference to it in 50/90 2017, but you can't search the text of threads, only their titles. Maybe the site owners can, if it seemed important to trace it down.

• @barbara  Mar 12

Used a Google search and it came back with this thread from 50/90 2015

"A podcast of every* 50/90 demo -- NiftyFinety.com"
    (Thread created by mattgillooly)

• @oddbod  Mar 12

@barbara thanks for the link. Good detective work!
    I don't usually get miffed about this kind of thing but in this particular instance, I’ve just included one of those two songs on an album, which is how I picked up on the podcast.

I’m sure a few others may well want to know. To name but a few of the Fawmers I recognise, there are songs by @metalfoot @standup @jibbidy34 @frenchcricket @brrse etc, etc.. I guess in theory any 50/90 participatee could be on there.

• @johnstaples  Mar 12

The website does not even appear to be online any longer.

• @barbara  Mar 12

Mine are there, too.

My guess is Matt didn't do this, but his podcasts might have been scooped up by those fiends who take anything not nailed down. Every song is attributed to "niftyfinety.com" but bears the real artist's username at the end of the title, at least over in Mixcloud.

From the song list, you can just click to play it from there. But if you link out to the song itself, it also posts not just the lyrics, but the liner notes. So that feels like a real breach of trust, which I'm pretty sure was done originally only to create a good 50/90 listener experience to go with the song for actual participants, but now our liner notes are out there in perpetuity on a song service. Not cool. 😞

• @johnstaples  Mar 12

I've had all my songs taken from Soundcloud and put online at various places. I think you just have to accept that when you post something on a public website it is there for the taking. And most people leave their songs on the 50/90 site indefinitely so the only folks who are accessing them are the stealers. I guess we could post during the challenge and then delete at the end to try and minimize this.

Personally I'm just glad the crooks leave my name on my songs. And I hope they are getting more listens there than I have been able to get! 😀

• @airbagtester  Mar 12

http://archive2015.fawmers.com/conten...
    @mattgillooly said "Yeah, I'm definitely trying to be careful not to overdo it on the scraping."

LOL 😁 Oops!

I kind of wish my liner notes containing whatever happened to be on my mind at the time had not been grabbed and re-blogged on some site I have no access to... I don't care so much that my songs are floating away out there, but this makes me think twice about what I should write in my liner notes, or if I should bother to write any liner notes. Oh well, C'est la vie on the internet baby.

• @silvermachine  Mar 12

Hey, the bastards haven't even got my songs playable! I anticipated Russian crime lords secretly deaing my stuff to slavering Moscow punks, hungry for for the real deal, and doing a better job to make me desirable, than anything I'd managed ....and it don't even play, man. Bastards.

• @toms  Mar 12

This is uncool.

• @toms  Mar 12

Although I notice now that I thought it was cool then & gave my permission. So, it's cool.

• @barbara  Mar 12

It just bursts my happy bubble of being in a quiet and secluded corner of the internet, with just you guys. It never was true, but it wasn't so glaring, either.

• @pipewrench67  Mar 12

• @standup  Mar 12

I see one of mine. At least @mattgillooly asked permission. I don't remember if I gave permission or not. I may have.

I'm not sure I see the harm. I doubt this podcast can be monetized.

One solution is to lock your songs down and make them non-downloadable to deter the lazy.

Has anyone questioned @mattgillooly, maybe to ask in a non-confrontational way if he would mind taking this down?

• @tcelliott  Mar 12

Also, I wonder if the songs not playing are the ones that have inactive links. I've not tested, just wondering.

• @toms  Mar 12

@tcelliott , I'm pretty certain you are correct.

• @rustyp  Mar 12

I haven't checked out 50/90 yet, but here at FAWM there's a check box indicating whether you want your songs downloadable for fawm related podcasts. So, can' the same thing happen here?

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

@rustyp - Yes.... with a caveat, I guess. @errol and @charliecheney and a bunch of folks did a daily fawmcast back in... oh, heck... years and years ago. I think '13 was a big year, but my faulty memory could be fooling around. In addition there have been various other types of podcasts and morning shows. @ianuarius and I did one five days a week for four weeks one year. It was insanely early for me... I think it was like 2pm for him, though (and I'm only slightly miffed that he got a full night's sleep all through FAWM!)

Where was I going with this? Oh, right. I've always checked in with the moderating staff before going forward. I'm not sure that's always been true, but checking the download button (or not unchecking it) has been understood as giving permission to use a demo in whatever podcast/fawmcast/internet radio show might have been going on that year.

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

Over at 50/90 the default is unchecked. Here it is checked. I prefer checked as it's a lot of work to do a podcast/fawmcast and chasing down permissions from a lot of people who don't mind, but just forgot to check the box and it is time consuming and tiring.

That being said. This year I didn't do anything (fawmcast/podcast related) and I had a record number of songs (for me) and an all around more fun time. But I think I got less "keepers" out of this year so I don't know what that means really.

• @rustyp  Mar 13

Ah, @tcelliott  you answered my question then whether there existed the same button in 50/90. So, either they changed the default or some how people got around the button for that remaining podcast with every ones songs. At any rate, a podcast would seem cool, but a lot of work! 😀

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

@rustyp I think they didn't actually get all the songs and host them. I think they are using the links we provided. So it is simply a copy of your song post, reformatted and using the link supplied on the site.

The good news is that no-one (or practically no-one) will listen to any of those songs on those sites. At least the chances are minute. It's a needle in a haystack for someone out in the giant world wide web to pick a random 50/90 or Fawm song to listen to.

• @airbagtester  Mar 13

I would like to change all my liner notes to say, "If you are reading this please help! I am trapped in a well! I am documenting my mishap in song form in the hopes that someone will hear it and send me a ladder and new guitar strings."

• @toms  Mar 13

😁 And sandwiches, @airbagtester ! How about sandwiches?! 😀

• @charliecheney  Mar 13

I did the fawm cast in 2009/2010 I believe. I think 2010 is the year I traveled the USA doing shows at other FAWMers houses and apartments and such from Jan 15-March 15, 60 shows in 60 days.

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

Which was awesome, @charliecheney.

• @frenchcricket Mar 26

I spy @vomvorton in there too

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...